• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

★ ~ The David Bowie Thread ~ ★

edgarwright ‏@edgarwright 23h23 hours ago
A fantastic Bowie anecdote about the making of the 'Ashes To Ashes' video and a mantra for us all.

CY8VJnmUEAAeFAd.jpg

Wonder if they played Ashes to Ashes as he was being cremated?

G'day, Simon. Thanks and welcome to this thread. It's yours, ours and everybody's. Could you give us something of your take on Bowie and what he means to you?

The first time I can remember seeing David Bowie would've been on Top Of The Pops in 1979 performing 'Boys Keep Swinging' with the video of him in drag.
The next time, would've been the following;

It would've been the last thing of the 70s/first thing of the 80s I saw on tv!
It freaked out my 20-year old cousin, who was even in a punk band then!

I think Bowie's influence will grow in the future. There aren't many artists who have really reached out and touched as many people - maybe just Elvis, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Madonna and Michael Jackson.

The only artist I can compare Bowie to now is Kate Bush, someone who takes great care of their art, and totally puts themselves in it.

Space Oddity is one of my favourite Bowie tracks. A song about Major Tom has extra resonance now that Britain has a Major Tim in space, and especially as Bowie died during Tim Peake's mission. This gave the media many opportunities to describe the mission with words from Bowie's lyrics.

As someone once said when Elvis died, "Good Career move"....

Bowie is now selling more music in the USA than he did when he was alive.

edgarwright ‏@edgarwright 23h23 hours ago
A fantastic Bowie anecdote about the making of the 'Ashes To Ashes' video and a mantra for us all.

CY8VJnmUEAAeFAd.jpg
That reminds me of a story I read about in an NME magazine giveaway booklet about John Lennon (and anecdotes about other stars) .. in his final New York years he went into a bar one night and after not getting fawned over, he put an ashtray on his head to get attention. It didn't work so he stopped a barmaid/waitress walking past and said "Don't you know who I am?" .. she replied with "Yeah .. some asshole with an ashtray on his head." ..

Even though Rebel Rebel and DJ are my favorite Bowie songs, it's been Moonage Daydream that's been stuck in my head since he passed away.

My first memory of a Bowie song is Suffragette City blasting on my then-teenage sister's stereo while she would fling me onto the bed (so I could "fly") I was about two, then...or small enough to be flung, anyway. :)

Last time I was this upset about one of my heroes dying some loonie had just shot John Lennon.

The nice thing for those of us who grew up in the 70s is that DB released a new album each year so there was a kind of permanent relevance about him a bit like the Moon or Stonehenge.

I was so proud of the David Bowie t-shirt my Mum bought me when I was around 8 or 9 in the early 70s and all through my life (I am now 51) I have been listening to DB's songs on vinyl, cd and now on my computer.

I don't read music but I taught myself how to play Life on Mars on the piano note by note, chord by chord, line by line from the sheet music for no other reason than I thought it was a beautiful piece of music and by playing it on a piano one somehow participates in it to a much greater degree than a mere listener.

I play David's music to my daughters now they are 5 years and 1 year, my 1 year old daughter tries to dance to Suffragette City while my 5 year old daughter loves the first 3 tracks of Let's Dance.

Let all the children boogie
- I do David.

And I am still very sad it's tough when all the old heroes are dead and the new ones just don't compare.

Bowies best in my opinion "Space Oddity", I am a sucker for the oldies. Both original and standard versions.

I've had 'Loving the Alien' going through my head constantly for the last 3 days - it is now my current earworm.
I found this interesting article, which links it to various religious conspiracy theories:

https://bowiesongs.wordpress.com/2011/12/14/loving-the-alien/

One of these is the idea that Jesus faked his own death:

“Loving the Alien” is Bowie’s last Los Angeles song, as he later admitted. Its lyric is a pulp of a variety of crackpot religious “hidden history” books popular in the Seventies and Eighties—Hugh Schonfield’s The Passover Plot, Baigent, Leigh and Lincoln’s Holy Blood, Holy Grail and, most of all, Donovan Joyce’s The Jesus Scroll, which Bowie mentioned in his interview with Shaar Murray. The common thread of these books (from which Dan Brown cherry-picked conspiracies for his Da Vinci Code) is that the official Christian Gospel is a lie, with Jesus Christ having not died on the cross but having fake-engineered his own death for political reasons (Schonfield) or having lived in obscurity until 80, dying a forgotten mortal (Joyce), his descendents still around today (Baigent –> Brown).

I know it was mentioned on another thread... perhaps this fascination with the idea means that maybe Bowie entertained the notion of faking his own death too? And no, I don't think the Illuminati have to be involved.

Was Bowie a member of any occult groups, I wonder?
Or did he just toy with imagery?

I think it helps to be a teenage girl when you first see Labyrinth, and their tastes are generally looked down on.

Was Bowie a member of any occult groups, I wonder?
Or did he just toy with imagery?
He was purportedly a Thelemite for some time. Tangled with J Page at one point in the 70s. According to one Bowie biographer in 1991, they locked eyes for a significant amount of time. Then David requested he leave by the window 4 storeys up. I suggest this was just an egoistic personality clash rather than a battle of their thelemic druidic forces.

I'm not sure why there'd be any animosity between Page and Bowie. Probably just Alpha males locking horns, or something.

I thought Bowie was a Buddhist? Jo Whiley played an old radio interview she did with him as a tribute a couple of weeks ago and he said his favourite person ever was Buddha.

I think Bowie changed his mind more often than he changed his hairstyle (or his underwear).

I just posted a link on another forum to the animated version of "The Snowman" by Raymond Briggs. And was pleasantly surprised to remember that Mr. Bowie provided the narration.

Last edited:
Back