• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Guerrilla Grafting

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
If the more gruesome were hoping for something along the lines of the Batman villian Dollmaker, sorry to dissappoint... just plants.

For now anyway.

There is a group of fruit lovers in San Francisco that practice something known as “guerrilla grafting” – they graft fruit bearing branches onto fruitless, ornamental trees across the Bay Area city. Having access to free fruit sounds like a wonderful idea, considering the number of homeless people who can rarely afford a decent meal, but guerrilla grafting is actually illegal.

http://www.odditycentral.com/news/t...ring-branches-onto-ornamental-city-trees.html

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a recent story about scientists creating a plant which yielded both tomatoes and potatoes. Someone pointed out that this wasn't so amazing as they are both from the same plant family, the Solanaceae, Nightshades.

I wonder if it would be possible to create a tomato plant with poisonous fruits by crossing it with a Deadly Nightshade. It would make a great murder weapon for a detective novel.

There was a recent story about scientists creating a plant which yielded both tomatoes and potatoes. Someone pointed out that this wasn't so amazing as they are both from the same plant family, the Solanaceae, Nightshades.

I wonder if it would be possible to create a tomato plant with poisonous fruits by crossing it with a Deadly Nightshade. It would make a great murder weapon for a detective novel.
tomacco.jpg

There's now a publicly promoted network for guerrilla grafting:

http://www.guerrillagrafters.org

Their website provides resources including a manual and an app that allows grafters to record and retrieve data about specific grafts they've performed.

I remember my Granddad doing tree grafting back when I was a kid.

Ok, bit late but. I used to work with a chap (wonderful bloke, born into absolute poverty in the East End of London,got evacuated to a farm on the Welsh Borders, never went back to his parents, stories he had !!!) who had his own rose nursery. In Autumn he and his two boys would do "budding", grafting a bud of a cultivated variety onto a wild rootstock, in a year or two they'd be ready for sale. Any buds left over one of his boys would graft them onto wild roses growing in hedgerows. So if you saw cultivated roses growing wild, "Ah I see J*****s been here. I still buy my roses there, he took over when his dad died.

"...they graft fruit bearing branches onto fruitless, ornamental trees across the Bay Area city. Having access to free fruit sounds like a wonderful idea, considering the number of homeless people who can rarely afford a decent meal..."

"But the city itself is in trouble. Today, San Francisco hosts an estimated homeless population of 7,500 people. Affluent sections of the city have becomedangerous with open-air drug use, tens of thousands of discarded needles, and, sadly, human feces.

Since 2011, there have been at least 118,352 reported instances of human fecal matter on city streets.

New mayor, London Breed, won election by promising to clean things up. However, conditions are the same or worse. Last year, the number of reports spiked to an all-time high at 28,084. In first quarter 2019, the pace continued with 6,676 instances of human waste in the public way."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adaman...-132562-case-reports-since-2008/#1cad9d645ea5

I don't think that better-fed vagrants are the issue. Assuming that they could even find the fruit, or were inclined to eat it if they did.

maximus otter

Egad, what next! Opium poppies?

Back