• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Films Your Parents Should Not Have Let You Watch

This man, no doubt an upstanding Thespian, was more or less indistinguishable from the Childcatcher to my young mind.

It's not Bob Grant that's the problem in HotB, it's the thought of what Wilfrid Brambell wants to do with Doris Hare that's the nightmare material.

Oh, and Watership Down features a seagull yelling "Piss off!", which is definitely non-U.

Maybe that could have been a beautiful er, thing. Not for children though.

Lol, I vaguely remembered hearing something about the bad language in Watership Down on some radio programme. Thanks for jogging my memory. I'm sure kids today have heard far worse before they're out of the womb. Also I reckon that's a pretty accurate translation of what seagulls are screaming at you as they dive for your chips anyway. The bastards.

Now one of my favourite films, Jaws caused many a sleepless night when I was small, also ruined many a sunday dinner as my dad would always play the soundtrack as we were eating! I was convinced a giant shark was waiting under the table to get me!
Does anyone remember a film called The incredible melting man? my parents thought this acceptable sunday afternoon viewing, still freaked out by the poor blokes face!! probably extremely tame now but still :creepy:

My parents were strict with what I was aloud to watch my dad let me see robocop on rented vhs because ask him but he was not happy about me seeing it in the end because it was too strong for me and I had seen some 18 rated movies before like Kung fu movies.

Yeah, when I first saw Robocop, I was pretty shocked by how visceral the violence was.

Does anyone remember a film called The incredible melting man? my parents thought this acceptable sunday afternoon viewing, still freaked out by the poor blokes face!! probably extremely tame now but still :creepy:

I read about ol' Melty in a book when I was a kid and it sounded totally compelling. Then I saw it a while later and was bored out of my mind. Great makeup (by Rick Baker), but strictly amateur hour otherwise. "Oh my God... it's his ear!"

Yeah, when I first saw Robocop, I was pretty shocked by how visceral the violence was.
I remember we paused the video at the point where Robocop drives over a guy who had just been dipped in acid. My mates video had a frame-by-frame function so we watched the guy explode over and over again.

I remember we paused the video at the point where Robocop drives over a guy who had just been dipped in acid. My mates video had a frame-by-frame function so we watched the guy explode over and over again.
Sorry to correct you...it wasn't Robocop who drove into him, it was Clarence Boddicker.

Sorry to correct you...it wasn't Robocop who drove into him, it was Clarence Boddicker.

You're right. That's weird. We watched it over and over and I was 100% sure that it was Robocop driving, chasing after somebody else. But you're right. It was Clarence who hit him, being chased by Lewis. A great example of a false memory there.

Sums it up:

'U' certificate? Lunacy.

Holiday on the Buses. The horror. The horror.

The scene when Stan gets dumped onto the frying eggs used to bother me as a little one. That film may also be partly responsible for giving me a strange aversion to holiday camps. That and the nightmare I had about a dead toddler in the pool at Butlins in Minehead during a cheapo family holiday in the late eighties.

When I was 8, my parents rented Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory(on Betamax) for me to watch. I was in tears at the end. My folks just said, 'it's a sad film'. I wasn't sad, I was terrified. Another film that screwed with my head is The Snowman. It was shown to us at a pre-Christmas treat at school. I remember the feeling it gave me. Not one of warm, glowing sentimental festive cheer, but one of pure loss, loneliness and heartbreak. A feeling that nothing lasts forever. That one really upset me.

I remember one of those nostalgia shows, I Love Christmas it might have been, where they discussed The Snowman and John Thomson (comedian/actor) said flatly "I can't watch it". I knew exactly what he meant.

I remember one of those nostalgia shows, I Love Christmas it might have been, where they discussed The Snowman and John Thomson (comedian/actor) said flatly "I can't watch it". I knew exactly what he meant.
Yeah. 'I'm squawking in the air...' - that put me off.

When I was 8, my parents rented Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory(on Betamax) for me to watch. I was in tears at the end. My folks just said, 'it's a sad film'. I wasn't sad, I was terrified. Another film that screwed with my head is The Snowman. It was shown to us at a pre-Christmas treat at school. I remember the feeling it gave me. Not one of warm, glowing sentimental festive cheer, but one of pure loss, loneliness and heartbreak. A feeling that nothing lasts forever. That one really upset me.

Did it have the scene where they're going through the tunnel and there's a chicken getting it's head cut off? I remember that most from the original cinema release but it doesn't appear on the TV airings I've seen.

At least it's not 'Dolly Braces'.

Last edited:
I remember well looking forward to a film about a swarm of killer bees when I was maybe 10 years old, I always enjoyed films like that. I sat there, as the film started and water for the action. Time passes and the film was a bit unsettling, I wondered how long it needed to go before the bees at least appeared on screen. As time went by, I began to feel uneasy, this was unsettling and something was amiss. Eventually I realised that they had changed the schedule at the last moment and instead of bees, I was watching Audrey Rose - a film about a reincarnated child. Very creepy at that age and although I did not stick with the rest of the film, I had seen enough to kind of disturb me!

Did it have the scene where they're going through the tunnel and there's a chicken getting it's head cut off? I remember that most from the original cinema release but it doesn't appear on the TV airings I've seen.

I've only ever seen this on TV and I remember seeing the chicken get it's head cut off. But the thing is, I thought it was a buff/orange coloured bird - and very much alive when it gets the chop. Not saying it ever was but it goes to show how easy these 'Mandela' things can start.

I saw it on TV and it did have that scene in it. We had to watch the film because it's one of my husband's beloved childhood favorites, but it creeped me out and I was an adult at the time.

A side effect of this is whenever my kids misbehave, the oompa loompa song goes through my head. '"Who do you blame when your kid is a brat..." :oops:

I used to go to the cinema a lot as a kid and teenager (or 'the pictures' as we called it) but can only remember going twice with my mum - the innocuous (and not as good as Mary Poppins) Bedknobs and Broomsticks and the joyfest that is Kes. Yes, it's a fine film - and I see Ken Loach around Bath quite regularly, nice to see a Palme d'Or winner taking his rubbish to the tip! - but for a six-year-old!!!

I used to go to the cinema a lot as a kid and teenager (or 'the pictures' as we called it) but can only remember going twice with my mum - the innocuous (and not as good as Mary Poppins) Bedknobs and Broomsticks and the joyfest that is Kes. Yes, it's a fine film - and I see Ken Loach around Bath quite regularly, nice to see a Palme d'Or winner taking his rubbish to the tip! - but for a six-year-old!!!

As a child I can remember being DESPERATE to be taken to see Bedknobs and Broomsticks, I forget why now. Possibly the entrancing live action/animation underwater sequence?

Sadly didn't catch it at the cinema but it was on TV eventually. Can't even remember now if it was worth the wait.

Bedknobs is okay, and pretty Fortean in its themes too - gotta love a film that includes witchcraft, a ghost army and Nazis. Okay, so it's not exactly Indiana Jones...

As a child I can remember being DESPERATE to be taken to see Bedknobs and Broomsticks, I forget why now. Possibly the entrancing live action/animation underwater sequence?

Sadly didn't catch it at the cinema but it was on TV eventually. Can't even remember now if it was worth the wait.
I really wanted to see it too.
My parents didn't take me to see any of those Disney films beyond that point. I think they objected to it on religious grounds. I ended up watching those programmes on telly (usually at Easter or Christmas) that showed clips from Disney films. Very frustrating not to ever get to see those films.
Now I don't care.

Tell you what I WAS taken to see as a kid, in Manchester no less! The Wizard of Oz. In a huge cinema with a fountain and all sorts in the gigantic foyer. There may even have been people in costume wandering about. Maybe it was an anniversary showing or summat. Anyway, I was suitably impressed.

At least it's not 'Dolly Braces'.

In the boat ride sequence there's also the image of a huge millipede slithering over someone's lips, I seem to remember?

In the boat ride sequence there's also the image of a huge millipede slithering over someone's lips, I seem to remember?

Nothing to do with Willy Wonka but as a bit of trivia, the tarantula that terrorises James Bond in the film Dr.No was a giant centipede in the book.
Horrible, it crawled up his leg and torso and stopped to drink the sweat that was forming on his brow.

When Corinne Clery gets eaten by the dogs in Moonraker, I thought that was nightmarish when I was little. Maybe I shouldn't have watched that bit. It's still rated PG, though!

Tell you what I WAS taken to see as a kid, in Manchester no less! The Wizard of Oz. In a huge cinema with a fountain and all sorts in the gigantic foyer. There may even have been people in costume wandering about. Maybe it was an anniversary showing or summat. Anyway, I was suitably impressed.
You saw it in 1939?
Wow, you ARE well preserved. :p

It was a flop, I gather, on first release and was not much celebrated until television showings revived it.

It would not have come into its own until colour television came in. Escargot will, no doubt, tell us the date she was lucky enough to see it on the big screen.

I'm guessing it was the seventies. :)

I caught a bit of it on television one Christmas, before being hurried off to some duties. I never saw the film complete until I bought a DVD set about 2006.

Last edited:
Back