• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Or to focus something spiritually. Or to create a defined sense of space for whatever reason...

In any case, 'henge' has, like most archaeological terms, a fairly open meaning. It creates an obvious image, of course, but it doesn't matter if the ditch is inside the bank, or opposite, or even if either feature is missing, a site can still be called a henge. It's more a set of characteristics than a defined and inflexible term.

Laser scan for Stonehenge secrets

Stonehenge is being scanned using modern laser technology to search for hidden clues about how and why it was built.
All visible faces of the standing and fallen stones, many of which are obscured by lichen, will be surveyed.
Some ancient carvings have previously been found on the stones, including a famous Neolithic "dagger".
The survey is already in progress and is expected to finish by the end of March.

"The surfaces of the stones of Stonehenge hold fascinating clues to the past," said English Heritage archaeologist Dave Batchelor.
The team will be looking for ancient "rock art", but also for more modern graffiti, in a comprehensive survey of the site.

Among those who have left their mark in the stones is "Wren" - thought to be Sir Christopher Wren, the architect who designed London's St Paul's Cathedral.
Wren's family had a home nearby, where he is known to have spent time, adding credibility to the claim.

The new survey will be the most accurate digital model ever for the world famous prehistoric monument, measuring details and irregularities on the stone surfaces to a resolution of 0.5mm.
The previous survey in 1993 was photographic, and only measured to an accuracy of about 2cm.

"This new survey will capture a lot more information on the subtleties of the monument and its surrounding landscape," said Paul Bryan, head of geospatial surveys at English Heritage.
Laser scanning is also being used to map the earthworks immediately around the stone circle, and the surrounding landscape, as part of a wider project.

English Heritage has proposed a new £25m visitor centre at Stonehenge and closing parts of the A344, which runs just yards away from the landmark.
Government funding was withdrawn last year, but the Heritage Lottery Fund has promised £10m. English Heritage is seeking additional funds and is confident of raising the money it needs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12688085

There's another US 'Stonehenge':

Just what is Manhattanhenge?
By Virginia Brown, BBC News Magazine

New Yorkers have witnessed an urban solar phenomenon, with the Sun setting in alignment with the city's skyscrapers and giving an effect fans say is reminiscent of Wiltshire's Stonehenge. Welcome to Manhattanhenge.

Twice every year amateur photographers gather in carefully-selected spots to set up tripods and wait to capture the ultimate sunset.
On Wednesday night at 2025 local time (0125 BST), the east-west lying streets of the city's famous grid system neatly framed the setting sun, creating golden glows New Yorkers rarely see.
During the phenomenon, the Sun appears to be nestled perfectly between the skyscraper corridors, illuminating the north and south sides of the streets.

Astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson coined the term Manhattanhenge in 1996, inspired by its likeness to Stonehenge, where the sun aligns with concentric circles of vertical stones on each of the solstices.
"As a kid, I visited Stonehenge in the Salisbury Plain of England and did research on other stone monuments across the British Isles. It was deep within me," says deGrasse Tyson.
"So I was, in a way, imprinted by the emotional power that terrestrial alignments with the Sun can have on a culture or civilization."

After coining the term, deGrasse Tyson later published dates and times in Natural History magazine.

Similar "henge" phenomena also occur in other cities with large numbers of skyscrapers and long straight streets - such as Chicago, Montreal and Toronto.

As far as sunset goes - which is the fans' true Manhattanhenge - the event happens twice in May and July, and for two nights each. There's also the winter version, but that's sunrise.

New York-based photographer Emon Hassan has celebrated Manhattanhenge in his work.
"You'll see photographers on both sides, lined up, just waiting. In one area, I could go in the middle of the street and get the shot. Photographers risk their lives to get the perfect shot.
"It's cut-throat. You only have a 15 to 20 minute window. It happens pretty quick after you consider dodging traffic.
"I don't even know how to articulate that feeling. It's almost like seeing an eclipse."

Getty photographer Mario Tama shot the event earlier this year. He says the event provides residents with a moment of clarity and beauty in a chaotic world.
"Basically, people in Manhattan are trapped in an island of tall buildings and sometimes can't even see the sky really.
"It's a brilliant moment when Manhattanites can connect with the rest of the world and with the earth. If you get out of the subway at 34th Street, you'll see two or three hundred people with tripods jumping in the street. Usually when this happens, there has been a shooting or something, so this is really a beautiful thing," says Tama.

The event has become a social phenomenon in New York City.
"Amateur and professional photographers can meet up, they tag each other's work on Twitter and meet other people - people with other interests," says Hassan.
"Manhattan is one of the most fascinating places and this is such a unique event."

Its distinctiveness lies in the positioning of the city's layout.
Manhattan's Commissioner's Plan of 1811 established its grid system, which is rotated 29 degrees from true east-west. If Manhattan's streets were perfectly laid out on an east-west grid, Manhattanhenge would occur facing both east and west on the vernal and autumnal equinoxes.
It also has the advantage over other skyscraper cities because of a relatively clear view to the horizon down some of its streets.

For photographers and people taking an early evening stroll, it is just a beautiful effect of light.
But for astronomers, it's something more - a chance to engage laymen and enthusiasts with the studies of the cosmos.

DeGrasse Tyson uses the event to make people more interested in astronomy.
"I'll take any excuse I can get to get people to look up and notice our cosmic environment," deGrasse Tyson recently told PBS television.
The best vantage point to view the event, which he describes as "the greatest of the cosmos together with the greatest of our urban icons", is on Park Avenue and 34th Street, looking west, he says.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14150550

Strangely, for all the books I've read, set in NY, I've never heard this mentioned before. I would have remembered because this sort of thing is a passion of mine too.

At my previous flat I had a Chapelhenge: my living room window looked onto the side of a methodist chapel with five windows either side. By chance these windows provided three sightlines to the setting sun, at different times of the year!
:D

A couple weeks ago, I was on top of Glastinbury Tor, and it was that clear I could see all they way across to Stonehenge

disgruntledgoth said:
A couple weeks ago, I was on top of Glastinbury Tor, and it was that clear I could see all they way across to Stonehenge
I make that something over 40 miles! Good vis!

Nearly an E - W alignment, so from the Tor you might see sunrise over Stonehenge a few days after the Spring Equinox - or sunset over the Tor from Stonehenge a few days before. 8)

rynner2 said:
disgruntledgoth said:
Haven't done so myself, but a mate did that the other way round - saw the Tor from Stonehenge, with binoculars.

Never saw the Manhattanhenge sun thing either, but did see the Moon right between the Twin Towers. Quite poignant, now I think about it.

rynner2 said:
disgruntledgoth said:

Nearly an E - W alignment, so from the Tor you might see sunrise over Stonehenge a few days after the Spring Equinox - or sunset over the Tor from Stonehenge a few days before. 8)

If I'm honest I wouldn't have noticed it if it wasn't pointed out to me :lol:

I've been on the Tor many times but unluckily never had that clear a view. However, from Burrington Common on the Mendip I've seen fantastic views across Bristol deep into Wales and also over to Exmoor.
Back home in West Yorkshire, for a few years my very minor 'obsession' while out hill walking around Wharfedale and Calderdale was -' can I see York Minister?' I grew bored of that when I realised, on clear days, the answer was 'yes, easily'. So now its 'can I see the Humber Bridge?' Turns out, with small binoculars, the piers and suspension can be seen from Little Gate above Addingham - 59 Miles. Next attempt - Holme Moss!

special_farces said:
I've been on the Tor many times but unluckily never had that clear a view. However, from Burrington Common on the Mendip I've seen fantastic views across Bristol deep into Wales and also over to Exmoor...
Oddly enough a friend and I went walking in Burrington just last week on about the only clear day - she'd never been before and remarked on the vista :). The views are stunning - when I was a deal younger a few of us would drive up there at night, purely to watch the spectacular flares from the steelworks on the South Welsh coast, massive plumes of flame. Bristol by night is much prettier from a distance...also there's very little light pollution there, so the night sky is pretty special, and summer sunsets over the coast beautiful.

Next time I get up there I'll try to remember binoculars, and to see if I can see the Tor (not far, so depends if the Mendips get in the way) and Stonehenge.

Back on thread (sort of)!

Tomb found at Stonehenge quarry site
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14733535
By Louise Ord
Assistant producer, Digging for Britain

The prehistoric stone circle of Stonehenge has mystified architects and historians for generations
The tomb for the original builders of Stonehenge could have been unearthed by an excavation at a site in Wales.

The Carn Menyn site in the Preseli Hills is where the bluestones used to construct the first stone phase of the henge were quarried in 2300BC.

Organic material from the site will be radiocarbon dated, but it is thought any remains have already been removed.

Archaeologists believe this could prove a conclusive link between the site and Stonehenge.

The remains of a ceremonial monument were found with a bank that appears to have a pair of standing stones embedded in it.

The bluestones at the earliest phase of Stonehenge - also set in pairs - give a direct architectural link from the iconic site to this newly discovered henge-like monument in Wales.

The central site had already been disturbed so archaeologists chose to excavate around the edges
The tomb, which is a passage cairn - a style typical of Neolithic burial monument - was placed over this henge.

The link between the Welsh site and Stonehenge was first suggested by the geologist Herbert Thomas in 1923.

This was confirmed in 2008 when permission was granted to excavate inside the stone circle for the first time in about 50 years.

The bluestones were transported from the hills over 150 miles (240km) to the plain in Wiltshire to create Stonehenge, the best known of all Britain's prehistoric monuments.

Two of the leading experts on Stonehenge, Prof Geoff Wainwright and Prof Timothy Darvill, have been leading the project at Carn Menyn.

They are now excavating at the site of a robbed-out Neolithic tomb, built right next to the original quarry.

They knew that the tomb had been disturbed previously, so rather than excavate inside, they placed their small trench along its outer edge.

Continue reading the main story
Find out more

Dr Alice Roberts will be presenting Digging For Britain on BBC Two at 21:00 on Fridays from 9 September

More on the series
Digging for Britain discoveries
Roman town find 'furthest west'
Skeletons reveal Viking massacre
Dead baby 'brothel' mystery deepens
Prof Darvill said: "It's a little piece of keyhole surgery into an important monument, but it has actually lived up to our expectations perfectly."

The area has many springs, which may have been associated with ritual healing in prehistoric times - and their existence may be the reason why these particular stones were quarried for another monument so far away.

Prof Wainwright said: "The important thing is that we have a ceremonial monument here that is earlier than the passage grave.

"We have obviously got a very important person who may have been responsible for the impetus for these stones to be transported.

"It can be compared directly with the first Stonehenge, so for the first time we have a direct link between Carn Menyn - where the bluestones came from - and Stonehenge, in the form of this ceremonial monument."

A new series of BBC Two's Digging for Britain begins at 21:00 on Friday, 9 September.

It's Merlin's tomb!

Secret history of Stonehenge revealed
Ancient site may have been place of worship 500 years before the first stone was erected
David Keys Saturday 26 November 2011

Extraordinary new discoveries are shedding new light on why Britain’s most famous ancient site, Stonehenge, was built – and when.

Current research is now suggesting that Stonehenge may already have been an important sacred site at least 500 years before the first Stone circle was erected – and that the sanctity of its location may have determined the layout of key aspects of the surrounding sacred landscape.

What’s more, the new investigation – being carried out by archaeologists from the universities’ of Birmingham, Bradford and Vienna – massively increases the evidence linking Stonehenge to pre-historic solar religious beliefs. It increases the likelihood that the site was originally and primarily associated with sun worship

The investigations have also enabled archaeologists to putatively reconstruct the detailed route of a possible religious procession or other ritual event which they suspect may have taken place annually to the north of Stonehenge.

That putative pre-historic religious ‘procession’ (or, more specifically, the evidence suggesting its route) has implications for understanding Stonehenge’s prehistoric religious function – and suggests that the significance of the site Stonehenge now occupies emerged earlier than has previously been appreciated.

The crucial new archaeological evidence was discovered during on-going survey work around Stonehenge in which archaeologists have been ‘x-raying’ the ground, using ground-penetrating radar and other geophysical investigative techniques. As the archaeological team from Birmingham and Vienna were using these high-tech systems to map the interior of a major prehistoric enclosure (the so-called ‘Cursus’) near Stonehenge, they discovered two great pits, one towards the enclosure’s eastern end, the other nearer its western end.

When they modelled the relationship between these newly-discovered Cursus pits and Stonehenge on their computer system, they realised that, viewed from the so-called ‘Heel Stone’ at Stonehenge, the pits were aligned with sunrise and sunset on the longest day of the year – the summer solstice (midsummer’s day). The chances of those two alignments being purely coincidental are extremely low.

The archaeologists then began to speculate as to what sort of ritual or ceremonial activity might have been carried out at and between the two pits. In many areas of the world, ancient religious and other ceremonies sometimes involved ceremonially processing round the perimeters of monuments. The archaeologists therefore thought it possible that the prehistoric celebrants at the Cursus might have perambulated between the two pits by processing around the perimeter of the Cursus.

Initially this was pure speculation – but then it was realized that there was, potentially a way of trying to test the idea. On midsummer’s day there are in fact three key alignments – not just sunrise and sunset, but also midday (the highest point the sun reaches in its annual cycle). For at noon the key alignment should be due south.

One way to test the ‘procession’ theory (or at least its route) was for the archaeologists to demonstrate that the midway point on that route had indeed a special relationship with Stonehenge (just as the two pits – the start and end point of the route – had). The ‘eureka moment’ came when the computer calculations revealed that the midway point (the noon point) on the route aligned directly with the centre of Stonehenge, which was precisely due south.

This realization that the sun hovering over the site of Stonehenge at its highest point in the year appears to have been of great importance to prehistoric people, is itself of potential significance. For it suggests that the site’s association with the veneration of the sun was perhaps even greater than previously realized.

But the discovery of the Cursus pits, the discovery of the solar alignments and of the putative ‘processional’ route, reveals something else as well – something that could potentially turn the accepted chronology of the Stonehenge landscape on its head.
For decades, modern archaeology has held that Stonehenge was a relative latecomer to the area – and that the other large monument in that landscape – the Cursus – pre-dated it by up to 500 years.

However, the implication of the new evidence is that, in a sense, the story may have been the other way round, i.e. that the site of Stonehenge was sacred before the Cursus was built, says Birmingham archaeologist, Dr. Henry Chapman, who has been modelling the alignments on the computerized reconstructions of the Stonehenge landscape

The argument for this is simple, yet persuasive. Because the ‘due south’ noon alignment of the ‘procession’ route’s mid-point could not occur if the Cursus itself had different dimensions, the design of that monument has to have been conceived specifically to attain that mid-point alignment with the centre of Stonehenge.

What’s more, if that is so, the Stonehenge Heel Stone location had to have been of ritual significance before the Cursus pits were dug (because their alignments are as perceived specifically from the Heel Stone).

Those two facts, when taken together, therefore imply that the site, later occupied by the stones of Stonehenge, was already sacred before construction work began on the Cursus. Unless the midday alignment is a pure coincidence (which is unlikely), it would imply that the Stonehenge site’s sacred status is at least 500 years older than previously thought – a fact which raises an intriguing possibility.

For 45 years ago, archaeologists found an 8000 BC Mesolithic (‘Middle’ Stone Age) ritual site in what is now Stonehenge’s car park. The five thousand year gap between that Mesolithic sacred site and Stonehenge itself meant that most archaeologists thought that ‘sacred’ continuity between the two was inherently unlikely. But, with the new discoveries, the time gap has potentially narrowed. Indeed, it’s not known for how long the site of Stonehenge was sacred prior to the construction of the Cursus. So, very long term traditions of geographical sanctity in relation to Britain’s and the world’s best known ancient monument, may now need to be considered.

The University of Birmingham Stonehenge area survey - the largest of its type ever carried out anywhere in the world – will take a further two years to complete, says Professor Vince Gaffney, the director the project.
Virtually every square meter in a five square mile area surrounding the world most famous pre-historic monument will be examined geophysically to a depth of up to two metres, he says.
It’s anticipated that dozens, potentially hundreds of previously unknown sites will be discovered as a result of the operation.

The ongoing discoveries in Stonehenge’s sacred prehistoric landscape – being made by Birmingham’s archaeologists and colleagues from the University of Vienna’s Ludwig Boltzmann Institute – are expected to transform scholars’ understanding of the famous monument’s origins, history and meaning.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 68237.html

A new, archaeo-acoustic, theory of Stonehenge.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/feb/16/stonehenge-based-magical-auditory-illusion

Stonehenge was based on a 'magical' auditory illusion, says scientist

The layout of Stonehenge matches the spacing of loud and quiet sounds created by acoustic interference, new theory claims

guardian.co.uk, Ian Sample, Vancouver. 16 February 2012

The Neolithic builders of Stonehenge were inspired by "auditory illusions" when they drew up blueprints for the ancient monument, a researcher claims.

The radical proposal follows a series of experiments by US scientist Steven Waller, who claims the positions of the standing stones match patterns in sound waves created by a pair of musical instruments.

Waller, an independent researcher in California, said the layout of the stones corresponded to the regular spacing of loud and quiet sounds created by acoustic interference when two instruments played the same note continuously.

In Neolithic times, the nature of sound waves – and their ability to reinforce and cancel each other out – would have been mysterious enough to verge on the magical, Waller said. Quiet patches created by acoustic interference could have led to the "auditory illusion" that invisible objects stood between a listener and the instruments being played, he added.

To investigate whether instruments could create such auditory illusions, Waller rigged two flutes to an air pump so they played the same note continuously. When he walked around them in a circle, the volume rose, fell and rose again as the sound waves interfered with each other. "What I found unexpected was how I experienced those regions of quiet. It felt like I was being sheltered from the sound. As if something was protecting me. It gave me a feeling of peace and quiet," he said.

Auditory interference pattern created when two instruments play the same note continuously Link to this audio

To follow up, Waller recruited volunteers, blindfolded them, and led them in a circle around the instruments. He then asked participants to sketch out the shape of any obstructions they thought lay between them and the flutes. Some drew circles of pillars, and one volunteer added lintels, a striking feature of the Stonehenge monument.

"If these people in the past were dancing in a circle around two pipers and were experiencing the loud and soft and loud and soft regions that happen when an interference pattern is set up, they would have felt there were these massive objects arranged in a ring. It would have been this completely baffling experience, and anything that was mysterious like that in the past was considered to be magic and supernatural.

"I think that was what motivated them to build the actual structure that matched this virtual impression. It was like a vision that they received from the other world. The design of Stonehenge matches this interference pattern auditory illusion," said Waller, who described his research at a meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in Vancouver.

"It's not a complete structure now but there is a portion of the ring that still has the big megaliths arranged in the circle. If you have a sound source in the middle of Stonehenge, and you walk around the outside of the big stones, what you experience is alternating loud and soft, loud and soft, loud and soft as you alternately pass by the gaps and the stone, the gaps and the stone," he added.

"So the stones of Stonehenge cast acoustic shadows that mimic an interference pattern."

Waller argues that his findings are not mere coincidence and says local legend offers some support for his thesis. Some megaliths are known as pipers' stones, while stories tell of walls of air forming an invisible tower, and two magical pipers that enticed maidens to dance in a circle before they turned to stone.

Stonehenge was built in several stages, with the lintelled stone circle constructed around 2,500 BC. The site was originally a burial ground, but may also have been a place for healing.

In 2009, Rupert Till, a music expert at Huddersfield University, used a full-scale replica of Stonehenge and computer analyses to show that repetitive drum beats and chanting would have resonated loudly between the standing stones.

Timothy Darvill, professor of archaeology at Bournemouth University, said that while sound played an important role in events at Stonehenge, the monument was probably not designed with acoustics in mind.

"The main structure is a replica in stone of what was normally built in wood," he said. "They used the same techniques. The positioning of the main components is all about the construction of a framework, a building if you like, as the setting for ritual adventures that included the use of the bluestones brought over from Wales."

suspicious.gif

Pietro_Mercurios said:
A new, archaeo-acoustic, theory of Stonehenge.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/feb/16/stonehenge-based-magical-auditory-illusion

Stonehenge was based on a 'magical' auditory illusion, says scientist

"If these people in the past were dancing in a circle around two pipers and were experiencing the loud and soft and loud and soft regions that happen when an interference pattern is set up, they would have felt there were these massive objects arranged in a ring. It would have been this completely baffling experience, and anything that was mysterious like that in the past was considered to be magic and supernatural.

Waller argues that his findings are not mere coincidence and says local legend offers some support for his thesis. Some megaliths are known as pipers' stones, while stories tell of walls of air forming an invisible tower, and two magical pipers that enticed maidens to dance in a circle before they turned to stone.
Interesting...

In Cornwall, near Lamorna, there are standing stones called the Pipers, and nearby is a stone circle called the Merry Maidens.

But, given that every kind of enthusiast finds support for his theories in Stonehenge, or other Stone Age structures, we should perhaps remember the caution given about the 'canals' on Mars - yes, they are evidence of intelligence, but at which end of the telescope? ;)

Views of the two Cornish Pipers (as seen from a bus, at various times, travelling West to East).

pipers03.jpg

pipers02.jpg

pipers04.jpg

No way you could progress aound the stones nowadays, with those hedges in the way.

Stonehenge was built to unify Britain, researchers conclude

Building Stonehenge was a way to unify the people of Stone Age Britain, researchers have concluded.
Teams working on the Stonehenge Riverside Project believe the circle was built after a long period of conflict between east and west Britain.
Researchers also believe the stones, from southern England and west Wales, symbolize different communities.
Prof Mike Parker Pearson said building Stonehenge required everyone "to pull together" in "an act of unification".

The Stonehenge Riverside Project (SRP) has been investigating the archaeology of Stonehenge and its landscape for the past 10 years.
In 2008, SRP researchers found that Stonehenge had been erected almost 500 years earlier than had originally been thought.

Now teams from the universities of Sheffield, Manchester, Southampton, Bournemouth and University College London, have concluded that when the stone circle was built "there was a growing island-wide culture".
"The same styles of houses, pottery and other material forms were used from Orkney to the south coast - this was very different to the regionalism of previous centuries," said Prof Parker Pearson, from University of Sheffield.

"Stonehenge itself was a massive undertaking, requiring the labour of thousands to move stones from as far away as west Wales, shaping them and erecting them.
"Just the work itself, requiring everyone literally to pull together, would have been an act of unification."

Stonehenge may also have been built in a place that already had special significance for prehistoric Britons.
The SRP team found that its solstice-aligned avenue sits upon a series of natural landforms that, by chance, form an axis between the directions of midsummer sunrise and midwinter sunset.
"When we stumbled across this extraordinary natural arrangement of the sun's path being marked in the land, we realised that prehistoric people selected this place to build Stonehenge because of its pre-ordained significance," said Mr Parker Pearson.

"This might explain why there are eight monuments in the Stonehenge area with solstitial alignments, a number unmatched anywhere else.
"Perhaps they saw this place as the centre of the world".

Previous theories suggesting the great stone circle was inspired by ancient Egyptians or extra-terrestrials have been firmly rejected by researchers.

"All the architectural influences for Stonehenge can be found in previous monuments and buildings within Britain, with origins in Wales and Scotland," said Mr Parker Pearson.
"In fact, Britain's Neolithic people were isolated from the rest of Europe for centuries.
"Britain may have become unified but there was no interest in interacting with people across the Channel.
"Stonehenge appears to have been the last gasp of this Stone Age culture, which was isolated from Europe and from the new technologies of metal tools and the wheel."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-18550513

Interestingly, that's very similar to a theory I have suggested on this very board.
My idea was that it was a place where leaders from all the clans and kingdoms would regularly make a pilgrimage to, so they could all communicate and consolidate friendships and alliances.
It was in fact, Arthur's Round Table.

Stonehenge gets £27m facelift to end 'national embarrassment'
English Heritage begins project to build new visitor centre and close nearby Steven Morris
guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 11 July 2012 12.00 BST

Stonehenge, one of the world's most famous prehistoric sites, has long been criticised for traffic noise and poor facilities for visitors.
Work is beginning to transform the area around Stonehenge from a "national embarrassment" into a tranquil setting for one of the world's great prehistoric monuments.

English Heritage said that the £27m project to build a new visitor centre out of sight of the stone circle to replace the shabby collection of buildings beside the monument and to close a nearby A road was under way.

Contractor VINCI Construction UK has taken possession of the site at Airman's Corner, 1.5 miles west of the stones, to start work on the new exhibition and visitor building. In September, the Highways Agency will begin preliminary work that will lead to the closure of the A344 at Stonehenge.

Simon Thurley, the chief executive of English Heritage, said: "A new dawn at Stonehenge is truly upon us. Though the stones themselves have never failed to awe visitors, their setting has been a national embarrassment and disgrace.
"After nearly 30 years English Heritage finally has a scheme that will transform the setting of the stones and our visitors' experience of them.
"The restoration of the landscape together with a major new exhibition on site will finally give our greatest and most famous monument the treatment it deserves."

The heritage and tourism minister, John Penrose, said: "People have been talking about the project for nearly 30 years and so I'm absolutely delighted that work is finally under way to preserve this internationally recognisable prehistoric world heritage site, and to improve the visitor experience for those who come to marvel at it too."

The project, developed with the support of the National Trust, Wiltshire council, the Highways Agency, and Natural England, will transform the setting of Stonehenge. The section of the A344 that runs past the monument - almost touching the heel stone - will be closed and grassed over, reuniting the stone circle with the surrounding landscape. A remaining part of the road will be closed to public vehicles, and will become the route of a new visitor shuttle service to the stones.

The existing outdated facilities, car park, fences and clutter near the monument will be removed. Visitors will be welcomed at new facilities located at Airman's Corner and, instead of approaching the stone circle from the east on a busy road, they will approach over chalk downland from the west, either via a 10-minute journey on the visitor shuttle, or on foot.

A visit to the stones should, for the first time, be enhanced by a large exhibition curated by English Heritage experts that will tell the story of the complex site and its relationship with the wider landscape. It will feature important objects excavated near the site on loan from the Wiltshire Heritage Museum and the Salisbury and South Wiltshire Museum. The visitor building also features education rooms and improved amenities with full disabled access.

Throughout the construction, visitors will continue to be able to visit Stonehenge.

The project will not satisfy everybody. The A303 will continue to rumble just south of the site. A plan to build a tunnel so that traffic was not visible or audible to visitors to Stonehenge was rejected by the government because of the high costs.

Apart from a £2.6m Department for Culture, Media and Sport grant spent before government funding was withdrawn in June 2010, the money for the project comes from a combination of grants (including £10m from the Heritage Lottery Fund), gifts from charitable trusts and individuals, and English Heritage profits from its commercial activities at the stones. English Heritage said it needs to raise only £500,000 more.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2012/ ... h-heritage

Stonehenge builders travelled from far, say researchers

Thousands of people came from across Britain to help build Stonehenge, experts investigating the origins of the monument have said.
They said people travelled from as far afield as the Scottish Highlands.

Researchers from University College London said their findings overturned what was thought about the origins of the monument.
Until now it had been thought that Stonehenge was built as an astronomical calendar or observatory.

The latest findings, which came after a decade of research, suggested it was the act of building the monument rather than its purpose that was key.
The researchers believed as many as 4,000 people gathered at the site, at a time when Britain's population was only tens of thousands.

Analysis of animal teeth found at a nearby settlement suggested people travelled the length of the country to help with the building.
Professor Mike Parker Pearson, from University College London, said the scene would have resembled a cross between the Glastonbury Festival and a motorway building scheme.
He said a settlement at nearby Durrington Walls had about 1,000 homes, the "largest Neolithic settlement in the whole of northern Europe".

Prof Parker Pearson said: "What we have discovered is it's in building the thing that's important. It's not that they're coming to worship, they're coming to construct it."
He added: "It's something that's Glastonbury Festival and a motorway building scheme at the same time. It's not all fun, there's work too."

The academics suggested that Stonehenge was built about 200 years earlier than previously thought, some 4,500 years ago.
Their findings will be revealed in a Channel 4 documentary, Secrets of the Stonehenge Skeletons.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21724084

I expect someone on Facebook started this. "Hey guys, why don't we all meet up on Salisbury plain and drag some huge rocks around - it'll be a LOL!" (Of course, it wouldn't have been called Salisbury plain back then, as Salisbury hadn't been built yet.)

And Facebook being Facebook, some people would have whinged that the gig was too far south, couldn't they do it somewhere more central, like Yorkshire.. (Of course, it wouldn't have been called Yorkshire back then, etc...)

But finally the Salisbury group prevailed and the gig went ahead down south. It must have taken a lot of organisation, though - I'm surprised the archaelogists haven't found a few lost neolithic iPhones...
:roll:

rynner2 said:

I expect someone on Facebook started this. "Hey guys, why don't we all meet up on Salisbury plain and drag some huge rocks around - it'll be a LOL!" (Of course, it wouldn't have been called Salisbury plain back then, as Salisbury hadn't been built yet.)

And Facebook being Facebook, some people would have whinged that the gig was too far south, couldn't they do it somewhere more central, like Yorkshire.. (Of course, it wouldn't have been called Yorkshire back then, etc...)

But finally the Salisbury group prevailed and the gig went ahead down south. It must have taken a lot of organisation, though - I'm surprised the archaelogists haven't found a few lost neolithic iPhones...
:roll:
If they had used, Facebook, then all the information would still be on the database, somewhere.

This seems to add further weight to my theory that it was a meeting place for all the tribes and kingdoms in Britain.
It is Arthur's Round Table...

Mythopoeika said:
This seems to add further weight to my theory that it was a meeting place for all the tribes and kingdoms in Britain.
Apart from the three thousand year gap, between the building of Stonehenge and the rise of the legend of King Arthur, of course. Nor is it the only major henge, from around that period, worthy of consideration.

The cultural make-up and the accompanying belief system, of the British Isles back then must have been very different indeed.

Pietro_Mercurios said:
The cultural make-up and the accompanying belief system, of the British Isles back then must have been very different indeed.
Everyone was ginger and spoke Welsh. :)

Pietro_Mercurios said:
Mythopoeika said:
Apart from the three thousand year gap, between the building of Stonehenge and the rise of the legend of King Arthur, of course. Nor is it the only major henge, from around that period, worthy of consideration.

No, I'm not suggesting Arthur built it, I'm suggesting he used an already-existing meeting place. It had probably already been used as a meeting place of kings, chieftains and nobles and over time it fell out of use. I think 'Arthur' or whoever he was, revived the use of the old meeting-place.

Ronson8 said:
Pietro_Mercurios said:
Everyone was ginger and spoke Welsh. :)
Your private fantasies are your own affair. ;)

I like the idea of Stonehenge built just for the hell of it. No model railways or computer games in those days, so how else would they fill the time? Probably good exercise, too.

gncxx said:
I like the idea of Stonehenge built just for the hell of it. No model railways or computer games in those days, so how else would they fill the time? Probably good exercise, too.
There would have to have been a really good reason to bring people there from all over Britain, back then. Away from the little agricultural settlements it was mostly thick forest, or bog. How easy was it to negotiate the way between different tribal territories, as well?

What drove the Stonehenge builders? Was it fear of a powerful priestly, or warrior caste and the anger of the gods? Or, was it the need to get together to meet up, to mark the passing of the seasons, exchange partners, celebrate births, hold marriages, or funerals, trade, or some combination of all of these things?

Back