• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Optical Illusions Thread

optical-illusions-part-2-53.jpg

:eek:

Try looking at your reflection in a mirror after watching this.

UPDATE: Dont try this IF you intend to drive/operate machinery/slice some meat/visit the loo for a jimmy-riddle....immediately afterwards.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's like a mini-trip!

Whats it suppose to do?, it just gave me a headache, pass the paracetamol :p

How your eyes play tricks on you.

Last edited:
Chuckle Brothers optical illusion: The woman in the picture speaks out

_86797716_887395_556146307871749_5818823177186131669_o.jpg

Chances are you did a double take when you saw the photo above.

It's completely innocent. A woman on a night out in Leeds having her photo taken with children's TV legends the Chuckle Brothers.
However, on second glance, some people think her arm looks like... well... something else.

The photo is a literal optical illusion - when an object makes your brain see something else.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/artic...-illusion-the-woman-in-the-picture-speaks-out

Mind-bending optical illusion to find the spots causes your eyes to play tricks on you
Updated 11:17, 12 Sep 2016By Kirstie McCrum

If you're feeling a little unsteady this morning, be warned - this spot-the-dots game will leave you queasy as you try and solve it

Magic eye pictures, optical illusions - there are many ways our eyes can be tricked by something which appears to be in front of us.

And this picture is a real case in point.

The trick is to spot all the dots, as they occur on the crossover where diagonal lines meet vertical and horizontal.

But the grid's a tricky one because your eyes actually cannot take in all 12 back dots at the same time.

The image was posted online by games developer
Will Kerslake , who saw his tweet take off with more than 8,600 retweets.
"There are twelve black dots at the intersections in this image. Your brain won’t let you see them all at once," he said.

The science behind the image was explained when a puzzle like it was first published in the journal Perception in 2000 .

etc...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/mind-bending-optical-illusion-find-8815883

I don't think I've seen one like that before! :)

Mind-bending optical illusion to find the spots causes your eyes to play tricks on you
Updated 11:17, 12 Sep 2016By Kirstie McCrum

If you're feeling a little unsteady this morning, be warned - this spot-the-dots game will leave you queasy as you try and solve it

Magic eye pictures, optical illusions - there are many ways our eyes can be tricked by something which appears to be in front of us.

And this picture is a real case in point.

The trick is to spot all the dots, as they occur on the crossover where diagonal lines meet vertical and horizontal.

But the grid's a tricky one because your eyes actually cannot take in all 12 back dots at the same time.

The image was posted online by games developer Will Kerslake , who saw his tweet take off with more than 8,600 retweets.
"There are twelve black dots at the intersections in this image. Your brain won’t let you see them all at once," he said.

The science behind the image was explained when a puzzle like it was first published in the journal Perception in 2000 .

etc...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/mind-bending-optical-illusion-find-8815883

I don't think I've seen one like that before! :)

I've got as far as 12 spots so far but not all at the same time .. do I win anything ? :)

I was in Budapest earlier this year when, one evening, I noticed the following.

On the Pest side of the Elizabeth Bridge sits the Belvárosi Plébániatemplom (the inner city parish church) - a rather imposing building with two towers at the front, both of which I take it are copper skinned. On looking up I noticed the rather disconcerting illusion that the copper clad area at the top of the towers was not three dimensional - but looked for all the world more like a painted backcloth added to a real structure, flat and lacking in depth.

It's safe to assume that this is not unique to this building and must have something to do with the properties of light in relationship to the copper verdigris, combined with the low level of that light at that time of day - but I've never noticed it as strikingly before.

Unfortunately, although I had a decent SLR with me it was dark and I didn't have a tripod, so the photos aren't great - but I think they give a good impression of the phenomenon.

IMG_8006resized.jpg

IMG_8008aresized.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8006resized.jpg
    IMG_8006resized.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8008aresized.jpg
    IMG_8008aresized.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 20
... On looking up I noticed the rather disconcerting illusion that the copper clad area at the top of the towers was not three dimensional - but looked for all the world more like a painted backcloth added to a real structure, flat and lacking in depth. ...

I think I know the effect you're describing ...

When I lived in Stockholm I'd noticed the same eerily artificial characteristic in the spire of Tyska Kyrkan (the German Church, Gamla Stan) at night and from certain angles (typically within one or two blocks of the church).

The cold verdigris of the spire clashed with the warmly colored / lit surrounding buildings to an extent that it appeared to have been superimposed in a manner that focused viewing couldn't quite accept as natural. The visual clashing was amplified by the difference between the tower's lower, simpler lines and upper, ornate intricacies.

Because it reminded me of a pre-CGI matte overlay of the sort employed in pre-WWII horror movie backgrounds, I began referring to Tyska Kyrkan as 'Drakula Kyrkan'.

I can't find a photo illustrating the exact effect, but the stock image at this URL:

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-vi...re-and-steeple-of-german-church-67369815.html

... gives some indication of how the spire looms coldly over the warmer scenes below.

NOTE: The effect required ambient lighting (i.e., no spotlight illumination of the steeple as illustrated in the stock photo), similar to the lighting in your photos.

looked for all the world more like a painted backcloth added to a real structure, flat and lacking in depth.

reminds me of the up market printed fabric covers you get for scaffolding.... good spot Spookdaddy!

reminds me of the up market printed fabric covers you get for scaffolding.... good spot Spookdaddy!

Yes - I hadn't thought of that, but that's precisely the effect.

During the day the towers took full advantage of all their allotted dimensions - but at night...flat as a pancake.

Two methods of creating the Penrose impossible triangle in real life.
I think the second is far more impressive!

Very clever.

How did he do it ? only perspective ? .. I'd call that a sophisticated perspective trick but I'm more interested personally in the cards growing in the hand illusion technique ?

How did he do it ? only perspective ? .. I'd call that a sophisticated perspective trick but I'm more interested personally in the cards growing in the hand illusion technique ?
Clever cut shot. Very well done too.

I didn't spot a film cut in it .. like a hidden edit ?
I can't either.
Maybe there was a bit of digital compositing with digital elements overlaid to smooth the transition?

I can't either.
Maybe there was a bit of digital compositing with digital elements overlaid to smooth the transition?
I don't think so .... perspective tricks .. I just can't work out the angles in my head, I think the table top is the starting point to this illusion, it's usually foreground but buggered if I know .. one clue is that it looks like it was filmed with reverse photography (spot the cards on the ground at the very last second seeming to raise up and into his hands ?) ... this is at least partially a reverse engineered effect (on camera) IMO, we might be able to work out the rest of the trick from there ..

Last edited:
Back