• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What Do Points Make? Board Trophies & Titles

Jim

Justified & Ancient
What is the nature of Trophy's (they seem to be somehow awarded?) but why and for doing what? How are they related to points.

Thanks,

Jim

It's a pointless system that's best ignored.

You just get points as your post and like total increase up to a current maximum of 113.

They offer no benefit, kudos or status and result in no reward, but if there's any fun to have with them, we'll do our best.

You mean... I can't spend my points at Sainsbury's?

It's just gamification. Lesser forums would use it as a tool to keep people coming back....luckily we have interesting posts and posters to do that, so it is a bit pointless here. It's part of the board software.

It's just gamification. Lesser forums would use it as a tool to keep people coming back....luckily we have interesting posts and posters to do that, so it is a bit pointless here. It's part of the board software.

Those who haven't achieved 113 points will be culled on a certain day.

I may well ditch the trophies. However I have reinstated the member ladder: New Member, Phantom, Yeti, Great Old One and finally Justified and Ancient.

113 Nectar points probably equals about 0.0113p.

Just to be really sad, may I point out that 113 Nectar points would actually be worth 56.5p*, so a lot more valuable than our trophies!

*Based on the standard Sainsburys exchange rate of £5.00 per 1000 points.

I had someone doing a demo of Sharepoint yesterday who said with a completely straight face that 'the gamification of an intranet offers a higher involvement paradigm which directly equates to increased end user job satisfaction'. So there you go, everytime you push a button you get a star, every hundred stars gets you a virtual badge and that will make you happy.

I had someone doing a demo of Sharepoint yesterday who said with a completely straight face that 'the gamification of an intranet offers a higher involvement paradigm which directly equates to increased end user job satisfaction'. So there you go, everytime you push a button you get a star, every hundred stars gets you a virtual badge and that will make you happy.

I would have had an involuntary Creosote reaction on the spot.

Thing is, I have no problem with 'gamification' if it has a genuine physical reward at the end. That will drive people so long as the system isn't in itself gamable and therefore open to fraud, but at least the employee can say 'I worked extra hard and got this Amazon voucher or bronze bust of Rupert Murdoch's booty face' or whatever. What does boil my piss is flogging your guts out to get the 'star performer' virtual badge next to my photo bollocks, akin to McDonlads gold badge stars or more accurately, monkey push button, monkey get banana.

Is Justified and Ancient a new level? I've never noticed it before and now suddenly loads of people seem to have it. Even I have it.

I think it's been given to long-standing members who haven't changed their status in their profiles.

Justified and Ancient was there before, but only for 10,000 posts or more, and everyone who'd hit that had their own custom titles so it didn't kick in. I've dropped the bar down to a thousand now so there'll be a fair few.

Since Stu handed me my own key, I've gradually been getting used to the controls 'behind the curtain' and making notes on which switches, knobs and levers do what. Trophies & Titles were never deeply customised for FTMB, so I've just has a go at updating.

Many users change their titles to their own custom choices, but the defaults for those who do not change are now:

Title / Number of Posts to Qualify

Fresh Blood / Zero
Junior Acolyte / 25
Devoted Cultist / 100
Ephemeral Spectre / 250
Abominable Snowman / 500
Justified & Ancient / 1,000
Antediluvian / 5,000
Beloved of Ra / 10,000
Disciple of Marduk / 25,000
Great Old One / 50,000
Celestial Being / 100,000

Comments and suggestions solicited. I'm now playing with the (really dumb sounding) trophies.

Last edited:
Trophies:

Award Name / Criteria / Trophy Points Gained

De-Lurked / First Post / 1
Known Entity / 30 Posts / 5
Repetitive Phenomenon / 100 Posts / 10
Unexorcisable / 1,000 Posts / 20
Diagnosis: Addiction / 5,000 Posts / 50

On the Radar / First Like / 2
Recurring Spectre / 25 Likes / 10
Local Legend / 100 Likes / 15
Avid Readership / 250 Likes / 20
Font of Wisdom / 500 Likes / 30
Genius Loci / 1,000 Likes / 50
Vital Cog / 5,000 Likes / 50

With Descriptions:

Screen Shot 2017-08-20 at 01.54.04.png

Puzzlingly, not all user profiles have been updated to display the correct number of trophy points.
Some have, some haven't--we'll give it a while and see if it happens automatically.

Any ideas?

Edit: it looks as if you have to log in to 'receive' the awards--several more now updated.

Last edited:
My trophy points were updated twice - once to add 50 points, and a second time to reduce today's bounty to 40 points once you'd revised the points scale. I was actively logged in throughout the period when this occurred.

My trophy points were updated twice - once to add 50 points, and a second time to reduce today's bounty to 40 points once you'd revised the points scale. I was actively logged in throughout the period when this occurred.

Ah, apologies.

So being logged in is enough. I think those members whose tallies have not been updated have not logged in since the changes.

Thanks for the feedback.

Yep - being logged in is apparently all that's required to trigger the update, and modifications to the points specifications will similarly trigger a realtime update for anyone already logged in.

Back