• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ageing & Growing Old

Are you growing older?

• Yes, I am

Votes: 82 61.7%
  • No, I'm getting younger

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • Sorry, I don't understand the question

Votes: 16 12.0%
  • I'm a Mod; I think adding silly polls to chat threads is pointless

Votes: 7 5.3%

• Total voters

A thriving charitable retirement community supporting older people of
limited means to live as independently as possible
Our ambition is to be the best place to age in Britain

http://whiteleyvillage.org.uk/

Whiteley Village, a registered charity, near Walton on Thames is set in 225 acres of beautiful Surrey woodland.
digital-eagles.jpg

The Village contains 262 almshouses, a care home and extra care apartments for nearly 500 older people of limited means and is managed by The Whiteley Homes Trust (registered charity 1103056).

There are some self-funding spaces in the care home and extra care apartments, available for short term respite or long stay and these support the funding of Whiteley’s charitable aims. The Trust needs to fundraise every year to provide its services and to maintain the Grade II almshouses. In addition there are future development plans for a new £5m care hub and more almshouses.

The Trust’s role is to enable our older residents to be as independent as possible and contribute as much as they can to Village life. We actively encourage volunteering within the Village. Our committed team of employees delivers home help, nursing and end of life support to our residents, in addition to pastoral care, housing and benefit advice and property management.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I first heard about this place on ITV news yesterday. Whatever they're doing at Whiteley, it seems to be working - there are 11 people there over 100 years old!

Last edited:
I'd love to work there! and then live there!

I wouldn't want to live with ONLY other elderly people. It's not good for the mind! :)

You're wrong. 'Elderly' can mean anything from someone in their 60s who's quite fit but with no close family to an 80-odd year-old electric wheelchair user, and anyone in between. People in sheltered housing mix well and share their interests and activities. Just being older doesn't make them dull.

Older people generally enjoy each other's company. No drama, no screaming babies, no squabbling school kids, no sulky teenagers. They love to see their families but are happy to pack them off home at teatime and pop out to their bridge club or film night.

My mother (about 85) has different clubs and groups to spend time with at hers place every day and evening. They have subsidised days out too, all over the area. This week she's off to the newish local carvery to stuff her face with their famous giant cakes. Afterwards she and her friends will probably sit around in the lovely warm, nicely-lit communal area drinking brews, chatting and playing cards, possibly until dawn.

I'd certainly move into one if I needed to. If I had the energy, of course!

You're wrong. 'Elderly' can mean anything from someone in their 60s who's quite fit but with no close family to an 80-odd year-old electric wheelchair user, and anyone in between. People in sheltered housing mix well and share their interests and activities. Just being older doesn't make them dull.

Older people generally enjoy each other's company. No drama, no screaming babies, no squabbling school kids, no sulky teenagers. They love to see their families but are happy to pack them off home at teatime and pop out to their bridge club or film night.

My mother (about 85) has different clubs and groups to spend time with at hers place every day and evening. They have subsidised days out too, all over the area. This week she's off to the newish local carvery to stuff her face with their famous giant cakes. Afterwards she and her friends will probably sit around in the lovely warm, nicely-lit communal area drinking brews, chatting and playing cards, possibly until dawn.

I'd certainly move into one if I needed to. If I had the energy, of course!

Apart from Rynner obviously :)

Joking aside I'd agree, the in-laws recently moved into a retirement village and love it. The are both still very active and enjoy the social side.

The father in law has mentioned finding people who have fallen over and can't get up, usually it's a health thing but also due to people being pissed.

Also lots of shagging.

Sounds like a festival!

No, I won't be persuaded!
I live in a cul de sac with families of mixed ages, and that's what I prefer.
I've enjoyed seeing babies grow up and start school, I've even held a neighbour's baby just a few days old -delightful.
It's good to have a young couple as neighbours, and teenagers aren't ALL bad for goodness sake!
An age-restricted community is as unnatural as a single sex school!

Sheltered housing -with a warden and red button for emergencies -is a different matter.
It's probably the best option if one has serious health /mobility problems.
But you probably only get a new neighbour when the previous one dies!

I live on an estate with its own Community Centre, and my friend and I do go to the "Over 55 Club" once a week. (Over 65, in reality!)
But I would hate to be stuck with just that age group 24/7. Totally claustraphobic!

I'm 55. It seems strange to me that there is housing and all kinds of amenities for 'over 55s'.
I don't look or feel old.

I'm 55. It seems strange to me that there is housing and all kinds of amenities for 'over 55s'. ...

Think of the interior adaptations / features as residential childproofing for second childhoods ... :evil:

I'm 55. It seems strange to me that there is housing and all kinds of amenities for 'over 55s'.
I don't look or feel old.
But you will! Once you're over the hill the downward slope gets steeper!

I'm 61 and I still feel like this (I'm the dyed blond guy with the bass) . The mirror and my knees don't agree though. And you'd struggle to recognise me now compared to that picture.

1919448_102099486480472_2953175_n.jpg
I'm hoping you were in 'Spider'.

I'm hoping you were in 'Spider'.
No, 'fraid not. The band you see part of there is the Reptiles. Was earlier in an outfit called Splitz - unfortunate name, because we did, just as we appeared to be getting somewhere.

A man blew up his own house on his birthday because he was depressed at turning 50.

William Flindell filled his flat with gas and set it off with a lighter after spending the day drinking, a court heard.

The huge explosion ripped the windows out of his living room and showered bricks and debris across the street in Newport, South Wales.

Flindell escaped with his life, but lost the use of both hands in the blast, suffered burns to 58 per cent of his body and was kept in hospital for two months.

It caused £200,000 of damage and also hurt two other people in the building at the time, who had minor injuries and were discharged from hospital the same day. ...

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2017/03/01/man-b...-depressed-at-being-50-6481113/#ixzz4a7fBRPRi

Fowey's very own Dawn French goes viral after This Morning viewers are shocked by this revelation
By Tom_Gainey | Posted: March 02, 2017

http://www.cornwalllive.com/fowey-s...s-revelation/story-30174818-detail/story.html

Ah, a bit of juicy scandal, eh?! Well, no...

The 'revelation' is that Dawn will turn sixty this year! Which so amazed fuckwit viewers that they sent 'Twitter and Facebook into meltdown'!!! :rolleyes:

The local press is getting more rubbish by the day... :mad:

We (my wife and myself) must be a bit strange because when we see some people around our own age group (late 40's early 50's) a lot look really old and boring. I think a lot is to do with your outlook on life. My wife is off to Octoberfest in Munich again this year with a group of women. They range in age from mid 20's to mid 50's having initally gone last year to celebrate a hen do. They all had such a good time every one of them lost their voice from laughing.

Years ago we had a family trip with the two daughters to see Marilyn Manson in Manchester. What I'm trying to say is I don't know why some people feel the need to act like they are a certain age. We don't make arses of ourselves by trying to dress and act young but enjoy whatever we want to do with no hang ups about it.

Three women at the same nursing home on Monday celebrated living more than 100 years with cake, songs and flowers while sharing their secrets of long life with friends, family and neighbors.

The three centenarians -- Lucille Price, 100, Sophia Smith, 101, and Grace-Marie Baker, 102 -- cut into a white cake while more than 50 people gathered at the Crown Heights Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation in the borough of Brooklyn.

After the singing of "The Star-Spangled Banner," the crowd serenaded Baker, Smith and Price, all in wheelchairs, with "Lift Every Voice and Sing."

"We're going to be celebrating life and the continuation of a celebration in our lives," Claudia Titus, director of activities at the center, said of the party for the three. ...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/good-...g-home-celebrate-100-years-of-life/ar-AAnWBUI

It's not just people that grow old - infrastructure does too:
Thousands of bridges 'not fit' for heaviest lorries

More than 2,500 bridges in England are not fit to support the heaviest lorries, a study has found.
The RAC Foundation discovered 2,512 council-maintained bridges are not suitable for 44 tonne vehicles.

Devon County Council has the highest number of substandard bridges with 249, followed by Somerset (210) and Essex (160).
Councils currently have plans to repair just 416 of them nationally, blaming a shortage of funds and a lack of skills.
Many of the structures have weight restrictions in place, while others have to be closely monitored.
Some have also been put in a managed decline, researchers found.

RAC Foundation director, Steve Gooding, said: "In the face of growing traffic volumes and ageing infrastructure the danger is that without an adequate long-term funding settlement we will see more rather than fewer bridges with weight restrictions, with the backlog bill getting bigger all the time."

In September, a Grade 1 listed bridge in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, was closed for months after it was driven over by a lorry more than 10 times heavier than its weight limit.
Last July a driver was fined after he ignored eight warning signs before driving a lorry more than six times the weight limit over Swarkestone Bridge, Derbyshire, which is an ancient monument.

Almost half (47%) of bridges managed by Slough Borough Council are inadequate, more than anywhere else in England, followed by Bristol (37%).
The cost of clearing the backlog of work on all bridges is estimated to be £3.9bn.

The survey was carried out in partnership with the Association of Directors of Environment, Economy, Planning and Transport.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39222319

A lot of British bridges date back to medieval times, when a horse and cart was the heaviest traffic, and many of them still remain, especially in rural areas.

Dame Vera Lynn is 100 years old, and there was a surprisingly moving documentary about her on BBC 2 tonight. Apparently she still answers every letter she is sent! I came away from the programme with a lot of respect for her.

Dame Vera Lynn is 100 years old, and there was a surprisingly moving documentary about her on BBC 2 tonight. Apparently she still answers every letter she is sent! I came away from the programme with a lot of respect for her.
Her life is illustrated here with a series of photos:
Dame Vera Lynn: The Forces' Sweetheart turns 100
20 March 2017

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39271620

On the radio today, the newsreader informed us that Paul Weller was hampering Dame Vera's centenary celebrations. Then DJ Lauren Laverne had to follow this up shortly after to explain the newsreader had actually said "poor weather" was the culprit.

For the last couple of days I've had medical problems (I won't go into details), but it's possible my time on this planet is coming to an end.

If so, I'd like to say it's been nice knowing you all...

But if not, I'll continue to annoy you all as much as I can! :twisted:

Hope you will be here for some time yet, love reading your entries.

For the last couple of days I've had medical problems (I won't go into details), but it's possible my time on this planet is coming to an end.

cya mate :D

Hope you're around for some time to come!

But I bet you'll come back and haunt us anyway!

Back