• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Crop Circles

The Forests Way, Nr Roydon, Essex, 24th July
Looks a long way from home, this one.
PTessex804.jpg

http://www.cropcircleconnector.com/2016/forestsway/forestsway2016a.html
I used to know some parts of Essex quite well, but I couldn't place Roydon, so I had to look it up on Bing maps. The distinctive waterways and the River Stort shown in the photos made it fairly simple to pin down the site, and that matched with the Grid Reference (396094), which was reassuring!

If you want to get your bearings, look at the sixth picture on the page which shows a marina in (I assume) a flooded quarry. That Marina is NE of the Crop Circle site, and just south of the site is another flooded quarry called Glen Faba. Roydon is about a kilometre east of the site.

Sadly the aerial and Bird's Eye views don't show any evidence of crop circles, but they could have been taken at any time.

Can't say I'm all that impressed with the Forest's Way circle design.....looks a little like the one on the Led Zep cd box which was from over 20 years ago.....must be a relatively new group of circle makers.

I often wonder why people are still making them....just for shits and giggles? I mean....there must be better things to do in England on the weekends than get all sweaty in the middle of the night stamping down crops. o_O

I often wonder why people are still making them....just for shits and giggles? I mean....there must be better things to do in England on the weekends than get all sweaty in the middle of the night stamping down crops. o_O
It may be a competitive sport, conducted in secret and enjoyed only at drunken after-parties by the groups of artists themselves.

Scientific crop circle
I think he's trying to say "Why can't science investigate this truly mysterious event and maintain credibility and funding?".

He does back track on the mystery though when he describes it as a people with magnetrons creating the circles.

Circles created by people walking around in the dark holding a microwave oven on a long power cable with the door open really close to the ground?

"This crop circle can accessed at Ansty PYO and Farm Shop for £5 which includes a beverage."

They seem to be unusually well-prepared to deal with visitors, if this event was unexpected.

I'm unclear, to be honest, if this pattern is cut into a field of grain or stubble. If the latter, then I suppose the visitors are not unwelcome.

Beautiful piece of work......these artists are really getting good at this.

I puzzled over PYO for a while. I see it is Pick Your Own.

Thank you. I will bring my own sores. :cry:

Has anyone here on the forum ever been involved in making a crop design? And if so how was it planned out and done and how long would it take with multiple people to make a design like the recent one posted above?
I can understand the motivations involved in the successful completion of a nice design but I'm curious as to the recent techniques used and how long it would take.

An impressive & sharp formation, and pretty large - probably around 200' diameter.

From the Crop Circle Connector site: it has similarities, though not identical, to the logo for Mothership Glass who make glass bongs / pipes etc & some of the other features resemble those found on their products. The symbols round the edge could imply spelling MOTHERSHIP. Only two of the symbols are repeated [for H]. They haven't claimed to have sponsored it..

From a drone video, it's in a sparsely populated area but is overlooked by a hill. Looks like many hours of work..

I don't know if it's possible the farmer makes more money from charging admission than the crops value. Then again, I believe the crop isn't killed by the flattening but continues growing/ripening.

"This crop circle can accessed at Ansty PYO and Farm Shop for £5 which includes a beverage."

They seem to be unusually well-prepared to deal with visitors, if this event was unexpected.

I'm unclear, to be honest, if this pattern is cut into a field of grain or stubble.

It's in a growing crop, not stubble.
Mothership1.PNG

I'm unclear, to be honest, if this pattern is cut into a field of grain or stubble. If the latter, then I suppose the visitors are not unwelcome.
What kind of beverage....ale...?

:drink:

Just for light relief, a 4m cartoon. In Gaelic, with English sub-titles:

Fraochy Bay

ROFLMAO!!!! well worthy watching to the end for the final line :D

I am still amazed by the detail of these things. I have never seen anything remotely as good created by those who claim circle-maker status. The technology does baffle me, still!

The arrival of this one, in a field that frames it nicely, in a place prepared to welcome visitors, at a time when the farmers were conveniently away, assuring us that the success of their maze . . .

Those aliens seem to want to reward farmers! :p

I asked a few posts back if anyone has ever been involved in making one or know anyone who has...and does anyone know what technique is being used....this can't be just rope and planks.
o_O

It's the logistics that need explaining. What area can a plank flatten in what amount of time? What is the total area flattened? How many stompers are needed? How are they co-ordinated? (Too many would probably get in each other's way.)

These are the sort of questions I'd like answers to.

They probably design the crop circles on computers these days. I really would like there to be a supernatural reason for the appearances of crop circles, but...

After the splendor of the Anstey example I hesitate to ask if anyone saw the "Circle" beside the A36 Dual carriageway connecting the Bristol road and the Globe roundabout in Bath earlier this month?

It was small and low in the wheat field on the out of town side, looked to be a Hydrogen atom- hard to be sure as I only spotted as I was driving on the other side.

We all know that crop circles are made by stomping or rolling around a central pole with a rope attached, but how would you go about making this one from July this year?

The centre is off the tram lines in standing crop & there appears to be no trail into it. At the bottom you can see damage where someone has gone some way into it.

A friend suggested that you could form an equilateral triangle with 3 equal length ropes tied together & stretched tautly across the central circle, secured with poles held by 3 people standing in the flattened part, with another slightly shorter floating rope attached at the same join of these ropes which would be used as the guide to stomp flatten around it. The central non-flattened circle is probably 70-80 ft diameter.

Anyone got an alternative theory?

G0046294bbb.jpg

Drafts

Drafts

Anyone got an alternative theory?
Tie long string/fishing line to drone. Hold string. Have drone fly to point and stay there. Walk around the stationary drone, keeping string relatively taut. You now have a circle without having to send a person who would disturb the formation to the center.

Tie long string/fishing line to drone. Hold string. Have drone fly to point and stay there. Walk around the stationary drone, keeping string relatively taut. You now have a circle without having to send a person who would disturb the formation to the center.

Well it's a theory.

I'm not convinced you'd get a drone powerful enough to remain static in the air with string attached and pulling against it to describe a circle.

Then there are the examples from previous years before drones became readily available..

Back