• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Summer Travels

Night_Watch

Junior Acolyte
Hey all! Although I'm not so much of a Fortean traveller there are a few places of interest I've been. Castles in beloved Northumberland and York that have historic value and [some] with paranormal activity come to mind. Archeology sites near home and in North East England, as visited on many a summer school trip, have some Fortean worth too. A weekend stay at a London church [Hammersmith maybe] sleeping in a rumoured to be haunted crypt was chilly and ... chilling. Maybe my most interesting 'travel' was twenty five or so summers ago when I briefly worked as a volunteer helping with conservation of Maiden Castle [an Iron Age hillfort] in Dorset. Further afield and another summer was a visit to Montserrat [Spain] with an included viewing of the 'Black Madonna'.

Anywho! Last summer I was visiting family in Germany when the 9€ per month travel 'anywhere' permit was all the rage. As it was so cheap to do so we decided to visit a few places. We had a couple days in Berlin where we took in the sights including sections of a certain wall, checkpoint Charlie and the fastest elevator in Europe - twenty five floors in twenty seconds - and the Panoramapunkt. There was then a day with 'Tuffi' spotting on The Wuppertaler Schwebebahn ("Wuppertal Suspension Railway") which is a great experience for those interested in railways or engineering in general. That same day we visited the not altogether Fortean yet still very interesting Chocolate museum in Cologne. [SuGaR RuSh!].

I was, throughout those 'expeditions', taken right back to my childhood and those other mostly enjoyed summer trips. We still never found the Three Hare Window in Paderborn [around the Dom] though we do now know how to get to it on our next visit.

With still untold journeys and, hopefully, more to come maybe I am more of a Fortean traveller than first realised. Happy travels too you all!

And to you!

I enjoyed a really great 'ghost walk' around York one night around 20 years ago, in a group led by a very urbane elderly gent in a white suit & trilby. Good fun. Like you I queued to see the Black Madonna in Montserrat too :)

We are taking a sneaky mid week break to Suffolk- Sutton hoo at las, been on my wish list for ages. even better- just realized we can fit in the UFO trail through Rendalsham forest! Not sure what to pack!
Ooh jealous! I'd LOVE to visit Sutton Hoo. I'll put it on my list.

Back