• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
A Thread for Fantasy Films and about time too!

The Huntsman: Winter's War.
Friendly but tetchy Dwarfs, ghastly Goblins and miniature Gollum lookalikes who are nice and helpful. Beautiful production design with great costumes and good acting from Emily Blunt, Jessica Chastain & Charlize Theron. Chris Hemsworth was meh. A prequel and a sequel as the previous film is glossed over with a Seven Years Later screen card. The script and direction lagged a bit but worth seeing.

Oh, the plot? As two evil sisters prepare to conquer the land; two renegades - Eric the Huntsman - who previously aided Snow White in defeating Ravenna, and his forbidden lover, Sara set out to stop them.

6.5/10

Where was the Hawk the Slayer sequel is a more pertinent question, even Beastmaster had two sequels and a TV Series.

Loved the Neverending Story as a kid - bit laughable now, but brings back happy memories of childhood!

Never saw that. It was good?

Well I suppose if you consider Conan the Barbarian the pinnacle of the film maker's art and a masterpiece of cinema then yes Sword and the Sorcerer is good. Not as good as Hawk The Slayer (natch) but better than Conan the Destroyer to put it in a relative context.

And yet The Sword and the Sorcerer never had a sequel at all! That triple-bladed sword was good for a trilogy, surely?

Was that the one where the guy is proper crucified with nails and everything over the banquet table, and then gets down by being strong enough to move his arms to pull the nails out, then picks up his sword and starts fighting again lol :huh::glee:

And yet The Sword and the Sorcerer never had a sequel at all! That triple-bladed sword was good for a trilogy, surely?

loved that film even with the silly sword.

What about Krull anyone?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krull_(film)

images

Was that the one where the guy is proper crucified with nails and everything over the banquet table, and then gets down by being strong enough to move his arms to pull the nails out, then picks up his sword and starts fighting again lol :huh::glee:

Because he is Prince Talon and he can alright???? :mad:

Where was the Hawk the Slayer sequel is a more pertinent question, even Beastmaster had two sequels and a TV Series.

Terry Marcel has been working on a Hawk sequel for, ooh, about thirty years or so. Which means when it's finally released it'll be honed to perfection.

Nice to see some Sword and the Sorcerer appreciation, I used to watch it on STV's late night movie slot, presumably they kept showing it because the naked flesh meant it got good ratings for that time in the schedule. Way more fun than Conan ever was. Although some have a similar liking for Lucio Fulci's Conquest, which I haven't seen yet. Actually, there were loads of these in the 80s, weren't there?

Nice to see some Sword and the Sorcerer appreciation, I used to watch it on STV's late night movie slot, presumably they kept showing it because the naked flesh meant it got good ratings for that time in the schedule. Way more fun than Conan ever was. Although some have a similar liking for Lucio Fulci's Conquest, which I haven't seen yet. Actually, there were loads of these in the 80s, weren't there?

The 80's were a gold mine for films. Thank you VHS and Betamax.

Stop it, I'm getting misty-eyed. Maybe it's all the dry ice in these fantasy films, tho'.

I saw The Sword and the Sorcerer a couple of years ago for the first time since childhood. I liked some of the ideas in it but ultimately didn't find it compelling. Fantasy films are rarely pulled off particularly well. Hawk the Slayer was another that I loved as a kid but seems pretty awful to me now. Among those I still rate are Dragonslayer, Conan the Barbarian, Dragonheart and Jackson's Lord of the Rings. And perhaps the first couple of Shrek films.

Dragonslayer,

As a kid I found the scene where he finds the princess with the baby dragons having chewed off her foot incredibly disturbing. I noticed when they showed it on the telly recently the whole scene was cut, you just never found out what happened to her.

As a kid I found the scene where he finds the princess with the baby dragons having chewed off her foot incredibly disturbing. I noticed when they showed it on the telly recently the whole scene was cut, you just never found out what happened to her.
I've got it on DVD, I'll have to give it a watch to see which version it is. I remember being shocked that the princess died in it. It was pretty dark for something Disney had a hand in.

It was dark for them, it also featured girl at the start getting fried and the priest chappy (played by Ian McDiarmid if I'm not mistaken) getting incinerated while you watched.

I remember seeing that at the Empire theatre in Whitby, the one that I think is still a Boyes store now.

It was well dark for it's time and rating. Also some nice bits of bondage in it too.

I saw The Sword and the Sorcerer a couple of years ago for the first time since childhood. I liked some of the ideas in it but ultimately didn't find it compelling. Fantasy films are rarely pulled off particularly well. Hawk the Slayer was another that I loved as a kid but seems pretty awful to me now. Among those I still rate are Dragonslayer, Conan the Barbarian, Dragonheart and Jackson's Lord of the Rings. And perhaps the first couple of Shrek films.

Be careful what you say about Hawk, Bill Bailey might punch you in the face. One that has a really surprising twist is Yor, Hunter from the Future. Well, it would be surprising if they hadn't given it away in the title.

No relation to Gor, there are two of those films I think. One has Oliver Reed camping it up in leather. Think on that.

No relation to Gor, there are two of those films I think. One has Oliver Reed camping it up in leather. Think on that.
Oh, goodness! I started watching Gor on Netflix a couple of weeks back. I couldn't get through more than about twenty minutes. It plumbs profound levels of awful. Now it sits there on my Continue Watching for Pete list every time I go on Netflix, to remind me of my folly. Worst thing is, just sometimes, a tiny part of me keeps thinking, 'Perhaps I'll watch the rest of that some time, just to see whether it gets any better.'

An interesting list to those of us that have been round long enough to have seen most-all of these films

Oh, goodness! I started watching Gor on Netflix a couple of weeks back. I couldn't get through more than about twenty minutes. It plumbs profound levels of awful. Now it sits there on my Continue Watching for Pete list every time I go on Netflix, to remind me of my folly. Worst thing is, just sometimes, a tiny part of me keeps thinking, 'Perhaps I'll watch the rest of that some time, just to see whether it gets any better.'

I'll save you the bother: no, it doesn't, it's incredibly boring.

An interesting list to those of us that have been round long enough to have seen most-all of these films

I haven't seen most of those films.
I have a bit of an aversion to watching those Japanese films (frankly, they are a bit dumb). :D

I haven't seen most of those films.
I have a bit of an aversion to watching those Japanese films (frankly, they are a bit dumb). :D
Oh they are outright ridiculous, but that's half the fun, the fact that they are sheer nonsense. Tongue and cheek of course.

The BFG trailer:

He looks a bit uncanny valley. Plus Sophie only wears her glasses for about a nanosecond.

Ahh, the BFG! How the Queen kept a straight face, I'll never know!

Back