• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Most Haunted Places In Your Home Town

Judging by the security they seem to need it will be the living that
cause any problems down there.

As far as I know Southend-on-Sea - where I grew up - is one of the _least_ haunted places on Earth.

Seems I'll have to revise that opinion:

http://eerieplace.com/haunted-houses-southend/

http://www.hauntedrooms.co.uk/product/palace-theatre-southend

http://paranormaldatabase.com/hotspots/southend.php

All I can say is I've lived for many years in two places close to Sutton Road and never felt the slightest hint of anything paranormal.

We used to sneak into Priory Park at night for a quiet smoke - never saw or felt a thing. Although the Priory is ancient (1180) and we would have been about 100 yards from this:

http://www.show.me.uk/editorial/1119-anglo-saxon-king-s-burial-site-found

about 25 years before it was discovered. Interestingly the area where it was discovered - an innocent looking grass verge on the A1159 - was known as the Roman Cemetery to locals before any discovery was made.

Monte Cristo, reputedly Australia's most haunted house. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...haunted-house-chilling-encounters-ghosts.html A fascinating place to walk through. I've been there many times. It has never felt particularly eerie to me, but I've only ever been there during the day. My 9 year old refused to go in to one particular room in an outbuilding, we later found out that they used to chain up a retarded child there back in the late 1800's.

I love reading about people who have ghostly experiences. The fact of the matter is I grew up in a family and social group that considered "ghosts" silly superstition. I held that opinion until well into my 30's even though I experienced an ultra weird occurance when I was only about 5 years of age. My parents convinced me I dreamed it all. But I remembered it all these years (over 70) and now I'm not so certain. I can safely say, almost no one believes in ghosts until they, themselves, encounter a ghost. My wife and I rented a old party house on the Tygart River in West Virginia near a small college town called Fairmont. I taught in the college art department for 3 years. The house we rented had belonged to a Mafia don who, along with his girlfriend, were killed in a car accident. Here we met our first ghost. The place was so haunted that my mother had come for a visit, stayed one night (intended to stay a week) and left seeking a motel and begged my wife to leave too. I was away teaching class when this occurred. Both my wife and I and obviously our little schnauzer experienced the paranormal in that house and it was sinister. My wife and I stayed out the year but moved a soon as the year was up. I haven't room here to cover all that happened. But, Yes, we believe in "Ghosts", whatever they might actually be. We live in Ohio now in a house from the 1850"sw which is also strange, but that is a whole different story.

Both my wife and I and obviously our little schnauzer experienced the paranormal in that house and it was sinister. My wife and I stayed out the year but moved a soon as the year was up. I haven't room here to cover all that happened. But, Yes, we believe in "Ghosts", whatever they might actually be. We live in Ohio now in a house from the 1850"sw which is also strange, but that is a whole different story.

'I haven't room here to cover all that happened.'
Yes, yes you do have room. Please feel free to tell us ALL about it. :)

You can take your time but please tell us EVERYTHING. We'd LOVE to hear it.

It al happened so long ago. I did keep a record of it at the time but we have moved several times and I may or may not still have it. I'll try to piece it together from memory as accurately as possible. A local college professor (co-wrker of mine) took down the facts for a book she was writing. Her name was Ruth Ann Musak. Her best known publication was called "The Tell-Tale Lilac Bush". The story of our house was to be in her last book but she died before publication and the owner of the house got the story with drawn from the book. I guess its tough to rent a haunted house in West Virginia. I took a position as an Instructor of Art at Fairmont State College (now university) in 1971; at which time we moved to the area. Being newly married, my wife and I looked for a place to rent. We learned that there was a house fronting the Tygart river for rent only a few miles from the college. We were later to learn the house was a party house used by minor mafia bosses for a get away and relaxation. The house had been renovated from an older dwelling and was quite picturesque in a beautiful setting well away from other people except for an elderly couple who had a house with-in sight. The house had a huge "party" or living room with bedrooms and a kitchen attached. At first nothing unusual happened. My wife, was finishing up her degree at the college so she was home every day, but her classes were three days a week so she did remain, alone, at the house two days a week. I taught classes daily. The road to our rental was gravel, a bit over a mile from the main paved road. Only three residents on the road. I would come home usually in the late afternoon. The first hint of the strange was my wife telling me that she and our schnauzer (Pepper) heard me drive in at least twice but no one was there. She heard a ar pull in the driveway on the gravel but nothing was there. I aid it must have been the people in the next house. She insisted it was way too close for that. Then a day or so later I heard a car drive into our driveway and immediately opened the side door onto the driveway to see had come. There was nothing there. I could see across the way to the other house. There was no one in a car and older gentleman was mowing his lawn. My wife aid the driving in sound was so common she ignored it. Then things started getting a bit more interesting. Pepper was just about 2years old and we had been letting her run loose until she started chewing on the furniture. She seemed to only do it at night. So to save the furniture and other items, I made Pepper a bed in the kitchen where there was nothing for her to get into. A few nights later there was a commotion in the kitchen. We jumped out of bed to see what was going on. Pepper was scared out of her wits, she was pulling the leash that tied her as far as she could and was trying to slip her collar. Both faucets of the kitchen sink were turned on full blast and splashing water every where. I quickly got the water shut off and my wife was trying to calm the dog. There is no way the dog could have turned on those two faucets and what had her scared so bad? We had to move her into our bedroom and place her bed there and hope she didn't chew any thing there. Thankfully, she didn't. In the large party room was a large fireplace. We were told that in the winter we would need to keep it going as the house furnace was insufficient to properly warm the place on really cold days. I had rented a chain saw and had laid in a fair amount of wood to burn. With the onset of winter I did start the fireplace. One afternoon as I came in from outside I noticed a heavy set, dark haired, man in a business suit standing gazing into the fireplace. I was startled, I had heard no car pull in. I started to speak a greeting when the guy just disappeared. My wife came out of the kitchen and inquired as to what was the matter. I told her and we just looked at one another. I guess that was my first sighting of a ghost. As I have said before you never believe in ghosts until you see one. TV reception on the river is really bad; especially back then. Our "neighbors" said only one station was available. I got an antenna and was set to put it up. I processed two pairs of pliers. One really almost useless pair and a better pair. I wanted the good pair. We searched for half and hour for the good pair of pliers but could only find the bad ones. Giving up on finding the good pliers I climbed onto the roof with the bad pair figuring they were better than nothing. Upon reaching the chimney I swung the antenna into position and looking down on the chimney I saw my newer good pair of pliers lying there in the snow, atop he chimney, and they were not covered with snow, but made an impression on the snow. That was the first time I had been on the roof. Where did they come from? Had they been left on the roof they would have been covered with snow and rusty. I'll have to pick up on this more later.

Good tale, but people could read it more easily if you divided it into a few paragraphs, with line breaks between.

It's easy to lose your place in a solid mass of text, but line breaks make 'anchor points' for the eyes. That way the reader is less likely to find himself reading the same sentence twice!

Yup, I break my own posts down into 2-sentence paragraphs. Sometimes a bit jarring but easy to read and keep track of.

Looking forward to chapter 2, Brig. Love it. The fingerprints of authenticity are there to see.

rynner2: I don't write this way, long hand. I just do not know how the properly operate this danged computer. Comes with not having or using a computer much. When I was younger there were only two computers in the U.S. One at Harvard and the other in the U.S. military and they were two stories tall. What do I hit when I want to start a new paragraph?

I wrote a second page but it does not seem to have taken. It had my wife's encounter with a phantom that turned out to be verifiable. I cannot remember where I began page 2. I wonder what happened to it? I'll try to rewrite it.

The village of Hambleton about 4 miles from here is supposed to be haunted by the ghost
of a friendly black dog, I have not seen it but do know 2 others that swear they have,
it walks at the side of people on Carr Lane but when they put there hand down to it
to tell it to go home it as gone.
I wounder if this as anything to do with Jack there is a memorial to him in the river wall
about a mile from there.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ministry/5814285881

Several years ago I had my blog with AOL. For whatever AOL discontinued their service. I order to not lose all I had written I copied everything on the blog befre it went kaput. That blog was 50 or so pages long and I put it in a large manila envelope and stored it someplace on our bookshelf. I wanted to find it as it was written when things were a bit fresher in my mind. It probably contains details I have forgotten over the years. I looked for some time on the lower shelves but could not find the report. I must have stored it on one of the upper shelves and as yet, I "m still to unsteady to climb the library ladder to look. The library has 14 ft ceilings and the book case goes all the way up. The best I can do it relate the happenings as best I remember them and then, later, if I find the old report I can add on if anything seems important.

As I have said, TV at the house on the river was lousy but my wife wanted the "noise" when she was there alone anyway. Of a morning that lone TV station replayed the very same two or three cartoons over and over and over. I learned a lot from my colleagues at the college. The house had been restored and added onto and greatly modified by Paul, a Mafia boss who worked in Pittsburgh and lived in Fairmont. The house was used as a retreat and party house; it was not used during his tenure as a residence. Paul had asked his wife for a divorce several times but she refused for years. Paul had a crush on his long haired blonde and quite striking secretary and Paul' wife knew it. Paul and his secretary often met at the party house. Finally Paul made his wife a deal she couldn't refuse and granted Paul his divorce. When the divorce came through Paul and his secretary celebrated; unfortunately the car they were traveling in met with a terrible accient and both were killed. The house on the river sat empty for several years. Finally Paul's ex-wife decided to rent it. We were the "lucky" renters.

What do I hit when I want to start a new paragraph?
You hit the big 'L' shaped key with a hooked arrow on it (the Return key).

One night, and this was before we knew the history of the house, my wife shook me awake in the middle if the night saying, "Did you see her?" "Did you see her?" You are awaken from a sound sleep you don't immediately become total alert. I did notice a fading light or at least I think I did, on the wall opposite the foot of the bed. "Did I see who?" I said. "I tried to waken you, you wouldn't wake up in time." "There was a woman brushing her long blonde hair at a vanity at the foot of our bed." Not fully awake yet, I stammered, "But there is no vanity there." My wife was fully awake and more was said, I do not remember.

The next day, in the lounge, where the coffee is free after the first cup, I was telling a couple of my colleagues about what had happened the night before. As we talked I noticed a rather dignified older lady kept moving closer and closer to us until they had to make room for her next to me. One of my colleagues said,"I'd like to introduce to you the Fairmont ghost expert, Ms Ruth Ann Musak." The first thing that Ms Musak said to me was, "Your wife just described Paul's secretary. Ms Musak, it turns out, had written several books on West Virginia hauntings. Her best known is "The Tell-tale Lilac Bush". Ms Musak wrote about our experiences in the river house but died before publication. The book was published later but without the chapter on the river house which was removed before publication by guess who?' Pauls Ex-wife had connections. More later

rynner2: What do I hit when I want to start a new paragraph?

Hit Carriage Return for a new line. (CR is marked by an arrow that starts downward and turns left. On my keyboard it's at the RH end of the QUERTY bit.) Hit CR twice to leave a blank line before you start typing again!

Drat! Mytho got there first!

Maybe I'm stupiid. I cannot find either of those keys. I guess I'm going to have to experiment.

Maybe I'm stupiid. I cannot find either of those keys. I guess I'm going to have to experiment.
It's on the right-hand side of the keyboard. Also known as the 'Enter' key:

Enter.png

To continue with what I remember. My father had a medical problem the Parkersburg doctors couldn't handle so they sent him to West Virginia University Medical Center. My mother planned to stay the week he was hospitalized with us. Fairmont is not far from WVU in Moundsville. Whatever spook we had did not like my mother. The night she stayed she called us to the guestroom six times during the night saying someone was pounding on the house outside her window. That had my wife and I totally confused because the guestroom was right next to our bedroom. If someone was pounding on the side of the house we surely would have heard it. The last time we were called to the guestroom my mother said the curtain on the window stood rigid straight out from the wall. It wasn't when we got there. We finally made it through the night and I went to my classes the next morning as usual. When I came home my wife told me my mother had moved to a motel in Fairmont and had begged my wife to come too as the house was dangerous. Needless to say neither my parents nor my wife's parents ever paid us another visit as long as we lived there.
Guess what? To indent for a new paragraph I have to hit the "enter" key. But thanks anyway for trying.
We did have flying squirrels hit the roof in their flights. Why our roof was so popular to the little varmints, I have no idea. The very first night the thumps started we rushed outside to see what was going on and sure enough here one came and thumped down on the roof. They are really rather small and make a surprisingly loud thump for something so little.
I know there was more but that's all I recall at present. my wife and I started out renting in Vienna, WVa. we had no sooky encounters, but it was a newer residence. We moved to Parkersburg and rented the upstairs of a turn of the century two story with an elderly couple downstairs. We had no problems there. Then we rented the house on the river in Fairmont and learned to believe in the paranormal. We finally bought an old house in Canton, Ohio. Not sure of its date of construction but it sat on 15th street NW and was originally a farmhouse. The farm took up most of what is now downtown Canton. It was a two story frame house. We were there several years with no ghostly disturbances. Then we made our final move to this house. A three story Romanesque style brick house built prior to the Civil War. 1857 according to the land office in Cambridge, Ohio. And that is a whole different story.

To continue with what I remember. My father had a medical problem the Parkersburg doctors couldn't handle so they sent him to West Virginia University Medical Center. My mother planned to stay the week he was hospitalized with us. Fairmont is not far from WVU in Moundsville. Whatever spook we had did not like my mother. The night she stayed she called us to the guestroom six times during the night saying someone was pounding on the house outside her window. That had my wife and I totally confused because the guestroom was right next to our bedroom. If someone was pounding on the side of the house we surely would have heard it. The last time we were called to the guestroom my mother said the curtain on the window stood rigid straight out from the wall. It wasn't when we got there. We finally made it through the night and I went to my classes the next morning as usual. When I came home my wife told me my mother had moved to a motel in Fairmont and had begged my wife to come too as the house was dangerous. Needless to say neither my parents nor my wife's parents ever paid us another visit as long as we lived there.
Guess what? To indent for a new paragraph I have to hit the "enter" key. But thanks anyway for trying.
We did have flying squirrels hit the roof in their flights. Why our roof was so popular to the little varmints, I have no idea. The very first night the thumps started we rushed outside to see what was going on and sure enough here one came and thumped down on the roof. They are really rather small and make a surprisingly loud thump for something so little.
I know there was more but that's all I recall at present. my wife and I started out renting in Vienna, WVa. we had no sooky encounters, but it was a newer residence. We moved to Parkersburg and rented the upstairs of a turn of the century two story with an elderly couple downstairs. We had no problems there. Then we rented the house on the river in Fairmont and learned to believe in the paranormal. We finally bought an old house in Canton, Ohio. Not sure of its date of construction but it sat on 15th street NW and was originally a farmhouse. The farm took up most of what is now downtown Canton. It was a two story frame house. We were there several years with no ghostly disturbances. Then we made our final move to this house. A three story Romanesque style brick house built prior to the Civil War. 1857 according to the land office in Cambridge, Ohio. And that is a whole different story.

When I was a level 3 HCA working on the Geoffrey Hodges ward at the Queen's Hospital at Burton On Trent (I think the building has since been demolished) ... we had spooky stuff going on during night shifts. There was one side room that patients kept reporting to us that children were in the room when they were close to dying .. of course we never told them about the repeating pattern because you just don't do that sort of thing but still .. we had a few old ladies either glad of or complaining about the children that would come into their room or even get into bed with them that seemed to provide comfort .. our building was a TB ward decades before we got there .. I remember sitting at the nurses station with my pager and my torch and seeing 'perhaps' figures out of the corner of my eye walking into that room although due to the nature of my work, it was probably just illusion due to my tiredness ..

OK what happened? That last report I made, I used the "enter" key to indent. While I was writing it was indented. When I posted the report it was no longer indented. Do I have a ghost in my computer or what the Sam hill am I doing wrong?
Yes, I saw the picture of the keyboard you posted. Thank-you. Only problem is my keyboard does not look like yours. But using the "enter" key allowed me to indent while I was writing but still posted without the indentation on the forum. Maybe I'm Hexed.

Swifty that is really spooky. Kind of like the rest home that has a cat that always lays beside someone about to die. I can think of only two times that children's ghosts appeared here. Any more details?

If I'm not boring anyone to death I will continue with events since we moved into the 1857 brick. If you don't mind muddling through a lot of blather you can see my journal on this house by going to my blog. I'll give the address in a minute. It has to be exactly correct or it does not come up. Otherwise I'll write a synopsis of the most interesting events later.

Mythopoeika: Yes I did. Many thanks. Only problem is my keyboard does not look like yours but the instructions to use the "enter key, which I do have (just different) did work for writing but not for posting.

My blog is: Strange haunted historic village. I hope it works. If you have the time it is best to flip back to the blog beginning in 2003.

Back