• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Those darned Moon bases.

...if you were also moving, in such a way as to keep the Moon between you and Earth. (NB, this would not be an orbital movement - you would need a powered spacecraft to maintain such an alignment.)
The Earth/Moon Lagrange L1 point is relatively stable- you'd only need a bit of station-keeping to remain there.

I have only ever seen the the moon as it is, and it's always been a hare[face] - I've never seen it any other way.

Yes. I always thought, not very hard, that tidal forces would keep it fixed on its own axis. But I had a look after you said, and yes it does rotate. Apparently every 27 days or so.

Looks as if we have reached an impasse. Best leave it at that. I do notice a certain 'tetchiness' creeping in.

It seems to be all down to the perception of the meaning of words.

A bit like 'infinity' and 'nothing'.

It all depends upon how you define them.

Anyway, the Moon will still be there next time I look for it.

INT21

I have only ever seen the the moon as it is, and it's always been a hare[face] - I've never seen it any other way.

I think the image the Moon's pareidolia shading suggests to the mind depends which hemisphere on Earth you live in - north or south.

Last edited:
The word "rotate" is pretty unambigious. If the Moon could be described as attached to the Earth by a long stick, then you would also just be able to see the Moon from that side of the Earth.

Xanatic,

Agreed, But if you then rotated the moon about it's polar axis, you would eventually see all of it.

Just imagine the moon spinning around a vertical axis on the end of your stick.

INT21

Mungoman,

Oddly, I've never been able to see a face in the Moon.

And I can see all kinds of things in the hammered glass of my bathroom window and also in curtain pattens.

Just out of curiosity, can members resolve 3d stereograms ?

INT21

Not if it's rotation time matched the time it takes to revolve once around the Earth. Here's a helpful gif:

Tidal_locking_of_the_Moon_with_the_Earth.gif

Thanks, and useful.

I do know what you mean, but I can't explain exactly what I am trying to get at. My problem.

INT21

Ok. I'm going to make one final attempt to use an analogy to describe what I mean. Then I'm going to drop it.

There is an axle going through the Moon. It is not connected to the Moon.

This is the Moon's own polar axis.

You are perched on a seat at the top of the axle looking at the earth which is slowly rotating in front of you on it's own axis, the North.South polar axis.

Ok so far ? Good.

Now, for the Moon to be rotating upon IT'S own axis beneath your seat it would have to turn away from the Earth.

It has to.

I do see what you guys are getting at, honestly.

But if you are looking at the centre of the Earth and nothing below you (On the Moon's surface) is moving relative to your line of vision, How can the Moon be rotating on it's own axis. You are sitting on it.

It may be pedantic, but the Moon is revolving around Earth on it's orbit; But not it's rotating.

Anyway, I am now getting a headache with this. Let's call it enough. I'm not getting across; but thanks anyway.

INT21

Edit to remove incorrect wording. See below.

Last edited:
I think I see what you're getting at.

Rolling in it's orbit? Several other moons in the solar system are also facing the same side to their planet constantly. In the distant future the Earth is expected to do that to the Sun.

Xanatic,

I'm having to make one correction to my last.

Scrub out the word 'rolling'. This may imply an action similar to a wheel rolling around the circumference of a disk.

I'll go back and substitute the word 'revolving'.

Sorry about that. It only dawned on me a few minutes ago.

The new word does not change my argument.

INT21

Revolving is what any object in orbit does.

I think image the Moon's pareidolia shading suggests to the mind depends which hemisphere on Earth you live in - north or south.

G'day BB, it still resembles a human face to many down here, but I see a hare predominantly.

Not if it's rotation time matched the time it takes to revolve once around the Earth. Here's a helpful gif:

Tidal_locking_of_the_Moon_with_the_Earth.gif
G'day Xanatic. I've watched the sky move due to the earths rotation, for example, the Southern Cross rotates so we are able to tell the time as it does, and Scorpio in winter and spring is on it's back before midnight, then becomes right way up after midnight, whereas the moons 'face' is a constant.

I suppose Xan, as it's been said before, it depends on the eye of the beholder...

It depends on the eye of the reference frame. Still, this isn't rocket science.

BBrain,

..but still felt able to talk about aliens on the Moon as if they were a proven fact...

And some even state that there are complete cities and lakes of water there as well.

Makes one wonder about the value of today's education; or some people's logical powers.

INT21
Oh...and I think I know who you are referring to. ;)

Aliens perhaps visiting or even having a base on the moon..,,it's within the realm of possibility as has already been said but I think we would have noticed any obvious above ground structures by now.

Oh...and I think I know who you are referring to. ;)

Aliens perhaps visiting or even having a base on the moon..,,it's within the realm of possibility as has already been said but I think we would have noticed any obvious above ground structures by now.
There has been talk about towers on the surface of the Moon.

..There has been talk about towers on the surface of the Moon...

But not lakes and forests ?

INT21

It depends on the eye of the reference frame. Still, this isn't rocket science...

The reference frame was clearly stated pages ago.

Just to remind people, it was the polar axis of the Moon.

INT21

..There has been talk about towers on the surface of the Moon...

But not lakes and forests ?

INT21
No...I haven't heard anything about lakes and forests on the Moon.

Not that kind of reference frame. Anyways, it has been suggested that the moon has natural underground tunnels, caused by flowing lava. We see such tunnels here on Earth. Both human and alien bases might benefit from making use of such tunnels. Radiation protection, micro-meteorite protection and easy to fill with some kind of atmosphere.

Xanatic,

The same could be said of Mars.

Tunnels offer many advantages.

But if the aliens were there, you would see them coming and going.

INT21

Xanatic,

The same could be said of Mars.

Tunnels offer many advantages.

But if the aliens were there, you would see them coming and going.

INT21

The briefest google search would point to a lot of evidence this may be the case. Whether this is genuine evidence, fabrication or wishful conspiracy is another issue.

Back