• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

They fell out of this dimension!
There's another Ermintrude somewhere who has just found some coins.

It's somehow strangely possible. At least if somebody, somewhere, has got them, I don't feel so bad.

A penny falls
Eternity calls
The wheels of time turning
Cogs, yearning to be free.
Rounded up, or loose
Change exchanged for air
In partial payment for minor mystery
Must be fine.

Earlier in the week I started decorating. I nipped out for a butty and then it rained - so I found shelter under a tree. An old lady I know of joined me and I ended up walking with her to a nearby supermarket.

This evening I nipped out again for some fast food and it started raining. I ran along and made it to the same tree and I waited for it to stop. Whilst I was waiting for my order in the chippy a friend I had lost contact walked in. We both became buddies years ago at college - studying painting and decorating. Anyhows, as we chatted he told me he and the missus had just been shopping at the same supermarket that I took the old lady to earlier in the week. ( Twilight Zone music begins to play )

bag.jpg hotel.jpg sticks.jpg
Three minor observations from a visit to Gent:
1) A UFO-themed handbag in 60's design - quite nice actually.
2) Wallpaper in the IBIS hotel where we slept. Now why would a hotel choose a wallpaper describing the problems of the US Iraq invasion?
3) Glass walking sticks - these have a relation with folk anti-witchcraft charms:
https://danharms.wordpress.com/2015/01/21/charm-wands-and-charm-sticks-an-addendum/
https://danharms.wordpress.com/2014/06/21/charm-wands-and-charm-sticks-the-final-chapter/

That's wallpaper? It seems to be spreading out into the room. Odd.

I want a glass walking stick!

I think the Autodesk CAD package allowed you to model all sorts of virtual things in theoretical glass. Bridges, ladders, walking sticks, bicycles. I did like the glass car/automobile roadside lifting jacks.

The glowering grey skies make these baleful places poetic, almost!

I'm only up to 79 but have a strange urge to visit Belgium. Thanks for posting. :)

I think number 3 carries a pleasantness that brightens up the drab neighborhood. Someone should produce a pack of Top Trumps based upon those buildings. On and did number 8 forget the bricks?

Wife was watching Wayne's World, I don't think either of us had watched it for about 5 years. I'd just wandered into the living room having just woken up following a night shift. I looked at what she was watching and said, (obviously), "Wayne's World, Wayne's World, party time, excellent!" To which Wayne on the telly repeated the phrase back immediately.

Not that strange as the phrase is repeated a lot in the film but good timing Wayne!

Sch-wing! Is this your knife in my back?

She will be mine... oh yes, she will be mine.

This film was about 90% catchphrases, wasn't it?

She will be mine... oh yes, she will be mine.

This film was about 90% catchphrases, wasn't it?
There were certainly some memorable lines.
What happened to dudespeak? There was a whole rash of dudespeak films, and then they stopped making them. I suppose when the 90s ended, maybe. Or the joke wore thin.

I have an unhealthy fascination for Scandinavian traffic webcams (here some examples and much more) and sometimes (when it rains outside, like now) I run a script that scrapes a lot of pictures and then I look for anything remarkable. I might do Sudoku puzzles but this is more interesting o_O Today I caught some wildlife on the webcam that I'm not sure about. I think it's a crow and a fox. It's only in one picture, so the black thing is not dirt on the lens.
100109-22-15-8-2015-2-39.jpg 455931-57-15-8-2015-13-41.jpg

I have an unhealthy fascination for Scandinavian traffic webcams (here some examples and much more) and sometimes (when it rains outside, like now) I run a script that scrapes a lot of pictures and then I look for anything remarkable. I might do Sudoku puzzles but this is more interesting o_O Today I caught some wildlife on the webcam that I'm not sure about. I think it's a crow and a fox. It's only in one picture, so the black thing is not dirt on the lens.
View attachment 1007 View attachment 1008
The fox looks a bit cat-like to me, but the other thing? No idea. I can't see a crow but I can see a cartoon panda simulacra.

cat2.jpg
You are right about the cat! I let the script run and it came back :rolleyes: Satisfying mini mystery solved on a rainy weekend.

The lightbulb in the room where I'm sitting just fell out of the socket, with absolutely no provocation, and the socket doesn't apear to be giving in to wear and tear. Very odd.

*nods* It may be a day for light bulb weirdness. Today I was installing light shades for a friend when several chunks of plastic fell off the fitting and dropped onto the floor.
However, we couldn't then find the bits on the floor, and there were no bits missing from the fitting. Baffled.

A formal jacket of mine, which has unique buttons, has suddenly produced a spare matching cuff button, loose, inside one of the pockets.

None of the buttons are missing. It never had any extra ones attached as surplus extras.

The jacket is ancient and familiar, yet has begat a bewildering baby button.

Last edited:
*A little coincidence* The past few days I've been enjoying the thread about Kurt Cobain on here. Last night I went to bed thinking about him and what he might be like if he were still alive. Anyhoo, I get into bed and continue reading Jon Ronson's book "Frank" about his time with Frank Sidebottom. Ronson talks about a strange band called The Shaggs' made up of three abused girls who had never heard music but whose father made them play in a band, the results were, of course rather odd and eerie. I googled them and listened to their song "philosophy of the world". I then return to reading the book - it says that The Shaggs album was in Kurt's top 5 albums of all time.

I've heard of The Shaggs before.
I'd swear they were the inspiration for The Fall.

Well well well. Funny you should mention light bulb tomfoolery. Last week my main living room one went on the blink. I got by with a couple of lamps til a tall friend had time to come an assist. Only to find that the bayonet bulb had somehow become un-whatever bayonet fittings are when held fast.

How does that happen?

Well well well. Funny you should mention light bulb tomfoolery. Last week my main living room one went on the blink. I got by with a couple of lamps til a tall friend had time to come an assist. Only to find that the bayonet bulb had somehow become un-whatever bayonet fittings are when held fast.

How does that happen?
screw in?

Back