• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
With the aid of a forest ranger and an Ozzie travel writer Sara searches the forest but she is soon submerged in a world of dangerous illusion.

Was she very paranoid and did she bark at the moon?

I'm recommending the original (just in case it's already been remade or something) Sleep Away Camp ... a sort of Friday The 13th thing but with a very warped shock ending which is a spoiler here ..

Fun fact! .. Pamella Springsteen is 'Born In The USA' Bruce Springteen's daughter and played the psycho in the second film .. the road flare up the nose F/X gag kill was a juicy one ..

Last edited:
I think in the current climate the big shock at the end of Sleepaway Camp would now be met with a shrug of the shoulders or at least a bit of sympathy for a confused young person.

The Aural Aesthetics of Ghosts in BBC Ghost Stories – Part 5 (Landscape).
Posted on November 6, 2014 by adamscovell

Natural Diegesis And Aural Interaction With Landscape.
One of M.R. James’ most recognisable writing traits is his emphasis on rural settings. From his own personal experience, of both exploring the churches of France on holiday bike-rides and living and holidaying in Suffolk and Norfolk, the rural landscape became almost as much of a story trope as the fusty, antiquarian scholars that inhabited them. James builds up the landscapes of his various stories using recurring techniques; highlighting their beauty but only in order to distract from the fact that they actually explicitly isolate their main protagonists from general society.

http://celluloidwickerman.com/2014/...ghosts-in-bbc-ghost-stories-part-5-landscape/

The other side of the Door: A US couple live in Mumbai, running an antique business. Their son drowns in a car accident when the mother (Sarah Wayne Callies) only manages to save the daughter, sort of a Sophie's Choice. Their Indian housekeeper offers Sarah one last chance to speak to her son through a series of rituals, the final one taking place in a ruined Hindu Temple. She must not open the door, only speak to her son's spirit through it. But of course she opens it. "Mommy, Oliver is back." 7/10.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3702652/

Last edited:
The Beast Of Yucca Flats! Just who strangled that woman, why and how it connects to the rest of the film is never explained!

The Beast Of Yucca Flats! Just who strangled that woman, why and how it connects to the rest of the film is never explained!
An all time classic!!!!

And the hare at the end wasn't scripted, it just wandered into shot!

Fun fact! .. Pamella Springsteen is 'Born In The USA' Bruce Springteen's daughter and played the psycho in the second film .. the road flare up the nose F/X gag kill was a juicy one ..

She's Bruce's sister. I think I heard she doesn't do the horror convention circuit and doesn't like to talk about the films so getting a signed by her Sleepaway Camp anything is hard to get.

She's Bruce's sister. I think I heard she doesn't do the horror convention circuit and doesn't like to talk about the films so getting a signed by her Sleepaway Camp anything is hard to get.
Shit, you're right sorry, she's his sister LOL .. thanks for the correction. It's a shame she's distancing herself from those films, they were great fun.

Goodnight Mommy: Austrian film. Two boys play around a lakefront house, their mother returns after an accident, her face swathed in bandages. The boys begin to suspect she isn't really their mother. Relations between them and their mother worsen and they decide to tie her up and torture her to get her to prove that shes their mother. Not a film for the squeamish or faint-hearted. There is a twist to it which you may get early on or not until the end, but the evidence is there all along. 8/10.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3086442/

Just a note to Bruce Campbell fans - My Name is Bruce is on Horror Channel tonight.

The other side of the Door: A US couple live in Mumbai, running an antique business. Their son drowns in a car accident when the mother (Sarah Wayne Callies) only manages to save the daughter, sort of a Sophie's Choice. Their Indian housekeeper offers Sarah one last chance to speak to her son through a series of rituals, the final one taking place in a ruined Hundu Temple. She muyst nort open the door, only speak to her son's spirit through it. But of course she opens it. "Mommy, Oliver is back." 7/10.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3702652/

The Mumbai location of this flick is very impressive and the main thing that I took from the film.And it has an awe -inspiring musical score. Otherwise it left me a bit cold - and not in a good way.

It's yet another `jumper` - a film relying on people and shadows suddenly appearing next to the protagonist, together with a jarring noise. (When will this trick start to wear us all out, I wonder?) Another recurring trope that I'm starting to notice - and it's used in this film too- is the one where someone's normal face suddenly screams and becomes (via CGI) elongated and puckered.

And there was a post-colonial appropriation of another culture (Hinduism here) too to act as a kind of voodoo style bogeyman (or am I just being too PC?)

The film left me strangely depressed. Perhaps it just took itself too seriously. I'm not one of those people who thinks that horror should be tongue-in-cheek - far from it, but there should be some room in it for a bit of a wink. (I said wink).

The Mumbai location of this flick is very impressive and the main thing that I took from the film.And it has an awe -inspiring musical score. Otherwise it left me a bit cold - and not in a good way.

It's yet another `jumper` - a film relying on people and shadows suddenly appearing next to the protagonist, together with a jarring noise. (When will this trick start to wear us all out, I wonder?) Another recurring trope that I'm starting to notice - and it's used in this film too- is the one where someone's normal face suddenly screams and becomes (via CGI) elongated and puckered.

And there was a post-colonial appropriation of another culture (Hinduism here) too to act as a kind of voodoo style bogeyman (or am I just being too PC?)

The film left me strangely depressed. Perhaps it just took itself too seriously. I'm not one of those people who thinks that horror should be tongue-in-cheek - far from it, but there should be some room in it for a bit of a wink. (I said wink).

You are being too PC!

The Witch: Intriguing film. Was this about the literal appearance of Satan and actual Witches in thrall to him? Or could it all be the result of ergot contamination of the crops causing hallucinations? I'll be mulling this over for a while to come.

A religious zealot and his family are forced to leave a New England colony in 1638 and set up a homestead on the edge of a forest. A newborn baby disappears while in the care of her adolescent sister. We "see" a witch making off with the infant and sacrificing him but the father insists a wolf was responsible.

More strange occurrences and the blame continues to attach to the the young girl. Echoes of The Crucible here in the behaviour of her two youngest siblings.

Wonderfully filmed in a bleak landscape, with attention to historical detail.The diction and grammar used is that of the 17th century and at times may be difficult to understand. 9/10.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4263482/

Last edited:
This one completely slipped under my radar .. a new horror anthology directed by Kevin Smith called ' THE HOLIDAYS' .. it doesn't look too shoddy either ..

Hmm, interesting. Do you know which holiday Kevin Smith tackles? He's become quite the horror movie maker recently.

Saw a really good little British horror film last night with a great occult story, called The Devil's Business. Roughly it's about 2 hitmen who find an altar and baby sacrifice in the house of their target, a neo-Crowley type figure named Kist.

1379743_10153396011826994_1695692866668402530_n.jpg

Hmm, interesting. Do you know which holiday Kevin Smith tackles? He's become quite the horror movie maker recently.
After re-watching the trailer, we can spot an Easter egg on the floor of a cabin, a Valentine's Day card, a New Years Eve public digital clock countdown shot so I'm going with it's all or most of them ... an interesting concept ... I hope it isn't shit, I've got a collection of anthology VHS horror films so will be looking forward to watching this one.

Saw a really good little British horror film last night with a great occult story, called The Devil's Business. Roughly it's about 2 hitmen who find an altar and baby sacrifice in the house of their target, a neo-Crowley type figure named Kist.

1379743_10153396011826994_1695692866668402530_n.jpg

Yeah, good British Horror,

The Boy

Lauren Cohan (Maggie from The Walking Dead) moves into an English mansion to look after an elderly couples little boy. Turns out he's a porcelain doll, as the real kid's been dead for 20 years!

A little awkward in the set-up, but fairly chilling once it gets going, helped by Daniel (The Texas Chain Saw Massacre) Pearl as cinematographer.

6/10

Sounds a bit like Dead Silence, which I quite like, though it also sounds as if it doesn't have much in the way of humour. Funny how these TV actresses always make a horror movie eventually (or initially), though with Lauren Cohan she's from an actual horror TV show, so she'll be used to it. What accent does she use?

Back