• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Blood Of St. Januarius / San Gennaro (Liquidness As Omen)

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
The dried blood of Saint Januarius failed to liquefy in a ceremony in Naples, Italy, on Saturday, according to a report in Italy's La Stampa, heralding disaster for next year.

Monsignor Vincenzo De Gregorio, the abbot of the chapel, said: "We must not think about disasters and calamities. We are men of faith, and we must continue to pray."

The ceremony of the blood of Saint Januarius, or San Gennaro, is performed several times a year. The blood is kept in special ampules and liquifies during the ceremony.

The miracle has been regularly recorded since 1389. San Gennaro was bishop of Naples in the third century and was beheaded in the persecution of early Christians by Roman Emperor Diocletian, who killed about 3,500 Christians.

If the miracle of liquefaction fails to occur, it can herald disaster for the coming months and years.

The blood failed to become liquid in 1939, the year in which World War II started, and in 1980, the year of the Irpinia earthquake, according to the Stampa report.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...od-miracle-naples-disaster-2017-a7484946.html

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/news/2016/12/19/bloody-of-st-januarius-fails-to-liquefy/
The blood of St Januarius has failed to liquefy at the expected time prompting concerns about what it might signify.

St Januarius was a Bishop of Naples who is believed to have been martyred around the year 305 during the Diocletian persecution.

His blood is kept in a sealed glass ampoule in Naples Cathedral and traditionally liquefies three times a year: on September 19, December 16 and the Saturday before the first Sunday of May.

But during Mass at the Royal Chapel at Naples Cathedral on Friday, the Abbot of the Chapel, Monsignor Vincenzo De Gregorio, revealed that the blood had failed to become liquid, according to reports.

The Abbot asked the faithful to keep praying while waiting but by 7.15pm, the vial was returned to the shrine, “undoubtedly solid,” as stated by Abbot Vincenzo.

Before ending the ritual, he said: “We shouldn’t think of tragedies and calamities. We are men of faith and we must keep on praying.”

As far as many people of Naples are concerned, the blood remaining solid can be a premonition of evil.

The same things happened in 1980, when a earthquake hit South Italy; 1973, when Naples endured an outbreak of cholera; 1939, when World War II began; 1940, when Italy joined the War and 1943, when Italy was occupied by the Nazis.

Down with this sort of thing! .. maybe their microwave is on the blink ?

Don't know about you lot, but I'm very tired of people writing us all off by predicting the end of the world. I suppose they have to be right eventually, but they've been doing it for thousands of years and haven't got it right yet.

Don't know about you lot, but I'm very tired of people writing us all off by predicting the end of the world. I suppose they have to be right eventually, but they've been doing it for thousands of years and haven't got it right yet.

It does tell us something about the human attraction (addiction?) to apocalyptic scenarios, though.

If we didn't have predictions of doom and destruction, the Daily Express would have nothing to print...which may not be a bad thing :D

I guess apocalyptic scenarios are a sublimation of our terror of our own death. Death is a personal event whereas the apocalypse is at least shared with others. In the apocalypse, the universe doesn't just end for us but for everyone.

As for St Januarius, apparently he was thrown to wild bears but the bears refused to eat him. I'm always interested when bears get involved with stuff. Not sure what any of it signifies though.

That would suggest that Jesus invented bicycles, or was at least an early adopter.
It's all true .. then he lent his bike to Danny from Scotland.. how else can you explain the majesty of this video work .. try it yourself then get back to me on that question. G.O.D. security .. aka Good Order & Discipline :cool:

Last edited:
It's all true .. then he lent his bike to Danny from Scotland.. how else can you explain the majesty of this video work .. try it yourself then get back to me on that question. G.O.D. security .. aka Good Order & Discipline :cool:

meanwhile, he's wearing a bash hat - I mean, what's the worst that can happen Danny!

Bears usually had a good appetite in the Bible. Take this delightful story about Elisha in the Second Book of Kings, Chapter 2, verses 23 to 25:

"23 Then he went up from there to Bethel; and as he was going up by the way, young lads came out from the city and mocked him and said to him, “Go up, you baldhead; go up, you baldhead!” 24 When he looked behind him and saw them, he cursed them in the name of the LORD. Then two female bears came out of the woods and tore up forty-two lads of their number. 25 And he went from there to Mount Carmel, and from there he returned to Samaria."

Bears seem to have been on the side of the prophets and the saints. I am impressed by two things especially in the tale above: the ability of the witness to number exactly how many lads were torn to shreds and his/her ability to determine the gender of the ursine ones. Meanwhile, I think we all know what the lady-bears were doing in the woods! :cooll:

Wait a minute, is nobody going to ask the obvious questions here? Namely what's the deal with this seemingly ancient 'blood' that apparently changes state according with a timetable? And a human being capable of rational thought - and able to hold down a job as a bishop - is stating that this clearly means we're in for a rough year? I know Catholicism has some wacky notions but really? They're no better than druid sun worshippers trying to divine the meaning of an eclipse.

Well the fact it does indeed generally liquefy on specific dates is surely a genuinely curious thing.. the usual non paranormal explanation is that its been shook up to make it happen...but the fact it sometimes doesn't happen would appear to undermine that assumption (or at least that the act of shaking it is in anyway a reliable cheat).

The association with negative events, based on the examples given, seems to be largely local rather than global and makes no mention of doomsday.

I think most, or at least many, of us react differently to "fortean" phenomena or claims which have a religious aspect to them than similar ones which don't, but I don't see why its justified to do that. If the whole angels, demons and religous rules stuff makes me feel icky or uncomfortable, I just discard that aspect and take an interest in the curious nature of the phenomenon itself.

Last edited:
the usual non paranormal explanation is that its been shook up to make it happen...but the fact it sometimes doesn't happen would appear to undermine that assumption (or at least that the act of shaking it is in anyway a reliable cheat).

No, the people in charge wouldn't want it shaken every time as that'd take away the element of suspense. Also, if it never failed to occur the faithful might think they'd always been good and that would never do.

As a Catholic sprog, I can remember being told of this blood-miracle, along with many others.

Fear of it not liquifying seemed remote and impersonal compared with the notion of the Guardian Angel peeping over our shoulders!

I wrote that first as "peeing over our shoulders!" - now there's a liquid miracle! :eek:

I don't really know what to do to make this right. Will ten Hail Mary's do? No? Ah well, I'll just put on another Deicide album and wait for the End.

Or they say it liquefies on specific dates...

The claim is that it liquefies on or around 3 particular times per year. However, it's been known to liquefy at times other than the 'official' ones, in addition to not liquefying at the official / expected times. The latter is incorporated as part of the legend; the former is rarely mentioned.

Back