• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

How I Would Like My Own Funeral

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
We had a thread on this but I can't find it. Or if it's still around, how about bumping it?

Anyway, I'm not having a funeral. No need. I'll be dead.

Instead, I wish to be cremated with no ceremony whatsoever and then my ashes are to be scattered along a beach with those of another beloved person. I've already started arranging this.

I bet everyone else has much more interesting plans though! ;)

Full Catholic Mass. Incense, bells and probably whistles as well :) I'm not expecting anyone else to turn up for that bit but I've got enough in my will for a get together after a year to drink and reminisce - and if no one turns up for that either the money goes to Shelter :)

Cremation.

Opening music Rock n Roll Heart by Lou Reed. Then a fake wailing women chorus. Friends then recount tales of my looniness and drunken antics. Such as the time 3 of us were drunkenly out postering, the other 2 were stopped by a cop and I went up with a rolled up poster, claimed I was from RTE and asked to interview him about police harassment.

Joe Hill by Luke Kelly, No Time For Love by Moving Hearts.

Then when it gets time for the coffin to slide away: Light My Fire by The Doors followed by Both Ends Burning by Roxy Music, ending with Ashes to Ashes by David Bowie.

Why move this? My thread was about our own ideas, not what already happens.

I'm still making up my mind what I want.
Cremation, definitely - with no religious stuff - but I still can't make up my mind about music.
Perhaps a few Klingon dirges or something, finishing with 'Always Look on the Bright Side of Life' as mentioned in an earlier post.

I was outside the undertakers in Redruth today, waiting for a bus (as you do).
Although its initial appearance is of a traditional black crepe and top hats outfit, I noticed adverts for Colourful Coffins and woodland burials, etc, so they can probably cater for most needs.

They also recommend you pay for your funeral now, so you avoid money worries and can get on with your life! ;)

(I'll still be undecided when my time comes...)

I want to be buried unless it's really expensive. The idea being that I will be a star of some future Time Team special made by aliens from Zygrote 8, (mankind having wiped itself through some act of stupidity).

So anyone know a good boggy graveyard?

There's just nothing romantic about cremation, when I go to old graveyards half the feeling is knowing there is a person's remains possibly still there.

Probably a hangover from my Gothy past.

Also how the heck are you going to be reanimated if you are a pile of ash?

Woodland burial in a wicker coffin. Church service ( although I am not religious, I do like a bit of cultural Christianity ). First song "Heavenly Pop Hit" to make everyone smile, then carry me out to "She goes on" to make everyone cry.

Adding that most of me is going for medical research (not enough autistic brains get sliced up and studied) and or teaching aids for med students. It's whatever is left, even a fingernail, that gets the Full Catholic Monty!

Re-useable or bio-degradeable coffin (or matchbox) for the remains and then whatever is greenest at the time I go. No stone, no inscription: when I'm gone I'm gone and I'll see you later :p

Why move this? My thread was about our own ideas, not what already happens.

You mentioned that we had a thread on this, relevant posts seemed to be on the Mod Funeral posts thread. I thought I would bring you out of your shell by merging the two.

While I was trying to figure out how to demerge, Stu kindly sorted out the mess.

Adding that most of me is going for medical research (not enough autistic brains get sliced up and studied) and or teaching aids for med students. It's whatever is left, even a fingernail, that gets the Full Catholic Monty!

Re-useable or bio-degradeable coffin (or matchbox) for the remains and then whatever is greenest at the time I go. No stone, no inscription: when I'm gone I'm gone and I'll see you later :p

I might actually go for medical research as well. My father always said he wanted his body to go that way but he neglected to sign anything so they couldn't take him.

I will have a viking long boat floating down the thames, my corpse with my longbow on my chest, my mobile phone n walkman in my pockets, surrounded by my books and with enough beers and pringles to last me in the afterlife, when the longboat is on its way my best friend will shoot a fire arrow into the boat and WHOOSSSHHH off i go into unknown

I will have a viking long boat floating down the thames, my corpse with my longbow on my chest, my mobile phone n walkman in my pockets, surrounded by my books and with enough beers and pringles to last me in the afterlife, when the longboat is on its way my best friend will shoot a fire arrow into the boat and WHOOSSSHHH off i go into unknown

Way to go!

I've given no thought to my own funeral (other than wanting to avoid anything soppy) but my cousin and I have decided where we want to be buried though. There's this little graveyard in the middle of nowhere where some of our ancestors are buried. You have to go through miles of grain fields to get there on these tiny roads and the only sound out there is the wind.

The downside is that it's very, very spooky after dark. Or maybe that's an upside? :p It's the "witchy" side of the family that's buried there, so we feel it would be traditional and appropriate.
I did several posts on my blog about about our experiences there, starting with this one:
http://victoriaphantasmagoria.blogspot.com/2012/07/lone-oak-cemetery-part-1.html

Of, course, we aren't planning to die for a couple hundred years, yet. And they may have discovered the secret to immortality by then. ;)

I have long joked (but secretly really want to do it) about my funeral arrangements. I want to be buried at sea from an old clipper. It will be compulsory for all attending to wear at least one eye patch. I really want people who are sad and reflective to be forced to crack a smile. As my canvas shrouded body splashes into the water, I want some sort of gun salute followed by "Chasing Rainbows" by Shed 7 and "Live Forever" by Oasis.

And then Salt & Vinegar or Prawn cocktail crisps for everyone on the way back, washed down with Dandelion & Burdock or Root beer. Hoorah!

I have long joked (but secretly really want to do it) about my funeral arrangements. I want to be buried at sea from an old clipper. It will be compulsory for all attending to wear at least one eye patch. I really want people who are sad and reflective to be forced to crack a smile. As my canvas shrouded body splashes into the water, I want some sort of gun salute followed by "Chasing Rainbows" by Shed 7 and "Live Forever" by Oasis.

And then Salt & Vinegar or Prawn cocktail crisps for everyone on the way back, washed down with Dandelion & Burdock or Root beer. Hoorah!

Just be careful that the gravediggers don't drown.

I would either like...
To be cryogenically frozen and launched into an eternal journey through space.
Or my remains to be turned into a diamond.
Or as a test to trial a new form of burial which would involved being vertically interred in a big Pringles tube and planted with a headstone on top. I figure a vertical burial would save loads of plot spaces. Large families could be done as a six-pack.

Back