• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Crimes

Babysitter Sets Fire To Home Of 'Disrespectful' Kids: Cops

A Texas babysitter was arrested after setting fire to the house of children she said “lacked respect.”

Martha Dreher, 57, has pleaded not guilty to arson charges, ABC reported Saturday. The house fire occurred on August 9 at an Austin home belong to Glenn Williams.

Dreher had been babysitting Williams’ four children -- two preteen girls and 5-year-old twin boys -- for several months, KVUE reports. On the night of August 9, the daughters were on vacation with their father, and Dreher was watching the two boys at their mother’s house, according to the American-Statesman.

The babysitter told police that she went to Williams’ residence at about 9 p.m. to get some popcorn. Police say that security cameras show that the fire started about 25 minutes after she got there, and that the blaze was escalating as the babysitter drove away.

Dreher allegedly told cops she “never saw a fire.”

Williams told KVUE that his teenage son noticed the fire when he returned home that night, and that whoever set it had closed the doors of the girls’ bedrooms as if to contain the fire to those rooms. ...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/2 ... 09613.html

I bet he picked the futon that was just right.

HOT HEADS

USA: The person who broke into an off-the-grid cabin in remote western Maine didn’t get away with money, jewellery, or other valuables. Police say the thief took a pair of bear heads.

Franklin County Sheriff Scott Nichols says a Waterboro family reported last week that someone had broken into their cabin in secluded Alder Stream Township sometime over the summer.

In addition to the stuffed bear heads, the thief also made off with two lawn chairs and three flashlights. The sheriff says the cabin’s futons appear to have been slept in.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/world/quir ... 83663.html

OneWingedBird said:
He had to steal the head because he only had the right to bear arms. :lol:

I wear short-sleeved shirts because I have the 'right to bare arms'. :)

Mythopoeika said:
OneWingedBird said:

I wear a long-sleeved shirt with one sleeve always rolled up because I want 'to bare right arms'.

davidplankton said:
Mythopoeika said:
OneWingedBird said:

I wear a long-sleeved shirt with one sleeve always rolled up because I want 'to bare right arms'.

I am very selective when giving out guns at the zoo. I arm the right bear.

ramonmercado said:
More details.

Chess murder: Lodger admits to butchering landlord as victim's lung removed during horrific killing
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/ ... 10376.html

A man who has admitted murdering his landlord in a row over a chess match has told gardai he then ate his victim's heart.

Last night a post-mortem examination on the body of journalist and researcher Tom O'Gorman (39) discovered that one of the victim's lungs had been removed in the horrific attack.

Gardai made the gruesome discovery at Mr O'Gorman's home in Beechpark Avenue, Castleknock, Dublin, when the suspect – Italian Saverio Bellante (34) – phoned the emergency services at around 12.50am yesterday. ...

It is understood Mr Bellante, who was described as being "calm", told gardai that he had killed another man. An operator kept him on the line as emergency personnel rushed to the scene.

When officers arrived, they found Mr O'Gorman's badly mutilated body in a pool of blood. ...

Man accused of Castleknock murder sent forward for trial

An Italian man accused of murdering his landlord in Castleknock in Dublin has been sent forward for trial before the Central Criminal Court.

Researcher and former journalist Tom O'Gorman was stabbed to death at his home at Beech Park Avenue in January. His body was found on January 12.

His lodger Saverio Bellante was charged with his murder and was served with a book of evidence during a brief court appearance this morning.

He was admitted to the Central Mental Hospital for treatment shortly afterwards and was excused from several scheduled court appearances.

This morning, the 34-year-old was brought before Judge Alan Mitchell at Cloverhill DC where he was handed a book of evidence by Detective Garda Patrick Traynor. ...

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingne ... 40438.html

As you sow, sow hall ye reap.

USA: A woman called Ms Crispi accused of starting a fire in her ex-boyfriend’s house with a pound of bacon is to stand trial on arson charges.

Cameo Crispi, 32, allegedly called and texted her old flame repeatedly from his home in Utah where she left the bacon over a lit burner, reports the Metro.

The man, who wasn’t at his house, called police to report the harassment and when officers arrived they saw smoke coming out of the front door.

“I asked to come in and observed a wood stove left open with a fire burning inside and hot coals on the floor around the stove,” an officer noted in his report.

“I observed the burner to be on the setting ‘high’ and the bacon to be severely burned and smoking badly.”

Documents say Crispi’s blood alcohol level was four times the legal limit. She is due back in court in October.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/world/quir ... 84332.html

They should have done him for theft of oxygen too...

A man has admitted making hoax phone calls to eight families telling them their child had died.

Ashley Dodd, 28, rang his victims claiming to be a doctor at the George Eliot Hospital in Nuneaton, Leamington Magistrates' Court heard.

Dodd, of Hayes Lane, Exhall, Warwickshire chose his victims at random after he had been binge-drinking on 6 and 7 June, the court was told.

He admitted eight offences under the Malicious Communications Act.

Dodd was granted unconditional bail and is due be sentenced on 23 September.

He told the court he was "messing around" while drinking, but the court heard his actions caused families "shock and devastation".
'Ashamed and disgusted'

Some families took several hours to trace their children to discover they were well, the court heard.

Speaking after the hearing, Dodd, an unemployed warehouse worker, apologised to the families involved and said he was "totally ashamed and disgusted" by his actions.

The court heard he had suffered problems with alcoholism and had been drinking a combination of beer and spirits on 6 June.

Dodd said he had planned to make a series of nuisance calls before deciding to go further.

He said he phoned families, posing as the fictitious Dr Peter Stevens, informing them that their child had died.

Det Con Michelle Russell, from Warwickshire Police, said the calls were "completely false and very distressing" and that she hoped the result of the hearing would help families "come to terms with what must have been a very emotional experience".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-co ... e-29015538

A man roaring "God Save the Queen" in Cork told a garda, "Ye arrest me because I am gay and Protestant and from Tipperary."

Paul Browne of St James’s Place, Ballyhooley Rd, Cork, pleaded guilty yesterday at Cork District Court to being drunk and a source of danger and being threatening, insulting or abusive at the time. Garda Lorraine O’Donovan encountered Browne, aged 40, at 4am on September 26, 2013, standing out in front of a Country Clean refuse collection lorry on Washington St west. He would not get out of the way, despite the driver’s attempt to reverse and get around him.

Browne also roared: “God Save the Queen.”

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/ma ... 85483.html

An Indiana couple accused of holding a woman captive for two months, often locking her in a small wooden cage, was charged with rape, criminal confinement, kidnapping and other felonies in a case one officer likened to "modernised slavery." Ricky Roy House Jr, 37, and his girlfriend, Kendra Tooley, 44, were formally charged during a hearing in Posey Circuit Court in Mount Vernon, where a judge appointed public defenders for the pair and entered not guilty pleas on their behalf.

Police arrested the couple at their mobile home in rural southwestern Indiana about six hours after Tooley’s ex-husband, who was visiting the couple, freed the 30-year-old woman, whose relatives had reported her missing on July 12. He took the victim to his Evansville apartment, where she called her mother and police.

The Evansville woman’s ordeal began on July 9 when House, an acquaintance, saw her walking and picked her up. She agreed to go to the home he shared with Tooley in Stewartsville, about 25 miles northwest of Evansville, according to a police affidavit. But when the woman got up to leave, House used chloroform to knock her unconscious, the affidavit states, and she awoke to find herself bound to a bed in the trailer and her clothing cut off. ...

http://www.irishexaminer.com/world/coup ... 85603.html

COPS: NY MAN HID DRUGS IN ANTI-DRUG STUFFED ANIMAL

USA: Police say they have arrested a 22-year-old New York man after he was found with marijuana, cocaine, and LSD hidden inside a stuffed animal dressed in an anti-drug T-shirt.

Troopers say Gregory Bolongnese, of Plattsburgh, was arrested at the bus station in his hometown near the Canadian border. They say they found two grams of marijuana, about a half-gram of cocaine and LSD inside a stuffed lion doll wearing a Dare shirt.

Dare stands for Drug Abuse Resistance Education, a programme that aims to educate young people about staying away from drugs, gangs, and violence.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/world/quir ... 86206.html

Man who 'killed girlfriend's dog and fed it to her' arrested

A man who allegedly cooked his girlfriend’s dog and fed it to her before returning the pet’s dismembered paws has been arrested in California.

Ryan Eddy Watenpaugh, 34, denies killing the woman’s Pomeranian, called Bear, and claimed the incident was a joke but could not explain where the missing dog was.

She had called the police previously reporting domestic violence and stalking, saying she fled her apartment in Redding when Watenpaugh assaulted her on 4 August and found him and Bear gone when she returned.

In the first week of September, the couple briefly reconciled and Watenpaugh cooked his girlfriend a meal containing meat.

Days afterwards, on 7 September, he texted her asking how her dog tasted, claiming it was in the meal, Redding Police Department said. ...
- See more at: http://www.independent.ie/world-news/am ... oEq3j.dpuf

Man wearing Pikachu hat and schoolbag tackled by Secret Service after jumping White House fence

The event was documented live on social media by bystanders. (Photo: Twitter/@cwgile)

A man wearing a Pikachu hat and a stuffed Pikachu bag was arrested after jumping the fence of the White House and walking on the lawn.

The man, wearing the Pokemon fan gear, jumped the north lawn fence at the residence on the afternoon of September 11.

The man was heading in the direction of the White House before he was tackled to the ground by a member of the Secret Service.

The event was documented live on social media by bystanders.

- See more at: http://www.independent.ie/world-news/am ... LqPqw.dpuf

Oh dear. Now anyone with pikachu gear will be viewed with suspicion.
*eyes pokemon collection worriedly*

Yeah, they tend to take these things pretty seriously. They do try to keep them a bit quiet, through. I suppose there was no helping it this time...

Garry Lockhart 'killed son in reincarnation bid'

A man has told a court he killed his son due to his belief in reincarnation after also killing his wife.
The court heard Garry Lockhart admit drunkenly strangling his wife Janet and suffocating two-year-old Michael at their home in Bonnyrigg in December.

The 33-year-old said he killed his son and planned to kill himself so the three could be together again. [Yeah, right... :roll: ]
The funeral director offered a guilty plea to murdering his wife and the culpable homicide of his son.
However this plea, made on the grounds of diminished responsibility, was rejected by the crown and the two murder charges remain.

During his trial at the High Court in Edinburgh, Lockhart was asked by his defence solicitor advocate Brian Gilfedder if he accepted murdering 29-year-old Janet and killing Michael, to which he replied "yes".

He agreed that he had "snapped" during a row with his wife after returning home drunk in the early hours of 28 December.
When asked what went through his mind when he realised Mrs Lockhart was dead, he said: "I could not believe it had happened. I didn't believe it was real.
"I sat for a while and during that time I thought of getting back with Janet.

"Because of the way I was thinking, the only way this issue could be resolved was for Michael and I and Janet to come back together as a family unit."

When asked by My Gilfedder if he was talking about reincarnation, he replied: "Yes."
"I hoped if I had a successful suicide attempt I would be with Michael and Janet," he said.
"The thought process at the time was wrong. I don't know what kind of life I would have had, but I would still be living."

When asked by his solicitor if he would have harmed Michael if he had not killed Janet, he replied: "No."

In response to further questioning from advocate depute Iain McSporran, Garry Lockhart continued: "I should not have killed Michael and Michael would be here just now and be brought up by his grandparents.
"My thought process at the time was for us to be together. It is different now. I should not have killed Michael."

Asked to clarify his beliefs in reincarnation and the afterlife, Garry Lockhart described it as "an improved level of existence" and said: "You can come back a number of times and eventually you will end up in heaven."

The trial before Lady Wise continues.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-e ... e-29229623

Nutty as a fruitcake. :madeyes:

Jorge Perez Arrested After Washing Hair With Mayo In Public Fountain
An Oklahoma City man was arrested Tuesday after police say they caught him washing his hair with mayonnaise in a public fountain. Several passersby complained about a man causing a disturbance at a spot known as the Bricktown fountain, KFOR.com reports. An officer said Jorge Arturo Perez, 23, was soaking wet and breathing heavily, according to NewsOK.com.

Perez allegedly told police that he was bathing and was using mayonnaise as shampoo, TulsaWorld.com reports. ...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/1 ... 38794.html

You hear of this type of thjing often enough but the volume of mail involved in this is extraordinary.

A New York postman hoarded as many as 40,000 pieces of undelivered mail in his home, car and work locker over nine years, prosecutors have said. Joseph Brucato, 67, was arrested on Wednesday after a supervisor saw undelivered post in his personal car, where it was forbidden by policy. Postal investigators subsequently found 2,500lb (1.1 tonnes) of mail dated as far back as 2005.

Mr Brucato's lawyer said in court his client suffered from depression. But the lawyer did not give a reason why Mr Brucato had allegedly taken the letters.

As a condition of his release pending a court hearing, Mr Brucato was ordered to "abstain from excessive alcohol consumption". ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-29387236

Must have been a lot of fillet steak.

MEATY TROUSERS

USA: A New York supermarket employee has been accused of leaving the store with $1,200 (€949) worth of meat hidden in his trousers.

State police say Gregory Rodriguez, of Ossining, is charged with fourth-degree grand larceny. Rodriguez works at the A&P in Croton-on-Hudson. Police were called about the theft and Rodriguez was arrested shortly afterwards.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/world/quir ... 89709.html

Maybe it was that stuff that is allegedly hand massaged.... :sceptic:

I'm going to get my hair and beard close cropped, number 3 I reckon, so hopefully no problems.

The victim of a scissors assault in a Dublin barber shop said he returned to work with his new haircut and all his colleagues were laughing at him. Last Thursday, Hawmand Hussein (32) admitted to assaulting Asim Paracha (28) after holding a cut-throat blade to his neck in a Blanchardstown hairdressers last February.

Judge David McHugh imposed a three-month sentence suspended for six months but was left without a conviction.

Mr Paracha told the Herald that he first visited the barber last January and returned to his office afterwards. "When I went to work my colleagues and my boss were laughing at me and asked what had happened to my hair. Then when I looked in the mirror and saw my hair, it was large in some parts and small in others," said Mr Paracha, who is originally from Pakistan.

It was a few days before he could return to have his hair rectified because of work commitments. "I was busy with work and went back a few days later. I went to the shop and was sitting there in the chair and I said 'look this happened can you make this proper?' He [Mr Hussein] asked me which barber I had gone to and I said 'Excuse me this was you'," explained Mr Paracha. It was at this point that an argument broke out in the barbers, he said.

Blanchardstown District Court heard that here was an argument and Mr Hussein became irate, holding a cut-throat blade to the victim's neck in a threatening manner. The court also heard Mr Hussein took a pair of scissors from a shelf and held it up against Mr Paracha's throat. ...

- See more at: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/co ... PZnm3.dpuf

Judge David McHugh imposed a three-month sentence suspended for six months but was left without a conviction.

:?:

Frideswide said:

:?:

I presume that the matter will be revisited in 6 months time and if Sweeny Todd hasn't cut any throats in the interim the charge will be dismissed under the Probation Act.

Thank you - had no idea that was possible. It's an education this place :)

Polish man was hit with fish in row over music

A specimen pollock was used to strike a Polish man in the head during a full-scale row over the relative merits of Irish and Polish dance music.

Connie Foley, aged 33, who was reeled in for questioning shortly after the violent escapade, pleaded guilty at Cork Circuit Criminal Court to a charge of assault causing harm to Marcin Mis at the victim’s flat in Youghal, Co Cork. Garda Seán Kilgrew said Mr Mis was also struck with a full bottle of wine, as well as with the fish.

Garda Kilgrew said Mr Mis was at home in his flat on South Main St, Youghal, when Foley and two women called at about 2am on July 25, 2013. All four drank together until a row started over whether Polish or Irish dance music was best.

“He was struck on the head with a full bottle of wine,” Garda Kilgrew said.

However, it later turned out the injured party was also struck with the pollock. ..

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/po ... 90247.html

Did he polish off the bottle of wine?

A "specimen" pollock. What, you just have it around in case some other fish randomly turn up and you want to compare them to the type series?

And was it alive or dead at the point of being used as a weopon, and what about now?

Won't someone please think of the pollock!?!?!?!?! :shock:

Back