• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Do Forteans Represent A Particular Social / Personality Profile?

I think even committed sceptics by definition are interested in the subject matter...I think its just inherently interesting to most people because everything from telepathy to hidden monsters suggests a real life equivalent to the magic that fills fairy tales, comic books and movies. Plus the appeal of a mystery, whatever your position, is hard to resist - some from the need to wonder, others from the compulsion to be in on the mundane secret.

It's the Arthur C Clarke "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." that keeps me interested. The admitting that I /don't/ understand everything....

I've had odd things happening since I was very small till after I married, quietened down till after I had my children then happens every now and again.
I used to feel different because the rest of my family were not the same but I've since found cousins and friends who share the same interests.
I think that Fortean Times has opened up a community of people I can share things with.

I think that Fortean Times has opened up a community of people I can share things with.

*passes shortbread and black bun*

I think being a Fortean boils down to a strange blend of being an Observer and like a visitor to Oz, a peeper behind the curtain to see what strings are being pulled to create the magic out there. Unlike scientists, we're happy to dwell in that no man's land between conjecture, speculation and the lab of conclusive proof. We live in a world that is neither black or white... So we're greys I suppose.

In terms of nerds/geeks - I think I am one insofar as I get obsessively interested in things like computers. The other, 'fanboy' meaning I don't have that much time for - I love science fiction but find it rather depressing when people base their whole persona on their love of star trek or video games.

Human interaction does give me Anxiety so I fit that stereotype.

Last edited by a moderator:
When one looks at the subject of football as a socializing occupation you have to remember that in many regions, particularly the working class areas, it is virtually a requirement if you want to have any form of group social life at all.

'Geeks' and 'Nerds' often have more serious things on their minds and really have no time for frivolity.

I suspect that a goodly percentage of the people who rant on incessantly only do so because, if they don't. they will be ostracized form their fellows.

It is a form of indoctrination. Almost a religion. An as in religion , better not be on the wrong side. You can see it in any country. It stops otherwise intelligent people from thinking about what is going on around them.

Imagine a pub where no one talks about football, or the fall-back position of politics. It would be rather quiet.

This same clannish approach that is used to great effect by powerfull people who know how to lead them by the nose for dubious ends. Particularly how to relieve them of their money.

There is a story about a group of friends, back at the start of WW1, who were reported as running down the road kicking a ball amongst themselves as they went to sign up for the Army. Most did not return.

As for Forteans, maybe to be a true Fortean you have to have had some 'odd' experience of your own. Other wise it is just 'Boy's Own' stories.

INT21

I'll take a punt and say:

The typical forum member is fundamentally introvert.
They're probably high in FFM 'Openess' so receptive to new ideas and points of view.
Probably better critical thinkers than average, but may not have started out as such.
Probably low in 'social dominance orientation'.

Last edited:
I'm not what you would consider 'geeky' and am not into sci fi whatsoever, am quite sporty, girly, bit of a party girl
Have been interested in forteana most of my life (of a real life experience kind), almost seemed born into me. However i only discuss this sort of thing with 1 or 2 people in real life who i feel able to or are also into that sort of thing, bit of a closet fortean!

It could also be that, for the average person, nothing of a Fortean nature is going on.

Unless it is drawn to their attention it is just a non-event.

INT21.

The typical forum member is fundamentally introvert.
They're probably high in FFM 'Openess' so receptive to new ideas and points of view.
Probably better critical thinkers than average, but may not have started out as such.
Probably low in 'social dominance orientation'.

That describes me to a `T` (although you might need to describe what FFM stands for).

In recent years I have concluded that I am most likely mildly on the Autism Spectrum. I have not been officially diagnosed - my life situation makes this difficult to arrange - but I have done some online tests that seem to say so, plus the whole idea just joins a lot of dots. I am not sure, however, how or why this relates to Fortean interests - if indeed it does - as it seems to me that an individual on the Aspergic/Autistic scale can have special interests revolving around pretty much anything.

As for `low social dominance` - are we talking Alpha versus Beta here? Well there's a lot of chatter now on the web of a newly identified social group - the Sigmas. As I understand it, these are the quietly non-conforming types who just don't wish to accomodate that hierarchy and are hence neither leaders nor followers, but do look out for the group now and again.

I don't know how much truth there is to this (nor to the whole -rather barbaric -`alpha` versus `beta` dichotomy) - but it's a nice idea, and fits me a bit too.

As for Forteans, maybe to be a true Fortean you have to have had some 'odd' experience of your own. Other wise it is just 'Boy's Own' stories.

INT21

No, this won't do. I myself have had precious few `Fortean` experiences - just some random (apparently) `psychic` type stuff here and there, but nothing that would predispose me towards an interest in the unexplained.

And I am out on a limb with this socially too: in the social circles in which I move (if I can be said to move in any) - and we're talking language teachers - it is fine to forward conspiracy theories (distrust of officialdom is de rigeur) but anything but a passing reference to UFOs and the like is not on. (And,ever the contrarian, I myself am somewhat critical of almost all conspiracy theories).

But you do admit to 'some type psychic stuff here and there' so you are attuned to the idea of 'strangeness'.

If any Forrtean subject comes up in the pub or wherever, I get irked by the instant judgements, the inability to consider different points of view and the general assumption that 'it's all bollocks'. This, to me, separates me from non forteans. I groan inwardly that they sound like the front page of The Sun. A great example was when someone on Facebook had watched a film in praise of James Randhi. I tried to point out that actually, in my opinion, he was an unpleasant little man. I had no desire to tell him that, while not being better than him, had read an awful lot on such subjects over the yesrs. In his arrogance, he had watched a film on him, his intellect was superior and he knew better. I keep my gob shut, but some people's myopic views irk me.

If any Forrtean subject comes up in the pub or wherever, I get irked by the instant judgements, the inability to consider different points of view and the general assumption that 'it's all bollocks'. This, to me, separates me from non forteans. I groan inwardly that they sound like the front page of The Sun. A great example was when someone on Facebook had watched a film in praise of James Randhi. I tried to point out that actually, in my opinion, he was an unpleasant little man. I had no desire to tell him that, while not being better than him, had read an awful lot on such subjects over the yesrs. In his arrogance, he had watched a film on him, his intellect was superior and he knew better. I keep my gob shut, but some people's myopic views irk me.

I might feel a lot of Fortean subject are bollocks-based but they're interesting bollocks. And our reactions to them, and our perceptions around them are also very interesting. In fact this aspect of Forteana draws me in more than the existence/non-existence of the phenomena being claimed.

I find the popular 'mental chewing gum' TV & celeb culture highly boring and it's mostly highly boring bollocks. James Randi wasn't a pleasant personality but he had some interesting stuff to say and present.

Likewise the bollocks documentaries that fill various satellite channels, they're probably full of crap but it's a tad more interesting than Ainsley Harriot dancing a Tango (IMHO).

Remind me not to go to a party at your place.

Oh I dunno, I've been to some fairly 'interesting' parties in my time! All of them still better than the 999 channels of crap on the TV. And Facebook.

It could be argued, and in fact often is, that tv is doing more harm to the nation than sticking pins where pins should not be stuck.

Back