• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Most Haunted Places In Your Home Town

skinny

Nigh
What are the most haunted areas of your village?

There are three I know of in Adelaide.

1. The Goodwood Orphanage, which I stayed in on a school trip in 1982. One of the teachers threw up a cardboard cutout of a figure in the arch of the belltower with a lamp behind it after dark and shreiked himself to ecstacy for our benefit. Anyway, it's purported to be haunted by the souls of the dear departed parentless of yore.
2. Greenhill Rd / Hallet Rd Intersection - a recent urban myth of the haunted walkway between the houses at night
3. The old Adelaide Gaol - scene of the last hanging in Australia ~ a woman (Elizabeth Woolcock) was one of the last.

Here's a video with apt spooky toons.

Last edited:
Whoah. CT, what's your take on the alleged Mackenzie Poltergeist?

Whoah. CT, what's your take on the alleged Mackenzie Poltergeist?

I think it's good for tourism. I'm not really a ghost head and I'm more inclined to think the history, freaky monuments, and urban legends combine to spook people who visit. That said, I wouldn't go there at night, and if anywhere is haunted, it is probably this place.

Every building I've ever been inside in downtown San Antonio is haunted. Every single one. Some of them are haunted twice. And I used to live downtown, and temped a lot, and been native guide to a lot of visitors staying in a lot of hotels, and been to a few conferences, so I've been in a fair percentage of them.

My favorite will always be the one in the ladies' room who threw toilet paper rolls at people, right across the street from the Alamo chapel.

Every building I've ever been inside in downtown San Antonio is haunted. Every single one. Some of them are haunted twice. And I used to live downtown, and temped a lot, and been native guide to a lot of visitors staying in a lot of hotels, and been to a few conferences, so I've been in a fair percentage of them.

My favorite will always be the one in the ladies' room who threw toilet paper rolls at people, right across the street from the Alamo chapel.

I'm not surprised!

A friend of ours managed the gift shop at the Alamo and said the place was as haunted as anything, too.

funeral home 4.jpg

In Victoria, Texas, there are a lot of hauntings to choose from (seriously, the place is lousy with ghosts - I think it's the humidity) but this former funeral home (pictured above) was rather special. It had such a creepy vibe that we'd cross the street not to walk near it. There were lots of stories of strange happenings, unexplained lights and such, but no speculation of who the haunters might be. One year, the local high school drama club used this building as their halloween haunted house, but the actors were about as spooked as a patrons. They said they saw a small child wandering in one particular corridor before disappearing into thin air. I went through it and the underlying dark vibe of the place was far more scary than the actors jumping out of the doorways. A family friend who was raised in that house said her grandfather who'd built it had been a very sinister man....

It's since been restored and converted into office space, which no one will rent for long.

Also in Victoria, there is Creepy Hollow, which I've written about on my blog:
http://victoriaphantasmagoria.blogspot.com/2013/06/the-legend-of-creepy-hollow.html

My other town, New Braunfels, Texas, is not anywhere near as creepy, but there is the Faust Hotel
http://www.fausthotel.com/

The only ghost I know of for sure is a girl looking for her cat, but the atmosphere in the place is downright icky.
The corridors make me want to run out of the place without looking at it too hard, as if I'm going to see something nasty ala The Shining.

Oh, and just down the road, in Seguin, is Texas Lutheran University, which has a music theater that's notoriously haunted by (again) a little girl. The story goes that she wants to play hide and seek, which sounds benign enough, but everyone I've known who attended school there felt the presence to be very, very negative, almost as if it was something just pretending to be a little girl. They say the dorms aren't terribly comforting, either...

Unaware of any haunted buildings in my little Alabama town of 10,000 or so.
In the nearby countryside we have the obligatory "crybaby hollow" that every community seems to have one of.
Also there is "Indian Hollow" in nearby Bankhead National Forest. Said to be haunted by a Native American Spirit.
Been at both places many times, never experienced anything paranormal myself.

MurderApartmentOrbs.JPG
Lookit what I found.
Over on the places that inspire fear thread:
http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/places-that-inspire-fear.12159/page-2
I posted a while back:
There have also been incidents where I became very afraid of a place for no apparent reason. One night, my husband and I were taking a walk downtown, where many of the businesses have apartments or studios on the upper floors. It was a pleasant night, and we were walking along chatting when suddenly we both felt overcome by fear. We could barely walk further, it was almost like the fear had made a force field around us. We shuffled forward a ways and saw that one of the doors leading upstairs was standing open. We could see a dark-painted hallway with a narrow flight of stairs and a light bulb burning at the top. I felt flooded with terror and had the thought that murder was at the top of the stairs. My husband grabbed my hand and pulled me across the street because there was no way either of us could step in front of that doorway. The fear wouldn't allow it.

The location of that apartment with the menacing stairway was catty-cornered to the abandoned funeral home mentioned in my previous post. Well, I was going through my files the other night and discovered a photo of the backstairs of that apartment.There wasn't much to see from the front, without the spooky stairway on view, but the backstairs showed promise. When taking this photo, the funeral home was just behind me and to the left.

What's the point of this? The orbs, man! Look at the orbs! Yes, I know, the dreaded, ominpresent orbs, but still...I counted at least 16 of them. It's gotta count for something, right?

(I've lightened the photo slightly to showcase the orbs)

One of the most haunted places in my city was were I grew up. The house is now torn down, but neighbors I asked said that long after we had moved out, nobody could live in the house for long. Doors slamming, water turning on and off by itself. Loud footsteps on the stairs. The fridge opening and closing by its self, as well as the toilet. People were afraid to live there. Finally, the landowners decided to tear it down.

Pleasley Mills is also another area thats developed a spooky reputation. I once visited the Mills (in day light) and experienced an oddness whilst using the stairs.
http://www.paranormaltours.com/site_in_detail.php?siteid=ple28

The TV show Most Haunted visited it once, an episode that was quickly forgotten....

Theres also a tree nearby that its claimed someone was hung from. There have been sightings of a hooded figure there.

Then there's a ruined cottage deep within the surrounding woods thats apparently haunted by its owner - an old lady in white.

Last edited by a moderator:
The office I work in is based in a house on the old Crichton Asylum complex in Dumfries. It's not part of the actual asylum but the house that one of the higher ups lived in. Supposedly the asylum complex is pretty haunted and the house we're based in has its' own share of supposed ghostly happenings. Several of my colleagues refuse to upstairs to the bathroom at night on their own. I've heard footsteps on the stairs when no one is there and the occasional feeling of someone watching me at my desk from the bottom of the stairs but it's nothing "bad" or intimidating. I should point out that despite being called an "Asylum" (and it absolutely was) the buildings are rather lovely and set in manicured grounds. It even has it's own church, so there's nothing "American Horror Story" about the location.

Attachments

• church.jpg
    church.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 17
Being a pretty historic city, Norwich has its fair share of run-of-the-mill ghosts haunting the castle, cathedral, and various ancient pubs. More interesting to me is a giant rat entity with huge teeth and foul breath which apparently prowls the railway station.

Sadly, I can't find any provenance for the tale or any first hand accounts of the rat thing. When I worked, I often arrived at the train station after dark and never saw anything spooky.

The office I work in is based in a house on the old Crichton Asylum complex in Dumfries. ...I should point out that despite being called an "Asylum" (and it absolutely was) the buildings are rather lovely and set in manicured grounds. It even has it's own church, so there's nothing "American Horror Story" about the location.

I love The Crichton - It's one of my favourite places in Scotland. The main 1839 asylum building, Crichton Hall, is stunning inside. It's suffered little in the way of unsympathetic modernisations, and it's still full of beautiful antique furniture.
The crypt of the church was used as a body storage/viewing mortuary, and the mortuary pathology department was in what is now the kitchen/dining area of the hotel.
Easterbrook hall is where ECT and lobotomies were performed, and it contains a now disused pool in which the child of a staff member drowned.
However, I've never felt anything untoward in any of the many buildings.

Being a pretty historic city, Norwich has its fair share of run-of-the-mill ghosts haunting the castle, cathedral, and various ancient pubs. More interesting to me is a giant rat entity with huge teeth and foul breath which apparently prowls the railway station.

Sadly, I can't find any provenance for the tale or any first hand accounts of the rat thing. When I worked, I often arrived at the train station after dark and never saw anything spooky.

Though I've never been to the UK, some impression of Norwich being a place of unusual happenings had filtered down to me in childhood - possibly because of the version of "hey diddle diddle" that mentions the man in the moon visiting Norwich.

Some of the postings on this board seem to confirm that impression! :)

Denton Manor, apparently! I can see it from from my window....

Denton Manor; its dark history, and use during WWII.
By Geoffrey Ellis

In many villages the manor house stands next to the church: in more pious days with frequent obligatory services, this was probably for the convenience of the local lord. But many squires whose lifestyle was the envy of the villagers, even if the bane of the vicar, must have found the proximity unsettling. The morning clamour of bells 20 yards from the bedroom window must have vibrated cords of conscience in the heart of many a gentleman bleary from a night of liquor or lechery. However, historically Denton Manor near Newhaven in Sussex was a manor in name only, within the manorial district of Bishopstone, Sussex....

http://www.ournewhaven.org.uk/page_id__1822.aspx

For the past decade or so, the popularity of haunted places has, for me, really muddled the issue in the U.S. Childhood tales passed by word of mouth were about this old mansion or that old school, or even spots where something only used to be. Now top results at pages where you can look for "Haunted Sites By State" are often restaurants and B&B's. No doubt that these enterprises are in nice old buildings, but I can't help feeling that some of the haints have the taint of marketing

I lived locally to High Wycombe, home of the West Wycombe Caves and the Hellfire Club (featured on Most Haunted and these boards... That one takes the cake.

There are a lot of road ghosts and legends of people feeling a presence on the back of their motorbikes around the creepy lanes of the area - certain roads that I would actively avoid at night.

The village I grew up in was used in many of the Hammer Horror TV series episodes and was the home of John Hampden. There are tales of a phantom coach horse riding up the glade to Hampden House. Again I always drove a little nervously past there at night.

I lived locally to High Wycombe, home of the West Wycombe Caves and the Hellfire Club (featured on Most Haunted and these boards... That one takes the cake.

There are a lot of road ghosts and legends of people feeling a presence on the back of their motorbikes around the creepy lanes of the area - certain roads that I would actively avoid at night.

The village I grew up in was used in many of the Hammer Horror TV series episodes and was the home of John Hampden. There are tales of a phantom coach horse riding up the glade to Hampden House. Again I always drove a little nervously past there at night.

I bet that area is a ghost hunters wet dream, although it sounds like a place that requires a few shots of whiskey before investigations begin. :drink:

:)

The village I grew up in is right out of a traditional creepy British village textbook. Remote church, only two roads in and out, both through deep forest, historic legends, deer calling like shrieking victims in the night. I grew adept at driving in and out at night without using my rear mirror or shifting my eyes off of the straight-ahead view.

Back