• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Savannah, Georgia: Americas Most Haunted City

Theo

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
You definitely feel the scooby doo vibe the moment you walk into town. The first thing you notice is the stench of swamp gas. The town is home to eerie, ancient live oak trees with beards of Spanish moss. Almost every tree has had its lowest, largest branch cut off quite some time ago. The city prides itself on being creepy, calling itself the most haunted city in America. Savannah's history is certainly bloody. Native American massacres, revolutionary war battles, civil war battles, slave markets and lynchings of slaves. There are hundreds of dilapidated Victorian mansions, run down concrete shacks, Masonic temples, and a creepy Presbyterian church. Some company in town does ghost tours with a train that goes through old building. I never did any tours, i saw enough just walking around and sleeping in strange places. My friends and I squatted a borded up yellow Victorian mansion. We slept in an octagon shaped turret on the third story. All 5 of us felt a strange presence immediately, like something was watching us. We saw a faint humanoid form, like when you burn propane and things look a bit different through the gas. We had some glow sticks with strings attached. When I was laying down, I saw the string levitating and wrigging like a work out of the corner of my eye. When I looked it stopped. The same thing happened 20 minutes later, my friend saw it too.

We saw a faint humanoid form, like when you burn propane and things look a bit different through the gas.
That's a good description.

Did you live rough for a while?

Southern Georgia is fantastically spooky and in places very sad. I visited Brunswick with my woman, her home town, and was hit by the sense of deep decline. Fantastic old town houses, built when the port was probably coining it in from the cotton trade, sagging and drooping, like your aged great-great granny's tits. Not decay and vandalism, just places boarded up, and rotting away slowly, houses, family businesses and old factories alike. That Spanish Moss makes the place seem so much more eerie, possibly because it is so alien to me apart from in spooky movies.
Visiting a diner had me, Mr Un-PC, choking on my food, hearing the things the locals were saying out LOUD about certain, erm, local "dusky" folk. Yep, THAT word, used openly, with zero fucks given. I thought I'd wandered through a time portal, listening to Miss X talking to Miss Y about Miss Daisy and her driver-boy in language I rarely hear in public, let alone from such nice, respectable-looking folk. It's not often I'm speechless!

Sadly, I didn't get to spend any real time soaking up the doom and gloom, which was probably for the best. It was like a Summer resort in winter, except that it hadn't re-opened after the Winter break 50 years ago.

Back