• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT437

AgProv

Doctor of Disorientation Studies, UnseenUniversity
too North to be Midlands, too south to be North
Here we go again:

Spook Shows
Jan Bondeson's Haunted Houses
Nigel Kneale's Beasts
Alien Corpses
State Of The Spectral Nation

First impression: the white envelope appears to be thicker, heavier, and more substantial.

Somebody must have been listening to all the annoyed comments here about the way the packaging disintegrated on even hearing about a light shower of rain ten miles away?

First dip, first thoughts.

The article on the robot dogs: it describes how a robotic hound appeared to be accepted by, and happily played with, a real flesh-and-blood pup.

My horrible mind wondered what form a Turing Test might take for a robot dog. Would it involve the epoch-defining moment where the robot dog and the real dog sniff each other's bums? Or... what if the real dog gets overcome with primal doggy instinct and tries to hump the robot. I wonder if the makers have anticipated this and are building robustly?

Also... the robotic arm/sex toy that plugs into a car's electrics and performs intimate service for the driver while the car is in motion. THAT's going to end well, I'm sure. (question: was the designer called Howard Wolowitz?)

Howard and the robotic arm, TBBT

First dip, first thoughts.

The article on the robot dogs: it describes how a robotic hound appeared to be accepted by, and happily played with, a real flesh-and-blood pup.

My horrible mind wondered what form a Turing Test might take for a robot dog. Would it involve the epoch-defining moment where the robot dog and the real dog sniff each other's bums? Or... what if the real dog gets overcome with primal doggy instinct and tries to hump the robot. I wonder if the makers have anticipated this and are building robustly?

Also... the robotic arm/sex toy that plugs into a car's electrics and performs intimate service for the driver while the car is in motion. THAT's going to end well, I'm sure. (question: was the designer called Howard Wolowitz?)

Howard and the robotic arm, TBBT
My dog (a bitch, incidentally) will attempt to hump my shoulder if I sit next to her when she's in a 'flighty' mood. I've known some male dogs to hump cushions and their beds - I wonder if one has ever tried to hump a robot hoover, that might give us a clue.

Looking forward to opening my (robust) envelope!

Got it today, and as usual immersed myself it it.
Not bad at all.
Two books I want to get (as soon as I've fluidity) and a desire to watch a TV series on Amazon.
I might be reaching my breaking point: I'm considering paying to see Gef.

For the first time in living memory, an article I want to read - Spook Shows.

Overall not a bad edition.
I did find the two-page article about the MOD and UFOs to be very poor though.
Took two pages of unnecessarily repetitive and verbose text to tell us next to nothing.
Talk about padding!

I'm glad my article on the state of the nation's ghosts got in, albeit unexpectedly!
The full results of my survey (including discussion) and a list of fleecing ghost venues is on my website www.paullee.com/ghosts
Your article was excellent and also, coincidently, came at a useful time.

I've got a friend who's decided to start being what you've described in your article and going about it the wrong way as well. I've been chatting with him online yesterday and today and he's super enthusiastic and wants me to go with him to 'show him how it's done'.

I told him to take two of everything including the flask of hot beverage, the first aid kit and a sandwich .. make written records with pen and paper, wear a Casio watch so you don't have to keep switching a torch on which will cause light blur on anything you're filming .. to keep his phone switched off around certain EMF meters (to his credit, most people don't know this and he was taking notes), that a K2 isn't to be pointed at areas like we'd point a TV remote control. Then his team leader (who I've never met or had any contact with in any way, online or not) sent me a recorded message telling me I was wrong because blah blah blah channel with lots of likes says this instead. I switched off about 20 seconds into an over 2 minute rant presumably. This bloke has just completed his first investigation.

[...] I was wrong because blah blah blah channel with lots of likes says this instead. I switched off about 20 seconds into an over 2 minute rant presumably. This bloke has just completed his first investigation.
As if having lots of 'likes' shows a scientific validation.
Good grief. That marks him down in the credibility-stakes.

As if having lots of 'likes' shows a scientific validation.
Good grief. That marks him down in the credibility-stakes.
I made the mistake of wearing a cheap material (although very warm) puffa jacket on my first filming invest. When I watched back what I'd filmed at home, I could hear the sound of my arm constantly brushing against my waist when I moved the camcorder which is obviously not good when you're also trying to record hi def sound at the same time. It's all a learning curve.

Back