• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Atheism

Hice has also warned that homosexuality “enslaves” people, and has compared being gay to alcoholism, drug addiction, “tendencies to lie,” and “tendencies to be violent.”

Homosexuality includes the freedom to be who you want. Religion enslaves, and can be compared to alcoholism, drug addiction, requires tendencies to lie and, often, be violent.

In spite of appearances, I understand atheism and secularism are on the rise in the States. So, hopefully rants from concerned entities such as Hice represent the death throes of frightened, failing extremists.

16 January 2015 Last updated at 13:01
Tory MP James Arbuthnot reveals pressure to hide atheism

_80316605_80311855.jpg

Mr Arbuthnot is standing down as MP for North East Hampshire next year

There is pressure on Conservative politicians to keep quiet about not being religious, a Tory MP has claimed - as he revealed his atheism for the first time in his 28-year career.
James Arbuthnot said he felt he could only now say that he is an atheist because he is not seeking re-election.
The North East Hampshire MP likened the need to keep quiet to the pressure that has been faced by people who are gay.
His was speaking in a debate on a bill to allow prayers in council meetings.
Mr Arbuthnot predicted that his public acknowledgement that he is "not in the least bit religious" was likely to "disappoint" some of his constituents and family members.

During a Commons debate on a bill which would allow prayers at the start of council meetings, Mr Arbuthnot - a former minister - told MPs he was brought up in a Christian household, having been christened and confirmed.
"But since then I have lost those beliefs and faith that I once had and I am perfectly comfortable with that. But this is the first time I have ever actually acknowledged that in public," he said.
"And it may be true that the pressure on a Conservative politician, particularly of keeping quiet about not being religious, is very similar to the pressure that there has been about keeping quiet about being gay."

"For the avoidance of doubt," he added, "I am not gay either but I just wanted to say that it is telling that it has taken me 28 years in this House, and frankly in the knowledge that I won't be standing in the next election, to make this point."

etc...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30848534

This is a HUGE problem with politicians. Unless particularly brave, they can never reveal their atheism for fear of losing the votes of their more religious constituents.

This is a HUGE problem with politicians. Unless particularly brave, they can never reveal their atheism for fear of losing the votes of their more religious constituents.
Nor their sexuality in some cases, nor probably many of their beliefs or views. In some ways, one has to ask in what way they represent the people, having to sustain this prescribed blandness.

Atheism and Forteana are NOT Incompatible
FEBRUARY 15, 2015 BY MARTIN J. CLEMENS

I get asked on a fairly regular basis how I can be passionate about and spend much of my time studying Forteana, whilst being a baby-eating atheist.

I wanted to take this opportunity to answer this once and for all, and to clear up a few glaring and common misconceptions.

Atheist: noun – A person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings.

It’s a pretty simple definition, but for whatever reason, most people you meet can’t understand it. To lay it out in the simplest terms I can, it means simply that I don’t believe in God (any of them). Now, that isn’t me redefining the word to fit my agenda. That is, in fact, the only thing is has ever meant.

Of course, a lot of people won’t agree with that, but popular opinion has no impact on facts. It really doesn’t matter what anyone wants to project onto the term, regardless of who they are. It still only means I don’t believe in God. ...

https://martinclemens.wordpress.com/2015/02/15/atheism-and-forteana-are-not-incompatible/

On January 14, 2015, a book, by Waleed al Husseini, titled: ‘Blasphemer !’, will be released in Paris. The date that was set in advance, but it so happened that Charlie Hebdo’s cartoonists were slaughtered just a few days before the book launch.

This highlights two facts that many prefer to ignore : on the one hand, the first victims of armed fundamentalist non-state actors and/or of fundamentalist states live in so-called Muslim countries; on the other hand, it is not just in France or in the West that people free themselves from religious beliefs, many agnostics and atheists live in hiding in our countries, or pay the high price for declaring themselves non believers.

Under this flamboyant title ‘Blasphemer !’, the young Palestinian author – age 25 – describes an experience which is shared by more and more youth in North Africa and in the Middle East. Like everywhere else in the world, young people come of age, suffocating and oppressed by religiosity in their family and in their neighbouhood; they refuse to renounce their craving for freedom, the discovery of sexuality, and freely mixing with the world’s youth. They end up rejecting religion, ‘loosing faith’ - if at all they ever had one of their own. Few of them take the pain – as Waleed did - to seriously explore their reasons not to believe in god. ...

http://www.siawi.org/article9089.html

On January 14, 2015, a book, by Waleed al Husseini, titled: ‘Blasphemer !’, will be released in Paris. The date that was set in advance, but it so happened that Charlie Hebdo’s cartoonists were slaughtered just a few days before the book launch.

This highlights two facts that many prefer to ignore : on the one hand, the first victims of armed fundamentalist non-state actors and/or of fundamentalist states live in so-called Muslim countries; on the other hand, it is not just in France or in the West that people free themselves from religious beliefs, many agnostics and atheists live in hiding in our countries, or pay the high price for declaring themselves non believers.

Under this flamboyant title ‘Blasphemer !’, the young Palestinian author – age 25 – describes an experience which is shared by more and more youth in North Africa and in the Middle East. Like everywhere else in the world, young people come of age, suffocating and oppressed by religiosity in their family and in their neighbouhood; they refuse to renounce their craving for freedom, the discovery of sexuality, and freely mixing with the world’s youth. They end up rejecting religion, ‘loosing faith’ - if at all they ever had one of their own. Few of them take the pain – as Waleed did - to seriously explore their reasons not to believe in god. ...

http://www.siawi.org/article9089.html

The majority of Brits are atheist or agnostic, a poll has found, with only 30% of the population describing themselves as religious.

53% of respondents said they were "not religious", though only 13% said they were a "convinced atheist" and the remainder said they "did not know".

The survey, carried out by WIN/Gallup International, questioned 63,898 people around the world (around a thousand per country) creating a ranking of countries by their religiousness.

READ MORE: 7 CHARTS THAT REVEAL THE MOST – AND THE LEAST – RELIGIOUS PEOPLE ACROSS THE WORLD... AND HOW IT IS THE YOUNG WHO ARE THE BIGGEST BELIEVERS
Out of 65 countries, the UK was sixth from bottom, vastly less religious than Thailand (94% religious) and Armenia, Bangladesh, Georgia and Morocco (93%).

The least religious country was found to be China, where only 6% of people say are they are religious with 61% being confirmed atheists ...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...tries-in-the-world-survey-finds-10173589.html

I thought the least religious was Norway. I suppose that's all changed now.

Demographic changes in China? I dunno.

I suspect if you are religious in China you keep it under your hat.

I wonder where superstition factors in to this survey? G.K. Chesterton once said "When you stop believing in God you don't believe in nothing, you start believing in anything," or words to that effect. Was he right?

Third Atheist Blogger murdered in Bangladesh this year.

Bangladesh blogger Ananta Bijoy Das hacked to death

A secular blogger in Bangladesh has been hacked to death in north-eastern Bangladesh in the third such deadly attack since the start of the year, police say.

Ananta Bijoy Das was attacked by a masked gang wielding machetes in the city of Sylhet, reports say.

Mr Das wrote blogs for Mukto-Mona, a website once moderated by Avijit Roy, himself hacked to death in February. ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-32701001

I am Camelia. I write on Facebook and blogs with the name Foring Camelia. I am not sure if I will be able to fully convey to you our situation. Every moment passes with the omnipresent fear of death. Islamic extremists can murder any one of us at any time.

In 2013, when four atheist bloggers were wrongfully arrested due to pressure from extremist Muslims, I protested. They are not criminals, they haven’t done anything wrong, so why were they arrested, remanded and sentenced to serve jail time for nothing but writing? I could not accept such an injustice, and so I took to the streets, placard in hand, and joined a movement to demand their just treatment. I wrote for days demanding their release. It was back then when radical Muslims first targeted me. I fought relentlessly for my friend Subrata Adhikari Shuvo, who writes on the blogs mukto-mona.com, amarblog.com and amrabondhu.com using his own name, “Shubrata Shuvo.”

I have always been very outspoken about the denied rights of wrongfully imprisoned bloggers like him and strived to find lawyers for him, face the media, raise awareness among people and keep his parents safe. The highly popular Bangladeshi newspaper Kaler Kantho wrote a report on me back then, in which they published details about my activism. ...

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...lit-my-throat.html?via=desktop&source=twitter

ANANTA BIJOY DAS has just become the third of three online writers to be set upon and slashed to death in Bangladesh this year. He was 32 years old and, like the two who were murdered before him, he was a “secular” blogger—in the sense that his writing made it plain that he was not in favour of politicised religion. Many other Bangladeshis have been killed on the streets in the past few months, some of them victims of political violence. But the deaths of this trio of bloggers mark a worrying new trend, one that seems to reflect a greater darkness on the political horizon.

All three were science enthusiasts. They were bookish, educated men, poking their heads above the parapet to challenge various religious conventions. Avijit Roy, the first to be killed, was hacked to death on the streets of Dhaka, the capital, while making his way home from a book fair. Roy had moved to America and naturalised there, and came back to Bangladesh to promote a book he had written and titled “Virus of Faith”. The second blogger, Washiqur Rahman, was a 27-year-old who used his status updates on Facebook to make derisive fun of conservative interpretations of Islam. The young men apprehended for his murder were identified quickly as radical Islamists. ...

http://www.economist.com/news/asia/...e-time-while-politicians-look-other-way-third

ANANTA BIJOY DAS has just become the third of three online writers to be set upon and slashed to death in Bangladesh this year. He was 32 years old and, like the two who were murdered before him, he was a “secular” blogger—in the sense that his writing made it plain that he was not in favour of politicised religion. Many other Bangladeshis have been killed on the streets in the past few months, some of them victims of political violence. But the deaths of this trio of bloggers mark a worrying new trend, one that seems to reflect a greater darkness on the political horizon.

All three were science enthusiasts. They were bookish, educated men, poking their heads above the parapet to challenge various religious conventions. Avijit Roy, the first to be killed, was hacked to death on the streets of Dhaka, the capital, while making his way home from a book fair. Roy had moved to America and naturalised there, and came back to Bangladesh to promote a book he had written and titled “Virus of Faith”. The second blogger, Washiqur Rahman, was a 27-year-old who used his status updates on Facebook to make derisive fun of conservative interpretations of Islam. The young men apprehended for his murder were identified quickly as radical Islamists. ...

http://www.economist.com/news/asia/...e-time-while-politicians-look-other-way-third

that is awful

The sound of silence: humanists defy extremists in Dhaka

I am just another Bangladeshi seeking to build his life in this country of 140 millions, going through everyday struggle. Struggle – we have had many and they seem endless. However, the people of Bangladesh (once claimed a top place in the global happiness index) are not used to complaining; they never were. They wish for lives full of peace and dignity. They want to see their country run democratically and justly.

This land and its people were famous for decades for communal harmony and respects for all people of different faiths and beliefs. In the past, beginning from the Pakistani period (Bangladesh was the eastern wing of Pakistan), Bangladeshis stood still against oppression, communalism, and fanaticism. Bullets, tanks, bombs couldn’t stop the freedom loving people of Bangladesh from claiming what is legit, what is right, what is fair. The result was amazing and incredible. Today, 21 February is observed as the international mother language day, owing to the martyrdom the young Bangladeshis embraced. And also, most of all, independence, we won it after spending nine months under occupation, rape and genocide. Three million Bangladeshis sacrificed their lives. Yet, we don’t find it too expensive; freedom, dignity, and respect are always earned at a price. To us, this is what it takes for democracy: religious freedom, freedom of speech, and equal rights for every inhabitants residing in this land. Our original constitution never included a state religion. It championed secularism as the pillar of the newborn state of Bangladesh. ...

http://humanistlife.org.uk/2015/05/11/the-sound-of-silence-humanists-defy-extremists-in-dhaka/

Hello everyone!
I am here new...It is very interesting topic to discuss..
There were many interesting views about this topic.
I may offer my opinion about atheism...I can say that i personally know a man
who is atheist and always confirm that fact, and he love to be such kind of person.
I think that atheism is a denial of God. As i know the word Atheism is originated from
Greek, and it means without God.

Atheism is a lack of belief in god/s. All gods not just the judeo/christian god. Pascal's Wager is flawed as it does not allow for there to be more than one god. Epicurus says it well “Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”

Secular Sunday #182 - Fighting for Freedom || 21 June, 2015
View in browser | Update preferences | Unsubscribe | Forward | Contact us
secsun.115723.png
Spare a thought this Father's Day for Raif Badawi, who cannot see his children because he was arrested three years ago for the supposed crime of setting up a website that allowed discussion of Saudi politics. He is currently serving a barbaric sentence of ten years and one thousand lashes for criticising ideas. We are lucky to live in a country where the maximum punishment for insulting someone's precious beliefs is a fine of €25,000 and is unlikely ever to be applied. But it stifles free speech and allows nations such as Saudi Arabia and Pakistan to point to Ireland as an example of a Western nation that punishes blasphemy.

Amnesty: Free Raif
Petition to Repeal the Irish Blasphemy Law

- Derek Walsh, Editor

Contents

Back Issues
Secular Sunday #181 - Making Progress
Secular Sunday #180 - Regional Growth
Secular Sunday #179 - Equality for Everyone
Archive

http://us6.campaign-archive2.com/?u=4959c4b80f22ad7153b1f03fd&id=8c20e222b4

A Point of View: Does atheism have to be anti-religious?

We tend to understand atheism as a war between religion and science - but in earlier times atheism was both more complex and more rich, says philosopher John Gray.

Among many atheists who differ from the present crop, let's look at two in particular.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Consider the early 19th Century Italian Giacomo Leopardi. Known chiefly for his exquisite verse, Leopardi was also a highly original thinker, who in his Zibaldone - a "hodge-podge of thoughts", some 4,500 handwritten pages long - produced a penetrating analysis of modern life. Brought up in a small hill-town to be a good Catholic by his father, an old-fashioned country nobleman who still wore a sword, Leopardi became an atheist in his teens.

For Leopardi, the universe was made of matter that obeyed physical laws. Humans were animals that had come into the world and acquired self-awareness by chance. Writing before Darwin, he didn't acquire this view of things from science, but from reading the classics and observing the life around him. Leopardi never renounced this uncompromising materialism. But at the same time he defended religion, which he regarded as an illusion that was necessary for human happiness.

If the modern world rejected traditional faiths, Leopardi believed, it would only be to take up others that were more harmful. He was not particularly fond of Christianity, whose claim to be a revelation for all of humankind he believed had led to intolerance. "Man was happier before Christianity," he wrote, "than after it". But the alternative to Christianity, in modern times, was what he called "the barbarism of reason" - secular creeds like Jacobinism in revolutionary France, which aimed to remake the world by force. These political religions would be even more intolerant than Christianity, Leopardi believed, and if you consider the history of the 20th Century, he was surely right.

A quite different type of atheism was the driving force in the life of the essayist and novelist Llewelyn Powys. Born in 1884 as one of 11 children of a Somerset parson, two of whom - John Cowper Powys and Theodore Powys - also became well known writers, Llewelyn rejected the Christianity of his father with a fierce passion. Like Leopardi, he was a convinced materialist. Unlike Leopardi, he believed humankind would on the whole be better off if it renounced religion. But he didn't deny that religion contained something of value. "Sometimes, of an early Sunday morning," he wrote, "I would enter the old grey church to take the sacrament... And as I knelt with bowed head to partake of the beautiful, antique ritual I would try to conceive what inner secret the wild rumour held… I would feel half-inclined to believe also. Why not?"

As Powys saw it, the "wild rumour" of Christianity was like all religion - a response to the fact of mortality. For most of his adult life, he lived with death near at hand. In 1909, he learnt that he was suffering from tuberculosis. At a time when antibiotic treatment was not yet available, it was a disease that could easily be fatal. In fact Powys lived on another 30 years, never free of sickness, but determined to make the best of a life that would always be in danger.

Entering a Swiss sanatorium in 1910 for just over a year, he used his time there to throw off the timid morality in which he had been reared. Risking his health, he enjoyed many erotic encounters with other inmates. In a diary he kept, he recorded a haemorrhage that almost killed him, marking the episode in his own blood. As he wrote later in a memoir of his illness: "Presently, with the pretty egotism of youth, I dipped my fountain pen into the basin at my bedside and scratched a red cross on my diary, a cross such as a tramp might have made who could not sign his name, and yet who wanted to record some important event in his wayfaring." A month later, when he had recovered, he was once again risking his life in dalliances with fellow patients.

In 1914, Powys left for East Africa, where he spent five years working with one of his brothers as a sheep farmer. The harsh realities of life in the bush fortified his brand of atheism. Writing after his return, he declared that Africa "laps up the life-blood of all the delicate illusions that have for so long danced before the eyes of men and made them happy. Truth alone is left alive. What was suspected in Europe is made plain here… the surface is everything, underneath is nothing". He wasn't disconcerted at this discovery. He was clear that human life had no intrinsic meaning or purpose, but that only made him all the more determined to savour the sensation of being alive. As a freelance writer he was never financially secure and often hard-up. But accompanied in later years by his devoted partner Alyse Gregory he travelled widely, visiting the West Indies, Palestine, America and Capri, among other places.

Powys chose to live as a hedonist. Always close to death, he aimed to heighten the sensation of life. He attached as much importance to the contemplation of landscape and wild animals as he did to sexual pleasure. His essays are full of images of natural beauty - a hare drinking from a small pond, fox cubs playing at dawn on the Dorset cliffs. A week before he died of a perforated ulcer in Switzerland in December 1939, he wrote to a friend: "I have had a happy life for half a century in sunshine."
-----------------------------------------------

The two atheists I've discussed were very different from one another. Where Leopardi accepted a godless universe with tranquil resignation, Powys embraced it with exultant joy. But for both of them, religion was much more than an outdated theory. If Leopardi believed religion of one sort or another was beneficial for human happiness, Powys valued religion as a kind of poetry, which fortified the human spirit in the face of death.

But each of these atheists was also very different from most of the unbelievers of recent years. The predominant strand of contemporary unbelief, which aims to convert the world to a scientific view of things, is only one way of living without an idea of God. It's worth looking back to other kinds of atheism, far richer and subtler than the version we're familiar with, that aren't just evangelical religion turned upside down.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34054057

More on page. (And not a mention of RD! ;))

Atheism is a lack of belief in god/s. All gods not just the judeo/christian god. Pascal's Wager is flawed as it does not allow for there to be more than one god. Epicurus says it well “Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”

If he exists and was sufficiently powerful to create the universe, his (or her) moral compass is irrelevant.

I won't trouble to dismantle Epicurus's logic, because I'm not a great believer in the algebraic approach to logic, but the assumption that good and evil are instantly recognisable and separate is unwarranted by history. I put forward Napoleon as an example.

If he exists and was sufficiently powerful to create the universe, his (or her) moral compass is irrelevant.

I won't trouble to dismantle Epicurus's logic, because I'm not a great believer in the algebraic approach to logic, but the assumption that good and evil are instantly recognisable and separate is unwarranted by history. I put forward Napoleon as an example.

An interesting example.

Napoleon was determined to save the gains of the Revolution.

He knew that only he could protect the Republic.

So he made himself Emperor.

At least 12 atheist bloggers have fled Bangladesh after a spate of gruesome killings by Islamists, the Deutsche Welle reports.

Despite Bangladesh's constitutional guarantee of free speech, atheist bloggers fear they will be attacked
All are outspoken atheists and fear they will targeted by extremist Islamists after a hit list of 84 bloggers was pubilshed online.

Four atheist bloggers have died so far this year in Bangladesh where more than 90 per cent of the population is Muslim. However bloggers claim that 100,000 among Bangladesh's population of 160 million are atheist.

Despite Bangladesh's constitutional guarantee of free speech, atheism remains a taboo.

http://www.christiantoday.com/artic...forces.bangladeshi.bloggers.to.flee/64729.htm

An Islamic militant group in Bangladesh has issued a hitlist of secular bloggers, writers and activists around the world, saying they will be killed if its demands are not met.

The list will raise fears that Islamic militant violence within the unstable south Asian country could take on an international dimension.

The targets in the list include nine bloggers based in the UK, seven in Germany, two in the US, one in Canada and one in Sweden. Some are Bangladeshi citizens living overseas. Others are dual nationals or citizens of the western nations.

British jihadis in Bangladesh fanning flames of extremism, says Dhaka
Read more
The list was issued in a statement on the internet by the Ansarullah Bangla Team (ABT), a group that has been blamed for a series of murders of bloggers and activists in Bangladesh over the last 18 months. All those killed have been prominent critics of extremist religious doctrines, especially in Islam.

The acting leader of the ABT and two close associates were arrested earlier this month in Dhaka, the capital of Bangladesh, for their involvement in the murder of a secular blogger earlier this year.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...es-hit-list-of-bloggers-activists-and-writers

Atheistophobia: It’s time to talk about the most persecuted minority in the world
By Aki Muthali

While apologists create mendacious claims of the “New Atheist” threat that is persecuting Muslims – very little attention is given to how atheists have been a persecuted minority for centuries

When I wrote ‘Death to Infidels’ – I had two questions.

“How many more Avijit Roys, Washiqur Rahmans and Ananta Bijoy Das are required before the world accepts the issues with Islam? How much more should the body of proof weigh before society admits Islam is in need of reform in the most desperate way?”

The questions were based on the probability of the answer. So I wasn’t shocked to hear about the murder of Niloy Neel – although I was deeply saddened and I continue to remain in a place where I have no doubt these bloggers are targeted for their critique of Islam.

The Guardian also published details regarding the release of a global Islamist hitlist that vows violence on prominent Islam critics, atheists, secularists, non-Muslims and liberal Muslims. Remember, this is all emerging from Bangladesh – the same Bangladesh Reza Aslan had deceitful described as secular, 100% equal nation to suit his own dishonest narrative – but then again, I don’t expect much integrity from a privileged man living in the comforts of Western secularism while vilifying atheists, secularists and Islam-critics just to protect a cherry picked interpretation of Islamic scripture. As I had previously exposed – Reza Aslan is an apologist for Islamism – because he holds firm in the claim that Islamism is the antidote to Jihadism.

While apologists create mendacious claims of the “New Atheist” threat that is persecuting Muslims – very little attention is given to how atheists have been a persecuted minority for centuries. Both in historical and present-day context – atheists and secularists are scorned and dehumanised by society worldwide. ...

http://nation.com.pk/blogs/27-Sep-2...out-the-most-persecuted-minority-in-the-world

Couple finds sanctuary in Canada to escape killings of writers in Bangladesh

For writer Raihan Abir and his pregnant wife, Samia Hossain, the morning commute by motorcycle meant weaving through the clogged roads and crawling traffic of the Bangladeshi capital, Dhaka – dodging cars, rickshaws and rickety buses crammed with workers.

But there was another reason to constantly scan the road over the hour-long trip: They worried that among the teeming crowds of commuters lurked vicious assassins.

“Whenever we started out of the house,” Samia recalled, “he used to ride the motorcycle and I used to look backward all the time to make sure no one’s following us or going to do anything to us.”

Since February, religious extremists have tightened the net around atheist and secular writers in Bangladesh. They have picked off the young couple’s closest friends in gruesome machete attacks carried out in the street, in the home and in publishing offices – leaving five dead and four others seriously injured.

The victims had been challenging religion in blogs and in books, and Raihan, prominent in that circle, feared he would be next. After dropping Samia off at work, he would often continue on to the university where he was studying, parking his motorcycle but keeping his helmet on despite the 30-degree heat. The attackers – if they did come – would likely use machetes to target the head.

“At least I’ll survive the first attack,” Raihan said.

He thought he could evade the extremists – and salvage his life in a city of more than 15 million people.

He would be wrong.

This is the story of how Raihan and Samia escaped the fate of their friends, and of the Canadians who helped them find safety.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ngs-of-writers-in-bangladesh/article27890972/

Brave people. Putting aside my unresolved feelings about religion's place in society, “Praying won’t help. Doing will” is one of the few slogans I can actually admire at face value for its clarity and honesty.

Back