• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Europe's Oldest Human-Made Megastructure May Be At The Bottom Of The Baltic Sea

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
A stone wall underneath the Baltic Sea may be the oldest known megastructure built by humans in Europe. It dates back about 11,000 years to the Stone Age, and was first discovered in 2021 about six miles off of Germany’s Baltic coast.

stone-age-wall.png

The Blinkerwall is about half a mile long along the Bay of Mecklenburg. It was initially spotted by accident when a team of scientists from Kiel University in Germany were using a multibeam sonar system from a research vessel to study the crust of the seafloor.

The team believes that Stone Age hunter-gatherers likely built it about 11,000 years ago to hunt reindeer. Hunting walls like this would catch herds of animals that are more likely to run parallel alongside obstacles instead of jumping over them.

While the Baltic Sea is currently about 68 feet deep in this location, the Blinkerwall was likely built before the sea level rose about 8,500 years ago, towards the end of the last Ice Age.

https://www.popsci.com/science/europe-oldest-megastructure-bottom-of-the-sea/

maximus otter

A stone wall underneath the Baltic Sea may be the oldest known megastructure built by humans in Europe. It dates back about 11,000 years to the Stone Age, and was first discovered in 2021 about six miles off of Germany’s Baltic coast.

stone-age-wall.png

The Blinkerwall is about half a mile long along the Bay of Mecklenburg. It was initially spotted by accident when a team of scientists from Kiel University in Germany were using a multibeam sonar system from a research vessel to study the crust of the seafloor.

The team believes that Stone Age hunter-gatherers likely built it about 11,000 years ago to hunt reindeer. Hunting walls like this would catch herds of animals that are more likely to run parallel alongside obstacles instead of jumping over them.

While the Baltic Sea is currently about 68 feet deep in this location, the Blinkerwall was likely built before the sea level rose about 8,500 years ago, towards the end of the last Ice Age.

https://www.popsci.com/science/europe-oldest-megastructure-bottom-of-the-sea/

maximus otter

Hunck beat you to it.

https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...w-findings-theories.26092/page-4#post-2326093

Hunck beat you to it.
So he did but as someone who is far too slow to follow all the threads I was interested to find it here. Now of course I've been alerted to the 'stone age' thread which I'd not noticed before so thanks for the nudge. :)

So he did but as someone who is far too slow to follow all the threads I was interested to find it here. Now of course I've been alerted to the 'stone age' thread which I'd not noticed before so thanks for the nudge. :)

You must have been stoned not to notice it!

Back