• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

stephat31

Fresh Blood
Many years ago when I was a child about 8 years of age, I was definitely a tomboy ! I loved anything to do with Tarzan and swinging from trees
was favourite pastime ! At that time I lived near a local woodland in which I used to play "Tarzan" with some of the local lads, we used to tie ropes
from tree to tree and had a great time swinging from the branches .. On this particular occasion we all decided instead of playing on the lower level of the woods we would climb to the top of he cliff where the was an old chapel, upon arriving at the top somewhat breathless, I was delighted to see and old tree next to the chapel overhanging the cliff, it was a sheer drop to the ground around 100ft. At that age i knew no fear and immediately jumped on to the branch knowing I could easily swing back to the ground. Unfortunately one of the lads I was with decided to jump on the branch behind me. I only had one option and that was to let go.. The last thing I remember was looking up at the old stone cross on the chapel roof. It was in that moment I had an experience that has stayed with me throughout my life.
Immediately I let go of the branch time literally stood still. I became aware that everything around me was bathed in a golden glow, there was perfect peace and silence. Then I became aware of a "presence" on my right side, there was a very strong feeling of comfort. Together this "presence" and I watched, as if in slow motion, my friends running down the opposite bank shouting in panic that I would be killed. The next thing I remember was being placed gently on the ground at the foot of the cliff and my friends running up amazed that I was still alive!
I am much older now and I still live near to those woods, I have been up there many times since and looking down at the jagged cliff and sheer drop I know there is no way I should have survived but I am here to tell the tale.. In later years after getting a PC and researching online I have found out the history of the chapel which has made me even more curious as to what I actually experienced that day.
I will try and post link but not sure if it will work. https://wearesouthdevon.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/chapel1.png

That specific link only shows a picture of the chapel. Is there another page on the website that has the history?

Possibly St. Michael’s chapel, Torquay?

chapel-john-salter-1868.jpg

More info:

https://wearesouthdevon.com/the-forgetting-of-torquays-medieval-chapel/

IMG_1587.png

maximus otter

Actually, I was completely wrong.

View attachment 73898

Frustratingly, the accompanying newspaper article is headlined 'We bought a derelict chapel which everyone is convinced is haunted' but then provides no details about the alleged haunting (this is the place I mentioned a while back, which is supposedly haunted by a Black Shuck-type entity).

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifestyle/welsh-homes/we-bought-derelict-chapel-everyone-23853016
Not something I'd want to do. And how are gravesites dealt with? If a church is moved or closed, usually the graves are moved to another cemetery.

Back