• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Corpse Mishandling

Widow watched pall bearers drop husband's coffin before running off
A bereaved widow and her five distraught children watched as pall bearers let her husband's coffin slip from their grasp and smash open
By Eleanor Steafel
9:15AM GMT 09 Nov 2015

A widow watched in horror as pall bearers dropped her husband's coffin into his grave before running from the scene.
Mrs Swales, 47, said the men ran off as her distressed sons Gavin and Dean were left to remove their father's body from the grave.

Mrs Swales told how she collapsed in shock at the side of her husband's grave after the lid of his coffin was smashed open.
She said: "I screamed when I saw the coffin drop and had to be taken to the ambulance. I was traumatised and so were the kids.
"There were gravediggers who shouted at the pall bearers as they ran off, they were saying 'give him some dignity'.
"I was seen by paramedics and a priest. I just screamed and the next thing I knew I was in the ambulance."

Mrs Swales, from Newcastle, told how her sons could see their father's face through the broken lid of the coffin.
She said: "There was a slight cut to his cheek, and the blue lining in the coffin was ripped."

"My two youngest children were distraught. My sons managed to get him out of the grave and put him right before we got him to the hearse.
"There were no apologies from the funeral director, they left my kids to deal with it."

Mrs Swales and her five children were forced to hold a second funeral for Gavin, who died last month of leukaemia, 24 hours after the first.
"We were so nervous in case anything else went wrong, it was absolutely traumatic," she said.

etc...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...-drop-husbands-coffin-before-running-off.html

didnt the pall bearers take the hearse when they ran off, they just left it?

didnt the pall bearers take the hearse when they ran off, they just left it?
Pallbearers and mourners don't travel in the hearse but in separate vehicles.

The funeral director stayed with the hearse. (And I hope he doesn't get paid!)

Thanks, im not very funeral savvy
And i hope he doesnt either, and why the heck did they run, we all make mistakes

These are bad enough to give me a coffin fit.

The regional administration of northwest Russia's Murmansk region is looking into complaints by a hospital patient who said he was forced to share a room with a dead body after the hospital's morgue ran out of space, the regional FlashNord news agency reported Sunday.

The family of the patient said he had to share the room with the corpse for two days, while a hospital spokesperson maintained it “wasn't a question of days, but of three hours at the most,” the report said.

The patient at the Sevryba hospital, run by the Murmansk regional Health Ministry, had left his room “for a couple of hours” and returned to find his roommate dead, a family member was quoted as saying.

“To the request to remove the corpse, nurses responded that he would have to coexist with [the dead roommate] for at least a day, because the morgue had run out of space,” the relative was quoted as saying.

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/...atient-complains-of-dead-roommate/563078.html

Too late!
129083_600.jpg

Guatemalan cemetery plots are rented, and as that implies, the tenants can be evicted. *Caution - link contains photo of corpse*

My rough-and-ready translation of the two main paragraphs:
"If the rental period ends or the rent isn't paid, the tomb cleaners open the crypt, remove the bodies, and re-inter them. Any remains which are not claimed by relatives are placed into plastic sacks, labelled, and buried in a mass grave.

Bodies laid to rest in tombs above ground undergo rapid dessication, meaning they mummify rather than decompose. Them's the rules at Guatemalan cemeteries."

Last edited:
'Corpse mishandling' means something like doing something inappropriate with or to a corpse. There's no specific meaning. For the friends and relations of this particular dear departed one, seeing them being shoved manually up a steep hill must've looked dangerously undignified.

I wonder if this is some sort of prank by medical students?

Third human foot found in garden in Bath

A third human foot has been found close to where two others were discovered earlier this year.

The limb was found in a garden in Cranwells Park on Wednesday and has been sent for forensic analysis, Avon and Somerset Police said.

A force spokesman said detectives were "keeping an open mind" as to whether it was linked to two similar incidents in the city.

All three feet have been found within a few hundred yards of each other.

Tests showed the first foot found in Weston Park East in February was "probably" a medical teaching aid. The second foot, found last month in the same area, is still undergoing tests.

BBC

I'm sure they're not supposed to either, also sure that I've heard of several cases where they did!

Maybe someone who picks up medical waste is doing it, or someone with access?

Brazil footballer's ex-lover 'was fed to dogs'
Page last updated at 03:12 GMT, Friday, 9 July 2010 04:12 UK

The missing former lover of a top Brazilian football star was strangled and then fed to dogs, police say.

Eliza Samudio, 25, was a former girlfriend of Bruno Fernandes, goalkeeper for Flamengo, Brazil's most popular club.

He handed himself into police after a warrant was issued for his arrest over her disappearance nearly a month ago.

Mr Fernandes, 25, has denied any wrongdoing, and said he has a "clear conscience".

But police say a teenage cousin of Mr Fernandes has given evidence that the goalkeeper was involved in her kidnap and suspected murder.

Ms Samudio had said that the married footballer was the father of her baby.

Police say Ms Samudio was taken by force from a hotel in Rio de Janeiro on the day of her disappearance and was strangled in the city of Belo Horizonte.

They say her body was cut up and parts were fed to dogs, while the rest was buried under concrete.

Police are still searching for her remains, but say her death is "materially proven".

Police have also arrested Mr Fernandes's wife, Dayane Souza, and several of his friends.

They say interrogation of the other suspects has backed up the account given by Mr Fernandes's teenage cousin.

Flamengo have suspended Mr Fernandes's contract and say the club lawyer will no longer be acting in his defence.

He had been goalkeeper of the Rio de Janeiro club since 2006, and captained them to the Brazilian championship last year.

Mr Fernandes has expressed regret that the allegations could damage his chances of playing for Brazil in the 2014 FIFA World Cup finals. :!:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/latin_ ... 565346.stm

Boa Esporte signs convicted murderer Bruno after early release from prison
by Carlo Campo 11h ago

A real-life soap opera is unwinding in Brazilian football, as Bruno Fernandes de Souza is returning to the pitch.

Bruno, who was convicted of murdering his former girlfriend and having her body fed to his dogs, signed a two-year contract with Boa Esporte Clube on Monday and was presented by the club at dawn on Tuesday, only 17 days after the Brazilian 'keeper was granted the right to remain at liberty. In 2013, he was sentenced to 22 years and three months in prison after confessing to ordering a friend to murder Eliza Samudio and concealing her body.

Related - Bruno's return: Should a murderer be allowed back into football

According to Globo's Bruno Giufrida and Regis Melo, Boa Esporte threatened to shut down the presentation if there were questions asked that didn't pertain to football. But the 'keeper was asked why he thought he was worthy of pulling on a club's shirt again, to which he replied: "I'm not going to answer you."

Bruno said: "I'm very happy for the opportunity given. I've been getting ready for a few years. People run from me because of what happened in the past. Boa is opening the door. I'm very happy, motivated. Thank you for being here. God is opening the doors for people. I'm sure it's God."

Questions were barred by Boa Esporte, but, when Bruno wasn't bothered, he said: "People, like my wife, didn't accept that I end my career. She motivated me the most. The first thing to do is to prepare to play. God will guide my steps. Anyway, I have to believe in myself." ...

http://www.thescore.com/news/1254528

A bit of last year's news, but I thought it might be of interest:

Ray Brent Marsh released from prison after Tri-State Crematory sentence
by: Ross Cavitt Updated: Jun 29, 2016 - 7:32 PM

WALKER COUNTY, Ga. - The man at the center of the Tri-State Crematory scandal walked free from prison Wednesday after serving his full 12-year sentence.

Ray Brent Marsh pleaded guilty in 2004 to various charges, including theft by deception, abusing a corpse, burial service-related fraud and giving false statements, after the bodies of 334 people in various stages of decomposition were found scattered across his crematory property in Noble, Georgia.

Marsh could have been sentenced to thousands of years, but took a plea deal that gave him a 12-year sentence.

Channel 2’s Ross Cavitt was the only news reporter at the Central State Prison in Bibb County Wednesday morning as Marsh was walked out by his attorney, McCracken Poston.

Poston was Marsh’s original attorney. He represented him through the early 2000s and then came back 12 years later to pick him up at prison.

Poston says his client's release is another test of the Christian theology of forgiveness.

"I think it's time to forgive Ray Brent Marsh. It's time to welcome him back to the community. I just want people to leave him alone and give him a chance," Poston said.

Marsh, who came from a respected family with deep ties in Walker County, has never offered an explanation for his actions.

In 2012, a movie was made about the incident.

“We don’t know why it happened, and that’s real life, which isn’t as black and white as we make it seem,” said movie director John Henry Summerour, who grew up in Chickamauga, a town of little more than 2,000 residents in Walker County. “There’s still a lot of unresolved feelings, a lot of people who are still struggling with what happened.”

After ordering several forensic tests for Marsh, Poston told Cavitt that he believes mercury exposure at the crematory is to blame for his client’s choices.

“His metals were all over the board. I was told by an expert at the University of Kentucky this was indicative of mercury exposure,” Poston said.

He believes mercury fillings in people’s teeth released a toxin during the cremation process that slowly took its toll on Marsh.

“I think it affected his thinking,” Poston said. “(Failing equipment) in combination with the mercury exposure caused effectively the mad hatter syndrome.”

He says the longer Marsh spent away from the Tri-State Crematory site, the more level-headed and clearer he seemed.

In his 12 years in the prison system, Marsh earned a master's and doctorate in theology.

Marsh has never spoken about his crimes, and Poston says provisions in Marsh's plea deal will likely keep his mouth shut for good.

"If he ever says anything that's interpreted he might make anything from it, it triggers a provision in the sentence where he owes Walker County $8 million, so that might prompt you to be a little quiet, I think,” Poston said.

That provision was designed to keep Marsh from inking a book or movie deal or anything to profit off the tragic scenario discovered by the GBI in 2002.

In a statement to Channel 2 Action News, the parole board says it did consider Marsh for parole in 2008 and 2013, but denied him.

He is now on probation for the rest of his life. The conditions of that probation include getting a job.

Marsh’s lawyer says now that he’s out, Marsh is hoping to quietly fade away.

"I just want people to leave him alone and give him a chance,” Poston said.

“He’s out. He’s done his time. He will live his life and he will do the right things by people,” Marsh’s other attorney, Stuart James, said.

Dead babies can take care of themselves :eek:

When Kyzer Gayle died in 2005 he was little over a year old. But it would be 10 years before the authorities knew about his death and longer still before they discovered what had happened to the boy from north London.

When asked about the whereabouts of her son, Victoria Gayle, 32, told different tales to different people. Friends and family heard that the boy - Kyzer Gayle - was with his dad. A London man who believed himself to be the child's father thought Gayle had custody. Some official agencies were informed that Kyzer had been fathered by a traveller who took him away at a young age. But the stories were false.

Kyzer died in 2005 when he was 13-15 months old and his mother hid the fact for more than a decade. Despite asking Gayle questions, no-one had tested the truth of her replies by establishing where her son really was.

BBC

Another story I'm posting at work with no link, sorry -

Japanese cities are now charging companies to dispose of human 'cremains' instead of paying them to take the ashes away.

This is because when the larger bones have been extracted and ritually packed by the family, in the traditional Japanese way, what's left is a pile of ashes which often contains gold and other precious metals.

Firms that cottoned on to this possibility were soon raking it in.

Another story I'm posting at work with no link, sorry -

Japanese cities are now charging companies to dispose of human 'cremains' instead of paying them to take the ashes away.

This is because when the larger bones have been extracted and ritually packed by the family, in the traditional Japanese way, what's left is a pile of ashes which often contains gold and other precious metals.

Firms that cottoned on to this possibility were soon raking it in.

Can't find any new news stories on that.

Could you give the headline on the story?

Is this it? This Times article is only available as a truncated teaser unless you register / pay / whatever ...

Japanese cities profit from precious metals in crematorium ashes

They are the last physical trace of the human being, traditionally an object of reverence and respect rather than commercial exploitation.

But some of Japan’s biggest cities are making hundreds of thousands of pounds in extra revenue by “mining” precious metals from the ashes of people incinerated in municipal crematoria.

The practice of sifting human ashes for metal from teeth and surgical implants causes understandable unease for some Japanese, and several cities have banned it.

At least one city, Yokohama, has introduced rules to ease the concerns of bereaved families that the remains of their dead loved ones are being scavenged for profit. ...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...recious-metals-in-crematorium-ashes-r6xdk9kkh

Back