• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Alien Movies

:oops: i seem to remember her being a right ejit and that lead the captain to his nasty end.But she is a mere mockery of womanhood compared to ripley. :D

titch said:
:oops: i seem to remember her being a right ejit and that lead the captain to his nasty end.But she is a mere mockery of womanhood compared to ripley. :D

Don't get her mad or she'll projectile vomit cherry stones at you!

But she is a mere mockery of womanhood compared to ripley

Be fair, she’s had a hell of a life; pecked as a child (and on her birthday), seen her boyfriend taken over by plants, even Mr Spock turned nasty on her. Then just as she was getting to the age where she could take a step back and relax, she’s abducted by aliens again.

All Sigourney Weaver had to cope with was the horror of realising she was contracted in to do the sequels. Especially Aliens, the greatest film since Godfather 3.

Being in the mood for something bat-shit crazy to raise my spirits, I bunged in John Carpenter's take on The Thing the other night.

I'm sure it's thought very clunky now by special effects buffs but having forgotten what happens and when in detail, I have to say I laughed my proverbial socks off at the key Alien rip-off moment.

Dweeb-note: Though it isn't credited, I think the clip we see on the monitor is from the original Howard Hawks production.

OTT gore effects have been done to death in recent years so I am well out of touch with what counts as extreme now but The Thing is worth a look, if Alien-type events appeal. :)

The Thing is great, both versions. The remake is my favourite though. As far as what's extreme now I don't think anything is these days compared to the 70's.

What's great about those effects in The Thing was they were real (well, rubber and latex and corn syrup) and done on the set, rather than concocted on a computer as the remake/prequel will doubtlessly do, thus neglecting part of the appeal. Plus there's that fantastic line when they catch sight of the spider head - great swearing there.

I had no idea they were doing another one. Looking at IMDb though , despite the number of Scandinavians, it looks like it's a remake.

I know John Carpenter's was a remake itself but I think this new one will be crap, I just don't think people can make horror films anymore. Not least because;

What's great about those effects in The Thing was they were real (well, rubber and latex and corn syrup) and done on the set, rather than concocted on a computer as the remake/prequel will doubtlessly do, thus neglecting part of the appeal.

To take this point a little further, I think this is one of the reasons that Alien works so well. Yes it' a man in a latex suite, and in the final scene where it gets flushed out and it was a stuntman rather than Bolaji Badejo wearing it, Alien looks a bit stocky. Still though the fact that it was a man in a suite makes it more effective. Because in Alien they took the now at least radical step of having things like actors (like the lovely Veronica Cartwright) and a script, and they had something concrete to react to.

Also it was the best was to translate Giger's ideas, at least in part because you could inevitably see human aspects in it, this is one of the reasons it was so unpleasant, it was a sort of an Alien perversion of a human. In later films though it lost it's mystery and instead of some weird and threatening half machine half flesh and blood inaccessible thing it became just another wonky monster.

Incidentally another dweeb note, as for the name of 'the company' Weyland Yutami although never directly mentioned in Alien but seen written in the background, was meant to suggest a British/Japanese partnership. The Weyland part of the name was taken from Leyland as in British Leyland. Perhaps that's why the lights kept going out in the spaceship all the time.

Well i got the person wrong but ........ "As the Alien killed off her crewmates and their Science Officer Ash proved to be an android, Lambert became increasingly unstable and just wanted to escape from the ship. It was her unstability that led to her and Parker's deaths, as she froze up with terror, allowing the Alien to easily kill her and Parker."

Ripley should have slapped her hard!

I know there are lots of extras on my Thing DVD so I might learn a bit more about it tonight. Shame it's a non-anamorphic disc, though it looks ok and is in scope.

I wonder what it was like to see this one with a live audience? It's not that I often wish for one tbh and I suppose there are some subdued sections that would tax short attention-spans now. :)

Here's some Alien Action Figures which never saw the light of day back in 1979...

ALIEN REACTION FIGURE PREORDERS OPEN NOW!

In 1979, prototypes for 3 ¾” action figures for the ALIEN film were developed but never manufactured. Through our network of industry and collector contacts, Super7 has unearthed reference material and original 34-year-old prototypes and will now make these “lost toys” a reality.

Under authorization from 20th Century Fox, Super7 will produce the full series of ALIEN toys as part of our ReAction Figure Series (Retro-Action). Each is stylized exactly as items from the “golden age” of action figures with approximately five points of articulation, accessories, and period-authentic blister card packaging.

Collect all five ReAction Figures -
  • * THE ALIEN (“BIG CHAP”) – w/ removable transparent dome, extendable jaws and glow-in-the-dark head!
    * RIPLEY – w/ Flame Thrower
    * ASH – w/ Motion Detector
    * DALLAS – w/ Flame Thrower
    * KANE IN NOSTROMO SPACESUIT – w/ removable helmet and transparent visor
$100.00 set of 5 figures.

Each figure is packaged individually on a blister card.
http://blog.super7store.com/2013/08/01/ ... -open-now/

Will Ripley be in it again?

The great thing about The Thing was the canny use of humour that defused the shock.

I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time, I'd rather not spend the rest of this winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!!!

The Thing has some of the best swearing ever heard in a movie. Hearing Keith David swear in general is like a form of music.

The Thing has some of the best swearing ever heard in a movie. Hearing Keith David swear in general is like a form of music.

I'd venture that Carpenter's The Thing is probably the manliest horror film ever made ... ever!

I'd venture that Carpenter's The Thing is probably the manliest horror film ever made ... ever!

The only woman in it is a computer! Unless the Thing was female?

Now that we can officially get excited about Neill Blomkamp making an Alien film, questions have started being asked about where exactly the District 9 and Chappie filmmaker’s concept fits into the franchise.

Speaking to Sky Movies (via Den Of Geek), Blomkamp and Sigourney Weaver revealed that the film will in fact be rewriting series continuity by ignoring Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection.

“”I want this film to feel like it is literally the genetic sibling of Aliens. So it’s Alien, Aliens, this movie.”http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/ali...-alien-3-and-alien-resurrection#ixzz3SqP2WeyE

“It’s a Freudian nightmare. That element to me is what is so appealing. To try to put the audience on the edge of their seat, in a traditional ‘monster stalking you in a dark corridor way.”

Weaver added “I would love to take Ripley out of orbiting around in space, and give a proper finish to her story” ...

http://www.scifinow.co.uk/news/alien-5-neill-blomkamp-reveals-continuity-changes/

Now that we can officially get excited about Neill Blomkamp making an Alien film, questions have started being asked about where exactly the District 9 and Chappie filmmaker’s concept fits into the franchise.

Speaking to Sky Movies (via Den Of Geek), Blomkamp and Sigourney Weaver revealed that the film will in fact be rewriting series continuity by ignoring Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection.

“”I want this film to feel like it is literally the genetic sibling of Aliens. So it’s Alien, Aliens, this movie.”

“It’s a Freudian nightmare. That element to me is what is so appealing. To try to put the audience on the edge of their seat, in a traditional ‘monster stalking you in a dark corridor way.”

Weaver added “I would love to take Ripley out of orbiting around in space, and give a proper finish to her story” ...

http://www.scifinow.co.uk/news/alien-5-neill-blomkamp-reveals-continuity-changes/

I really like Alien 3. At least the 'assembly cut'. Even Alien Res has its moments. I don't think either deserve to be discarded.

They'd have to pick up where Alien Resurrection finished, with the Alien on Earth, and we all know how the AvP movies ended up. Maybe they could introduce a time travel element? Trouble is, those last two movies are very well known if not as popular as the first two, it's going to take quite some feat of concentration to forget they existed.

Think of it as a parallel universe.
Problem is, once you bring parallel universes into fiction, then everything portrayed, every journey you share with those characters, essentially becomes meaningless, as you know there are an infinite number of universes in which those same characters have different journeys, some disastrous, some more positive, and some more entertaining with better special effects.

Problem is, once you bring parallel universes into fiction, then everything portrayed, every journey you share with those characters, essentially becomes meaningless, as you know there are an infinite number of universes in which those same characters have different journeys, some disastrous, some more positive, and some more entertaining with better special effects.

Ah c'mon, just cheer on The Multiverse!

Okay, I will in this universe. Just so long as you know that in an infinite number of other universes I'm proper down on the Multiverse.

Just as though I love Michael Moorcocks Multiverse in this Universe, in a multitude of others I assassinated him for thinking it up.

The aliens are landing at the Royal Cornwall Museum
By WBCaroline | Posted: February 28, 2016

PROPS from blockbuster movie Aliens made by a local craftsman will be landing at a new monster exhibition in Truro.
Renowned armourer and prop designer Terry English has lent his handiwork made for James Cameron's science fiction film to the Royal Cornwall Museum for its forthcoming exhibition All Monsters Great And Small.

Terry has suited up Hollywood stars for decades, including the body armour worn by Bill Paxton's Hicks in Aliens, the mask from The Man In The Iron Mask starring Leonardo DiCaprio and armour for a 10ft troll in Harry Potter films – not to mention Arnold Schwarzenegger's Mr Freeze armour in Batman & Robin.

He even made 106 pieces for the 1981 film Excalibur, starring Patrick Stewart, Helen Mirren and the late Nigel Terry, who played King Arthur in the 1981 film and lived in St Ives in his later years until his death last year.

Now the craftsman, who lives near Hayle, is set to steal the limelight at the exhibition in Truro that explores the psychology behind the invention of monsters, how and why they have changed and Cornwall's own beasts.
Terry, who owns English Arms and Armour and has been armourer to the Queen, said: "Monsters make you go back to your childhood. What you remember are films like Dracula and Godzilla. These early cinematic impressions really resonate and shape our perceptions of monsters."

It takes Terry on average three days to create one suit of armour but he has worked round the clock to finish one within 24 hours.
The exhibition will also include rarely-seen medieval books from Exeter Cathedral library and the museum's own collection.

Jayne Wackett, exhibition curator, said: "The exciting thing about monsters is there are so many fascinating angles to look at them from. We have a series of experts coming to talk on matters ranging from psychology through to monsters in the medieval world, promoting this amazing exhibition to the local community."

A children's music project, coinciding with the exhibition, includes a specially-commissioned piece, A Story Of Cornwall, based around legends from the county, written in old Cornish, Latin and English, and composed by bard Nick Hart.

The exhibition runs from March 7 to August 31. Admission is free for children and £4.50 for unlimited adult entry for a year.

http://www.westbriton.co.uk/Aliens-landing-Truro-new-exhibition/story-28809290-detail/story.html#1

Wow, he can make an entire suit of armour in a day? That is impressive.

It was a bit disappointing to say the least when we heard that Neill Blomkamp’s Alien sequel, which would have brought back Sigourney Weaver as Ellen Ripley and probably Michael Biehn as Hicks, had been pushed back indefinitely to make room for Ridley Scott’s Alien: Covenant.

However, according to Weaver, we shouldn’t lose hope.

Speaking at VMWare (via Agressive Comix), Weaver was asked if Blomkamp’s Alien movie was still on the cards.

“Well, I *think* it is,” she replied. “Ridley asked Neill NOT to make our Alien til after Prometheus 2. He (Ridley) wanted his movie to shoot and be released first. But it’s an AMAZING script, and Neill and I are REALLY excited about doing it. We’re doing other things until we can get going on that. I’d be really surprised if we DIDN’T do it, because it’s such a great script, and we love working together. So, it’s just going to take a little bit longer to get out to you, but it’ll be worth the wait.” ...

http://www.scifinow.co.uk/news/sigourney-weaver-still-wants-to-make-neill-blomkamps-alien-5/

Back