• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Spooked On The Job: Your Haunted Workplaces

Haunted by my idleness, yes :)
Yep - it appears to be spreading.
I work in an office in Coventry England, it is surrounded by haunted locations and three of the most haunted roads in the area. The office has various activities including noises, sighting of shadow people and two ghosts a male and female both wearing red scarfs.When you work late you do not want to be the last person in the office as the shadows start moving and the air become very weird.

But one report has been made that children playing ring a ring of roses in the car park late at night has been seen.
Spooky - I wonder what the significance of the red scarves are though.

I worked at a rest home that was haunted, it was only
when the management saw that I was puzzled by what
was going on that they came clean and told me it was
a ghost, they had lost a few workers in the passed
so did not mention it, people that see these things rarely
seem to tell others except when they realise they are experiencing
the same things.

I work in a 17th century manor house - I'm guessing it's haunted by something or other.

The depot at my work is haunted. Doors open and close on their own, things move around and faces are seen through frosted glass doors when people know they're in the building alone.

A few weeks ago I was chatting to my manager as we walked past my locker. When we came back that way seconds later one of my shoes that'd been on top of it was on the floor across the room. It must have lifted over another pair of shoes that were up there.
Boss wasn't keen, didn't scare me. :cool:

I worked at a rest home that was haunted, it was only
when the management saw that I was puzzled by what
was going on that they came clean and told me it was
a ghost, they had lost a few workers in the passed
so did not mention it, people that see these things rarely
seem to tell others except when they realise they are experiencing
the same things.
Interesting that - my partner works in a nursing home . One elderly male resident loved the placed so much he used to tell staff he never wanted to leave. After he passed, for a short time he was seen by staff a number of times ambling along the corridor outside his former room . Perhaps not surprising that we don't hear more such stories relating to care homes given the potential adverse reaction from staff and potential clients.

When I worked in care homes I heard spooky stories galore, which I've been careful to share on here. They're all accessible if you dig a bit on the ghost threads. The stomping/snorting horses stand out.

My current workplace has a satisfyingly haunted toilet/shower area. A colleague, B, had a phone conversation with another lady, T, who she thought had called her from that area - could hear her banging doors and singing.

'You're making a right row in there!' said B. 'Nope,' said T, 'I'm at home on the sofa!'
B investigated and the area was dark - nobody there. B will NEVER set foot in there again!

It seems that I might. My workplace is old, built onto the foundations at least of a medieval property on a medieval street. The upper part looks like it was extensively rebuild in 18th century, with an extension on the back I'd say was latter 20th century. It's a shop and has been used for trade/retail for at least 200 years- I've done some research.

The stock room and offices are on the first floor, and this is where the oddness has been. So far a locked door that we're not allowed access to for health and safety reasons (it leads to an upper floor and attic) has been found open a number of times. The kettle in the kitchen area kept switching itself on when no one was in there - I did not witness this myself but colleagues have, and blamed it on the electrics. I have felt a sense of someone watching me, and on a couple of occasions following me, in there. It always seems to be coming from the area of the locked door, but it seems to come and go and most of the time I feel nothing.

However today I had my first experience of something more tangible. There's a short flight of stairs leading from the stock room to the kitchen (which also feels a bit odd) and I sat there for an unofficial break after shifting some stock. I could see the entrance to the small kitchen but not into it. I heard a very loud repeated clicking or rapping about 6-8 times. It COULD have been the kettle switch being hit because it has a loud click, but it definately didn't switch on, or something else. I stood up straight away, being the intrepid fortean explorer I am, and went into the kitchen. It's tiny, you could only squeeze 3 people in at a time and there's no other entrance. As I entered the air seemed smokey and a bit dim but it cleared after a moment and brightened up (it was sunny outside). There was no more sound from the first step I took towards it.

There was no one else on that level, there's only one way up and I was sitting next to it, no other way into the kitchen than the one I could see, and it's the first floor above a large locked and definately empty courtyard so no one outside.

I've researched the history of the building and found nothing unusual, though it is a very old town centre with quite a few ghost stories attached to some of the other buildings.

One point of possible interest - there's effectively a river in the basement. There's a watercourse running through the town that was been buried and built over centuries ago, and we apparently have some kind of culvert that floods when it rains and you can hear it like a waterfall when you're near the cellar door. That is also sealed locked so I've never seen it. We're not allowed access to that either, again for health and safety reasons.

Man I would definitely want to be the last person in the office!

:)

In my job it's called 'Last Man Standing' (even if it's a woman!) and carries responsibilities such as turning off lights and closing windows. Some dread those little tasks.

I thought I did last week, was working late and twice very clearly saw a shadow of a figure walk past through the glass wall of my office.

Grabbed my stuff up to go and finish my work from home before realizing that what I was seeing was movement from the TV screen playing a video in the reception area being reflected off of several glass partition walls, down a corridor and round a corner - in itself quite an unbelievable achievement!

I used to occasionally work night shift on a hospital ward (The Queen's Hospital, Burton On Trent) ..

I'd be siting at the nurses station and often catch what looked like someone walking into a patient's side room out of the left corner of my eye .. I knew enough to not take those 'sightings' seriously because I was tired, the lights had been dimmed, it was from the corner of my eye etc ..

The weird thing was that most patients who were close to death in that room would often tell us about the kid or kids in their room or in their bed, one woman was concerned about where the kids parent's were ..

The building was originally built as a TB centre but when I worked there, it was care of the elderly ..

I used to occasionally work night shift on a hospital ward (The Queen's Hospital, Burton On Trent) ..

I'd be siting at the nurses station and often catch what looked like someone walking into a patient's side room out of the left corner of my eye .. I knew enough to not take those 'sightings' seriously because I was tired, the lights had been dimmed, it was from the corner of my eye etc ..

The weird thing was that most patients who were close to death in that room would often tell us about the kid or kids in their room or in their bed, one woman was concerned about where the kids parent's were ..

The building was originally built as a TB centre but when I worked there, it was care of the elderly ..

We have threads on hospital ghosts. Places're full of the buggers.

My brother use to work in a 24 hr Retail Store. The night shifts were horrible with incidents like sudden noise pitches, paranormal customers which pay cash and then vanishes after just after leaving.

Sounds like the ideal customer.

Did they take their purchases with them? If not you could put the stuff back on the shelves...

My sister use to work in an "haunted" hotel. The incidents she personally witnessed were paintings in reception launching themselves horizontally off walls and smashing across the room. The switchboard light to signify a telephone was in use would frequently come on when a particular room was empty and locked, and there was another room in which the bed would keep breaking, even when the room hadn't been used or a new bed had been installed.
Disgruntled former guest perhaps?

I used to work in a chip shop in Oakham, it was called 'Catmose Fish Bar' and my mate owned it, chip shop at ground level, Bistro at the middle and our flats at the top ..

Just as I started, I met an old man called Ken who already worked there ... in fact he'd worked there back when it was a mill house and there was a room on the top floor he still refused to go into that was now the bathroom .. a shower, a bath etc ...

One night I decided to make a romantic bath for my then girlfriend and lit candles, lit incense etc .. anyhoo, we were both in there that night, it was a hot summers night with no windows in there so no breeze and all of the candle flames suddenly started burning sideways .. we weren't disturbed so much as intrigued so just shrugged it off.

Spooky stuff: cold spots, switches that wouldn't have been switched off were switched off, the sounds of light footsteps etc so we poured a drink for 'her' after we'd finished building the bar .. we all agreed jovially that whatever 'it' was, it was a female presence and that was that .. smells of perfume and a constant feeling between us that we were being watched but not disturbing feelings, more a comforting one.

I remember bashing my shin one night walking up the stairs to the middle level, I stumbled on the stairs because the light switch was at the top so I was in darkness but when I came back down, the light was on at the lower level which didn't make sense ... switches in that building ..

Me and the ex were sitting in the bistro after hours one night when we both suddenly felt very cold and apprehensive to the point where she said she wanted to leave the building so we did and our moods almost immediately lifted.

Being an Oakham local, she asked around and discovered that a couple had owned the building and had run it roughly the same way we were but in the 60's .. they'd hired a girl to work in the shop, the husband had a fling with her, the wife (who was pregnant) found out and gassed herself at the top of a nearby hill in her car.

.. I'd previously dreamt in that building of walking up a hill, finding an empty car with a plastic bag on the back seat, looking inside and finding a dead baby ...... not the sort of dream you forget in a hurry ..

edit: as the building looks today ..

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@52.669359,-0.726774,130.74h,5p,1z

Last edited:
The office we were in last year was definitely haunted. sounds from the kitchen as if someone was moving the cups around, shadows moving, the feeling of someone standing behind you, etc. The new office is a lot calmer, although I have heard my name called a couple of times and there is the sounds of doors closing.
Bear in mind at night there is only 2 of us in the building...

The office we were in last year was definitely haunted. sounds from the kitchen as if someone was moving the cups around, shadows moving, the feeling of someone standing behind you, etc. The new office is a lot calmer, although I have heard my name called a couple of times and there is the sounds of doors closing.
Bear in mind at night there is only 2 of us in the building...
The kitchen in the place I've mentioned above seemed to be a focal point as well ? the cook used to accuse me of deliberately switching off his hot water overnight but even he realised there was weird stuff happening that couldn't have been my fault, I even saw an old man's head in relief walking past one night (I was the one walking, the almost certainly optical illusion was created I think but the electric blue fly zapper thing on the wall) ... forgive me but I've go an urge to listen to this now ..

Last edited:
The kitchen in the place I've mentioned above seemed to be a focal point as well ? the cook used to accuse me of deliberately switching off his hot water overnight but even he realised there was weird stuff happening that couldn't have been my fault, I even saw an old man's head in relief walking past one night (I was the one walking, the almost certainly optical illusion was created I think but the electric blue fly zapper thing on the wall) ... forgive me but I've go an urge to listen to this now ..

Yea, we saw lots of fleeting movement, normally around the doorway into the office. It was like someone was just hanging around there

In Swifty's shop the paranormal customers take things and then vanish.

Mind you he lives in Cromer.
This lunchtime I came across one of those .. she was with her bloke and they cheerfully told me they were looking for cigarette buts on the pavement and clearly pissed .. they're not dangerous people, just desperate so I gave them a bit of rolling baccy instead .. then she started telling me she absolutely hadn't nicked a can of beer yesterday from our shop, honestly !! .. I'd already been laughing about it the day before with the lady who works behind the counter and we've got her doing it on CCTV. Her excuse to our shop lady member of staff at the time was "I dunno ? .. I might have done it subconsciously ?" ... she's about 60, we're not going to bar her, just watch her a bit more closely from now on .. :rolleyes: .. God loves a trier ..

Back