• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ancient Instruments & Music

My Dad had an ocarina. Sadly, he got rid of it and all his other instruments when he married my Mum. All wind instruments - ocarina, cornet, saxophone, clarinet.

Did she have some kind of allergy to wind instruments?

The Theorbo, dating to 1600s

Certainly a pain to transport.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ocarinas always remind me of Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, which was the first place I had heard of them.
It always brings to my mind, Robert Rankins 'Raiders of the Lost Carpark' along with electric blue Cadillac Eldorados and Portmanteaus lol, and of course the mysteries of multiplying tiny screws, and missing socks and teaspoons being solved :p

Heilungs new album is out, i was not sure how i would react to it since its a step away from their Viking/iron age roots, but it is very, very good, especially their attempt at the worlds oldest complete song.

... where we came in. According to the doco I'm watching on TV (The Celts - Neil Oliver and Alice Roberts), John Kenny is the only carnyx player on earth. Here he is.

Brit Celts hand French Celts their own arse in this regard.

John Kenny does have some stupendous talent on the wind instruments though. Harken:

By way of a bump, here's the short (yet wonderful) version.

There is a Greek band called Daemonia Nymphe who try to reproduce the music of Ancient Greece . I am particularly taken by their track titled 'Orphic Hymn to Dionysos'
Here is Youtube version with the Greek and English lyrics.

The Youtube algorithm gave me this. Baroque brass and drums.
These instruments are quite primitive so sometimes it's a bit out of tune, but it's impressive what they can do:

Look what you can do without any stops!

Last edited:
The Youtube algorithm gave me this. Baroque brass and drums.
These instruments are quite primitive so sometimes it's a bit out of tune, but it's impressive what they can do:

Look what you can do without any stops!

I misread this and thought we were getting Baroque drum'n'bass! :chuckle:

The warlike “noise” of the trumpeters and timpanists is described in many historical accounts as a frightening event.

With "Royal Splendor! - The Art of the Court Trumpeters and Army Timpanists" the ALEX Studio experiences a powerful sound demonstration performed by the Baroque Trumpet Ensemble Berlin under the direction of Johann Plietzsch.
What a brilliant sound.

Back