• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Hollywood's Pointless Remakes, Reboots, Prequels & Sequels

The remake of The Taking of Pelham 123 can never be as good as the original, since it doesn't have Walter Matthau in it. The only thing I can see them doing to "improve" it is to make it an action film, which would just be yet another boring action film.

Anome_ said:
The remake of The Taking of Pelham 123 can never be as good as the original, since it doesn't have Walter Matthau in it. The only thing I can see them doing to "improve" it is to make it an action film, which would just be yet another boring action film.

Still, its not to be sneezed at.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8212110.stm

Yellow Submarine 'set for remake'

US director Robert Zemeckis is in talks to remake a 3D version of the animated 1968 Beatles film Yellow Submarine, according to reports.

Trade magazine Variety said the Back To The Future filmmaker and Disney were working to secure rights to use the 16 Beatles tunes that feature in the film.

Zemeckis plans to use the performance-capture format he used for previous films Beowulf and The Polar Express.

It is hoped the film will be ready in time for the London 2012 Olympic Games.

The original 1968 film followed the band as they travelled to an undersea paradise - Pepperland, protected by Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - to free it from the music-hating Blue Meanies.

Although actors provided the voices for the animated incarnations of Paul McCartney, John Lennon, George Harrison and Ringo Starr, The Beatles appeared in the film's closing live-action scene.

Songs including All You Need Is Love, When I'm 64, Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band all featured in the film.

The 3D performance-capture technology is also being used in Zemeckis's forthcoming film, A Christmas Carol, starring Jim Carrey as Scrooge and the three ghosts who haunt him in the Charles Dickens tale.

Gawd, will somebody please tell Robert Zemeckis that his performance capture films look absolutely horrible? Why can't they just rerelease it? Or won't that bring in enough of the readies?

The old classic movies gets no respect these days.

What's next? A remake of Blade Runner? :shock:

They want this Yellow Submarine remake ready for the London Olympics? Why? To encourage drug taking at the events? To "remind" people of the sixties? To give the remaining Beatles some publicity?

Ye Gods - it's a generation thing, it must be!

As i have a certain fondness for the original, i have to say that this i do not approve of:

Tron Legacy's Joe Kosinski Remaking Disney's The Black Hole

No one has seen any footage from Tron Legacy yet (it won't be done for another year anyway), but it seems the execs at Disney are quite happy with what they've seen so far. THR's Heat Vision blog announces that director Joseph Kosinski and producer Sean Bailey, who are currently finishing Tron Legacy together, will next remake Disney's 1979 sci-fi film The Black Hole. This new version will be a "reinvention" (or a reboot or whatever you want to call it) and is being written by Travis Beacham, who worked on the Clash of the Titans script. This is one of the first projects put into development at Disney by new exec Rich Ross.

The original Black Hole, directed by Gary Nelson in 1979 for a budget of only $26 million, followed a group of space explorers aboard the USS Palomino who come across a lost ship, the USS Cygnus, hovering outside a black hole. Inside the Cygnus, the explorers meet a scientist, commanding an army of faceless robots, who explains his crew deserted him as he planned to go through the black hole. The explorers soon discover that the robots are the remnants of the former crew and that the scientist has no intention of letting them leave. The details of the update are being kept secret, though the take does involve grounding the story in the science of a black hole, much more so than in the original. And there will be menacing robots once again.

They don't say know yet whether this will be Kosinski's very next project following Tron Legacy or not, as he's also got another personal sci-fi project called Oblivion lined up as well. And once the rest of Hollywood gets a taste of Kosinski's style and the buzz for Tron Legacy, they'll be trying to get him attached to tons of projects coming up as well. I haven't seen the original Black Hole, but I'm definitely planning to check it out. From what I know of Kosinski and what I've seen of the new Tron Legacy, this guy has some amazing style. Being a huge sci-fi fan as well, I'm down for seeing him take on almost anything next, as long as it's sci-fi.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/11/30/ ... lack-hole/

Will they make the ending more understandable, though?

Only a matter of time before that long-awaited Watcher in the Woods remake...

It's not just Hollywood - British TV is at it again:

Inspector Morse is an enigma – let's keep him that way
ITV is to dig back into the detective’s youth. Is nothing sacred?
By Iain Hollingshead
7:30AM BST 05 Aug 2011

While it is often said that there are only seven basic plots in fiction, you could be forgiven for thinking that there aren’t that many more characters, either. The publishing, film and television industries, none of them shy of money-spinning sequels or prequels, have recently introduced us to a young James Bond, a young Sherlock Holmes, a young Batman and even a youthful Del Trotter. Yesterday it was announced that ITV is making a prequel to Inspector Morse.

Set in 1965 it portrays Morse as a junior detective who’s just flunked out of Oxford University and is investigating the disappearance of a schoolgirl. If the one-off drama goes down well when it’s screened next year, ITV plans to turn it into a series.

For fans of the lugubrious detective, who died of a heart attack in 2000 after 33 episodes, the news comes as such a shock that one longs for a calming pint of warm ale, a distracting cryptic crossword and a blast of Wagner. Young Morse? Is nothing sacred? Next they’ll be commissioning a comedy to show how Basil Fawlty met Sybil on a catering course at Oxford Brookes. 8)

But, like a patient given bad news by the doctor, let’s start by trying to look on the bright side. ITV’s concept might be a cynical one, attempting to cash in on a show that was sold to 200 countries and watched by a staggering one billion people, but the idea did, at least, come from Colin Dexter, Morse’s creator.
“It is my fault, really,” he says. “I was asked to write a short story about Morse a year or so ago. I am not particularly smitten with resurrections, so instead of raising him from the dead I decided to go back in time.”

The new script has been written by Russell Lewis, who also created Lewis, another Morse spin-off based on the inspector’s sidekick. Interestingly, when Dexter gave Lewis his blessing in 2006, one of his conditions was that no one except John Thaw, who died in 2002, could play Morse. “John was Morse and that’s it,” he said. “He’s not James Bond.”

Five years later and young Morse will be played by Shaun Evans, a relatively unknown 31-year-old. And while Morse fans will no doubt wish him well, one wonders how many will bother tuning in.

For although the Morse series had many attractions, not least the relationship between the two main characters, the deft plots and the beautiful scenery, its chief joy was the enigmatic character of Morse himself. “Two hours with a miserable sod who likes beer and can’t relate to women?” said Thaw to the executive producer when he was offered the part. “If it’s a flop, I will blame you.”

But it was those very idiosyncrasies that made Morse so attractive, not least to women, who wanted either to mother or to marry him, or both. Men, too, warmed to the Jaguar-driving, crossword-solving eternal bachelor, by turns curmudgeonly and kind-hearted, bullying and pedantic.

Such qualities are more easily forgiven in an older man. Nor do we particularly want a detailed account of how he got to this stage. In the original series, references to his past were kept opaque, the better to excite the viewer’s imagination.

It was hinted that he’d won a scholarship to St John’s College, Oxford, but was sent down after poor exam results caused by a failed love affair. Beyond that we knew little. Morse even used to joke that his first name was Inspector: Thaw was not told that it was Endeavour until 1995, making him only the third person in the know, after Dexter and his wife. This new spin-off is called Endeavour.

Perhaps none of this will matter if the script is as good as Dexter says it is. Then again, one wonders whether they’ll get the all-important details right to keep the fans happy. “A junior detective running a Jag?” wrote one incredulous reader under our online story yesterday, which included a publicity shot of Evans leaning over the bonnet of a nifty black motor. “A Mini perhaps. Unless he’s taking a few bungs.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvan ... t-way.html

What is it with American remakes of thing atm that the characters seem to have to have had a total charisma bypass and look bland.

I love Fright Night, even if my ex-lodger did take the piss out of it for the 80s fashions and having a vampire in a jumper, but in those trailer clips the characters just look flat and generic.

Not over sure about Tennent as Peter Vincent either.

I thought the recent Swedish films of the Stieg Larsson trilogy (The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo etc.) were very well made and very realistic.
However, there is now talk about doing a Hollywood remake of these films.

Why? Pointless.

Is it just so Americans can watch the films made with US accents, with familiar US actors?

Still pointless.

BlackRiverFalls said:
I love Fright Night, even if my ex-lodger did take the piss out of it for the 80s fashions and having a vampire in a jumper, but in those trailer clips the characters just look flat and generic.

The general opinion is that this version is very Buffy-inspired. It could account for this feeling of flatness, as compared to the first version, with more colorful characters, in an old-fashioned way. Notably, buffiesque vampires are plainer and less interesting, in my opinion, than their older counterparts.

I did from the pages of IMDb a review of remake projects. It's quite frightening (and I'm not mentioning reboots to come of adaptations of super-heroes, like Spiderman, Superman, Fantastic Four, Daredevil) :

It, Carrie, Firestarter, Pet semetary, Frankenweenie, Footloose, The Crow, When worlds collide (Lars Von Trier's last movie Melancholia already largely drew from it), Excalibur, The three musketeers 3D, The story of Bonnie and Clyde, Robocop, Dirty Dancing, Short circuit, The evil dead, The birds, Millenium, Jack the giants killer, Escape from New-York, Godzilla, The toxic avenger, Suspiria, Hellraiser, Creature from the black lagoon, Dracula, An american werewolf in London, The blob, Battle Royale, Buffy the vampire slayer, Frankenstein, Highlander, Porky's, Flash Gordon, Warriors etc...

This is a non-exhaustive list. Many projects are not really worthy, and probably some of them will be cancelled (it seems that it is the case with Forbidden planet). But, in addition with a plethora of projected sequels and prequels, this list is very revealing of a lack of inspiration in the movie industry.

Re: bay's massacre

river_styx said:
condreye buch said:
Oh no. Next we'll have Joel Schumacher's Last House On The Left.
Closely followed by George Lucas's Straw Dogs with all new CGI rape scene.
I've not seen Straw Dogs, but I had heard of it. Now I learn the original was made in west Cornwall, about halfway between Penzance and Lands End:

Original Straw Dogs extras 'shocked' by scenes

It had scenes that left people shocked and others denounced its plot as "rubbish" but 40 years later Sam Peckinpah's movie Straw Dogs is still sparking debate.

As a re-make of the movie - this time set in Mississippi - is released, extras from the 1971 original, made in west Cornwall, have been sharing their experiences.

Farmer Jim Hosking said some local people felt the movie simply gave the village of St Buryan, near Lands End, a bad name.
Mr Hosking, who supplied cows and was in several scenes, said those employed had no idea how the film was going to turn out.
"We had three weeks of filming and it was all fun for us and we enjoyed ourselves," he said.

However, plumber Tony Cock, who is still a regular at the village pub that was one of the central locations, said the "actual plot and film itself was a load of rubbish".
Mr Cock remembers the film-makers taking over the village but said that locals were left "disappointed with the final version".
"The only interest to us was to see someone you know and to see somewhere that you recognise," he said.
"When people come in the pub, we look at them a bit funny and say 'you're in Straw Dog country now', so be careful." ;)

It starred Dustin Hoffman, who took the role of frustrated mathematician David Sumner, and attracted widespread criticism for its violence that included a rape scene of wife Amy, played by Susan George.

Referring to the rape scene, Mr Hosking said: "We thought it was so unnecessary to have such nice people like Susan George put through that, which we didn't know was going to happen. We were not happy at all.

"We suddenly realised how horrible and how wasted our time was", he added.
He said it was so unfortunate to have had the film made in such a "nice village".

Nick George, current landlord of the St Buryan Inn, still has photographs and posters on the walls of the pub recalling the time when Hollywood came knocking.
"We've got a picture of Dustin Hoffman playing the piano with Susan George and this was actually off air," he said.
"We also have a call sheet of all the people in the village that were used as extras, along with a picture of Susan George topless and that does cause a little bit of a stir." 8)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-15572512

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo has to be the most pointless remake.

I've already seen these films subtitled and wonder how much an expensive rebrand can add to the series. I'd go further to say that the casting seems wrong as the original relies on generating suspense by putting the characters amid events that go ever deeper and murkier. The vulnerability of these characters looks sure to be spoiled by having a James Bond in the central role. You know at the outset everything will end up OK.

Why is it that Hollywood feels the need to remake a movie just because it's in a different language? Would a remade and grittier Euro Star Wars saga piss them off?

Having said all that, I can't believe they're starting Spiderman all over again next year. I can understand that the merchandise will be targetted to a new generation of 7 year olds who weren't around at the beginning of the last series but really....

Found out last night they're remaking Total Recall with Colin Farrell in the lead role. Seriously, how can they improve on the genius of Paul Verhoeven and Arnold Schwarzenegger?

gncxx said:
Modern Times! Does this mean Patrick Bateman will still be ranting nostalgic about Phil Collins and Whitney Houston or will he be bang up to date waxing lyrical about Maroon 5 and Nickelback?

And will the long rant about embossed business cards be about fancy Iphone covers? :?

Surely the whole point of the first was that the out of control appetites of Bateman contrast with the rampant consumerism of the period?

Heckler20 said:
Surely the whole point of the first was that the out of control appetites of Bateman contrast with the rampant consumerism of the period?

Maybe he'll be a complete and utter (Wall Street) banker?

jimv1 said:
Would a remade and grittier Euro Star Wars saga piss them off?

Oh please make this happen...! Can you imagine the Han Solo/Luke Skywalker/Princess Leia menage a trois...! :lol:

McAvennie_ said:
jimv1 said:

Oh please make this happen...! Can you imagine the Han Solo/Luke Skywalker/Princess Leia menage a trois...! :lol:

Been done, see Star Whores.

I think the best score would be a remake of The Alamo using a castle in Northumberland, the Scots instead of the Mexicans and all of the main characters incongrously cast apart from Bowie who must be played by Bowie.

If anyone is on speaking terms with Simon Pegg, can they send him that suggestion please. :lol:

Or better yet, remake U-571, but this time show the recovery of an Enigma de-crypting machine from a U-Boat not by American servicemen, but by the crew of HMS Bulldog, several months prior to Pearl Harbor and therefore US involvement, which is what actually happened.

I don't normally get too exercised by Hollywood-isation of history, by the way - it's cynical, but they've got movies to sell, and the US mass audience demands empathy i.e. people who speak like they do - but this one annoyed me, as a relative had something to do with the original events.

stuneville said:
...I don't normally get too exercised by Hollywood-isation of history, by the way - it's cynical, but they've got movies to sell, and the US mass audience demands empathy i.e. people who speak like they do - but this one annoyed me, as a relative had something to do with the original events.

I remember seeing Johnny Vaughn get really quite hot under the collar about this when interviewing one of the actors at the time it was released. I know many people don't have a lot of time for Vaughn, but I have to say that he put his case quite forcefully and didn't hold back just because he was interviewing a Hollywood name. There are much more respected film pundits out there who I'm pretty sure would not have been so forceful in a face to face situation.

Back