• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Blimey, it took them long enough, but see here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8097237.stm

Honours for Lee, Faldo and Delia

Veteran horror star Christopher Lee and golfer Nick Faldo have been knighted in the Queen's Birthday Honours.

Lee, 87, has more than 250 film and TV appearances to his name, while Faldo, 51, has won six Major golf titles.

Lee, who has more than 250 film and TV appearances to his name, became famous in the Hammer Horror movies of the 1950s and 1960s.

More recently, he appeared as Saruman in The Lord Of The Rings trilogy and Count Dooku in the Star Wars prequels.

He is still working and a representative said he was unavailable for comment on his knighthood as he was filming in New Mexico.

Still working! The man is a legend, and it's great that he's still so much in demand. He's done so much for fantastical cinema over the years, even if he does think he's only made three horror films (or whatever he says).

Any favourite Sir Christopher Lee films?

I recall reading years ago that Lee held the record for most film roles / appearances by a single actor. Is that still the case?

Dracula, The Devil Rides Out and The Wicker Man are the obvious choices.

I'm also fond of To The Devil A Daughter and Gremlins 2.

But of course, as everybody knows, Howling II is just so freakin' awesome. How it never won an oscar I shall never know :twisted:

EnolaGaia said:
I recall reading years ago that Lee held the record for most film roles / appearances by a single actor. Is that still the case?

I think it's the most roles by a living actor, but he's probably caught up by now!

He also has a great interest in the supernatural, with a library on the subject that supposedly rivals Jeremy Beadle's.

About time too. Well done.

And on the subject of Knighthoods, isn't it about time Gerry Anderson was recognised?

bigphoot1 said:
About time too. Well done.

And on the subject of Knighthoods, isn't it about time Gerry Anderson was recognised?
Or, at least, Silvia Anderson.

'Yus! Me Lady.' :)

Glad Lee got a gong. Definitely about time. I remember him saying in an interview that he had promise as an opera singer. Perhaps - he does have a good tenor, methinks - but the acting profession would've lost a great voice!

A lame fillum, maybe, but he played a great supervillain in Captain Invincible, and who can forget his portrayal as Death?

He also has a great interest in the supernatural, with a library on the subject that supposedly rivals Jeremy Beadle's.

He's also a collector of special forces memorabilia, having been involved with the Long Range Desert Group as an intelligence officer during ww2.

And the Bafta goes to...

Bafta is awarding Christopher Lee the life time achievement award tonight, I wonder if his aceptance speech will use the phrase "Fangs for the memory".

I was shocked at how frail dear old Summerisle looked. If Peter Jackson wants him to have a role in The Hobbit he'd better hurry up and get it made I think. :(

It's about bloody time he was honoured in some way, considering the sheer volume of his output!

paulsamfreya said:
I was shocked at how frail dear old Summerisle looked.
I know people in the film industry, and one has worked with Lee a few times, most recently last year. She said that up close he has suddenly become his age (ditto Roger Moore.)

So it seems both Bond and Scaramanga's attic portraits have been discovered...

At least Sir Christopher is still much in demand and able to pick promising projects (he's in the new Hammer horror movie!). Have you seen that trailer for the new cartoon that Sir Sean lent his voice to? I'd have rather have had League of Extraordinary Gentlemen as his final movie.

I think I'd have preferred the film he did before League to have been his last film.

He should do a Paul Newman and offer his services to Pixar before he pops his clogs. Anything but that Scottish skateboarding grandpa movie!

Fascinating answers on the subject of black magic:

Saw this good photograph.

Taken at Cadogan Square, London (2005).

FM_Ksz2XsAAEY5W.jpeg.jpg

New documentary on its way.

I'm a bit wary of the angle they're playing up here, because the consensus among those who have looked into it is that his wartime record--although gallant and worthy--does not seem to bear any traces of 'special' or 'clandestine' service. Rather, he was good at (and enjoyed) shooting a line.

That said, I hope the project is a success.

Back