• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

On The Road

Elizabeth 1 seems to have stopped at a whole lot of inns. Makes you think her entire reign was one long pub crawl.

Last stop (December) was the Travelodge at Tot Hill. OK for it's type (basically clean, tidy and nothing broken) but it ran out of hot water one evening, which was annoying as I'd only half a bath at that point.

I had a devil of a time with the shower at a Travelodge in Edinburgh once. It had two rotary concentric controls. No matter how I turned them I got a trickle of water that was eithier cold or scalding hot. Not sure if it was faulty or my technical ineptitude was to blame.

Elizabeth 1 seems to have stopped at a whole lot of inns. Makes you think her entire reign was one long pub crawl.
By all accounts she was a bit tight-fisted and stopping at other people's places meant the hosts felt obliged to entertain her and her retinue for free.

" . . . stopping at other people's places meant the hosts felt obliged to entertain her and her retinue for free."

The case of King Duncan might have caused a moment's hesitation with regard to this policy, though the Bard was only to point out this caveat to her Scots successor! :evil:

Well, sadly noting Fortean to report, although it was a very pleasant stay and the hotel staff were the most laid back I've ever encountered.

The whole area is kind of a time warp, but of the kind you get when an area is rich enough to sustain things like petrol stations with no self-service pumps. I was still trying to work out how to get the pump to start when the mechanic came out to 'fill 'er up, Sir?' As the chap said, 'we still do customer service round here' .

I'm currently sitting in a hotel bedroom in Edinburgh - within short walking distance of three of my favourite pubs in the universe; but I've been on site and exposed to the elements all day long and now feel like I've been battered all over with a lump hammer, so I don't think I'll be visiting any of them.

No ghosts in here, the hotel is too new - but this is Edinburgh, so out there is full of them.

Which three pubs would that be? Give them a plug?

The Thistle Street Bar, on (unsurprisingly) Thistle Street; The Bailie Bar, on St Stephen Street; Bennets Bar, on Leven Street.

I go through phases, sometimes don't visit for ages, and sometimes I just go off them a bit - and there are others I like; I lived down in Leith for a while and had a bit of a different beat when I was there. Now I visit Edinburgh regularly enough - for both work and pleasure - that a lot of people assume I live here, but I'm not a resident.

Tonight, I think, will be the Bailie; it's been another tough old day and there's nothing I'd like to do more than go to bed - but I don't want to turn into a monk now, do I.

The Thistle Street Bar, on (unsurprisingly) Thistle Street

Made a mental note to check this one out next time I'm up there. It looks close enough to where I normally go to be achievable without getting too lost. And as I'm such a bloody tourist, that's a possibility.

My office may leak like a bastard. It may be freezing cold in winter and boiling hot in summer. I may have to scrape a kilo of dry earth off my clothes before I even think about putting them in the washer. I may have to wear hi-viz and a hard hat, be deafened by power tools and reversing alarms and remove a bloody harness every time I want to go to the jakes. But by god the views are sometimes as handsome as those of any banker's penthouse office.

20170110_103804 b.jpg

That's looking South(ish) from Prince's Street Gardens in Edinburgh (east of The Mound) - the square towers are part of Assembly Hall at the top of The Mound. Very dramatic cloudscape that afternoon.

Thanks, very interesting. A city I have unfortunately not spent a huge amount of time in but always enjoyed it when I have.

The guy behind it is Feelgood's manager - he also owns the pub I normally stay at, the Oysterfleet.

Doesn't look as if I'll see much of Budapest today. Had a dental appointment, check up & cleaning. All well. A bit of hanging about though. Double bookings, they're usually more efficient than that.

I hardly slept at all last night and fell asleep when I got back from the clinic and its now 16.17 in Budapest and -4C outside.

Might go out tonight with some guys I met at the clinic. Two Irishmen, two Chinesemen and a Welshman walk into a bar ...

Or I might eat in the hotel, feeling wrecked.

I was rather reluctant to try this restaurant out when I was in Budapest last year - can't work out why.

Fatal restaurant.jpg

Maybe while you are in Budapest, and if you are staying nearby - and if it isn't just too damn cold at night - you can have a look at the effect I mentioned in regard to the towers of the Belvárosi Plébániatemplom (the inner city parish church), on the Pest side of the Elizabeth Bridge.

Mentioned last year on The Optical Illusions Appreciation Thread.

I was rather reluctant to try this restaurant out when I was in Budapest last year - can't work out why.

View attachment 4053

Maybe while you are in Budapest, and if you are staying nearby - and if it isn't just too damn cold at night - you can have a look at the effect I mentioned in regard to the towers of the Belvárosi Plébániatemplom (the inner city parish church), on the Pest side of the Elizabeth Bridge.

Mentioned last year on The Optical Illusions Appreciation Thread.

I know that church. Might have a look tonight if it isn't - 20 c!

Will avoid that restaurant!

Just had another vast Hungarian breakfast so I won't be hungry for a while.

Hope the tooth engineering is going well, Ramon.
With all the dental work you've been having, you must have film star teeth!

Back