• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What Did You Dream Of Last Night?

In one section, some serf-like functionaries were bringing materials out of a cellar for the scrutiny of some courtiers. The objects seemed inert until they brought up something that looked like a brown rug. It turned out to be be a large, seamless bag of chestnut horse-skin. It appeared to contain something alive and kicking though it was impossible to detect any plausible animal shape - the bumps were shifting and changing, occasionally extending into limbs. Despite this movement, we were assured - in the anonymous way information arrives in dreams - that these "blind horses" were inanimate. To demonstrate this, one of the bags was torn open and there was only a brief rush of air from within.

In a subsequent scene, scryers were brought in to read the markings on the inside of the skins. It was the epic of an extinct race but its language was mainly lost. Somebody proposed to turn the grooves into sound-waves so that we could have a more immediate contact with the race.

The dream shifted to a Catholic church, very like the one attached to my infant school. I had - without permission - allowed some visitors into the church and they were playing the organ. Oddly enough, their cars had disappeared from the drive. The Parish Priest arrived - he was very much a Father Ted clone and in a surprisingly good humour, pardoning my trespassers. He was keen to show me a poster of forthcoming events in the parish. Most of them were in bold colours and seemed to be light entertainments. There was, he admitted, a problem with a couple of days which were boring religious stuff. He drew a circle on the poster with his finger and said, "If we drill a hole here, all this terrible stuff will drain away!" :huh:

Triggers? I had, before bedding down been browsing a chapter on leys and dowsing in the old Unexplained part-work. This explained the concept of "blind springs" which are supposed to be blockages of natural energies which bring bad luck. I had also glanced at a chapter about ghost horses, so maybe the weird "blind horses" emerged from that.

The churchy stuff was possibly a hangover from the Hayfield Resurrection of 1745, which I had been researching in the last few days. Certainly the reference to things draining away seems to relate to the horrid tale of a flood in the crypt of a church. A clip of Father Ted was posted on the board very recently.

The two sections were very different but both seemed to refer to cellars and drains. In the first, the written evidence of an extinct race was being disinterred. In the second, the written word appeared to be magically capable of improving the drainage. In the first scene, I was entirely an observer but I played a rôle in the church scene. It may reflect an incident from childhood when I allowed a visitor into my grandmother's house to play on the organ which she was giving away. She arrived home and thought it was the ghost of her husband playing!

Last edited:
I was returning home from a trip abroad with a group. At customs or passport control I made some remark which resulted in all of us being searched. It turned out that half of us were terrorists! (not me!) the terrorists were taken way. I then found out there was a gun in my jacket pocket! It had been planted on me after I was searched. Not by the police because I got out of the airport. I then met up with about 20 of my non-terrorist fellow travelers in a fish & chip shop and we all ordered varying fish with chips.

Also an ex was involved, while she wasn't a terrorist drugs were found on her when she was searched. She was let go so it must have been a small amount. She waa rather annoyed with me as my mouthing off had resulted in the search.

Mate, don't beat yourself up. We've all had to do a little illegal logging from time to time with Sandi Toksvig. Things get hard sometimes, right?

I think you're jealous 'cause I've had a dream about a lady off the telly. If you're going to be flippant I'll not be telling you what happened in the one I had with Claire Balding and Theresa May in it. At the same time. If you know what I mean. ;)

I think you're jealous 'cause I've had a dream about a lady off the telly. If you're going to be flippant I'll not be telling you what happened in the one I had with Claire Balding and Theresa May in it. At the same time. If you know what I mean. ;)
*unzips jeans and waits* .. phwooar !!

Claire Balding and Theresa May

Man, c'mon...I'm eating!

I had a weird dream last night. It involved a bunch of young kids, male and female in some weird dystopian future city. They were good kids but for kicks the used to enter restaurants when they were open and smash them up, terrorising everyone. It seemed like some sort of attack on establishments and people that had a lot more than them. They then graduated to picking fight with adult street gangs. The only criteria was that they would only pick fights with gangs it looked like they had absolutely no chance of winning. So, about 12 little feral kids against a group of 50 hardened adult violent criminals. The kids then fought like savage dervishes.

I wasn't one of the kids but, it was weird, I seemed to flit between their consciousnesses. Weird. Quite fun though.

A rather strange string of events in last night's adventure.

I dreamt that I discovered a dead body in the doorway of a bank. It was number 5 but I couldn't see the street name. I returned to my car and my wife had moved over to the driver's seat so I jumped in the passenger side. I told her to drive closer to the body. As I was calling the police to report the body, she began reversing. I realised she was blindly reversing down a boat launch ramp into a lake. I shouted for her to stop but she got confused and put the car in neutral. She switched off the engine and we rolled backwards into the lake.

The car floated on an even keel and we drifted from the shoreline just as the police answered the phone. I said "I was calling to report a dead body but now we need your help. Our car is floating on the lake and we're going to sink".

I remembered in my dream an episode of Mythbusters (Just a side note to say that I find this interesting. That my dreams recalled a memory) where Adam tries to leave a car which has crashed into a lake. I told my wife that we can't open the doors until the pressure is equalised but we can smash the windows now and escape. The car was still just floating on a perfectly even level.

I pulled an emergency hammer from the glove box (which I actually have) and was about to smash the window when my wife tried starting the engine again. It started and she accelerated a bit. The spinning of the wheels caused forward momentum and we drifted back to the boat ramp. She gunned it as we reached the shore and we went up the ramp.

We got out and as far as I could see, there was no damage to the car at all. Water hadn't even come in under the doors. As we were looking at the car, it grew dark. Evening was upon us and suddenly a man turned up who knew me by name. He asked if I had any smoked fish to sell. I pointed him in the direction of a local fish smokehouse and suggested to my wife that we should buy some Smoked Shrimp.

So we forgot about the car, the near death experience, the police and the dead body and joined the queue at the smoke house. Job done.

The last two nights I've dreamt of a woman with a green ring.
It's rather large and round and I think it's jade. I can't remember who she is or anything else.

I told David Bowie that he'd never really left the 60s behind. He disagreed with me and started playing a CD of one of his recent songs. "That sounds SO 1960s," I told him.

A longish sequence was unusually realistic in events and psychology. I had tripped while staying at a friend's house, sending my towel and toilet-things into the air. All were recovered except for my shaving gel. The dream recorded the hunt for this in tedious detail, especially they way I kept returning to certain places and looking again. I must have returned to the deep cushions of an awful, brown sofa three or four times. The friend remained out of sight but kept up some kind of commentary. The house, cluttered and heavy in furnishings and tablecloths etc. could not have been further removed from his taste! At one point, I dug out a dusty pair of toilet bags which appeared to be the forgotten remains of an earlier visit. The wretched gel - some made-up make I could picture as I hunted - never was found!

Instead the sequence ended with a curious advertisement on a panel television fixed to the wall. This was also dismally realistic and featured a window company* based in Lakeland. The visuals were banal - a large window with buttercup-munching cows. Is someone selling advertising space in my dreams? Well it doesn't work: I could remember the products but not the brands! :p

*I suppose there was a reflexive element in the way the tv was the only window-like feature in a stuffy and confining room.

The last two nights I've dreamt of a woman with a green ring.
It's rather large and round and I think it's jade. I can't remember who she is or anything else.
Don't worry, but next time, tell her she ought to see a doctor before it gets worse. There's bound to be some sort of cream that'll help.

Tom Hanks.

My dreams involving Tom Hanks don't happen all that often but they are always my unconscious mind's Olympic Gold Medal winning dreams, last night offering Robert De Niro in a supporting role as my slightly mad older brother who, although obsessively wearing a rust coloured fisherman's jumper, proved to be a monumentally effective shadchan. The entire shebang, if it were a film, would be directed by Marco Ferreri and the Coen Brothers.

Another episode of the recurring dream in which I go in desperate search of white wine and tobacco in an unfamiliar neighbourhood.

Either the shops I enter have bare shelves, or they're just closing and refuse to serve me.

A couple of times I've actually succeeded in my quest, but I always awake on the long walk home. So I've never tasted dream wine.

That's the saddest thing I've ever heard. :(
Do many of you taste the food, feel the skin, smell the air of your dreams? I ask because of the above and also because I think QI mentioned something about not being able to read in dreams. I can (I claim) read in dreams and I most definitely can touch skin and feel the weight of another person, and carry that sensation through to my waking hours. To the best of my recollection I have never eaten food in a dream but the sensation of touch, smell, taste, of another person (always from a very, very vivid dream), is quite disconcerting in my waking life.

I'm not obsessing (too much) about Tom Hanks (sadly for me, luckily for him, I don't work with film stars!), but surely many of us had those super realistic dreams about someone we know or we work with, that has led to some feeling of discomfort when faced with the object of our dreams in the flesh, in the office (on screen)?!?!

I can't read music in dreams. I've had quite a few unpleasant dreams where I'm in front of an audience and I can't read the music in front of me.

I can (I claim) read in dreams

Given the amount I read, text is certainly under-represented in the dreams I have!

I think most communication in dreams tends to be telepathic - you "understand" this, that or the other. Someone (offstage) tells you something that determines the next scene.

I have had a few dreams recently in which reading has played a part. Both involved lists or menus of events, rather than detailed information. In one, I was studying the tracks on a CD. In the other, I was presented with the events listed on a poster. I can't say the words themselves came entirely into focus but certainly the typefaces and the layouts were a part of the messages of the dreams. :cooll:

Given the amount I read, text is certainly under-represented in the dreams I have!

I think most communication in dreams tends to be telepathic - you "understand" this, that or the other. Someone (offstage) tells you something that determines the next scene.

I have had a few dreams recently in which reading has played a part. Both involved lists or menus of events, rather than detailed information. In one, I was studying the tracks on a CD. In the other, I was presented with the events listed on a poster. I can't say the words themselves came entirely into focus but certainly the typefaces and the layouts were a part of the messages of the dreams. :cooll:
I think the times that I have read in dreams have been restricted to reading a list, possibly the occasional newspaper headline. I certainly haven't had a dream that involves me sitting down and reading a novel. I wish it would; I'd quite like my dream self to read Clarissa because real me can't be bothered!

Dreamt that someone was quite rude to me and I was so offended I actually woke up, but couldn't remember who it was, or what they said to me, which was even more offensive!

Not sure I slept at all last night, but that didn't stop weird ideas and images flitting around my mind. I was quite sick yesterday (not utterly fantastic today, but headed in the right direction), and I've had these strange not-dreams before when I'm ill and trying to nod off - thoughts enter my head, almost like a story, and my subconscious is sure that if only I could put certain pieces together, or perform some task in a certain way, then sleep will come. This is, of course, just as it sounds - total gibberish.

I guess it's some sort of mild delirium. It's not much fun, I know that!

I was travelling by underground train when my carriage detached and coasted to a halt. A small group of us alighted and sat on a bench by a junction to await rescue.

A clattering sound echoed through the tunnel and a shiny brass skeleton wielding a walking stick marched purposefully past.

"There's something you don't see every day," I remarked to my fellow passengers. "A skeleton with a walking stick!"

As I said it, an old woman tottered into view, also leaning on a stick. I felt very embarrassed as I assumed she would think I was talking about her!

The old woman produced a chess set and invited me to play. Much to my annoyance the chessmen looked like little metal mice, and it was virtually impossible to tell them apart.

My companions watched silently as I struggled to set out the pieces. It was most important I win this game.

Last edited:
I dreamt I was in the exotic parrot and macaw cage at the local zoo. I saw a large fluffy rabbit that was bright blue, she was lying on blue eggs so I approached with caution, lay down and just in time to watch one of the eggs hatch. I thought about stealing one of the eggs then realised I wouldn't have a clue how to incubate and hatch a blue rabbit egg. The thing that came out of the egg looked like a slim arrow head with blue fur on its back although this was wet and stuck down. The Mum didn't seem too concerned when this thing slid off through some short grass, soon to be followed by a second one. I thought about stealing one of them but again wouldn't have had a clue how to raise it. Work that one out Freud ! ..

I haven't remembered any of my dreams for a while (besides an odd snippet about hiding in an abandoned warehouse with Nancy Pelosi. :p) Finally, last night a strange and memorable dream.

I dreamed we went to Starbuck's (though it didn't look like any Starbuck's I'd ever seen) and tried to order a pastry. The baristas were very unpleasant though, and kept mocking me, saying they couldn't understand my English. Eventually, they refused to serve me because I was "too stupid". I went to the manager to complain, but the manager started yelling, too. The manager had brassy orange hair and was wearing a red and blue uniform w/white stripes that was definitely not from Starbuck's. It was all very confusing.

Disturbed, I went to my husband and asked what he thought we should do. He was no help, but an elderly male couple came along and said we should visit their house. We agreed and off we went.

The house was perhaps the most unusual structure I've ever dreamed. It was huge. Acres big, probably. Everything was built to create optical illusions, the way the tiles and floorboards were laid out, even the landscaping outdoors was an odd perspective. Basically, the house and grounds were made to look like it was all steep hills and valleys. Corridors seemed to disappear into infinity. It's hard to explain, but it was really mind-bending.

I realized that I'd heard of this house, read articles about it, and many people were desperate to get an invitation to see it. I thought it was something that one moment I'd been refused a pastry at Starbuck's and the next I was at this highly desirable place. I wondered if I deserved to be there, and told myself not to screw it up or do anything wrong.

One of the men collected vintage clothing, and I wandered into a room full of it - tons and tons of this beautiful stuff. I wandered around amazed, but then began to worry that the man would think I was a thief. I became almost paralyzed with this fear, then I woke up.

I suspect this dream has to do with the election somehow - the house and grounds were perhaps inspired by the poll number graphs I see every day, the brassy orange hair = Donald Trump (though the manager didn't look like him) my fear of doing something wrong = negotiating the confusing voting machine the other day, fear of being thought a thief = the constant talk of voter fraud. Don't know who the elderly men represented, though.

There were quite a few people in this dream, but they were all strangers, besides my OH - I didn't recognize a one of them. And why Starbuck's, I don't know - I've never had any trouble at Starbuck's and don't usually think of it one way or another.

Probably all this means is that I spend too much time on Twitter. :rolleyes:

I haven't remembered any of my dreams for a while (besides an odd snippet about hiding in an abandoned warehouse with Nancy Pelosi. :p) Finally, last night a strange and memorable dream.

I dreamed we went to Starbuck's (though it didn't look like any Starbuck's I'd ever seen) and tried to order a pastry. The baristas were very unpleasant though, and kept mocking me, saying they couldn't understand my English. Eventually, they refused to serve me because I was "too stupid". I went to the manager to complain, but the manager started yelling, too. The manager had brassy orange hair and was wearing a red and blue uniform w/white stripes that was definitely not from Starbuck's. It was all very confusing.

Disturbed, I went to my husband and asked what he thought we should do. He was no help, but an elderly male couple came along and said we should visit their house. We agreed and off we went.

The house was perhaps the most unusual structure I've ever dreamed. It was huge. Acres big, probably. Everything was built to create optical illusions, the way the tiles and floorboards were laid out, even the landscaping outdoors was an odd perspective. Basically, the house and grounds were made to look like it was all steep hills and valleys. Corridors seemed to disappear into infinity. It's hard to explain, but it was really mind-bending.

I realized that I'd heard of this house, read articles about it, and many people were desperate to get an invitation to see it. I thought it was something that one moment I'd been refused a pastry at Starbuck's and the next I was at this highly desirable place. I wondered if I deserved to be there, and told myself not to screw it up or do anything wrong.

One of the men collected vintage clothing, and I wandered into a room full of it - tons and tons of this beautiful stuff. I wandered around amazed, but then began to worry that the man would think I was a thief. I became almost paralyzed with this fear, then I woke up.

I suspect this dream has to do with the election somehow - the house and grounds were perhaps inspired by the poll number graphs I see every day, the brassy orange hair = Donald Trump (though the manager didn't look like him) my fear of doing something wrong = negotiating the confusing voting machine the other day, fear of being thought a thief = the constant talk of voter fraud. Don't know who the elderly men represented, though.

There were quite a few people in this dream, but they were all strangers, besides my OH - I didn't recognize a one of them. And why Starbuck's, I don't know - I've never had any trouble at Starbuck's and don't usually think of it one way or another.

Probably all this means is that I spend too much time on Twitter. :rolleyes:

I know that old couple .. Steph and Dom .. lovely people ;)

I dreamt I was in the exotic parrot and macaw cage at the local zoo. I saw a large fluffy rabbit that was bright blue, she was lying on blue eggs so I approached with caution, lay down and just in time to watch one of the eggs hatch. I thought about stealing one of the eggs then realised I wouldn't have a clue how to incubate and hatch a blue rabbit egg. The thing that came out of the egg looked like a slim arrow head with blue fur on its back although this was wet and stuck down. The Mum didn't seem too concerned when this thing slid off through some short grass, soon to be followed by a second one. I thought about stealing one of them but again wouldn't have had a clue how to raise it. Work that one out Freud ! ..
You dreamt that you were a parrot? In a world that contains blue rabbits that lay eggs? What are you on and where can I get some??

EDIT to add: my dream last night involved me sitting on a bus. That was after enough vodka to turn me into a hippy; I need to perk up my life somehow!

I dreamed I was in prison and noticed my cellmate was watching basketball on TV.

"Are you watching those marligans again?" I asked exasperatedly. "What is it with you and the marligan channel?"

I awoke convinced that 'marligan' was a terrible racial epithet meaning Latino, and googled it to check its origin. But apparently it isn't even a word.

Back