• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT435

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
A very wet copy has dropped through the letterbox.
Margaret Murray and The Wicker Man are headlining and I will start to read it when it dries out.
These paper envelopes are really not up to it. Maybe they should move to a compostable plastic envelope like some other magazines.

Margaret Murray and The Wicker Man are headlining and I will start to read it when it dries out.
These paper envelopes are really not up to it. Maybe they should move to a compostable plastic envelope like some other magazines.

Agreed, I love the idea of paper envelopes, but they're just not very good, sadly :(

That time of the month comes round again!

First impressions:

Oliver Lepick, the French mayor who authorised digging up an old stone circle to build a supermarket on the site. It occurs to me that this is an unparelleled opportunity to empirically test out the proposition that harm and misfortune inevitably arrive for anyone who does this. After all, this has been a tenet of folklore for thousands of years? Do not level or plough over the fairy mound. Or they will take vengeance. Do not move the stone. Or you are evermore accursed.

We'd have to be careful here as the article implies the man has already received threats and isn't exactly the most popular guy in the area right now. (and by the way, I should put it in print that this is certainly not advocating anyone should receive that sort of threat). But if Monsieur le Maire Lepick comes to grief with anything utterly inexplicable - or indeed the other named person, M. Stéphane Doriel, owner of the chain store to be built where the stone circle was - then this would be one for the Fortean annals and is worth monitoring?

In fact, on the Carnac thing.... the last verse of this traditional English ballad has something to say on the topic.

You don't need to go to Poland to board the 666 bus. Kent, England has one: the 666 service runs from Faversham to Ashford and in between takes in the Purgatory which is the William Harvey Hospital. I noticed this while on holiday down those parts:
1691242018319.png

Agreed, I love the idea of paper envelopes, but they're just not very good, sadly :(
They certainly aren't dog proof. Many of my more recent editions of the mag have toothmarked, ripped covers as a result of being delivered through the letterbox when I wasn't in to intercept.
Although, to be fair, I'm not sure that reinforced concrete would stop this dog.

My experience today too, unfortunately.
They certainly aren't dog proof. Many of my more recent editions of the mag have toothmarked, ripped covers as a result of being delivered through the letterbox when I wasn't in to intercept.
Although, to be fair, I'm not sure that reinforced concrete would stop this dog.

I don't have a dog, but the postie did a fair imitation, scrunching the FT up and shoving it through the letterbox so that the damp envelope ripped. Not spotted any toothmarks yet.

EDIT: I spoke too soon. Deeper investigation reveals there is indeed a 666 bus service in Greater Manchester but it's right on the edge of the conurbation, in Lancashire, linking small towns out to the west of Wigan. If only it could be re-routed further east and travel on the road into Bolton known as St Peter's Way, but which also has the designation of the A666, then this would be perfect as well as beautifully recursive. https://moovitapp.com/index/en-gb/public_transportation-line-666-North_West-2105-1832496-61330941-0

Seconded.
My FT 345 also arrived in a slightly damp and bedraggled state but was fortunately still quite readable.
Indeed readable enough to spot the error on page 4.
Queen Victoria's eldest grandson was not Prince Albert Edward but rather the future Kaiser Wilhem II , 1859-1941.

I loved the article about the robot politicians - tongue very firmly in cheek.
You'd think that 'errors', such as stumbling, not eating bacon sandwiches 'nicely', or being photographed with an unflattering expression, show human fallibility but noooooo #sarcasm.
The theory of clones/robots in public figures, in my opinion, has gained traction thanks to the AI debate.
Interesting to note that the Wiki entry points out the potential antisemitism was raised:

In October 2014, UK Independence Party leader Nigel Farage made headlines for eating a bacon sandwich while campaigning before the Heywood and Middleton by-election.[8]
In November 2014, The Independent writer Boyd Tonkin linked the media narrative around the photograph to antisemitism, stating that "His clumsy aversion to pork products betrays him as an alien, a member of some foreign tribe" while the media reported that Farage ate his sandwich better because "Nige is authentically one of us".[9]

We had a wire cage to catch the letters but the dog ate that too.

I love the meta-advert on page 11. The one where FT's publishers are shilling for trade and seeking to lure in paying advertisers by confidently asserting

If you would like to promote your business to over 14,000 Fortean Times subscribers, who have plenty of disposable income to boot....

I mean. There's over-confidence. How do you know we're not on our uppers and scrounging together the cost of a sub every year as we simply can't do without FT, regardless of the arse falling out of our trousers and holes in our shoes? Disposable income? Me? In Britain in 2023? (pauses for hollow sarcastic laugh....) Not annoyed or anything but this rather presumes.

but this rather presumes.
Well, it does: but we can all bet the stats will side with the broad thrust of that bold assertion. Sheer demographic certainty, due to that good-old bell curve.

I'm far from well-off myself (always suffer from far too much month at the end of the money) but I do earnestly wish you financial surplus @AgProv (although; I shall stop short of any horoscoptic sooth-sayings: for now)

ps I did win £250 via an online scratchcard yesterday, so perhaps the luck of all forum members is on the up!

The thing about the alleged meteorite that landed on a woman in France (after impacting on her roof and shattering, but dissipating the impact force after it bounced off and hit the woman?)

It went to a scientific expert in France who analysed it and threw it back with some scorn, insisting "This is not a meteorite!" and elaborating on this theme, managing to come over in the article as if he'd been personally insulted.

Why am I thinking of René Magritte here....

"Ceci n'est pas une météorite!"

Well, it does: but we can all bet the stats will side with the broad thrust of that bold assertion. Sheer demographic certainty, due to that good-old bell curve.

I'm far from well-off myself (always suffer from far too much month at the end of the money) but I do earnestly wish you financial surplus @AgProv (although; I shall stop short of any horoscoptic sooth-sayings: for now)

ps I did win £250 via an online scratchcard yesterday, so perhaps the luck of all forum members is on the up!
Oh, well done! We have a weekly punt on EuroMillions. As often as not we win our stake money back and then a little on top; amounts of £3.50 a time, sometimes a bit higher. While I'm not ungrateful, I would like the decimal point to move a bit further to the right sometime; this long run of small wins is tantalising and I am conscientiously trying not to feel frustrated that while we're consistent winners - the sums involved could be bigger, please? We've established the principle - that I can get winning lottery tickets - now all we need to do is to haggle over the amount. Up to you, patron spirits. And thank you.

I attended hidden charms 4 at york and agree with rob a very enjoyable day spent learning new and interesting things/facts. A good day out

I missed the event.
I know I haven't looked but is there an event guide in the FT?
Might there be room for one, say in the January issue?

I missed the event.
I know I haven't looked but is there an event guide in the FT?
Might there be room for one, say in the January issue?
There isn't such a thing in FT but there is a place on here where we can place details of events such as this. In fact I think this event was the first one listed. I'll add the link when I get home.

Should I communicate the idea to the editorial team? After all, this message board may be seen by them, but many readers aren't on it?

Should I communicate the idea to the editorial team? After all, this message board may be seen by them, but many readers aren't on it?
David Sutton's email is in the mag or you can send him a PM via this Forum as he is a member here.

Just tried a search on Members with no results. I'll just email.

Here I am! Yes, drop me a line – it's a good idea. Rob Gandy was planning to do something similar to keep track of and do listings for fortean events, but perhaps we just forgot about it. Anyway, back to work...

On The Wicker Man - and a memory that this movie, late-night on BBC2, livened up an adolescent imagination very incandescently. You can never have enough Willow when you're fourteen. (Although there was a corresponding disappointment that - apparently - the far more alluring Diane Cilento character is only glimpsed with her clothes off in one brief long shot. Poor production there.).

This might be a Mandela moment, but one thing the interview skips over is something I'm sure I read, about it not really being her at all in the naked dance, and that a body double was used for the full-body shots? Not to do with actress modesty, but because Britt Ekland was visibly pregnant at the time? Mr Hardy in the interview is clear it was all Britt and praises the quality of her dancing... mystery.

Last edited:
On The Wicker Man - and a memory that this movie, late-night on BBC2, livened up an adolescent imagination very incandescently. You can never have enough Willow when you're fourteen. (Although there was a corresponding disappointment that - apparently - the far more alluring Diane Cilento character is only glimpsed with her clothes off in one brief long shot. Poor production there.).

This might be a Mandela moment, but one thing the interview skips over is something I'm sure I read about it not really being her at all in the naked dance, and that a body double was used for the full-body shots? Not to do with actress modesty, but because Britt Ekland was visibly pregnant at the time? Mr Hardy in the interview is clear it was all Britt and praises the quality of her dancing... mystery.
Yes it was always my understanding that a stunt bottom was used.

Yes it was always my understanding that a stunt bottom was used.
According to Ingrid Pitt the bottom belonged to Lorraine Peters, who I read elsewhere, also appears briefly as a naked woman on a grave.

https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/the-ingrid-pitt-column-the-making-of-the-wicker-man/

She also reveals that whilst in the Wicker Man itself, Edward Woodward was urinated on by some of the nervous animals above him, & that Christopher Lee said it was the best film he ever appeared in, & did it for nothing.

Spooky- maybe you’re right - I’ve just won £51 on the Lotto this weekend- most I’ve ever won... coulda done with a few noughts after it tho’- still mustn’t be ( too) ungrateful... I might blow it on a couple of gallons of petrol for the bike!

Back