• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Poltergeist Activity Around Charles Fort Box Of Notes

ForteanHerald143

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
"Oct. 22, 1924—Yesterday, I was in the front room, thinking casually of the pictures that fell from the walls. This evening, my eyes bad. Unable to read. Was sitting, staring at the kitchen wall, fiddling with a piece of string. Anything to pass away time. I was staring right at a picture above corner of bureau, where the notes are, but having no consciousness of the picture. It fell. It hit boxes of notes, dropped to floor, frame at a corner broken, glass broken."

-Link Source + Read More : http://www.sacred-texts.com/fort/wild/wild20.htm

"Tonight, when I came home, A told me of a loud sound that had been heard, and how welcome it was to her, because it had interrupted E, in a long, tiresome account of the plot of a moving picture. Later, A exclaimed: 'Here's what made the noise!' She had turned on the light, in the front room, and on the floor was a large picture.

Nov. 5 - I have not strongly enough emphasized A's state of mind, at the time of the fall of the picture. E's long account of a movie had annoyed her almost beyond endurance, and probably her hope for an interruption was keen."

This is very like Jung's account of the synchronicities which attended some of his tense encounters with Freud in 1909.

It is discussed here. Exteriorization of Emotion.

Fort was writing in 1933 of events from the mid-1920s. I don't think Jung's account was published until much later.

Two parallel quotes from the two writers head this page on Flying Saucers and painter Budd Hopkins.

I wonder if his paintings ever fall off walls.? We have come full-circle. :)

This is very like Jung's account of the synchronicities which attended some of his tense encounters with Freud in 1909.

It is discussed here. Exteriorization of Emotion.

Actual quotation:

While Freud was going on this way, I had a curious sensation. It was as if my diaphragm were made of iron and were becoming red-hot—a glowing vault. And at that moment there was such a loud report in the bookcase, which stood right next to us, that we both started up in alarm, fearing the thing was going to topple over on us. I said to Freud: “There, that is an example of a so-called catalytic exteriorization phenomenon.” “Oh come,” he exclaimed. “That is sheer bosh.” “It is not,” I replied. “You are mistaken, Herr Professor. And to prove my point I now predict that in a moment there will be another such loud report!” Sure enough, no sooner had I said the words than the same detonation went off in the bookcase. To this day I do not know what gave me this certainty. But I knew beyond all doubt that the report would come again. Freud only stared aghast at me. I do not know what was in his mind, or what his look meant. In any case, this incident aroused his mistrust of me, and I had the feeling that I had done something against him. I never afterward discussed the incident with him.​
--From Memories, Dreams and Reflections.

Back