• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Walking Dead

Agreed .. It's all gone Star Trek - The Next Generation for me Ringo ... zombie lite .. now I'm just waiting for Whoopie Goldberg to sit everyone down around a table so they can all openly discuss their feelings. The last episode I saw from the new batch had Rick being a vicious bastard which made sense after all he's been through but it's all dragging on a bit now ..
Exactly! ST-TNG is a great analogy. Lots of feelings and "talks" with people snivelling at each other. Whenever they encountered a zombie, it was like it was getting in the way of the sob story. They just dispatched with them so quickly and easily. There was no fear when a zombie turned up.

What was the reaction to this week's episode? Here was the optimism that was lacking in last week's, the reason to go on, but did it make for a bunch of daydreamers since they're still under the thumb of Negan, or was it a positive move?

What was the reaction to this week's episode? Here was the optimism that was lacking in last week's, the reason to go on, but did it make for a bunch of daydreamers since they're still under the thumb of Negan, or was it a positive move?

It was a welcome respite from last weeks unrelenting brutality, and it's moving the story along. You do know what's going to happen, don't you?

Alexandria, Hilltop and The Kingdom unite to topple Negan.

It was a welcome respite from last weeks unrelenting brutality, and it's moving the story along. You do know what's going to happen, don't you?

Alexandria, Hilltop and The Kingdom unite to topple Negan.

You might well be right!

According to Lauren Cohan, Maggie might do that herself, singlehandedly.

Exactly! ST-TNG is a great analogy. Lots of feelings and "talks" with people snivelling at each other. Whenever they encountered a zombie, it was like it was getting in the way of the sob story. They just dispatched with them so quickly and easily. There was no fear when a zombie turned up.
I'm doing some massive back peddling here Ringo but that ' lets kill ******* !' episode ? (next to no zombies involved) .. that was the breath of fresh air that this series needed .. I sort of saw that coming but didn't expect them to actually do it ! ..

Easy Street writer delighted his song's being used for torture
'Exactly how the song got into their hands is a mystery to me'

"I didn't really understand why a show like The Walking Dead would want to use such an upbeat over-the-top, in your face "happy" song but now I understand - to torture someone, of course."

Bianco has no qualms about it being remembered as the song Daryl got tortured to citing its usage as "genius."
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-3-what-is-the-easy-street-song-a7401941.html

It reminded me of Love is Blue used by the mad imprisoning woman in an episode of Millennium.

Sounds weird to say it, but was this week's the comedy episode? It reverted to miseryguts type by the end, but Tara seemed to be getting quite a few flip, irreverent lines. Oh, and don't call her fat. (She is a Scientologist, though, which is disappointing).

Oh, and don't call her fat. (She is a Scientologist, though, which is disappointing).

I must confess, I was watching thinking "you're out scavaging - you're supposed to be starving!", whereas her physique suggests the opposite. Not that I'm suggesting she's fat (post-baby weight, I believe), but it's just another suspension of disbelief that our Alexandria survivors would be carrying any extra weight. That aside, Tara was good fun, but these single thread episodes are getting beyond tedious.

Yeah, she's just had a baby. Apparently the wisdom of the net dictates she should look like Jessica Alba within a couple of weeks of dropping the sprog.

I was more concerned that I thought the character was called Terra until I looked her up. Had the same problem with True Blood. Must be the accent.

Sounds weird to say it, but was this week's the comedy episode? It reverted to miseryguts type by the end, but Tara seemed to be getting quite a few flip, irreverent lines. Oh, and don't call her fat. (She is a Scientologist, though, which is disappointing).

As most of the criticism from the net regarding this season is how miserable it is I wonder if the producers realized it to and tried to lighten things up?

As most of the criticism from the net regarding this season is how miserable it is I wonder if the producers realized it to and tried to lighten things up?

No, all episodes are already filmed, edited and ready for broadcast before the season debut.

I need more scary zombie scenarios and less Coronation Street with this series now .. I can almost hear my pubes grow waiting for something else other than two people discussing tactics inside the edge of a compound..

'That' episode with Glenn was off the scale sick though, kudos to the director of that episode.

It's reminding me of the old 1970s sci-fi series Survivors more with each passing episode, all those attempts to build a society from the ashes of the last one, the clashes with the aggressively self-interested, the potential for arbitrary death, etc. Only with zombies, obvs.

It's reminding me of the old 1970s sci-fi series Survivors more with each passing episode, all those attempts to build a society from the ashes of the last one, the clashes with the aggressively self-interested, the potential for arbitrary death, etc. Only with zombies, obvs.

Did you ever see the 2008 remake of Survivors? Really quite good. At least they both dealt with a post apocalyptic scenario in a more realistic manner. Here we are in TWD two years on (their time), and just in their little pocket of South USA they still seem to have an unlimited supply of petrol/diesel and are still finding tinned goods and medicine. Oh, and the houses have clean running water, etc.

Yeah, I did see the Survivors remake and considered it underrated. It's a cast iron premise, so you have to be pretty inept to mess it up (ahem, The Last Train).

Yeah, I did see the Survivors remake and considered it underrated. It's a cast iron premise, so you have to be pretty inept to mess it up (ahem, The Last Train).

The funny thing about watching the 70s original now is it exemplifies just how we've become accustomed to fast-paced, rapid action drama and storytelling. It moves at a glacial pace which modern audiences could never sit through now. Mind you, plenty of people are accusing TWD of being not dissimilar in pace!

It moves at a glacial pace which modern audiences could never sit through now. Mind you, plenty of people are accusing TWD of being not dissimilar in pace!

I don't mind glacial pace when it's interesting, that episode of TWD when Rick is holed up with that black family and the dead Mum keeps coming back to the house was brilliantly creepy and a slow properly told story .. at the other end of the spectrum, I can't stand the Fast and Furious/Transformers switch your brain off type of films :"Let's just chuck loads of giant explosions and robots and shit in with really fast editing and they won't realise we've served them a turd until they get home *snorts another line of coke*" ..

I turned down watching a new episode of TWD last night for the first time ever, the Mrs quite rightly pointed out ".. well not every episode can be as good as 'that Glenn one' and she's got a good point. I just want more zombies, I don't think that's asking too much in a zombie epic TV series. I loved the sand zombies and the FX make up attention to how they would have all decayed in the same way and at the same rate :cool:

Yeah, the "Negan dip" has become an overplayed hand. Plus he never shuts up. The big question we're running up to is who gets to kill him, it appears.

I. Am. Getting. Tired. Of. Negans. Acting. *Grin widely and lurch back and to the side*

Yeah, the "Negan dip" has become an overplayed hand. Plus he never shuts up. The big question we're running up to is who gets to kill him, it appears.

God I'm glad I'm not the only one and the net is raving that he stealing every scene he's in. Just can't see it he is just far to hammy.

God I'm glad I'm not the only one and the net is raving that he stealing every scene he's in. Just can't see it he is just far to hammy.

Morgan can be a damn good actor, but he's just been given the same thing to do over and over in this role, and it looks like he's on autopilot even if he isn't.

Morgan can be a damn good actor, but he's just been given the same thing to do over and over in this role, and it looks like he's on autopilot even if he isn't.

I'm going to struggle to watch him in anything else in the future. You look at Peter Vaughan who to an extent played a fair few grumpy or menacing roles but pulled it off effortlessly.

It possibly is the writing, but I'll always going to see Morgan as the face that stopped me watching The Walking Dead.

I've read the Walking Dead and I'm up to Issue 17 where they first meet Negan so I know the show is sticking to the comic pretty well.

Maybe they need to deviate from it as I'm finding the comic a tad boring as well.

The big question we're running up to is who gets to kill him, it appears.

I don't think they do kill him - Just hold him prisoner for a long time. If he does get killed it'll be by Maggie.

Allegedly they've gone way over budget this season because Jeffrey Dean Morgan keeps chewing up the sets :evil:.

I don't think they do kill him - Just hold him prisoner for a long time. If he does get killed it'll be by Maggie.

Allegedly they've gone way over budget this season because Jeffrey Dean Morgan keeps chewing up the sets :evil:.
If he does get killed (and we all know he will be), I seriously hope it's that character that gets to do it.

Back