• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Kevin Smith's Films

It's kind of sweet how dedicated Smith is to making his daughter a movie star, but Will Smith tried it with his son and look how horribly that turned out.

I've never written a film review before and I'm not planning on writing another one ... I love Kevin Smith films, I've bought T shirts, his inaction figure toys, posters VHS and DVDs .... so I was looking forward to watching his film TUSK .. there will be SPOILERS

TUSK details a hipster internet guy played by that bloke who was in Jeepers Creepers but for no reason he has a moustache in this ... he goes to Canada to interview someone for his internet podcast show but finds out the bloke has died .. we find this out because when he arrives, the family are weeping at the funeral but all surrounded by a wheel chair with a framed picture of the bloke he was going to interview .. I'm not making this up ..

Our hero goes for a drink in a local bar and finds a hand written letter in the mens toilet ... so obviously, he decides to chase it up (as you would), turns up at the mans house, gets drugged through a cup of tea (I'm still not making this up .. tea .. in Canada) and to cut a long story short, he gets turned into a human walrus, Human Centipede style ... the team tracking his whereabouts are his girlfriend who's decided in the three days that he's been missing to screw his best mate, the child actor who 'saw dead people' but's now grown up and has a hipster beard ..

Last edited:
Human walrus?
Yep .. I expect Kevin couldn't afford our hero actor for all of the film so we get a Jabba The Hut bloke in a walrus suit for most of the second half .. I wanted to love it but ............... no.

.. it started off well enough and then turned into a mess ... I hate slagging off Kevin Smith but he needs to lay off the bong for a while .. his wife, Jenny Swalbach has a cameo in this and even she looked bored ..

Here you go ... torture scenes are all about MISERY, THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE, THE HUMAN CENTIPEDE .. and a few other references you might spot along the way ...

Tusk was inspired by this Brighton Argus story....

"An advert offering free rent in a house in Brighton in exchange for dressing as a walrus has gone viral online.

The ad on Gumtree offers a double room overlooking Queen's Park in Brighton for absolutely no rent.

The drawback is whoever takes the room must dress like a walrus, and act like one, for two hours a day..."

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/10480142.Would_you_dress_as_a_walrus_for_free_rent_in_Brighton_/

"A bizarre online advert offering free lodgings in Brighton for anyone willing to dress as a walrus is to be made into a Hollywood film.

Legendary director Kevin Smith, who is best known for his Jay and Silent Bob movies, announced he is to shoot the movie Tusk in Los Angeles after seeing the advert.

The notification, offering free rent on a double room overlooking Queen's Park, was removed by Gumtree after it went viral last month.

But it caught Smith's attention and a hastily written script was sent to production companies..."

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1057..._made_into_Kevin_Smith_Hollywood_film/?ref=mr

...and http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1059..._Gumtree_ad_to_be_turned_into_Hollywood_film/

Tusk was inspired by this Brighton Argus story....

"An advert offering free rent in a house in Brighton in exchange for dressing as a walrus has gone viral online.

The ad on Gumtree offers a double room overlooking Queen's Park in Brighton for absolutely no rent.

The drawback is whoever takes the room must dress like a walrus, and act like one, for two hours a day..."

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/10480142.Would_you_dress_as_a_walrus_for_free_rent_in_Brighton_/

"A bizarre online advert offering free lodgings in Brighton for anyone willing to dress as a walrus is to be made into a Hollywood film.

Legendary director Kevin Smith, who is best known for his Jay and Silent Bob movies, announced he is to shoot the movie Tusk in Los Angeles after seeing the advert.

The notification, offering free rent on a double room overlooking Queen's Park, was removed by Gumtree after it went viral last month.

But it caught Smith's attention and a hastily written script was sent to production companies..."

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1057..._made_into_Kevin_Smith_Hollywood_film/?ref=mr

...and http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1059..._Gumtree_ad_to_be_turned_into_Hollywood_film/
I didn't know that, thanks ! ... I used to post in his forum, he grew weary of trolls and shut his own forum down which was a shame.

... back onto TUSK though, it started off strong then a character became involved who just made it laughable and the film changed gear, a supposed French guy with a Los Angeles accent who wore a beret and had way to much boring dialogue. Imagine Peter Sellers playing Sam Loomis in 'Halloween' instead of Donald Pleasence and you get the idea ...

Last edited by a moderator:
... back onto TUSK though, it started off strong then a character became involved who just made it laughable and the film changed gear, a supposed French guy with a Los Angeles accent who wore a beret and had way to much boring dialogue. Imagine Peter Sellers playing Sam Loomis in 'Halloween' instead of Donald Pleasence and you get the idea ...

The French guy was Johnny Depp. The trouble with Tusk is all in the end credits, where they play the part of the podcast where they thought up a spoof walrus man movie, fine as a piece of riffing, but why spend all that time and money on something that was an off the cuff comment or three? Red State was such a great step in the right direction for Smith, but now he's determined to make his daughter a movie star and it's messed with his creative faculties (remember how bad Jersey Girl was? Now she's a teenager!).

Last edited by a moderator:
I dug Tusk out of my "to watch" pile before reading Shifty's spoiler review, and I quite enjoyed it, certainly not one of the worst films I have seen.
The French guy was Johnny Depp.
Ha, I had no idea! There was certainly something familiar about him though, and had to put the disc back in this morning to have another look!

Didn't spot that Justin's podcast mate was the kid from The Sixth Sense either.

I see the brats from convenience store - Smith & Depps offspring - are back for Yoga Hosers (plus a certain "French" guy") and are in Smiths next one too, Moose Jaws.

I dug Tusk out of my "to watch" pile before reading Shifty's spoiler review, and I quite enjoyed it, certainly not one of the worst films I have seen.

Ha, I had no idea! There was certainly something familiar about him though, and had to put the disc back in this morning to have another look!

Didn't spot that Justin's podcast mate was the kid from The Sixth Sense either.

I see the brats from convenience store - Smith & Depps offspring - are back for Yoga Hosers (plus a certain "French" guy") and are in Smiths next one too, Moose Jaws.

I've seen that trailer, it's obviously not my demographic but as long as teen girls, in America or Canada, who are glued to their phones and have suddenly noticed the world doesn't make sense like it ? .. and Kevin Smith gets to make more mainstream family comedies with his daughter and Jonny Depp's daughter apparently so people don't think he can only just make stoner comedies anymore ? .. good luck to them all.

DOGMA .. the full film from Kevin Smith ..here .. now .. for free !

It was a comedy. There was this two people going around trying to bump him off when he came back in the body of a coma victim. They worked out it was him. :)

It was a comedy. There was this two people going around trying to bump him off when he came back in the body of a coma victim. They worked out it was him. :)
Reminds me of one of my all time favourite films

images (16).jpeg

I like Dogma. My Mum absolutely loved it which surprised me. Jay and Silent Bob movie and all. I came home and she was watching it on TV laughing her head off. Then she says to me "Alan Rickman doesn't have a dick!"
I pretty much love all of Kevin Smiths films, i do like his rant at Jay in 'J and SB strike back' and 'Clerks' is a masterpiece :p

I've watched them all quite a lot haven't seen the new one, not sure if it's out,Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back The Reboot. Chasing Amy and other lesbian films at the time focused on fisting as a lesbian having sex. So I always thought I was a virgin. But then some older lesbians, later down the line, told me it could mean a finger or a lick as what sex is to a lesbian. So I then realized I had lost my virginity at 17.

I've watched them all quite a lot haven't seen the new one, not sure if it's out,Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back The Reboot. Chasing Amy and other lesbian films at the time focused on fisting as a lesbian having sex. So I always thought I was a virgin. But then some older lesbians, later down the line, told me it could mean a finger or a lick as what sex is to a lesbian. So I then realized I had lost my virginity at 17.
I didnt know KS was making a new one, i just remember 'big bang theory' ripping him about 'clerks' lol

Back