• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
A

Anonymous

I was chatting to a Mormon this morning (not dificult i know) anyway i managed to find out that he knew nothing of the "problems" in Salt Lake city despite being for there what with the odd car bomb and recent Mormon masacre int the 1800's discoveries... i wasnt trying to upset him just wanting to know if the acnoledged them.. anyone know more about it all?....

i did glean he owned five guns and had never heard of Micheal Moore........

incitement to religious intolerance

"Problems"? I quite agree.

Now, religion is each man's personal party (or it should be), but i believe i'm right in thinking that Mormons don't, as a rule, ingest toxins... problem.

This, of course, brings them into direct conflict with the central tennents of the established English religion: tea-drinking.

Sorry, Mormonism's not for me, i have my beliefs.

Here we go: http://www.lightplanet.com/mormons/daily/health/tea_eom.htm

Text reads : Devout Latter-day Saints do not drink teas containing caffeine. This practice derives from an 1833 revelation known as the Word of Wisdom, which states that "hot drinks are not for the body or the belly" (D&C 89:9). Hyrum Smith, Assistant President of the Church, later defined "hot drinks" as coffee and tea (T&S 3 [June 1, 1842]:800), thereby establishing the official interpretation for later generations (see Doctrine and Covenants: Section 89). Caffeine, a cerebral and cardiovascular stimulant, has caused health concerns in recent years. The revelation has not been interpreted as proscribing herbal teas, for it states that "all wholesome herbs God hath ordained for the Constitution, nature, and use of man" (D&C 89:10).

'Wholesome Herbs' sounds promising.

Last edited:
Re: incitement to religious intolerance

The Yitthian said:
Devout Latter-day Saints do not drink teas containing caffeine.

Various plants of the genus Ephedra are known as 'Mormon tea' as they were used as coffee/tea substitutes by Mormons. They contain ephedrine, which is chemically very similar to methamphetamine.

I served with a Mormon in the U.S. Navy.As a general rule,he wouldn't drink anything with caffeine,although he would imbibe the occasional Pepsi.On those occasions we good naturedly ribbed the hell out of him.

In a very odd move, I had a pair of Mormon's
actually come up and ring my doorbell last weekend.
I thought the Jehovah's were the only ones who did that!

Even when I politely said "No thanks," and was closing
the door, one of them was still shouting his spiel at me!

That was a first!

TVgeek

P.S. If they had been wearing identical black suits,
I probably would have gleefully shouted "MIB! MIB!!!"
and invited them in! ;)

It's very unusual for Mormons to be that aggressive, as although we have had the occasional visit from them over the years we've always found them to be most polite and respectful individuals. Though we've had a few Jehovahs stick their foot in the door now and then. No offence to anyone of that religion, etc. etc.

Mormons are very nice.
Couldn't eat a whole one though.

I was very interested to read that Mormons aren't supposed to drink tea because my mothers' aunt and ALL her children are Mormons. Every year they come to our annual Chrimbo bash clutching their soft drinks (We only have minimal mixers and squash for the ickle people) but they always have tea. Very odd because they're pretty strict. The small ones were horrified at my lack of church going and lectured me about my immortal soul.

Is it true that the male door to door Mormons go round in pairs and wear non removable underwear so they don't get seduced by wicked housewives?

I dont like street religion

I think the bloody mormons should be driven off the streets. I get stopped every lunchtime in bristol by these corrupt and/or brainwashed fools and they never ever learn.

To get rid of them I say "Pagan and Proud" and brush them away like the worthless scum that they are.

no religion should be allowed to advertise and it should be illegal to push religion by pestering innocent people in the street. this goes for the people with stupid banners about christ too.

Rant over with.. I thank you

Chriswim, if you know anything about the Christian faith you would know that it is by essence a missionary faith. From the days of Jesus himself missionaries have been sent out two by two to preach the gospel. Mormons only do what is expected of them as devout Christians. If you object to their missionary efforts then you have to object to the Hindu parades, the Buddhist monks who walk through their towns and villages in Asia collecting alms, the Hare Krishna marches through towns and even to the presence of Druids at Stonehenge(given that Druids have no connection to Stonehenge but the modern lot claim it as one of their holy sights).

Intolerance of any kind - be it from a religious or non religious person, is dangerous. Usually a sign of insecurity, ignorance with its accompanying fear or weakness.

Erm let me see....

Do I get pestered by a Buddhists or Hindu’s every day? No just Mormons. Do I get angry at a passing Hindu parade ? erm no because I don’t see them on a daily basis (never seen one). do I dislike Hindu's, Buddhists, Jews ect ect ? No I don’t (providing they leave me alone, which they have done so far)

What I am talking about ? Harassment. Every day I get stopped by a Mormon, sometimes several times in a day and I object to this, just like I object to the accident group vultures, beggars, charity workers, catalogue representatives and people trying to convince me to buy a mobile phone or change my gas supplier. By far the most common pests at this point in time are Mormons (although they are starting to avoid me now :) ).

From the days of Jesus himself missionaries have been sent out two by two to preach the gospel. Mormons only do what is expected of them as devout Christians.

Am I obliged to put up with this or can I exercise my own free will and object to the progressive brainwashing that Christian related organisations throw at the unsuspecting public as they wonder around on their lunch break. I don’t have to listen to these irritating people if I do not wish to and believe me, I don’t want to listen nor do I want to be approached.

Intolerance of any kind - be it from a religious or non religious person, is dangerous. Usually a sign of insecurity, ignorance with its accompanying fear or weakness.

Oh dear me. You do like to make assumptions. I will show your post to my GF (Christian), and Ex-GF (Mormon -who didn’t preach and didn’t mind dating a Pagan) and my Father (Christian) and My colleague and good friend Dil (Hindu). If you like I will even show it to some of my gay friends and a Druid that I know (we have a varied community for a seaside resort).

Lets Compromise shall we. Mormons stand still with a sign that says "Please speak to me about my deity, or if you prefer live your life as you see fit and find your own path" rather than stop you in the street.

My intolerance relates to harassment and inappropriate advertising. Nothing more. If that makes me insecure, ignorant and weak so mote it be :D

Live long and well :hello:

Fair enough, I say. I have no objection to any religion whatsoever, except those that can't take "No, thank you" for an answer. Anyone who pesters me past that point takes full responsibility for the possible barrage of abuse in return that might follow.

I was brought up Catholic and had no choice but to have their religious doggerel shoved down my throat, day in, day out, and being told I was going to burn in hell for all eternity if I committed any one of a variety of ridiculous "sins". Now I am also a pagan, having found my own path in life, and am so glad Catholics don't knock on the door trying to convert people. I don't think I could contain myself if they did.

My main problem with Mormons is seeing some shiny 19 year old in a C&A who's been allowed out on his own for the first time accosting me in the street and wearing a badge that says:

Elder (insert name here)

The only people who would regard them as an 'elder' are still in kindergarten. Argh!

And the Jesus Army are even worse.

As for doorstep religion, picture the scene:

Sunday morning, 10 am. Thumping hangover, just started on first cup of tea and cigarette of the day. Knock on door. Answer door. Confronted by lobotomised grin.
"Hello, have you ever wondered about world peace?"

I mean, shouldn't this type of person be in church on a Sunday morning?

Personaly I haven't trusted mormons since I read 'A study in scarlet' by Authur Conan Doyle...

I did however once have mormons taking to me in my house and they left their little book of mormon for me to look at. I read a bit from it over the next few nights with increasing scheptacisam each day, before hapening on a passage that refered to the persecution of christians that was happening accross the sea. such a shame that the passage was ment to come from the time before Jesuses birth...

I also take issue with the jehova's witnesses as they claim jesus was the first man on earth and none of the events in the old testament took place, just seams to me to be an attempt to disrespect the very man you are suposed to venerate (jesus was a Jew and as well as that they recon therefore that none of the work God carryed out before jesus's birth happened).

I'm happy to be a protestant:D

Bosbaba said:
Chriswim, if you know anything about the Christian faith you would know that it is by essence a missionary faith. From the days of Jesus himself missionaries have been sent out two by two to preach the gospel. Mormons only do what is expected of them as devout Christians.

Yo! Mormons believe that there is a specifically limited number of available slots in heaven, and so the 'conversion" of others to the Mormon faith is not intended to save the converted (who are rather far down the ladder), but rather to rack up brownie point to get personally closer to goal in the race for those limited slots. Also, the Mormon faith requires (not encourages, as do other faiths) tithes of somewhere between 10 and 30% of your GROSS incomes as reported by your income taxes, which you MUST reveal to the church on demand, and if you aren't paying, you have to cough up or be kicked out. So the efforts by Mormons to convert are more of a church moneymaking effort than anything else.

Also, Christians are, by definition, followers of the principals of Jesus Christ, as set forth by his teachings, as recorded by the writings of his disciples. That means the Christian Bible, specifically the New Testament, as a renewal of the teachings of the Old Testament.

Mormons do not rely on the Bible as their main source of beliefs, but rather a book written by Joseph Smith, purportedly handed over to him in the form of golden tablets by an angel....named MORONi. That'll tell you something, right there.

And you are right, intolerance is very distasteful. So are uninformed diatribes.

So being a mormon is like being in one of those pyramid selling scemes?

Adrian Veidt said:
So being a mormon is like being in one of those pyramid selling scemes?

Only if you are (1) one of the true elders of the church or (2) have cast off your illusions.

I personally look at the Mormonism as more or a cult than a Christian religion, but that's just my take on it. I know a few ex-Mormons who agree with me, but some people don't have as much trouble accepting codswallop in a Cathedral as the real McCoy.

Chriswsm said:
What I am talking about ? Harassment. Every day I get stopped by a Mormon, sometimes several times in a day and I object to this, just like I object to the accident group vultures, beggars, charity workers, catalogue representatives and people trying to convince me to buy a mobile phone or change my gas supplier.

I find it odd to be quoting myself but...

I have just thought of a great term for the above:

:spinning Street Spam :spinning
Pronunciation: 'street spam
Function: noun
Date: 2002
: unsolicited usually commercial or religious interruption to as many people in the street as possible

Remember, you heard it here first (unless someone said it first elsewhere)

:blah:

i find this religion thing dificult to handle all together...why believe anything that makes your life harder? at least pick one that convenient ah!.......... and no as i pointed ou tthe the Mormon or Elder Omar as his label said ...belevers in supernatural beaings dont have the monoploy in morals.

You know Mormons are busy bringing people into their faith by means of old electoral rolls etc.? Any of you ancestors may have already been ( don't know the word they use) 'baptised?' as a Mormon. I don't know if they do it with names of the living but they do with the names of the dead whether they would have wanted to or not . Their genealogy site is the best on the net for ancestral research!

http://www.familysearch.org/

None Of Them Knew They Were Robots

I made the mistake of not taking anything to read or listen to on the train one day and got into a conversation with some Mormons. I was feeling pretty congenial so I asked them a few questions about their religion. The things they told me were surprising if not downright ridiculous. For example they believe that Jesus did a whistle-stop tour of the North American continent sometime after his resurrection and this was all related by a prophet called Lehi or something. Nutters. And they exude that eerie, glassy-eyed calmness that all dedicated christians share.

Recently, some wag invited a pair of doorknocking Mormons into his home and gave them some hash cookies. Being hungry from all their walking the lads wolfed a dozen or so of these 'cookies' each only to stumble into the local emergency ward some time later having no idea what had happened to them. It must have scared the shit out of them. Hilarious.

Actually Mormons do not believe that there are a limited number of spaces in heaven - to my knowledge this is a belief of the Jehovah's witnesses.

Mormons believe that just about everyone will make it to heaven - where in heaven is the question.

I can appreciate that it is annoying to be accosted regularly by Mormons - but please don't tarnish 10 million people on your experiences with a few. That is very unreasonable. If I was to do that I should hate all Catholics because of the abuse a few of their nuns dished out to my mother when she was in convent school, I should hate all Anglicans because of the way members of their congregation mistreated my father, and I should hate all the British because of the way they treated my grandmother and great-grandmother in the concentration camps during the Anglo-Boer war. Sweeping assumptions are dangerous, especially when based on incomplete or incorrect facts and, as a Mormon(not practising) myself, I can honestly say that a lot of 'facts' circulating about our religion are blatantly false.

I dislike missionaries myself, especially the bible thumping variety - and I do say no thanks when approached - even most Mormon missionaries never figure out that I am one(one benefit of moving country a lot), but I have never felt the need to get rude. The reason people find themselves accosted regularly is largely because missionaries get transfered around a lot and as such the new faces are not likely to know about you or to start recognising you until they have had a few run ins with you.

Having lived and worked in many different countries I have come to realise that intolerance takes on many different forms - just because someone has friends of different races/religions and sexual orientations does not mean that they are immune to being intolerant or discriminating against someoene or something. Maybe my statement was too sweeping in itself, but please reread your post Chriswim and tell me how tolerant that was. Personally I don't understand your need to condemn all of us because you have had a few negative experiences in Bristol.

Point taken. Perhaps I should point out that the post in question was written after I had returned from the pub and I had had a pint or 3. I do not hate all Mormons, hence the ex GF reference above. May I point out that she is only an ex due to the fact that her parents didnt like the idea of her dating a pagan. How intolerent is that ? (had to see her in secret for a bit)

Its not just Bristol. I have also been pestered in Cardiff, Weston super Mare, Bath, London and Edinburgh. If I was to include the Accident group, beggers etc etc (see list above) the list of towns would go on forever.

I do wonder if they ever capture anyone that isnt stressed, depressed, lonely or mentally ill. If these are the only people they catch in the street then they are blatantly taking adventage of them. I am suspicious of their motives as I am for any religious Cult (I have never been very trusting).

Chrisswim - I can appreciate your statements. My friend dated a mormon in New Zealand and his(the Mormon) parents had an issue with him dating a non-member to the extent that they even started to read the letters they wrote to each other - fortunately JR Tolkien stepped in and they started writing their letters to each other in Elvish - it was easily learnt and their parents could not figure it out.

When I converted to this religion I lost what was one of my oldest and dearest friends - her mother did not want her associating with a Mormon because we were considered devil worshippers and hence a bad influence. Most of our extended family also launched into a mission to save our souls - was quite amusing really - my aunt and her daughter tried so hard but failed in every attempt.

I know this thread pertains largely to this one faith but a lot of what is related here I could apply to the reborn christians back in South Africa and to Jehovah's witnesses in London. I guess it would annoy you if you ran into it too often but I have acquired the knack of avoiding what I don't want to deal with - giving out the right kind of vibes seems to work well.

Bosbaba said:
When I converted to this religion I lost what was one of my oldest and dearest friends - her mother did not want her associating with a Mormon because we were considered devil worshippers

Now this is confusing. How can a Mormon be considered a Devil worshipper :confused: Your friends parents are REALLY odd (and most likely influenced by a really manic Christian of some sort). I know how it feels to be called a devil worshipper tho as Pagans get it a lot. I find it funny if people call me that as I believe evil is a thing of man and man alone. I certainly don't believe in the Devil any more than I do Father Christmas, the tooth fairy, an honest politician or the boogyman. :devil:

Back