• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Scared Of The Dentist? You Will Be!

The first dentist I went to as a kid was terrible. We always came out crying and with bloody mouths, it put me off for many years.
Now, the only thing I hate about going is a)the rip-off prices and b) the time it uses up.
I actually fell asleep momentarily on the last visit when I was getting a filling, I got worried I might jerk awake and shove my mouth into the drill by accident.

I had pain from 2 teeth, a wisdom tooth and the one next to it which had a filling, i was ready to put my head thro a wall because it was so painful, i was up all night. I got in to see the dentist early in the morning,i told her it was the two teeth at the back, and she said, because i couldnt tell her which tooth was causing the pain she couldnt do anything :eek: she sent me out with, not painkillers, but with antibiotics :eek:
I am not scared of the dentist tho

'Dentist of Horror' goes on trial in France

A man nicknamed the "Dentist of Horror" has gone on trial in France charged of deliberately mutilating the mouths of more than 100 patients.

Dutchman Jacobus van Nierop is accused of taking out healthy teeth and causing horrific injuries to dozens of patients.

Mr van Nierop fled to Canada when suspicions arose, but was later extradited back to France

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35757774

A Dutchman dubbed the “horror dentist” by French media was sentenced to eight years in jail on Tuesday for mutilating patients’ mouths and defrauding social security services.

The verdict was delivered by a court in Nevers, in central France, where local media relayed gory tales, some from old-aged pensioners who spoke of having as many as eight teeth pulled out in one sitting, infections and bills of tens of thousands of euros.

“This is a massive relief. We must be very careful from now on when we get practitioners from abroad,” said Nicole Martin, the head of a group of patients who took legal action against Jacobus Van Nierop, who had fled to Canada but was extradited back to France. ...

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/worl...st-jailed-for-eight-years-in-france-1.2624969

Aylsham man struck off dentists register .. my Mrs was 5 he pulled one of her milk teeth out with out even warning her. The tooth wasn't even loose. He also didn't wear a face mask, when her Mum went to treatment from him, he used to leave all his tools on her chest to use as a table, her Mum says he used to cop a feel .. Stephen Cramp had been practising since 1973 ..

http://www.northnorfolknews.co.uk/news/aylsham_man_struck_off_dentists_register_1_533505

I had the same NHS dentist for over 20 years and was very happy with his caring and sympathetic treatment. A couple of years ago, I realised I'd left it around a year without a checkup and booked an appointment, only to hear that my dentist had taken early retirement. Anyway, I went to see his successor - a South African chap and he was appalling! He wanted to take an x-ray and pushed the x-ray plate so far to the back of my throat that I started gagging and literally couldn't breathe. When I complained (mainly by making retching noises) he threw his hands up and said "I don't think I can treat you if you're going to behave like that!". I left the surgery in despair and started Googling for alternative dentists in the area. In the end, I decided to go private - and found a brilliant English dentist, who took the x-ray and did a root-canal filling with only minimal discomfort. OK so it costs around 50% more, but I reckon it's money well spent to make your visit as pleasant as possible. Maybe it's wrong to generalise, but I would think twice before registering with a non-British dentist, as I have doubts that foreign qualifications are as rigorous as those in the UK. In my local paper, there have been stories of asian dentists practising to a very poor standard and one surgery being closed down.

I've had real problems with dentists for years.
More crap dentists than there are good ones.

I've had real problems with dentists for years.
More crap dentists than there are good ones.
I'm currently finish a third course of antibiotics for a tooth infection because the work one of my dentists did on my bottom right molar was crap and it fell out after a year. I've got to go and see a dental surgeon on the 16th May on the other side of Norwich for a ten minute assessment. I just wished they'd get the bloody tooth out, I've been waiting since before Christmas.

I'm off to get that tooth out at 12:00 today .. I've been offered sedation but I've got some vodka at home so I've turned the sedation offer down .. apparently, they'll inject my gum twice with pain killer and I'll probably need stiches .. the sedation is for nervous people but once you've been through the pain that is kidney stones? forget it! ... even uncle Rynner was knocked out by them he told me so .. today's pain will pale in comparison ... I'm going in with a "I'm Johnny Knoxville and this is the 'tooth pull'" attitude.

I'm off to get that tooth out at 12:00 today .. I've been offered sedation but I've got some vodka at home so I've turned the sedation offer down .. apparently, they'll inject my gum twice with pain killer and I'll probably need stiches .. the sedation is for nervous people but once you've been through the pain that is kidney stones? forget it! ... even uncle Rynner was knocked out by them he told me so .. today's pain will pale in comparison ... I'm going in with a "I'm Johnny Knoxville and this is the 'tooth pull'" attitude.
Good luck.
Hope all goes well.

Good luck.
Hope all goes well.
Thanks man ... and I'm trying hard not to be a dickhead but ... my Mrs has been telling me what Burt said to Jackie who used to know Susie at work who used to wear those shoes that she got from Stacey .. and .. I just don't need that information to benefit me today. I'll apologise to her later.

Ha :) .. I haven't seen that film in ages .. I lucked out Ramon in that I didn't feel a thing although the dentist in question's strong point was clearly not admin because I've just had my prescription for antibiotics refused due to the facts that A: he forgot to sign it and B: the stamp was blurred ... I'll pick up another prescription tomorrow easily enough though. I kept my tooth and it's now in a cup of bleach ready to be put with my weird crap collection outside.

Ha :) .. I haven't seen that film in ages .. I lucked out Ramon in that I didn't feel a thing although the dentist in question's strong point was clearly not admin because I've just had my prescription for antibiotics refused due to the facts that A: he forgot to sign it and B: the stamp was blurred ... I'll pick up another prescription tomorrow easily enough though. I kept my tooth and it's now in a cup of bleach ready to be put with my weird crap collection outside.

Good!

I meant good that you didn't feel a thing!
Yeah, I didn't take your post in a wrong way, no worries mate ... I was just impressed with Monstrosa's swearing athletics X :cool:

edit: and thank you ..

Last edited:
I kept my tooth and it's now in a cup of bleach ready to be put with my weird crap collection outside.

Great news that the procedure went smoothly! It's nice to have weird keepsakes like your own pulled teeth. When my wisdom teeth were removed some years ago I was given two of them to take home. They are now in a box on one of my bookshelves. Before my gallbladder was removed a few years ago, I asked the hospital staff with tongue firmly in cheek if I could take it home to have it bronzed. I told them it might make an interesting piece of abstract art. My request was politely denied. :p

Great news that the procedure went smoothly! It's nice to have weird keepsakes like your own pulled teeth. When my wisdom teeth were removed some years ago I was given two of them to take home. They are now in a box on one of my bookshelves. Before my gallbladder was removed a few years ago, I asked the hospital staff with tongue firmly in cheek if I could take it home to have it bronzed. I told them it might make an interesting piece of abstract art. My request was politely denied. :p
I liked the "bronzed" bit .. :p ... my tooth is ready to be put somewhere ..

Glad to hear it's all over.
Thank you Mytho and it wasn't fun but they did a good job and I didn't feel a thing (are doctors/dentists allowed now allowed to give three injections instead of two into your gums? .. I'm very glad he did but at the same time? .. I think they were 50mg shots ...

Thank you Mytho and it wasn't fun but they did a good job and I didn't feel a thing (are doctors/dentists allowed now allowed to give three injections instead of two into your gums? .. I'm very glad he did but at the same time? .. I think they were 50mg shots ...
No idea.
You're still alive, so I guess it's OK.

Sorry .. my post reply to you is just above the last two

Before my gallbladder was removed a few years ago, I asked the hospital staff with tongue firmly in cheek if I could take it home to have it bronzed.

A bronze casting of an example of that said organ (allegedly...post-ectomy)
88344a6acdbe74ab200f1f10e63d1a56-d3gdoos.jpg

See http://crazyalien8.deviantart.com/art/Bronze-Gallbladder-208910908

It looks rather...important (not in a head-of-goverment way, more in respect of biological bits. But you're still with us, @GingerTabby , so it's clearly not as essential as it looks...)

Back