• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dog-Headed Men (Cynocephali)

M'learned friend will advise you on that matter.

107072.jpg

Sounds like complete bollocks to me.

the dogs bollocks ? that would indeed be a bridge too far !

Saw this print on an episode of The Sopranos: Dog Walker

I'd never heard of William Wegman but will be having a good look now. :lol:

The DHMs and other human monsters are not discussed in detail but hey, as graylien points out, it's odd enough hearing Melvyn Bragg say 'Dogheaded men'. :)

Currently on iPlayer, as part of the Attenborough-fest, is this offering:
Zoo Quest - Zoo Quest to Madagascar: Episode 5

First transmitted in 1961, David Attenborough comes to the end of his expedition having travelled thousands of miles throughout the island of Madagascar.
The principle objective of the expedition is to film and observe the rarest animals of the island and the search continues in the depths of the Madagascan forest.

Geckoes, millipedes and paradise flycatchers are among the animals encountered as Attenborough searches for one of the most legendary animals of Madagascar, the indri. Indris are the largest of all the lemurs and are the creature some believe to be the origin of the "dog-headed man" legend, as recounted by Marco Polo.

Extremely shy animals, only Attenborough's recordings of their weird, deafening wails can entice a family out of hiding, so providing a unique glimpse of these previously unseen primates.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p00db26j/zoo-quest-zoo-quest-to-madagascar-episode-5

Who knows? Could this have been one of the sources of the legend? Decide for yourself!

Currently on iPlayer, as part of the Attenborough-fest, is this offering:
Zoo Quest - Zoo Quest to Madagascar: Episode 5

First transmitted in 1961, David Attenborough comes to the end of his expedition having travelled thousands of miles throughout the island of Madagascar.
The principle objective of the expedition is to film and observe the rarest animals of the island and the search continues in the depths of the Madagascan forest.

Geckoes, millipedes and paradise flycatchers are among the animals encountered as Attenborough searches for one of the most legendary animals of Madagascar, the indri. Indris are the largest of all the lemurs and are the creature some believe to be the origin of the "dog-headed man" legend, as recounted by Marco Polo.

Extremely shy animals, only Attenborough's recordings of their weird, deafening wails can entice a family out of hiding, so providing a unique glimpse of these previously unseen primates.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p00db26j/zoo-quest-zoo-quest-to-madagascar-episode-5

Who knows? Could this have been one of the sources of the legend? Decide for yourself!
Sir David returned to Madagascar years later with an ex-indri hunter called Joseph who now seems to be involved in conservation. He's the guy who usually takes BBC presenters to see indri. I've got several documentaries in which he appears on disk. They get up and close to these shy animals now, and Joseph, who once hunted these animals for bushmeat, now strokes them. I think the documentary is David Attenborough and the Giant Egg, and it includes several pieces of footage from the Zoo Quest programme.

I'm relieved to see that this thread exists. I was spurred today into a flurry of serious research after seeing something unbelievably strange on my way to work not long ago. I made an account just to reply to this thread, because I figured that sharing my experience here would be the best way to go about it.

I live in a suburb of Dayton, Ohio. The area that I live in is not incredibly prosperous-- I work at one of two grocery stores in the middle of a food desert, and the third grocery in our area was recently closed after it lost a ridiculous amount of money over one summer to theft and shoplifting. Needless to say, it's not an especially 'good' part of town. I wouldn't say it's necessarily a bad area, but there's enough crime in this area for me to feel a bit uncomfortable walking to and from work at night. Fortunately, I usually only walk in the day, and have a ride home in the evenings.

I walk on one street to get to my place of work, and it's a rather busy road. There are two bus stops on the street, one on either side of the road.

About a week ago or so, I was walking to work. Mind you, it was about three or four o'clock in the afternoon, 15:00 or 16:00, so the sun was up and it was bright out. Broad daylight, in public, on a busy, busy road. At this time of day, there are lots of people getting on and off of public transit. So, as I was walking down the street, I noticed a man standing at the bus stop on the other side of the road. There were cars passing by, but in between spurts of traffic, I could see him. I'm not one to stare, but I tend to watch the traffic, because I get nervous when walking near a busy road. So I noticed this man, and he was a tall, trim man. He had a rather muscular build, with wide shoulders.

He was dressed in a finely tailored suit. I thought that was a bit unusual, given the area I live in. He looked as though he should have been working downtown in one of the upper scale business buildings, the way he was dressed. But there he stood, at a bus stop, in a dumpy part of town. I watched him as I walked, and he stared right back at me.

I don't know why it took me so long to notice it, but I knew there was something strange about him from the moment I laid eyes upon him, and it wasn't just the suit. I realized as I kept walking, and as he watched me walk, that he had the head of a dog upon his shoulders. I don't mean that he was ugly. I saw something very, very similar to the very first post on this thread. Long, distended neck, a narrow face, pointed ears. A literal dog's head in place of where a human's should have been. For those who may be interested, the head resembled that of a doberman, from what I can recall. Same coloration.

It was impossible to miss, but it took me quite some time to process that I had seen it. For some reason, I brushed it off like it was nothing, and completely forgot about the incident until earlier today. At the time that I saw this man or creature, I was incredibly calm. Now, I am perturbed that I remember this event taking place. Above all else, I'm perturbed that I shrugged it off and forgot about it, as though seeing a dog headed man in the middle of a relatively busy suburb in broad daylight was perfectly normal. How I could have forgotten this incident is absolutely beyond me.

In what little research I've been able to do, I've been often directed to cynocephali stories and mythologies from ancient Europe. Depictions of Anubis and other dog-headed gods also are quite frequent. For a while, the only search results I was getting was the Michigan Dogman and the Ohio Silver Creek Dogman, NEITHER of which sounded like what I had seen. At all. I was worried that there were no other modern sightings (or documentation thereof) of these creatures-- I'm relieved to know that I am not the only one to have witnessed such a strange phenomenon.

I hope that others will continue to post their experiences and sightings of the dog headed men here, if only to form a better archive of information. I'm genuinely afraid to post this experience anywhere else.

Last edited:
Good post!
Very interesting.

Thanks very much... I'll stay posted with any other info I come across. And I'll definitely be keeping my eye out for any more, now that I've seen one in my area. I wonder if they usually stay in one place, or if they move around...

I may have already said it on this thread, but I think they're real (just not from this timeline or universe).
This individual may have been viewing you with as much puzzlement as you were feeling.
Both of you may have randomly passed through a singularity where 2 universes or timelines crossed over/overlapped each other.
Other people who have these experiences also mention a feeling of calmness, like they are in some kind of 'zone' of stillness. Just guessing...maybe that's a product of a time/space distortion?

Honestly, there's not a lot that would surprise me at this point. The calmness I felt was more like an 'Oh yes, this happens all the time' sort of a feeling. As I stated above, I brushed it off and forgot about it like it was nothing, which is part of the puzzlement I'm feeling now.

(Plus, the rush of traffic and lack of anything else abnormal just made it all seem so... not unusual at the time, I suppose.)

I do wonder, though, if he is just as confused now as I am. That's an intriguing and amusing thought. Somewhere, in another universe or on another timeline, a DHM could be writing his own forum post about a strange, mostly hairless biped that he saw on his way to work.

Last edited:
The calmness I felt was more like an 'Oh yes, this happens all the time' sort of a feeling. As I stated above, I brushed it off and forgot about it like it was nothing, which is part of the puzzlement I'm feeling now.

We have a thread on this too, the feeling of calmness when strange thing happen.

That definitely sounds like something worth reading. Could you provide me with a link?

This forum is amazing; I wish I would have found it sooner.

I'm sure I've posted this before, but . . . Be thankful you don't live in Hollywood:

In the cinema magazine Cult Movies (#16, 1995), publisher Buddy Barnett reported: "Ed Wood actor Paul Marco [Kelton the cop in Plan Nine from Outer Space and other movies] has been admitted to the county psychiatric hospital for evaluation. Allegedly, Marco was seeing men with dog heads invading his property.

"Purportedly Marco notified the police department of the situation, but officers were unable to find any dogmen on the premises. Apparently, Marco was taken into custody after a brief altercation with the officers." I'm sure he was simply assisting the police with their inquiries.

As to the phenomenon of seeing/experiencing something totally strange and not thinking it strange: I've come across this most frequently in stories of "phone calls from the dead." People would hear the voice of a deceased relative on the phone, and even hold a conversation with him or her, and only later realize, "Hey! Aunt Lois/Uncle Larry is dead!"

Cripes. That sounds like an incredibly frightening experience. I can barely wrap my head around what I witnessed, let alone how terrifying it must have been to see dog headed trespassers.

It's called the Oz factor, but I'll be darned if I can find the relevant thread with this board's erratic search function.

I thought the Oz Factor was a feeling of being transported to somewhere other-worldly, or the warping of reality brought on by a Fortean phenomenon?

What gets me is about some people experiencing Fortean phenomenon which I find much more interesting than the Oz factor is when a witness sees something so fantastical yet just seem to accept it as being part of the norm.

As in 1807's case the Dogheaded man had some sort of dampening ability to stop 1807 form freaking out, talking to it, grabbing others to see the creature. 1807 says he just sort of accepted it he "brushed it off as if it was nothing".

This is not uncommon, how many times have we read and heard about people seeing something whilst out driving or walking, accepting it and its only when they've processed what they saw get that feeling of shock. "I wish I'd turned the car around and had another look". "I wished I'd gone after it".

The thing is people generally don't go and have another look. Does the phenomenon have the ability to shut down peoples ability to react appropriately by making the experience seem mundane?

That's almost the opposite of the Oz Factor.

Or is it a defense mechanism of the brain, maybe even some sort of primitive survival instinct to keep us safe and not investigating further?

Last edited:
Back