• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean-Themed Albums, Songs & Music

Apologies if this has been put up before. Probably it has.

Quicksand ~ David Bowie

Lyrics:

I'm closer to the Golden Dawn
Immersed in Crowley's uniform Of imagery
I'm living in a silent film
Portraying Himmler's sacred realm Of dream reality
I'm frightened by the total goal
Drawing to the ragged hole
And I ain't got the power anymore
No I ain't got the power anymore

I'm the twisted name on Garbo's eyes
Living proof of Churchill's lies
I'm destiny
I'm torn between the light and dark
Where others see their targets
Divine symmetry
Should I kiss the viper's fang
Or herald loud the death of Man
I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought

[CHORUS]
Don't believe in yourself
Don't deceive with belief
Knowledge comes
with death's release

I'm not a prophet or a stone age man
Just a mortal with the potential of a superman
I'm living on
I'm tethered to the logic of Homo Sapien
Can't take my eyes from the great salvation
Of bullshit faith
If I don't explain what you ought to know
You can tell me all about it on the next Bardo
I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought

[CHORUS]

The Supermen ~ David Bowie

This extra on a reissue is my favourite version.

Lyrics -

When all the world was very young
And mountain magic heavy hung
The supermen would walk in file
Guardians of a loveless isle
And gloomy browed with super-fear
Their tragic endless lives
Could heave nor sigh in solemn, perverse serenity
Wondrous beings chained to life

Strange games they would play then
No death for the perfect men
Life rolls into one for them
So softly a super-god cries

Where all were minds in uni-thought
Powers weird by mystics taught
No pain, no joy, no power too great
Colossal strength to grasp a fate
Where sad-eyed mermen tossed in slumbers
Nightmare dreams no mortal mind could hold
A man would tear his brother's flesh
A chance to die to turn to mold

Far out in the red sky
Far out from the sad eyes
Strange, mad celebration
So softly a super-god cries

Far out in the red sky
Far out from the sad eyes
Strange, mad celebration
So softly a super-god dies

There was a folk ensemble called Red Shift in the 80s, the name is a clue, but their Waves of Tory gives a sense of where they were coming from. I had a ropy cassette copy of their EP Back in the Red back in the day, and thanks to eBay I now have the vinyl. The final track, The Last Dance, is a thing of joy in their rendition, but I can't find it online. There is this, which I don't think is so good even if it is sung by the songwriter himself, but it gives you an idea. Anyway, here are the lyrics:

THE LAST DANCE
by Bob Pegg

They came from the moor in the hour after sunset, past the ruined chapel and the shadow of the mill.
Their clogs struck fire as they rattled down the causeway that leads to the river at the foot of the hill.
We watched behind the windows, stood in open doorways, called them by name but they didn't give a glance.
Nothing could detain them as they ran like the wind to beat their old neighbours to the last dance.

There were farmers with their wives, shepherds with their collies, harvesters with scythes that could cut you to the bone.
There were carters, weavers, butchers waving cleavers; some took a partner, some danced alone.
Then the quarrymen stepped forward, shook the frost from their beards, shouldered their hammers in a military stance,
And each from his pocket pulled a pint of good ale, to drink a ranter's round to the last dance.

Down on the river bank everyone was rocking, except for some Methodists who wouldn't join the fun.
They'd never seen the like before, the dregs of all humanity; Gomorrah could have been no worse; they wondered why they'd come.
So they all took out their Bibles, closed their eyes in meditation, said a little prayer for the sinners as they pranced.
"God send us down a thunderbolt to show your disapproval," they were damned if they were joining in the last dance.

With a terrifying bang, the firmament split open like the Red Sea once had parted at the touch of Moses' rod,
And there, clad in nothing but whiskers and a nightshirt, was the ruler of the Universe, the one and only God.
He said, "Dance, you buggers, dance, or you'll never get to Heaven!" The Methodists were doubtful, but they couldn't take the chance.
So they put their sternest faces on and girded up their loins and went bravely, like martyrs, to the last dance.

Everyone was having fun, especially the Methodists. They shouted "Hallelujah!", threw their Bibles in the air.
Then they stripped off their clothes and jumped in the river, rejoicing that their bodies and their souls had been laid bare;
While the pipers and the drummers and the riflemen and gunners who had last been seen a-waltzing through the red fields of France,
Took aim at the moon and fired a thousand-gun salute for their other companions in the last dance.

In the morning they were gone; the riverbank was empty, except for a Bible and some bottles on a wall.
Some said they'd caught the early train to Bradford or to Manchester; some were in doubt if they'd been there at all.
But I was up at dawn on the hill above the reservoir; the last stragglers waved as they saw me in the distance.
Then tired and exhausted they slipped beneath the water, to sleep—perhaps to dream of the last dance.

New documentary on Zappa to be directed by Alex Winter, Keanu's offsider from the Bill & Ted franchise. According to Zappa's relations, he has the right stuff to make the biodoc. I've always been a fan of Zappa's music and his general outlook on life so I look forward to this.

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/...ced_will_be_directed_by_alex_winter_of_bill_a

The best doco I've seen on him so far has been Baby Snakes because it's the band I grew up listening to - most of these guys were retained until the Sheik Yerbouti album which is the one that got me into his music. Baby Snakes documents his 1977/8 tour / the making of the In New York album.
http://wiki.killuglyradio.com/wiki/Baby_Snakes_(The_Film)

Band:
Bickford's stream of consciousness claymation scenes are gripping, fascinating and startling. I still can't believe what became of Roy Estrada. Anyhooz, here it is. Settle back with a giggle cookie and a long bottle of syruppy red. It's a journey. Enjoy.

Home By The Sea by Genesis

Creeping up the blind side, shimming up the wall
Stealing through the dark of night
Climbing through a window, stepping to the floor
Checking to the left and the right
Picking up the pieces, putting them away
Something doesn't feel quite right

Help me someone, let me out of here
Then out of the dark was suddenly heard
Welcome to the Home by the Sea

Coming out the woodwork, through the open door
Pushing from above and below
Shadows without substance, in the shape of men
Round and down and sideways they go
Adrift without direction, eyes that hold despair
Then as one they sign and they moan

Help us someone, let us out of here
Living here so long undisturbed
Dreaming of the time we were free
So many years ago
Before the time when we first heard

Sit down, sit down
As we relive our lives in what we tell you

Images of sorrow, pictures of delight
Things that go to make up a life
Endless days of summer longer nights of gloom
Waiting for the morning light
Scenes of unimportance like photos in a frame
Things that go to make up a life

Help us someone, let us out of here
Living here so long undisturbed
Dreaming of the time we were free
So many years ago
Before the time when we first heard

Sit down, sit down
Let us relive our lives in what we tell you

Sit down sit down
Cause you won't get away
So with us you will stay
For the rest of your days. so sit down
Let us relive our lives in what we tell you

Songwriters: RUTHERFORD, MICHAEL/COLLINS, PHIL/BANKS, TONY

Stryper will have some strong words to say about this...

Stryper can FRO. But Metal for Jesus... I can dig it. Had a few friends in a xtian metal band in the early 90s. They were pretty good too. Featured in the little known but oft re-read Encyclopaedia of Australian Heavy Metal. The authors peg them as "straight ahead metal like Barren Cross". Enough words:

Barren Cross: Imaginary Music

Aha heres' my boys from 1:10. Covenant. From a distance and shitty audio bootleg-style audio but they were great on the night. Saw them about 3 times at different venues and they rocked out every time. Played in a very short-lived band with the guitarist at my only ever public paid gig. Great fun.

There's a lot of that cutesy stuff coming out of Japan right now. Kinda goth, kinda bubblegum, completely manufactured.

There's a lot of that cutesy stuff coming out of Japan right now. Kinda goth, kinda bubblegum, completely manufactured.

It's JPopMetal actually.

And they've been going since 2010! They must have been in prams!

Anyway, I've just ordered their latest CD...the vinyl is Japan only limited edition and the cheapest I can find is £55 plus delivery - I don't like it that much.

Yet.

Dunno what I did here, soz about that!

Where's the damn delete button?

I love it Carlos although let's be honest, Sique Sigue Sputnik did it better nearly 30 years ago. They were way ahead of their time apart from that orange string bag over Martin Degville's face .. we could have all done without that ...

Haha! Good old Deggers.

SSS can't match those hoovers though. Or the dance moves!

Back