• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Crocodile Attacks

Tags sorted, so now the rest of us know who's quoting whom and saying what. For example:
DIPHOB said:
.. I do respect crocs as with all nature and I have to call your integrity on such matters.... Crocs aren't responsible for the depletion of tiger stock. We are.
"Calling integrity" is a little over the top, wouldn't you say? You asked for evidence, LM supplied some. And at no point did anyone say that crocs are responsible for the decline in tiger numbers, merely that it's not a purely one-way fight - crocs can clobber big cats, even if it's usually the other way round.

DIPHOB said:
lordmongrove said:
DIPHOB said:
lordmongrove said:
You can hold a crocs jaws shut wiith your hands. The bite down with 5000lbs of pressure per square inch ( a great white shark hass only 400lbs biting power). But the opening muscles are very weak. However a big croc would just shake it head and fling you like a doll. They can kil and eat tigers, lions and sharks so humans are no problem.
Old Rover is the C4 show the one with rap 'artist' Robbert Twigger? If so i've seen it, he,s a dick.

Mongrove, show me one instance of a croc killing something as resistant as a tiger on youtube and I will show you the opposite. It's all about evidence. Please put your evidence up here of a croc killing somethong as canny as a big cat. It seems, lately, lionesses are mugging your babies, if the camera is anything to go by.

I've studied crocs all my life and worked with a number of species, there are many accounts of crocodiles killing bic cats, its well know. Here is just a couple.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... tiger.html

http://blog.londolozi.com/2011/03/remem ... haws-male/

And I recognise that bias. And if anecdotal aint good enough for religious belief or UFOs for Forteans it aint good enough in this instance. I'm sure it's happened but there's only the one case of recorded evidence. And again, much to your chagrin, I ask anybody to tap in ' Tiger V Croc' on youtube to see the result ( 'Tiger attacking crocodile!!-!youtube).
and witness an angry, smart tigress( half the weight of a male tiger and it is a Sundaban croc, therefore saltwater) seemingly clever and well practised enough (one could argue it's inherent and natural) to kill a large croc pretty adeptly. Check it out. The definition of 'Shit. I thought I was tough I'm not. It is. I'm in trouble' it's over.'-They picked on the wrong gal.
The movement to confuse is amazing!
My feeling is that these beasts have been performing this dance a lot longer than you've been studying reptiles and there's big respect shared that us humans are only just finding out about. Check that 'Fang the lion' narrated by Samuel L Jackson on Youtube. That male lion is a brute. And they recognise it and back off. It's fawn coloured like an antelope but it's got something different than hooves at the end of it's feet and it doesn't cud chew. Watch how it holds up its paw. I put the warm bloods above the cold 'uns. It's the ultimate ball of testosterone with a mamalian brain and the most humungous forelimbs (holding limbs to perform the bite-target head-brain-eyes-neck bone-never mind length or weight -once the claws are in they do rodeo-game over in cat game) an animal could possess and they seem to know it.They don't want to lose their eyes or have their brain pierced. Sorry to piss on your chips. I do respect crocs as with all nature and I have to call your integrity on such matters. I studied big cats like an idiot savant as a child. Crocs aren't responsible for the depletion of tiger stock. We are. And such things shouldn't be reduced to a cage fight in Vegas. These poor things are only acting on instinct and occasionally have a clash of interests. Normally, they do their best to avoid each other. It just annoyed me the way you threw it out as a natural and regular occurrence. Peace.

Christ, listen to your self 'piss on your chips' how old are you, five? Yes jauguars prey on small caiman. Other big cats kill crocs but crocs can and do prey on big cats. The film of the tiger killing a croc was a mugger crocodile not a saltwater crocodile. Even a big mugger is perfectly capable of killing a tiger. The croc only has to get in one good bite. Any limb caught between those jaws in ruined and a cat skull would be crushed. Big crocs have brought down black rhino anf gaur that dwarf any big cat and if the fight is in the water its game over. The out come of these conflicts depends on the health and size of the animals involved, the setting and most importantly who gets the drop on who. From a life time of working with and studying animals my money would be on a large croc against any kind of big cat.
And never, ever call my integrity

lordmongrove said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu76HITtXNo

Small croc sees off tiger

You originally said kill. And I recognise this clip. That is a large naïve, male cub learning the ropes. Earlier, in that programme, you will see his mother boldly leading it through the croc infested swamp and, as mentioned by the Narrator, who I believe was Fergal Keane, and I paraphrase, it was running them through the hazards of existence. Trust me, that was not a full grown, mature 'Bengal- ( An Indian Doctor friend from the Ranthambor area told me that 'Bengal'
' is only an English term for a tiger whose territory used to stretch far, far wider than that. The English shot them all. They call it' tiger.' And he said every native beast is in great fear of it. The sniff. A mere grunt is picked up. It lives up to the Blake legend).
Lord Mongrove, I appreciate your appreciation for reptiles and I apologise for the chip term and challenging your integrity. I massively appreciate your bold and brave derring do and approach to life what with you going places and personally checking stuff out, I really do.You live the dream rather than us wankers pouting and sneering from the armchair. And I congratulated you personally on a lecture once after an unconvention. You and Jan Bondeson were the highights for me. O I just think that your love gets in the way of accuracy sometimes and should be tempered. God, keep up the exploration. I'd love to join you soon. I retire from dealing with dangerous humans soon. A change is as good as a rest.

Again a small croc but being crushed by an accountant is (Monty) Pythonesque.

Crocodile Injured After 18 Stone Accountant Falls On Him In Freak Circus Bus Crash

A crocodile is recovering after the circus vehicle he was travelling in hit a pothole causing an 18 stone accountant to fall on him.

Fyodor, of the Soviet Circus animal troupe, was sleeping peacefully when the van lost control in Murmansk, north western Russia on Tuesday.

The jolt sent the portly accountant – who was not wearing a seat belt – hurtling into Fyodor’s pit, RIA Novosti reported.

The crocodile was left vomiting for three hours after the incident but is thankfully now on the road to recovery (file picture)

Fyodor was rushed to a vet where he spent three hours vomiting, leading to fears he had suffered an internal rupture or even a fracture.

But thankfully the two-metre-long reptile was deemed to have escaped without major injury and is expected to have recovered by the weekend. ...

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/05 ... 70391.html

Now heres a big one.

Giant Crocodile Chases Boy As Panicked Onlookers Try To Help (VIDEO)

A behemoth of a crocodile was captured on tape chasing a young boy through Mexican waters as terrified onlookers attempted a rescue.

The video, first published by Noticaribe "not long ago," shows the young male, thought to be a tourist, fleeing for the shore in Sian Ka'an. Behind him, a crocodile gives chase. The videographer, Manuel Carrera, shot video from the Boca Paila bridge above.

Just as the crocodile closes in, one of the onlookers throws an object that distracts it long enough for the boy to make it to shore.

"Fortunately... the boy was saved because the crocodile is well fed and chased at a pace that allowed him to reach the shore," Carrera said, according to 9 News.

Watch the video above to see the terrifying action.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/1 ... weird-news

ramonmercado said:
Now heres a big one.

Giant Crocodile Chases Boy As Panicked Onlookers Try To Help (VIDEO)

A behemoth of a crocodile was captured on tape chasing a young boy through Mexican waters as terrified onlookers attempted a rescue.

The video, first published by Noticaribe "not long ago," shows the young male, thought to be a tourist, fleeing for the shore in Sian Ka'an. Behind him, a crocodile gives chase. The videographer, Manuel Carrera, shot video from the Boca Paila bridge above.

Just as the crocodile closes in, one of the onlookers throws an object that distracts it long enough for the boy to make it to shore.

"Fortunately... the boy was saved because the crocodile is well fed and chased at a pace that allowed him to reach the shore," Carrera said, according to 9 News.

Watch the video above to see the terrifying action.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/1 ... weird-news

Seen it, Mercy, scary to hell. And I have to wonder, it's their fault Signs are apparently everywhere with pictures. if they'e taken. They have a mum and dad (on mobiles). We're overpopulated. He's genetically thick. Croc hungry. Fine Next time I hear of a human swimming in croc waters and they go I'll know it's a dare that they lost. Discuss.

I

DIPHOB said:
lordmongrove said:

You originally said kill. And I recognise this clip. That is a large naïve, male cub learning the ropes. Earlier, in that programme, you will see his mother boldly leading it through the croc infested swamp and, as mentioned by the Narrator, who I believe was Fergal Keane, and I paraphrase, it was running them through the hazards of existence. Trust me, that was not a full grown, mature 'Bengal- ( An Indian Doctor friend from the Ranthambor area told me that 'Bengal'
' is only an English term for a tiger whose territory used to stretch far, far wider than that. The English shot them all. They call it' tiger.' And he said every native beast is in great fear of it. The sniff. A mere grunt is picked up. It lives up to the Blake legend).
Lord Mongrove, I appreciate your appreciation for reptiles and I apologise for the chip term and challenging your integrity. I massively appreciate your bold and brave derring do and approach to life what with you going places and personally checking stuff out, I really do.You live the dream rather than us wankers pouting and sneering from the armchair. And I congratulated you personally on a lecture once after an unconvention. You and Jan Bondeson were the highights for me. O I just think that your love gets in the way of accuracy sometimes and should be tempered. God, keep up the exploration. I'd love to join you soon. I retire from dealing with dangerous humans soon. A change is as good as a rest.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I've actually worked with exotic cats too, tigers, lions, cheetha and serval. I was refering not to the colour clip at the start but the black and white clip. This shows a small female crocodile driving off a much larger tiger.

lordmongrove said:
DIPHOB said:
lordmongrove said:

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I've actually worked with exotic cats too, tigers, lions, cheetha and serval. I was refering not to the colour clip at the start but the black and white clip. This shows a small female crocodile driving off a much larger tiger.

You deserve the vote of confidence. Like I say, I think these magnificent, apex operators in their own right have a wary respect for each other and will only face off in extreme circumstances. Interestingly,coincidentally, with almost Fortean-like timeliness if you like, there's a video of lions and a croc fighting posted yesterday on the Daily Mail website ( I don't normally read it. Honest! But it does seem to include some of wildlife's contemporary and spectacular events).

Strewth!

Tipsy Australian fights off crocodile with eye-poke

An Australian hunter says he has survived a crocodile attack - by poking the reptile in the eye. Stephen Moreen, 20, said he waded into water in the Northern Territory to retrieve a goose he had shot when the crocodile grabbed and pulled him under. When the hunter jabbed the 2m-long (6ft 6in) animal in the eye, it let him go.

The hunter's cousin then shot the reptile. Mr Moreen admitted he had been "a little bit tipsy" at the time. He said he drank some more beer to numb the pain from minor injuries as he waited for an ambulance.

"I have a scratch on my back, the rest (is) on my arm. He (the crocodile) ripped out a bit of skin and left me with two to three holes," he was quoted as saying by Australia's ABC broadcaster. ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-29292130

For crying out loud, IT'S A CROCODILE!

Sure, they have a right to live. But there is no shortage of the damn things, and they can and will eat people. So killing them is no great sin.

The American Alligator was, not so long ago, an endangered species. They were protected by law. Now, people are missing, pets vanish, these are not endangered creatures, they're endangering.

Compared to a crocodile, the alligator is fairly placid, preferring smaller prey-opossums, raccoons,lizards, cats and Yorkies- but in the right mood, and when hungry, they will eat pythons, white tail deer,other alligators, and YOU.

They will also adopt your yard(and swimming pool) if their dim, reptile minds decide to do that.

Relocate them to your barbecue.

(you good folk in the UK have no raccoons-often described as cats with thumbs-and the fecundity of them is mind-boggling. I used to be the benefactor of a small family of them-polite critters-and came to know them well. Well enough to realize that although only one came for supper each night, there were more of them all the time. Same thing with creatures like alligators and crocodiles(or squirrels-rats with better fashion sense) , they will overbreed. Beware!)

On a boat trip through one of the gorges in the N.T. the guide told us it was safe to swim with freshwater crocodiles as they would break their slender jaws if they tried to eat you. Don't think I would risk it though.
They also had traps set up in some areas to catch saltwater crocodiles. I was wondering how the freshwater ones wouldn't get caught.

krakenten said:
For crying out loud, IT'S A CROCODILE!

Sure, they have a right to live. But there is no shortage of the damn things, and they can and will eat people. So killing them is no great sin.

The American Alligator was, not so long ago, an endangered species. They were protected by law. Now, people are missing, pets vanish, these are not endangered creatures, they're endangering.

Compared to a crocodile, the alligator is fairly placid, preferring smaller prey-opossums, raccoons,lizards, cats and Yorkies- but in the right mood, and when hungry, they will eat pythons, white tail deer,other alligators, and YOU.

They will also adopt your yard(and swimming pool) if their dim, reptile minds decide to do that.

Relocate them to your barbecue.

(you good folk in the UK have no raccoons-often described as cats with thumbs-and the fecundity of them is mind-boggling. I used to be the benefactor of a small family of them-polite critters-and came to know them well. Well enough to realize that although only one came for supper each night, there were more of them all the time. Same thing with creatures like alligators and crocodiles(or squirrels-rats with better fashion sense) , they will overbreed. Beware!)

Raccoons are the scum of the Earth, they can wreck acres of corn or pumpkins in a night. They tear shingles off your roof, they carry diseases, they are vermin. Coyotes and black bears are also scum.

Indeed, the raccoon can be a pest.

The Native Americans called the the ''Little man of the Woods'', and looked upon the as a walking meatloaf.

y raccoons cae one sunny day, in the for of a bedraggled beast, who stood on the fence and looked in at us with soulful eyes. I fed her some fruit, and she stood by the fence with her paws clasped, as though giving thanks.

After that, she got the dog food the greyhounds left behind, and assorted treats-the beast loved cheap cookies.

One night, I put a tin cup of ilk on the fence, beside the cookies. Raccoons wet their food by instinct-so I called y wife to see our friend dine. She was convinced that I had somehow taught the 'coon a trick.

We soon realized that there were several raccoons, but only one came each night. I think they had a roster tacked to the back of the fence. There was one bold boar 'coon, who would take the cookies out of my hand.

Some crap-heel called animal control, and good-bye woodland friends. I still miss them.

Yes, they're pests. But I found them quite likeable, rather like squirrels who become tame.

Not suitable for housepets, unless you get them very young and hand rear them, and alas, they will overbreed-oh, lawdamassey, will they ever!

My soft spot remains.

ramonmercado said:
Again. This time the victim deserves a Darwin award.

Australia man snatched in crocodile attack feared dead
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23833027

File picture of an estuarine crocodile, better known as the saltwater or saltie, in the Adelaide river near Darwin in Australia's Northern Territory

Australia's Northern Territory is known for being infested with saltwater crocodiles which, despite their name, also swim in rivers

A man is believed to have been killed by a crocodile in Australia's Northern Territory while swimming in a river during a birthday party.

Police say he ignored signs to stay out of the water at a popular camping ground at Mary River, 65 miles (100km) from Darwin, the territory's capital.

The river has one of the highest crocodile populations in the area.

Onlookers watched in horror as the victim was suddenly attacked.

He was last seen in the crocodile's powerful jaws, reports the BBC's Phil Mercer in Sydney. Police are searching for him.

The victim and another man had gone swimming across the river, and were swimming back when the crocodile attacked, police say.

"Several of the group in the party witnessed the male being taken in the jaws of the croc for a period of time, and then he was out of sight," Senior Sergeant Geoff Bahnert is quoted as saying by the AP news agency.

"The Mary River is known worldwide to have the greatest saturation of adult saltwater crocodiles in the world. You don't swim in the Mary River," he added.

Saltwater crocodiles can grow up 7m (23ft) long and weigh more than a tonne. They are a common feature of Australia's tropical north.

Fella taking a dip in Australian waters, attacked/eaten by wild animal known to be active in said waters... Darwin Award... This all reminds me of something else.

Perhaps all crocs and gators should just be culled.

:roll:

McAvennie_ said:
ramonmercado said:

File picture of an estuarine crocodile, better known as the saltwater or saltie, in the Adelaide river near Darwin in Australia's Northern Territory

Australia's Northern Territory is known for being infested with saltwater crocodiles which, despite their name, also swim in rivers

A man is believed to have been killed by a crocodile in Australia's Northern Territory while swimming in a river during a birthday party.

Police say he ignored signs to stay out of the water at a popular camping ground at Mary River, 65 miles (100km) from Darwin, the territory's capital.

He was last seen in the crocodile's powerful jaws, reports the BBC's Phil Mercer in Sydney. Police are searching for him.

The victim and another man had gone swimming across the river, and were swimming back when the crocodile attacked, police say.

"Several of the group in the party witnessed the male being taken in the jaws of the croc for a period of time, and then he was out of sight," Senior Sergeant Geoff Bahnert is quoted as saying by the AP news agency.

"The Mary River is known worldwide to have the greatest saturation of adult saltwater crocodiles in the world. You don't swim in the Mary River," he added.

Saltwater crocodiles can grow up 7m (23ft) long and weigh more than a tonne. They are a common feature of Australia's tropical north.

Fella taking a dip in Australian waters, attacked/eaten by wild animal known to be active in said waters... Darwin Award... This all reminds me of something else.

Perhaps you should seek treatment for your misanthropy.

ramonmercado said:
McAvennie_ said:
ramonmercado said:

Bizarre retort that doesn't tackle the general hypocrisy of your rant on the shark thread and accusation that I was 'a nasty piece of work' for mentioning Darwin Awards in relation to someone's death by shark...

But, then I guess that is how a 'nasty piece of work' and 'misanthrope' would interpret the comments.

McAvennie_ said:
ramonmercado said:
McAvennie_ said:
ramonmercado said:

Bizarre retort that doesn't tackle the general hypocrisy of your rant on the shark thread and accusation that I was 'a nasty piece of work' for mentioning Darwin Awards in relation to someone's death by shark...

But, then I guess that is how a 'nasty piece of work' and 'misanthrope' would interpret the comments.

You reallY should let things go.

Don.t obsess on comments made last week.

You.re just proving my point.

Bit different going into croc infested waters, No the same as swimming off Fremantle South Beach.

I,m in Budapest at the moment. Getting dental implants. I might get sharp ones and stop off in France on the waz back, have you for dinner.

I,ll bring the chianti and fava beans.

V V

Ramon

Ah, if only I had known the statute of limitations on highlighting hypocrisy was one week... :roll:

McAvennie_ said:
Ah, if only I had known the statute of limitations on highlighting hypocrisy was one week... :roll:

Play a relaxation CD.

Any even half intelligent person should be able to see the difference between crocodile infested waters and taking a dip off of a city beach.

ramonmercado said:
McAvennie_ said:

Play a relaxation CD.

Any even half intelligent person should be able to see the difference between crocodile infested waters and taking a dip off of a city beach.

That's not really the point though.

You made your strong statement followed by a big song and dance about me making a comment relating to the Darwin Awards on a thread about someone being eaten by a shark.

ramonmercado said:
McAvennie_ said:
ramonmercado said:
But you seem to think that anyone who swims in the sea off Australia deserves it if they get eaten by a shark.

I wouldn't say deserve, but they are certainly making tentative enquiries about their eligibility for a Darwin Award.

You are a nasty piece of work.

The crux of your argument seemingly being...

ramonmercado said:
Yeah, its really appropriate to make lighthearted comments about people being eaten by sharks.

Yet, a week later on another thread I notice this comment from yourself regarding a man eaten by a crocodile.

ramonmercado said:

But, for me to point out the evident hypocrisy is me being a 'misanthrope' to add to the 'nasty piece of work' in the list of names and weird passive/aggressive posts I've received from you. Added to the recent number of irrelevant inclusions of Scotland in your arguments and a light-hearted, I would presume, but nonetheless bizarre threat to eat me, I find there is some kind of weird trolling thing going on and aside from that, I'm sure nobody else wants to read blah blah blah pages of childish internet feuds - so that is that for me.

Where was that thread again about this site becoming a more unfriendly place to visit...?

You really should chill out.

You suggested that anyone who takes a dip in the seas off even city beaches in Australia is a candidate for a Darwin Award.

Theres a hell of a difference between that and suggesting that someone who enters crocodile infested waters is a Darwin candidate.

Heres what 1 I said and 2 your response,

1. But you seem to think that anyone who swims in the sea off Australia deserves it if they get eaten by a shark.

2. I wouldn't say deserve, but they are certainly making tentative enquiries about their eligibility for a Darwin Award.

You don,t see the difference between a kid taking a dip off a city beach being eaten by a shark and an adult fooliishly entering waters he knows to be croc infested.

Thats what makes you a nasty piece of work,

You,re the one who is making this place unfriendly.

You deliberately chose to continue a feud across separate threads.

I found out that I have to have more teeth extracted. That means more (sharp) implants. Looking forward to having you for dinner.

Gentlemen...Being an Aussie and some one who's lived both in the bush and on the seaboard, I can assure you that things will get you if you do not consider the Nature Of The Beast. Learn a bit about the buggers, do not anthropomorphise them, realise that the majority of reptiles (snakes, Perenti, Salties) and insects (ticks, spiders, Ants) love a nice warm night and are quite active after lights out, so don't camp near (500metres) creeks or rivers or under trees, especially do not camp or fall asleep on beaches.
Size is no indicator of lethality with a small jellyfish (Irukandji) in our Northern waters. This fella is the size of your thumbnail at maturity and is deadly (2 known deaths so far).
Yeah, just about everything will kill you over here, including some of our trees (Dendrocnide Genus) have killed a horse or two. As for those 3 fellas who went crabbing in the mangroves...silly buggers, eh.
P.S. we have BIG cats in the bush, photo to follow, along with an ant, and yeah, that's a bee
IMG_9996.jpg
P1040659.jpg
in his gob.

Welcome to the board Mungoman. Are you sure thats a cat print? I only ask because it seems to have left an indentation in the sand with it's tail, something that wouldn't happen with a cat.

Welcome to the board Mungoman. Are you sure thats a cat print? I only ask because it seems to have left an indentation in the sand with it's tail, something that wouldn't happen with a cat.

Childish, I know, but every time I read this thread title I unconsciously compose the imagine of a chain-smoking croc, lit only by the eerie glow of a computer monitor, making late-night phone calls with a pair of binoculars close at claw.

G'day David, thanks for the greetings, there's a bit of a tale or two to this photo. I was out near a place called Broken Hill, on Lake Mungo, which is part of the Willandra Lakes Region, which 50 - 60,000 years ago was a series of fresh water lakes, with some of the earliest known human occupation in Australia. We have skeletal evidence of humanity that had significant burial practices and rituals, with their skeletal remains being of the Gracile type, as well as the Robust Type out there. A phenomenal and humbling experience, if your into that sort of thing, with evidence strewn around of early humanities stone industry, along with some of Australias mega fauna. A stunning place to visit (not in Summer though) if your on your way down here to visit the Antipodies, 4 star accomodation and don't forget your camera.

Anyway, The imprints either side of the cats paw marks (no claw marks and the lens cap is 58 cm -2 1/4") are a Kangaroos paw prints that the cat was chasing at the time (not a tail and top right of the photo is my foot print, size9) and they were both going flat chat.
I showed the photo to a couple of Rangers (both Koorie Fellas) and they looked at it for about 5 seconds without saying anything, then looked at each other and both said...S*&t!! at the same time. I reckon that they knew it wasn't a dingo or wild dog. They asked me where the whereabouts it was, so I told 'em and then asked them what were they going to do, thinking that they'd put down some baits and sort it out that way, "no mate, we'll get some road kill and our .243's, take some tucker and water, and wait. Unfortunately we'd already spent a week out there so we never found out what happened....

As you know, we don't have large Native cats here (officially), but every third or fourth country person has a tale about "That time I saw this cat, and I s*&t you not, it was bigger than a dishlicker (greyhound)".

I've had one experience as a 14 year old where I was out rabbiting, about an hour before sunset, and thought I saw my Dad's Labrador skulking up a gully, but It's tail was held out horizontally to the ground like a fox, and that tail was as long as it's body. Anyway, I looked through the scope and noticed that it was the oddest looking dog I'd ever seen, thick front legs and a short muzzle. I only had a .22 at the time, and Mrs Mungoman didn't raise stupid kids, so I just watched it climb up the gully to the scrub where it disappeared.

Every now and again we'd here strange sounds that weren't foxes screaming or koalas for that matter and now I look back and think on, I reckon it might have been that gully cat I saw.

Last edited:
Welcome, Mungoman! Your account should be copied-and-pasted into the 'It happened to me' thread. It's a good read.

Back