• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Lost & Found

rynner2 said:
France bars UK gallery from leaving with 'stolen' art

France has laid claim to a 17th Century painting currently being displayed by a London gallery at an art fair in Paris.
The Carrying of the Cross by the French master Nicolas Tournier was bought last year for 400,000 euros ($550,000) by the Weiss Gallery of London.
But the French government says it is stolen property and that its whereabouts had been a mystery for nearly 200 years.
France has put an export ban on the work to prevent it leaving the country.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15628011
Shouldn't this story have been posted over be on the 'Let's Trash Europe' thread?

Pietro_Mercurios said:
rynner2 said:

France has laid claim to a 17th Century painting currently being displayed by a London gallery at an art fair in Paris.

Shouldn't this story have been posted over be on the 'Let's Trash Europe' thread?
Why? It's not a European issue as such, just a case of a painting that's been missing for nearly 200 years.

But if the EU sticks its nose in, then the case will alter! :twisted:

rynner2 said:
Pietro_Mercurios said:
rynner2 said:

Why? It's not a European issue as such, just a case of a painting that's been missing for nearly 200 years.

But if the EU sticks its nose in, then the case will alter! :twisted:
The it can only be a matter of time.

Well if the French insist on taking back stuff they claim was stolen centuries ago, perhaps the Queen should ask for Normandy back...

Timble2 said:
Well if the French insist on taking back stuff they claim was stolen centuries ago, perhaps the Queen should ask for Normandy back...

Well, the Louvre has lent the UK a Da Vinci painting...if we hung onto it, that would be a good trade. :twisted:

Thanks for the memories! Wedding album stolen 17 years ago is mysteriously left outside couple's home
By James Tozer
Last updated at 11:47 AM on 11th November 2011

Amid Nigel and Gillian Stewart’s joy at celebrating 25 years of marriage, one thing was missing.
The couple had no photographs to remember the wedding by, because their caravan was stolen 17 years ago with the cherished album inside.

But this week Mrs Stewart found a mysterious package outside their front gate – and in it, the album.
‘My immediate reaction was that my daughter had ordered something over the internet,’ she said yesterday.
‘Then I thought I was seeing things – I actually thought “This can’t be right”.
‘I read the words “Our wedding” and I thought “Someone’s dropped their wedding album”.’
Only when she opened the pages to find the images of her own big day did the penny finally drop.
The couple, who celebrated their silver wedding anniversary in September, are now desperate to meet and thank whoever left the package, which was sealed inside a plastic bag.

The caravan was stolen from outside the Stewarts’ home in Gilford, County Down, while they were on holiday in Tenerife in November 1994.
‘I didn’t care about the caravan as the insurance covered it — I just wanted the album back,’ Mrs Stewart said.
Despite a public appeal for their return, neither the caravan nor the album were traced.
And the wedding photographer no longer had copies of any of the pictures.

But yesterday an overwhelmed Mrs Stewart said: ‘The returned album is in perfect condition, as if it had only gone astray for a few days.
‘There is not even a fusty smell of it or anything. Everything is perfect.’
Mrs Stewart was pregnant with their son Peter, now 16, when the caravan vanished. They also have a daughter, Emma, 22.
Both have now seen their parents’ wedding photographs for the first time. Mrs Stewart said: ‘It’s lovely for the children – they only know their dad with grey hair.’

She added: ‘Whoever has found it maybe does not want to be known.
‘Or maybe the person who took it has moved house and it has been found by the new people? We have thought of everything.
‘You needn’t be a bit afraid to come forward to me, because I bear no grudges. I would just love whoever it was to come forward, so I could thank them in person.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1daEeFhJD

Lost camera reunited with its owner after a YEAR at the bottom of the ocean...because its pictures could still be viewed
By Beth Stebner
Last updated at 7:36 PM on 29th November 2011

The owner of this waterlogged camera must have thought it was gone for ever, along with his precious holiday pictures, when he dropped it in the ocean.
But a year later a diver spotted it rusting away in the depths and rescued it. Even more astonishingly, he was able to recover the pictures and post them on Google+.
Now, thanks to the wonders of social networking, the owner - an unnamed Canadian fireman - has his holiday photos back.

Wildlife photographer Markus Thompson was scuba diving off Vancouver, British Columbia, when he stumbled upon the strange sight – an expensive digital camera lodged in Deep Bay.
Back on dry land Mr Thompson examined the SD memory card and was able to recover 50 photos.

He then posted messages on Google+ asking if anyone had accidentally dropped the Canon EOS 1000D.
Mr Thompson wrote: ‘Approximately 50 pictures on the card from a family vacation.
'If you know a fire fighter from British Columbia whose team won the Pacific Regional Firefit competition, has a lovely wife and (now) 2 year old daughter – let me know. I would love to get them their vacation photos.’

Social networking sleuths began their detective work. Images recovered from the camera showed a regional fire fighting competition. Faces were compared, and the options were slowly narrowed down.
The search went viral – Mr Thompson received thousands of comments and shares – but it was only after he received an email from a friend of the owner that the mystery of the camera was solved.

The friend, who signed the email simply as ‘Hilary,’ wrote: ‘Hello Mark. Thank you so much for the email. Yes I know exactly who the camera belongs to! He is a Delta Fire Fighter. I will have him contact you.’
On his Google+ page, Mr Thompson details how he conducted his search, which included contacting local firefighters.
He also contacted Canon Canada with the serial number of the camera, but they said they had no record of the number.

Mr Thompson said he tried to conduct the search on Facebook as well. ‘It received one ‘like’ – that’s it (there’s a reason I left)’ he wrote.

The camera – which can cost upwards of $500 new – was lost by the British Columbia firefighter in August 2010.
Not surprisingly, it no longer works.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1fHMClLGE

Ah, rynner, that reminded me of this marvellous site which I had not thought of for years.

I bet it's ten years since I looked at it so I am glad to find it is still up and running. For anyone who has not seen it, it's a bloke who buys old cameras and develops the films inside them. Poignant and intriguing stuff. :)

I found some old negs my grandfather had never developed and so I scanned them in, inverted the colours and found nice pictures of my grandmother in 1948. As she died in the 50s these new images were treasured by my mother.

That's really sweet, Staticgirl :D

Don't normally come into this thread, but this story was too good not to post:

Lost puffin found at Winchester hospital sex clinic

A puffin has been found at a sexual health clinic in Hampshire after it was thought to have been blown off course from its winter migration.

The male juvenile bird was found cowering in a basement building at Winchester's Royal Hampshire County Hospital on Wednesday.

RSPCA staff picked up the puffin and transferred the bird to the Hart Wildlife Rescue centre near Alton.

Staff described the puffin as being "very hungry and exhausted".
'More feisty'

Hart Wildlife Rescue's Charmian Greenland-Jones said they were "full to bursting point" but managed to find room for the seabird. It is the first time they have looked after a puffin.

"We've been feeding him on fish we had in for a herring gull that was being treated here recently and he is now much more feisty."

She said it was thought he had become separated from other puffins flying south from coastal areas of northern Britain to the Bay of Biscay.

It is hoped the creature will be transferred to the South Devon Seabird Trust in Teignmouth.

Jean Bradford from the trust said: "If all is well he may be released next month, if the weather is calm, or kept until March when he can rejoin his fellow puffins on their way back to the breeding colonies."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-16010963

BlackRiverFalls said:
Lost puffin found at Winchester hospital sex clinic

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-16010963
Sadly...

Puffin found at hospital sex clinic in Winchester dies

A lost puffin found at a sexual health clinic in Winchester has died.
The male juvenile was found four days ago at Winchester's Royal Hampshire County Hospital cowering at the bottom of a flight of steps.

Jackie Grey of Hart Wildlife Rescue centre said: "Everyone is naturally very upset as he appeared to be doing so well."
It is thought the bird had been blown off course from its first winter migration to the Bay of Biscay.
Mrs Grey said: "I guess it is fair to assume that something must have been wrong with him to cause him to come down in Winchester in the first place."

RSPCA staff picked up the young puffin on Wednesday and described it as "hungry and exhausted".
They transferred him to the Hart Wildlife Rescue centre near Alton

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-16016898

Heroin found in National Archives file

A sealed package containing heroin was found in an 80-year-old Foreign Office file at the National Archives, its managers have said.
The Class A drug was filed with a document from the British Consulate in Cairo about a 1928 court case.
The off-white powder, discovered by a member of the public who asked to see the file, was sent for analysis.
And having been confirmed as heroin, the substance was handed over to the Metropolitan Police.

The pouch - which contained less than a gram of heroin in 19 sachets - has been replaced with a photo and the file is now back on public display.
National Archives director of operations Jeff James said the discovery hints at more mysteries to be found among the huge bank of archives.
"From time to time, unusual and occasionally valuable objects are unexpectedly discovered within our vast collection of 11 million records," he said. "However, finds of this nature are extremely rare."

The National Archives makes available to the public records dating back more than 1,000 years.
Alongside important historical records like MI5 files and the Domesday Book, researchers have also found unusual items, including a mummified rat and a red pyjama suit. 8)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16244217

Sweden: Wedding ring 'found on carrot' after 16 years

A Swedish woman has discovered her wedding ring on a carrot growing in her garden, 16 years after she lost it, says a newspaper.
Lena Paahlsson had long ago lost hope of finding the ring, which she designed herself, reports Dagens Nyheter.
The white-gold band, set with seven small diamonds, went missing in her kitchen in 1995, she told the paper.
Although the ring no longer fits, she hopes to have it enlarged so she can wear it again.

Mrs Paahlsson and her family live on a farm near Mora in central Sweden.
She took the ring off to do some Christmas baking with her daughters, but it disappeared from the work surface where it had been left, she explained to Dagens Nyheter.
The family searched everywhere and years later took up the tiling on the floor during renovations, in the hope of finding the ring.

It was not until 16 years later when Mrs Paahlsson was pulling up carrots in her garden that she noticed one with the gold band fastened tightly around it.
"The carrot was sprouting in the middle of the ring. It is quite incredible," her husband Ola said to the newspaper.

The couple believe the ring fell into a sink back in 1995 and was lost in vegetable peelings that were turned into compost or fed to their sheep.
"I had given up hope," Mrs Paahlsson told Dagens Nyheter, adding that she wanted to have the ring adjusted to fit her.
"Now that I have found the ring again I want to be able to use it," she said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16374283

8)

Titanic mystery over violin 'from band leader who played on'
The violin played by the bandmaster on the Titanic as the doomed ship went down has been discovered, it has been claimed.
By John Bingham
7:32AM GMT 31 Jan 2012

An auctioneer has hired experts to try to verify claims by the owner of the century old instrument that it belonged to Wallace Hartley, the leader of the vessel’s eight-man musical ensemble.
If proved, it could become the most valuable Titanic artefact ever to be considered for auction. But the claim is being treated with caution as a result.

Hartley and his fellow musicians earned legendary status for their decision to play on as the ship sank on its maiden voyage on April 15, 1912.
They are said to have played the hymn “Nearer My God to Thee” after the vessel hit an iceberg in the North Atlantic.

Press reports at the time said that when Hartley’s body was recovered from the water his violin was strapped to his chest.
The violin and its case were said at the time to be being sent to the White Star line for forwarding to England.
But mystery has surrounded its fate thereafter.

Now the auctioneer Henry Aldridge & Son of Devizes, Wilts, which has a worldwide reputation for handling Titanic artefacts, has disclosed that he has been shown what he believes could prove to be Wallace’s violin.
The owner, who is not related to Hartley, says that the violin was sent to Hartley’s fiancée Maria Robertson.
There is said to be a diary containing a draft of a letter from Miss Robertson thanking the authorities for returning the violin.

The case carries his initials, WHH, and the instrument itself is said to carry the inscription “For Wallace on the occasion of our engagement, Maria.”
It could explain why Hartley kept the instrument strapped to his chest.

Mr Aldridge has already spent thousands of pounds on research to try to verify the owner’s claims including scientific tests to determine whether it was in the water a century ago.
He said: “The owner has not made up their mind if they would want to sell it but I think it is more likely it will go on exhibition if it is proved to be genuine.
"We hope to have a definite answer some time this year. We cannot rush the scientists."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... ed-on.html

Is this the most honest man in Britain? Contractor hands in £21,000 Rolex to police after finding it down drain
By Andrew Levy
Last updated at 2:18 AM on 15th February 2012

For Arron Large, it was all in an honest day's work.
While cleaning the streets of Southend-on-Sea, the council contractor discovered a Rolex watch in a drain.
Yet rather than pocketing the £21,000 Oyster Perpetual Cosmograph, the conscientious Mr Large promptly handed his find in to police.
However, he could be about to find that honesty pays – because if the owner hasn't come forward in 30 days, the watch will be returned to him.

The 28-year-old, from Rayleigh, Essex, said: 'We are used to finding all sorts of fake gold in the drains so when I initially saw it I was not overly excited.
'But it cleaned up really nicely and the gold did not rub off, so I realised it might be something special. In some ways it would be quite nice if the owner came forward and claimed it. But then again, they were probably insured, so I am quietly hoping I will get to keep it.
'If no one claims it I would definitely use any money from the sale to clear my debts.'

The father-of-two, who is employed by a waste management firm, found the watch, which is still working, near Chalkwell railway station on Friday.
A jeweller confirmed it was a genuine 18-carat gold timepiece from the Rolex Daytona collection. It has not been reported missing or stolen.
Strictly speaking, if the watch went unclaimed it would belong to Mr Large, who lives in Rayeigh with Rachel Cozins, 25, and their four-year-old twins.
But he said he would come to some agreement to share any profits with his colleague Ray Gunn, who was driving the cleaning vehicle they were using when he made the valuable find.
'We are guessing that a lot of people will come forward to try and claim it as their own,' he added. 'We are just going to have to wait and see what happens.'

PC Calley Mackay, of Essex Police, said efforts were being made to reunite the watch with its owner - but without luck so far.
'This was a highly unusual find and it's hard to imagine how something so valuable has not been reported lost or stolen by its owner,' she said.
'It is possible, seeing as the drain was near a train station, that the watch was dropped by a commuter. If you recognise it and believe it may be yours, please contact me.
'However, through the serial number we do know a little about the watch's origins and will be thoroughly checking any claim to ownership, so only honest people need apply.'

A force spokesman added no more information would be given 'for investigative reasons and to improve the chances of the watch being returned to its rightful owner'.
But it is understood the serial number can be used to confirm which dealer sold it originally. Rolex have been unable to help police because they do not keep a database of customer purchases.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1mT3oTJ00

Or his sister - Liza.

:)

I know a Donald Gunn - clearly no relation! ;)

That bloke who found the rolex has found another 3 or 4 according to a piece from last night's Inside Out: London on BBC1. He found one whilst they were filming and swore (it was bleeped out of cause.)

Police think it might have been a stash from a burglary perhaps but if no-one claims the watches in 30 days he gets to keep them.

Turn-up for the books as library gets return 100 years later
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 51440.html
LUKE CASSIDY

Tue, Mar 06, 2012

A 500-year-old medical textbook has finally found its way back to Dublin’s Marsh’s Library having been lost for more than a century.

It was bought along with an antique mirror for €90 from a Dublin junk shop by an unnamed barrister and returned to the library last Friday. Dr Jason McElligott of the library described the find as “gold dust”.

Originally published in 1538 in Basle, Switzerland, the book is the third volume in a series of five on the medical works of physician, philosopher and surgeon Galen.

Dr McElligott told The Irish Times that the book had been part of the library’s collection since its foundation in 1701.

The volumes were previously owned by the 17th-century English physician and scholar Theodore Gulston, who set about improving on Galen’s works by updating them and making the text clearer for students.

The book in question is heavily marked with annotations and even has slips of paper held in place with a needle containing Gulston’s notes on the text.

“In terms of scholarship and learning it is absolutely priceless,” Dr McElligott said.

“What we have is a very important medic in the history of medicine working through his thoughts as he’s working through the work of Galen.

“Throughout the book there are notes to himself . . . he put a slip of paper and pins it in with a needle – the 17th century equivalent of a thumbtack – so for historians and academics this is like gold dust.”

Dr McElligott said Archbishop Narcissus Marsh bought or was donated the book some time before coming to Dublin in 1679 and it formed part of the library’s original collection.

Although Marsh’s was the first public library in Ireland, books have never been lent out and Dr McElligott said a “significant” medical text like this would have been kept locked away even when it disappeared more than 100 years ago.

When the book was returned on Friday – wrapped in a copy of The Irish Times – Dr McElligott said he knew “within a few seconds it was the missing copy”.

The barrister who returned the book said it had reached the junk shop following a clearance of a house in Dublin 4.

Dr McElligott said the library was very grateful to have the book back and it was complete luck that somebody with a knowledge of books thought “hang on, that doesn’t belong in a junk shop”.

He described the unnamed barrister as a “complete gentleman and a scholar” before adding: “What was particularly impressive is he declined all offers of a reward – all he wanted to do was do the right thing.”

Art experts find 'possible' Leonardo Da Vinci fresco
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17337752

An endoscope was used to probe behind the Vasari fresco

Related Stories

'Lost Da Vinci' prompts art row
Row over lost Da Vinci painting
How long do you need to look at a Leonardo?

Researchers in Italy say they may have found traces of a Leonardo Da Vinci work hidden under a Florentine fresco.

Tiny probes, sent through drilled holes in Giorgio Vasari's The Battle of Marciano in the Palazzo Vecchio, found black pigment also used in the Mona Lisa, project workers claimed.

"These data are very encouraging," said the project's leader Maurizio Seracini.

But historians at a press conference in Florence stressed their research was "not conclusive".

They added that further chemical analysis needed to be carried out.

"Although we are still in the preliminary stages of the research and there is still a lot of work to be done to solve this mystery, the evidence does suggest that we are searching in the right place," said Seracini, who works at the University of California in San Diego.

The probes also discovered red lacquer and brown pigment on the hidden wall.

The research has been controversial, with some art experts signing a petition to stop the investigation because the drilling is damaging Vasari's existing work.

Tomaso Montanari, an art historian who has led the opposition to the research said that he did not "consider the source of these findings credible."

He added: "What do they mean by saying the findings are compatible with Leonardo? Any painting from the Renaissance would be. Anything from that era could be painted on that wall."

"What lacked here is a neutral team that has the scientific authority to evaluate this. It is very complex."

Seracini believes Da Vinci's unfinished The Battle of Anghiari lies beneath Vasari's work.

It is believed Da Vinci started painting his fresco - which is considered by some to be his finest work - in 1504 but abandoned the project because of problems arising from his experimental oil painting technique.

The room was later renovated and Vasari painted his fresco in 1563.

Seracini believes Vasari did not want to destroy Da Vinci's work and instead bricked it up behind a new wall on which he painted.

His theory was stimulated after finding a soldier on Vasari's work holding a small flag bearing the words: "He who seeks, finds."

These cases are becoming more common.

Found, the boy kidnapped as a baby eight years ago
http://www.independent.ie/world-news/am ... 52664.html

When investigators spoke to Krystle Tanner, she allegedly gave contradictory reports about the child's background

By Rosa Prince
Friday March 16 2012

A BABY boy who was allegedly kidnapped by his babysitter neighbour eight years ago is due to be reunited with his mother.

Miguel Antonio Morin was just eight months old when he went missing after his mother Auboni Champion-Morin left him with their teenage neighbour, Krystle Tanner, who was also the boy's godmother.

Police said that he was found in the Texas town of San Augustine, around 165 miles away from the Houston apartment house where the neighbours had been living when Miguel went missing.

Sheriff's Chief Deputy Gary Cunningham said that the boy was in a good condition and was in the care of the Texas Child Protection Services.

He disclosed that Tanner had been arrested in connection with the kidnapping following an investigation launched by Child Protection Services in August into allegations that she had been negligent in supervising her children, and had physically abused an eight-year-old.

Mrs Champion-Morin, a mother of six, said she thought it was a joke when the child welfare agency telephoned her to say that Miguel had been found.

She told CNN: "I kind of had to look at the phone - was this real? At first it kind of scared me."

Describing the night her son was kidnapped, Mrs Champion said she had five children under the age of four at the time, and had asked Tanner to look after Miguel, who was her youngest at the time, because she was struggling to cope.

The two families were close, sharing Thanksgiving and Christmas meals, and she had no reason to suspect that he would not be safe with the teenager.

"At that time, I trusted her, I knew her," she said. "I was having hardship at the time. I asked her to watch him overnight, and when I came back... they were gone."

Tanner, who was a high school student, did not turn up to her classes that morning, and her mother told Mrs Champion-Morin that she had left the state.

Deputy Cunningham said that the state's child welfare agency began investigating Tanner after receiving a report that she had been neglecting her children and singling out an eight-year-old for abuse.

When investigators spoke to Tanner, she allegedly gave contradictory reports about the child's background, first saying that he was hers, then that he was the son of her brother or another person.

Deputy Cunningham said: "She admitted that she provided misleading information, which certainly supports our belief that she kidnapped the child."

The little boy could now be returned to his family by the end of the week, once blood tests prove definitively that he is Miguel.

Mrs Champion-Morin said that she had never given up hope that she would find him. "I always wondered every night. I dreamed and prayed on it," she said.

"I'm going to let him know I love him with all my heart ... and any questions he has, I will answer them. It will be hard. We will probably have to go to a psychiatrist together."

- Rosa Prince

I seem to have been losing things rather frequently recently. At the end of last year I lost my backpack, with my digital camera and various other stuff. No sign of any of it since... :(

More recently I lost a woolly glove (which probably fell out of my pocket when I pulled a thermal hat out of it). And then I thought I'd lost my old Uni scarf, which I've been using ever since I lost my regular scarf - but the uni scarf has since turned up, neatly folded, in a pocket of my (current) backpack. But I have no recollection of ever putting it there!

Oddest of all, I lost my electric meter key a few weeks ago, which was annoying as EdF had not long before sent a letter about the cost of a replacement (several quid). But I had to get a replacement, so I went through the appropriate motions and got one - at no cost! :D

Today, walking to the bus stop, I noticed a SWEB meter key stuck in the top of a fence. Now the key I lost was a SWEB one (EdF have obviously taken over from them since the keys were issued), and I think the key in the fence was mine, which had fallen out of a hole in my pocket somewhere. But since I now have a working meter key, I left the SWEB key where it was, on the off-chance that someone else in this area has recently lost one.

Wallet found 12 years after being lost in River Frome
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-18178075

Graeme Forbes was 16 when he lost the wallet during a slalom event

Related Stories

Wallet claimed after 40 years
Lost wallet found after 55 years
Lobster's snappy return of wallet

A wallet has been returned to its owner 12 years after he lost it in a Somerset river while kayaking.

Graeme Forbes, 28, from Sheffield, lost it when his kayak overturned during a slalom event on the River Frome near Trowbridge in 2000.

It was found last Thursday near a weir in the village of Tellisford by Anthony Battersby after heavy rain.

The owner was tracked down through a British Canoe Union (BCU) membership card which was found inside.

Mr Forbes, who was 16 years old and lived in Reading at the time, said he had been taking part in a slalom competition run by Frome Canoe Club when his kayak overturned.

"I came out of the river gargling quite a lot of water and I quickly realised where it must have gone, but a flooding river wasn't the best place to look for a wallet," he said.

Lost glasses
"We had a poke around by the bridge to look for it but I had to give it up for lost."

Mr Forbes received a telephone call on Monday from the BCU informing him of the discovery.

"They asked if I'd lost a wallet and instantly I knew what they were talking about because I've not canoed in several years," he said.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

The ability to hang on to things when canoeing was never my strong point”

Graeme Forbes
Mr Forbes contacted Mr Battersby who has now posted the wallet back to him.

"There was still £2.60 in it which I've offered him to cover the cost of the postage," said Mr Forbes.

"It's a great vindication of human nature that people, if they find something, will make an effort to return it. Most people are pretty decent after all."

Mr Forbes added: "I lost pair of glasses while canoeing once as well. The ability to hang on to things when canoeing was never my strong point."

Oops I forgot - library book returned after 80 years
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18279513
By Nuala McCann
BBC News

Many library books are not returned on time, but 80 years is a record

Related Stories

Council has library book amnesty

A library book has been returned to Navan library in the Republic of Ireland ... 80 years late.

A mystery borrower slipped the book discreetly through the letterbox at the county library at the weekend.

It was checked out in 1932. County librarian Ciaran Mangan estimates that the book has chalked up a fine of 4,160 euros.

But they are just delighted to see it back.

''It was an item that had been out on loan effectively since it was published and put into stock and the system in 1932," he explained.

Based on the original 1930s fine of one penny per week, the librarian calculated that the book had incurred fines of €4,160.

But they would like to make a bargain.

"As good Christians, we decided we would waive that fine if the person appears in person and confesses to having returned the book."

There are no details on the original borrower because the library's computerised records only date back to 1994.

However, someone may have had their conscience pricked because the overdue book is a pictorial record of the 31st International Eucharistic Congress in Dublin in 1932.

The 50th International Eucharistic Congress takes place in Dublin next month.

The book has generated a lot of interest.

"We believe it was well cared for and was probably shelved with the family's collection, getting lost among their own books," said Mr Mangan.

"We have it on display as it is attracting a lot of attraction."

"In the uncertain light of the candle, our shadows danced on the wall horde fantastic. We tâtonnions foot, we rasions walls carrying a lot of dust with our clothes. Thus, the library with huge cellars of the National Academy of music and singing, we walked like characters in a very dark drama . . . "

The drama is all the darker for Google's strange translation of this French website which records the discovery of the "Polls" or lead urn-style ballot-boxes beneath the Palais Garnier Opera House of Paris. Yes, the haunt of The Phantom of the Opera! These were the time-capsules in which were preserved mint copies of gramophone records of the stars of one hundred years ago.

The website records the opening of the urns in a delightful little film and enables the visitor to listen to the sounds retrieved from the discs.

http://expositions.bnf.fr/voix/02.htm

A geeky delight! :)

Ex-Manchester United footballer's medal found at Shropshire school

A former Manchester United footballer is to have a medal officially handed back to him after it was discovered in a cupboard at a Shropshire school.
The medal was found in a cupboard at Buildwas Primary School, near Telford.

Steve James, 62, played for the Red Devils from 1966-76 and was part of the team that won the old Division Two title in the 1974-75 season.
He will be reunited with the medal, thought to have been stolen in the 80s, in a ceremony at the school later.

School governor Nigel Bowen said he was given the gold medal following a clearout at the school in January.
He had it valued at £500 by a jeweller and then set about finding its rightful owner.
He said: "In the end, after some good old-fashioned research - the phone book - I tracked down Steve's father's house in Coseley and was then able to find Steve himself.
"Steve had not seen the medal for over 30 years.
"The mystery is we cannot work out how it ended up at the school."

Mr Bowen said he had been told by Mr James that the medal was probably stolen from his father's house in the 1980s along with some international caps he earned representing England at a junior level.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sh ... e-18629111

Another sports find:

Baseball card treasure trove uncovered in Ohio attic
Collection of 700 pristine cards could be worth £1.8m
guardian.co.uk, Thursday 12 July 2012 00.45 BST

A collection of baseball cards found in an Ohio attic could be worth millions of dollars.
Karl Kissner and his cousin were rummaging through their late grandfather's attic when they found a box of cards depicting stars such as Ty Cobb, Cy Young and Honus Wagner.

The 51-year-old compared his find in February to an art collector locating a long-lost Mona Lisa, while Chris Ivy of Heritage Auctions in Dallas, which is handling the sale of the cards, said: "We're considering it the most significant find in the history of the hobby."

Kissner, his cousin and 18 other members of their extended family are set to split $2.8m (£1.8m) from the sale of the 700 pristine cards. The discovery has doubled the number of 1910 cards known to be in existence. Many baseball card collectors do not bother with the 1910 edition because examples were so scarce, Ivy said.

Kissner, who runs a family-owned restaurant that opened in 1928, said his grandfather, Carl Hench, was a butcher in Defiance, Ohio, who sold candy and gave away baseball cards as a marketing strategy. He said the cards were probably left over and forgotten inside a cardboard box normally used to hold women's clothing.

Hench died in 1944, and his wife died in 1976.
"My aunt, who never married, then lived in the house and she was a bit of a pack rat, so nothing ever left the house," Kissner said.
When she died, Kissner invited family members over to engage in "a trip down memory lane" by going through their belongings, an exercise that ended up uncovering the treasure.

The most valuable 37 cards will be auctioned on 2 August at Baltimore's Camden Yards baseball field during the National Sports Collectors Convention. Bids are being taken online at www.ha.com

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... ohio-attic

Back