• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weirdness On A Walk

Wombat68

I'll be chilling at Booya Moon
I like to walk in a small wood near my home it has a lovely feel to it and I've never felt frightened there. Yesterday I set off down a path I've used countless times before I walked into something I can only describe as thicker air it felt like I was having to push my way through. I could feel resistance for about 10 steps then everything was back to normal. Being a nosey weirdo and lover of odd things I turned round and walked through it again it was the same. Has anyone else experienced anything like this??

I like to walk in a small wood near my home it has a lovely feel to it and I've never felt frightened there. Yesterday I set off down a path I've used countless times before I walked into something I can only describe as thicker air it felt like I was having to push my way through. I could feel resistance for about 10 steps then everything was back to normal. Being a nosey weirdo and lover of odd things I turned round and walked through it again it was the same. Has anyone else experienced anything like this??
That is so intriguing and classic IHTM stuff, care to share whereabouts this was? Doesn't have to be specific...

I walked into something I can only describe as thicker air it felt like I was having to push my way through. I could feel resistance for about 10 steps then everything was back to normal. Being a nosey weirdo and lover of odd things I turned round and walked through it again it was the same. Has anyone else experienced anything like this??
I haven't, but a friend of mine did, a long time ago.
She was invited to a party at the home of a friend of a friend, whom she had never met before, so she'd never been to that house. Everyone was very friendly and she was having a good time. She then asked the hostess the way to the WC, and the hostess said it was upstairs and pointed the way. As my friend left the room, she noticed heads turning to look at her, but decided this was just normal curiosity about a newcomer to the circle. Off she went to the toilet.

She left the bathroom and started walking back down the stairs. After a couple of steps, she felt the air thicken in the way you describe, plus the air/light around her seemed to become tinged with yellowy green. She said it was like trying to walk through treacle. Then a couple of steps further on, everything was OK again.

She went back into the room and the hostess asked, 'Did anything happen when you went to the toilet?' which is obviously a weird question. My friend related her experience and the hostess said, 'Yes, that always happens when someone new visits. It's the house's way of saying "Hello". It won't happen next time you need the toilet' and indeed it didn't.

My friend says she had had a couple of drinks but no drugs, and it did cross her mind that the hostess might have rigged up some coloured lights but didn't see how she could make the air thicker. Also, the rest of the party was just normal conversation and dancing and no reason to think anyone had played a trick on her.

Always weird when the atmosphere of a familiar place like this. In the balmy days of last summer, I would, with a couple of work colleagues, hang about in a small wooded area on the way back home. We'd often stay till it got dark before walking back to town along the canal. We got the wooded area 'The Portal' - a childhood habit I still have of giving places names. We would light candles, and badly read tarot cards (I am very out of practise) - but it was a kind of 'ritualising' The Portal. Despite this sounding like something teenagers might get up to, I'm well into my 50s now. Last autumn, we thought we would do the same. It was dark by the time we got to The Portal, and we took one look at it and we both though 'no way'. It was probably because it was dark, and we usually arrived when it was light - but the darkness seemed of a thicker quality, more threatening that the summer nights, and we hurried past the trees in somewhat of a slight spooked out panic. The thought of hanging out in the wood seemed utterly absurd.

Always weird when the atmosphere of a familiar place like this. In the balmy days of last summer, I would, with a couple of work colleagues, hang about in a small wooded area on the way back home. We'd often stay till it got dark before walking back to town along the canal. We got the wooded area 'The Portal' - a childhood habit I still have of giving places names. We would light candles, and badly read tarot cards (I am very out of practise) - but it was a kind of 'ritualising' The Portal. Despite this sounding like something teenagers might get up to, I'm well into my 50s now. Last autumn, we thought we would do the same. It was dark by the time we got to The Portal, and we took one look at it and we both though 'no way'. It was probably because it was dark, and we usually arrived when it was light - but the darkness seemed of a thicker quality, more threatening that the summer nights, and we hurried past the trees in somewhat of a slight spooked out panic. The thought of hanging out in the wood seemed utterly absurd.
That's how I felt as if I'd stumbled into a place I wasn't welcome

It doesn't happen often, but I sometimes have a similar experience; I generally put it down to a side effect of fatigue, but I'm not entirely sure that this is always the case.

The way I've reasoned it with myself is that it's as if my brain is telling itself that my body should be moving faster than it is, and is compensating for the apparent disjunction by telling itself that the space around me is creating more resistance than it usually does. (It's maybe important to note that the effect really does feel like the inward exertion of an external force, rather than something obviously internal, like the weary movement of aching limbs.)

If that's anything like the effect being described, then I'm quite familiar with it - but my interpretation wouldn't explain why such a phenomenon would affect different people traveling through the same place.

This isn't a very serious suggestion, but: midges? Not likely at this time of year, though, and I'm sure you'd have recognised if that was all it was.

I think woods at night can suddenly become threatening places - it happens to me occasionally when I walk Dreadful Dog down to the local copse, about half a mile down the road from my house. I am used to passing it at all hours in all conditions, but sometimes it makes my flesh creep and I have to hurry past. I wonder if there's something that my brain is picking up that I am unware of - maybe scent (I know there are badgers in the wood and it's not beyond the realms of possibility that something dead is lying in there, that I can 't consciously smell but my brain knows there's something 'scary' in there) or just that maybe something is moving out of my line of sight, but I've subconsciously become aware of it. My brain is telling me not to go in there - as if I would!

The reason that I don't think there's anything 'really' scary in the wood is that Dreadful Dog doesn't react at all. She's fast enough to start barking and growling if there's anything around - deer often come bursting out in front of us and she'll bark the place down, but she doesn't react when I'm getting the 'creeps'.

It's in West Suffolk the woods are called Puddlebrook

Puddlebrook-OS-map-26-14-10.jpg

Puddlebrook-Fortean.jpg

Haverhill?

maximus otter

My mum and dad experienced something very similar in Park Woods,Northwood. They both walked through a small area of thick and oppressive feeling cold air. It was in the summer and they both said the cold air was in stark contrast to the air outside of the area. They’ve had plenty of weird experiences in and around those woods.

My mum and dad experienced something very similar in Park Woods,Northwood. They both walked through a small area of thick and oppressive feeling cold air. It was in the summer and they both said the cold air was in stark contrast to the air outside of the area. They’ve had plenty of weird experiences in and around those woods.
Sometimes in woody areas there are damps spots that cool the air. Cooler air is denser than warm air, so maybe that played a part in their experience.

Good call,it probably has a natural explanation
Like I said, sometimes I think the brain picks up on something 'unnatural' or different, almost without the conscious mind being aware, and I think this is enough to raise the hairs on the back of the neck. I'd suppose that, if one was doing something distracting, like romping about with a group of friends, it might not be picked up on. But walking along quietly alone, or in a couple, then perhaps that sense of 'alert' is enough to freak people out?

I have been walking the dogs in the early hours whilst the wife is laid up.
We have a nature reserve that runs through town called the river walk and I/we have walked the dogs here for five years, usually in daylight. Since my wife’s operation on January 4th there have been a couple of times walking the dogs, in the dark, when I have felt uneasy, a sense of trepidation arises.
I like the dark and the darker the better so I don’t know why this feeling settles on me. It never lasts long, thirty seconds, a minute maybe, then it passes.

Very occasionally I will stumble on people sitting on the riverside benches, real living people sitting in the dark at five in the morning. That sometimes makes me jump, possibly as their presence intrudes on the solitary nature of our walk.

Edit. I think they are real LIVE people!

Ancient woodland it would seem, so a lot of history:

https://heritage.suffolk.gov.uk/Monument/MSF15881

Couldn't find any ghosts but did find this and it includes the newspaper cutting [my bold]:

‘Couple See The Light After UFO Sighting’ – June 1989​

And UFO sightings had the power to turn cynics into believers, as was the case with one Haverhill couple in the 1980s. Local Suffolk newspaper the Haverhill Echo reported how young couple Peter Fleming and Julie Rondeau had seen a ‘blue glow’ over the skies of Haverhill, which was reported by several other people to the newspaper.

Peter gave a description of what he had seen that night:

It came up as a distant glow and settled over Ladygate Woods… It gave off a strong beam of light that shone up the area. Then it zig-zagged around and moved up and down. After several minutes the light moved round in an arc and we could see it was a cigar-shaped object, very large, with portholes, showing green, yellow and red lights. There was no noise. When it moved away towards the south east we heard a sonic boom.

Peter and his girlfriend Julie watched ‘mesmerised,’ whilst their labrador-cross dog Smudle was ‘unsettled’ by what they had witnessed.

https://blog.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/2022/07/13/incredible-ufo-sightings/

On the farside of the valley was large woodland that marked the edge of my roaming territory. I rarely went there because of the distance and also 'cos it was mainly boring Forestry Commision, although it had hidden spots and grassy glades. Last went in my early teens with a fat old labrador and noticed she refused to walk over a spot on a narrow path. I was fascinated as to why she would lumber through the undergrowth to get around this bit - I didn't sense anything unusually eldritch, no animal tracks crossing the path - maybe it was a scent-thing. After about a dozen times of me to-ing and fro-ing trying to get the dog to follow me over the spot, she leapt over it and indicated an end to the matter. After 50 years I could possibly find the place again, but it would be harder to find somewhere to park and the dog is busy chasing after Baker vans in the sky.

Not a walk, but I was going to fish the incoming evening spring tide at Camber Sands. Because it's so flat you're about a kilometer out from the dunes on a big spring tide. Felt really uncomfortable, looked behind me, knew where the sand bars and gully's were that can trap you when the tide comes in fast. Not happy, reeled in and set out back to the dunes, felt very cowardly. As I got back the the dunes a thunderstorm had come across the sea really fast out of nowhere, lightning, wind, the lot. And I had been the tallest thing out there with an eleven foot carbon firbre rod that conducts electricity. Have always listened to the primative back part of the brain since !.

Not a walk, but I was going to fish the incoming evening spring tide at Camber Sands. Because it's so flat you're about a kilometer out from the dunes on a big spring tide. Felt really uncomfortable, looked behind me, knew where the sand bars and gully's were that can trap you when the tide comes in fast. Not happy, reeled in and set out back to the dunes, felt very cowardly. As I got back the the dunes a thunderstorm had come across the sea really fast out of nowhere, lightning, wind, the lot. And I had been the tallest thing out there with an eleven foot carbon firbre rod that conducts electricity. Have always listened to the primative back part of the brain since !.

A subconscious perception of a change in weather conditions might account for a considerable percentage of “Panic fear” / “creepy environment” IHTMs.

We read of “oppressive conditions” preceding a thunderstorm without a second thought. Perhaps a fluctuation in air pressure or wind direction, for example, might trip an atavistic switch in one’s lizard brain, trying to tell caveman you, “Seek shelter: Bad things about to happen!

maximus otter

Back