• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Recording

Aydee_Aitchdee

Plastic Gnostic
I'm sorry for the vague title, but I couldn't come up with a better headline. The back story: around 10 years ago, I just got a new Kindle that had internet, the last Kindle before they turned them into bloated Android tablets. I had downloaded an app, I think it was called SleepBot. You would turn it on when you went to bed and it would record any sounds made while you were asleep. I downloaded it, because I did talk in my sleep a lot as a kid.

Not long after, I took a trip back home to see my folks. Now, their guest room had, at one time, been my step grandmother's bedroom before she passed away and there was one instance years ago when my toddler niece was spending the night in the room and the next morning, my stepmom found the bedroom windows had been closed... but my niece wasn't tall enough or strong enough to do so and she said that Granny (step grandmother) had closed them in the night.

So, as I said, I had taken a trip back home to see my folks, went to bed that night and put Sleepbot on and went to sleep and when I woke up, this was on there. I'd love to hear your thoughts, the first part is me sleep talking, but I'd love any interpretations what the other voice said

https://www.whyp.it/tracks/155758/weird?token=tnK9b

As always, the obligatory Mods - if you have a better spot for this post, feel free to move it.

I'd like to cross reference this with my mysterious finding of my bedroom window closed one night over on the Minor Strangeness thread.

Spoiler - I suspect I, annoyed by owls or some other noise in the depths of the night, got up and closed it whilst still mostly asleep and promptly forgot about doing it.

The second noise sounds like a very, very quiet version of those old Sasquatch recordings.

So you have a domestic Sasquatch infestation.
rolling on the floor laughing so hard all i can do is wheeze

Sorry to everyone, I thought I put in my post but must've deleted it at some point. The first "awuh? wuhuh" thing is absolutely me. At the very very end is a voice that sounds robotic. I think I can hear what it says, wondered what you all think. Ohhhh the hoster I used cut off the end. Here's a link to the original file, it's the sound at the very end.

http://tinyurl.com/AydeeAitchdee

I would tend to agree with the earlier assessment that this is merely sleep sounds.

The fact that the initial sound is followed by a resulting, as if stirring and changing sleep position, would suggest a REM state where there is no sleep paralysis and that you may be actively dreaming and shifting about as you do. This would also lend itself to vocalisation.

Good catch, though.

The extra sounds are deeper and do sound a little robotic but could conceivably still be you. Obvious question but I assume you were sleeping alone?
Yup, alone and no audio playing - music or tv or the like. And I agree it could still be me but my voice isn't that low without having to do the deeeep voice sort of effect one does when changing their vocal tones. In the end, it's just a little bit of weirdness that's always mystified me.

Yup, alone and no audio playing - music or tv or the like. And I agree it could still be me but my voice isn't that low without having to do the deeeep voice sort of effect one does when changing their vocal tones. In the end, it's just a little bit of weirdness that's always mystified me.

I can imagine a sleeping person, especially one who is dreaming making all sorts of odd noises they wouldn't otherwise make.

I had a sound-activated 'sleep talk recording' app. It mostly picked up me snoring and farting and my dogs fighting when the little one rolled off the bed and landed on the big one.

However, it did record what seemed to be heavy footsteps on a wooden floor. Nobody here wears shoes at night and we can afford a carpet.

I had a sound-activated 'sleep talk recording' app. It mostly picked up me snoring and farting and my dogs fighting when the little one rolled off the bed and landed on the big one.

However, it did record what seemed to be heavy footsteps on a wooden floor. Nobody here wears shoes at night and we can afford a carpet.
That’s why I wouldn’t do it, I’d be worried what I’d hear.

I've got hair-trigger dog. If there were footsteps in the night loud enough to be picked up on an app then I would expect to have already been woken by the cacophenous barking.

No barking = noises of perfectly ordinary origin that are not as loud as they sound on the app.

Back