• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

John Carpenter

September 8: John Carpenter reveals his FOG remake idea

John Carpenter, director and co-writer of the original 1980 THE FOG, had no problem ceding creative control of the new remake he’s co-producing to director Rupert Wainwright. But he does offer his thoughts to Fango about how he would have handled the redux if he had taken the helm again. “I’d have put it in a big city,” Carpenter reveals, “and make it an urban film. I had an idea once I could never figure out. I’d make [the ghosts] the innocent dead, and the people who were killed unfairly would come back and seek a little payback. There’d be a lot of stuff going on in the ghettos. But that would be a whole different movie, and it would also be much more serious.” For now, Carpenter is quite content in his role as producer (along with David Foster and the late Debra Hill), letting Wainwright make this version of THE FOG his own. See Fango #247, on sale this month, for our exclusive visit to the new FOG’s set. —Dayna Van Buskirk

www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=4670

Big Trouble in Little China is one of my favorite films of all time. When it was first out, I watched three times on the same day, which is a personal record. A great BTILC site:

http://www.wingkong.net/

The ladies also looked good in the eastern clothes in that movie as well. :smokin:

The way that guy exploded in the end of themovie as well. :lol:

The fog being remade eh. Are his ideas going to be put into the new version? Would a ghetto version beas gooad and what is going to be diffrent?

Carpentars 1982 remake of the Thing was class though.

The Fog out on DVD:

The Fog (2005) (R1) in January

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of The Fog for 24th January 2006 priced at $28.95 SRP. From producer John Carpenter comes the all-new retelling of his terror classic, THE FOG. Tom Welling (TV's "Smallville"), Maggie Grace (TV's "Lost") and Selma Blair (Hellboy) star in this tale of demonic retribution, directed by Rupert Wainwright (Stigmata) and written by Cooper Layne.

Available in separate Rated Fullscreen and Unrated Widescreen editions features include:

• * English & French DD5.1 Surround
    * English & French subtitles
    * 7 Deleted Scenes with optional director's commentary
    * Feeling the Effects of the Fog Featurette
    * Seeing Through the Fog Featurette
    * Whiteout Conditions: The Remake of a Horror Classic Featurette

www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=59305

Preordering:
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000CCB ... enantmc-20

IMDB:
www.imdb.com/title/tt0432291/

Watched Escape from New York and La the other day.

Both rocked like.

New York had a lot less computer work to it though and less action but was still the better.

The surfing scene in EfLA is so awful it is funny. I imgiane they envisioned it as uber-cool though.

Mighty_Emperor said:
The surfing scene in EfLA is so awful it is funny. I imgiane they envisioned it as uber-cool though.

That was boss.

Wish you could do that in reality. :yeay:

A governement like that though could become a reality though. :shock:

I wonder if they'd ever use whole cities in the future though as prisons. Could they do an option of not throwing you in for your whole life though?

Funny and convieniet too that when he gets help and offers people freedom to help him do his mission, that they end up dying everytime. :lol:

thanks for the thread, he is one of my absolute favorite directors, I think those are his cool movies,

Halloween
Assault on Precinct 13
Escape from New York
The Fog
The Thing
Christine
Big Trouble in Little China
Prince of Darkness
They Live
In the Mouth of Madness
Vampires
Ghosts of Mars

also he is an excellent composer
http://www.theofficialjohncarpenter.com ... music.html

I remember watching, Ghosts of Mars, late night during an UnConvention, a few years back. Thoroughly enjoyed it! :D

Big Trouble in Little China and They Live!, are off the wall classics, too. :)

I wish someone would give him an extraordinarily limited budget and tell him to make a scary film. I don't think he's made a good film in a long while.

Frank_Black said:
I wish someone would give him an extraordinarily limited budget and tell him to make a scary film. I don't think he's made a good film in a long while.

He had that with his Masters of Horror episodes, and they weren't exactly a return to form...

I do have a theory (well, apart from the older a director gets the worse, relatively, his output becomes).
I think J.C began losing his touch when he switched from his creepy electronic scores to the godawful thrashing guitar soundtracks beloved of most horror films these days.
One only has to listen to the original Escape from New York theme, and the guitar led Escape from L.A one to know which sets up the mood better.

In The Mouth of Madness is the exception which proves the rule...

I could, of course, just be talking bobbins...

Frank_Black said:

He hasn't made a film in a long while, apart from The Ward which wasn't a bad timepasser, but when you know what he used to be capable of...

I got In The Mouth of Madness fully expecting it to be a crappy/good film. Turned out legitimately good in my book, but then I had just embarked on my journey into Lovecraft and was lapping it all up.

Prince of Darkness was pretty rad too, I'm a sucker for a religious horror.

Though anyone who likes Christine should check out this promo for an awesome cartoon called Regular Show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnMdoyScKAU

ally_katte said:
Though anyone who likes Christine should check out this promo for an awesome cartoon called Regular Show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnMdoyScKAU

Looks fun, but I don't see what it has to do with Christine! I saw In The Mouth of Madness in a mostly empty cinema when it came out and thought it was a return to form. Could have done with a bit more cash thrown at it, but Carpenter at least was engaged with something fresh. Then we got stuff like Vampires and Ghosts of Mars. Oh well.

I've just finished watching They Live (with wine and chocolate - a rare day off) and I really enjoyed it. Once one accepts the fact that it's a slightly larger budgeted B-Movie and judges it on its own merits, it's really quite fun and succeeds easily in conveying its one or one and a half messages exceedingly well.

I must say, I was reminded of my plan to watch it by this Alex Jones trailer (no sniggering at the back!):

The Fog is next, although I've seen that before.

I thought They Live was fairly original, especially for a budget B-movie.

And that classic line about kicking bubblegum and chewing ass... or was it the other way around? Meg Foster looks more like a scary space alien than the scary space aliens in that movie. Can't beat pulp fiction with a message, surprised it doesn't happen more often (or as well, anyway).

Kermode on John Carpenter as Year Zero

Mark Kermode discusses why most modern films are influenced by John Carpenter, once thought to be at the end of the Golden Age of American Horror (68 to 78 - Night of the Living Dead to Halloween) here Kermode attempts to show the film Halloween is actually Year Zero for modern American cinema.

He's changed his tune then? .... year zero for him used to be The Exorcist (1973 release date) .. he knows his horror films though ..

edit: John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness full movie ... enjoy!

It's a good point, even the current horror and thriller soundtracks are sounding very Carpenter-esque. I saw '71 and it didn't occur to me Escape from New York was the main influence, but now he mentions it, yeah. Mind you, Escape is a lot more fun.

I've never seen Halloween - how much am I missing?
I adore classic horror (Poe, James, Lovecraft and others) and am amused by blood and fantasy gore, but psychological horror films tend to trouble me too much!

I've never seen Halloween - how much am I missing?
I adore classic horror (Poe, James, Lovecraft and others) and am amused by blood and fantasy gore, but psychological horror films tend to trouble me too much!
The thing is, if you did see it now you would probably think you'd seen it before - it's been imitated so many times and is a benchmark for (all?)slasher films.

It may seem old hat by now since it was such an archetype it was copied to death (pardon the expression), but I think it still stands up as a horror of wondrous simplicity, basic good versus evil stuff, tense and exciting. Give it a go, what do you have to lose?

If it's any consolation, the only time I saw it in a cinema the audience were roaring with laughter at Halloween. I mean, they enjoyed it, but the reaction wasn't fear.

edit: John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness full movie ... enjoy!

And do keep a lookout for Alice Cooper as a 'street schizo'. :D Also did the title song.

Is Mouth of Madness the one with 'Sutter Kane'? I have a very hazy recollection of seeing it a long time ago, the only bit I think I recall is towards the end where the lead is being chased down a tunnel in a kind of sub-At the Mountains of Madness type thing.

And do keep a lookout for Alice Cooper as a 'street schizo'. :D Also did the title song.

Is Mouth of Madness the one with 'Sutter Kane'? I have a very hazy recollection of seeing it a long time ago, the only bit I think I recall is towards the end where the lead is being chased down a tunnel in a kind of sub-At the Mountains of Madness type thing.

Yes it is ... Sutter Kane was the author who out sold Stephen King in the film ... readers of his fiction were turning mad he mysteriously vanished prompting the publisher (Charlton Heston) to hire a private investigator to find Kane leading him and Charlton's PA to the town of Hobs End .. then many increasingly horrifying time and reality warps lead us to the conclusion .. well worth a re-watch and one of Carpenter's best films IMO ...

Back