• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean-Themed Albums, Songs & Music

Quake's reminded me of a lesser known Fortean Kate Bush track:

The video's better than the song, to be honest, but it's a good concept - based in fact, maybe?

This is an enigmatic song - what's happening: a serial killer on a rampage? The return of Jesus on Earth?

This is an enigmatic song - what's happening: a serial killer on a rampage? The return of Jesus on Earth?

I just assumed it was about a woman who has become unhinged after being abandoned by a lover and walks the streets of the town waiting in vain for him to return for her. Or maybe I'm taking too literal an interpretation.

I just assumed it was about a woman who has become unhinged after being abandoned by a lover and walks the streets of the town waiting in vain for him to return for her. Or maybe I'm taking too literal an interpretation.

That's the more or less standard interpretation, and the only one that ever made coherent sense to me.

I recall back in the 1970's there were some who tried to leverage the 'mansion in the sky' bit to reframe it as some sort of Christian-themed storyline. The music was readily accepted into a gospel context. However, the lyrics connoted enough secular / personal malaise (e.g., 'crazy', aged 41 and still called 'baby', actions unavoidably insinuating delusion) that it made the focal subject (person) seem desperate rather than devout, and hence nullified the song as something glorifying the Christian belief system.

I'd say it was akin to the less-than-exalting impression given by Leonard Cohen's Suzanne in stating Jesus eventually "knew for certain only drowning men could see him."

That's the more or less standard interpretation, and the only one that ever made coherent sense to me.

I recall back in the 1970's there were some who tried to leverage the 'mansion in the sky' bit to reframe it as some sort of Christian-themed storyline. The music was readily accepted into a gospel context. However, the lyrics connoted enough secular / personal malaise (e.g., 'crazy', aged 41 and still called 'baby', actions unavoidably insinuating delusion) that it made the focal subject (person) seem desperate rather than devout, and hence nullified the song as something glorifying the Christian belief system.

I'd say it was akin to the less-than-exalting impression given by Leonard Cohen's Suzanne in stating Jesus eventually "knew for certain only drowning men could see him."

I guess I like the alternate theories best. There is a scene out of Stephen King's Cycle of the Werewolf that involved a deluded lady who is convinced that the manbeast is a suitor about to bring her love just before he kills her, and for me something like that is the weird undercurrent going on in the song...

Angela Alverson said:
This song was written to promote John Keel's book "Jadoo." The composer and performers are unknown.

John Keel is perhaps best known as the author of "The Mothman Prophecies".

"ghunt:

(edited to add)

From Anomalist Books:

http://www.anomalistbooks.com/book.cfm?id=73

Someone, we know not who, once called Jadoo "the greatest book ever written on the black magic of the Orient." But we do know that there will never again be another book like it. Jadoo, a Hindi word meaning "Black Magic," captures a world that is now lost to us—the strange, dark, mysterious world that was once called the "Orient." This story of a real-life Indiana Jones of the 1950s named John Keel contains everything but a trip to Venus in a flying saucer--a subject our newsman/explorer would become famous for a decade later. In Egypt, the fearless Keel was cursed by a mummy and befriended members of a strange snake-charming cult. In Iraq, he played Russian roulette with a notorious desert bandit and lived among the Yezidi devil-worshippers. Later, in India, he was buried alive and discovered the secret of the Indian rope trick, which he then performed for incredulous reporters in New Delhi. And in a riveting finale, he chased the Abominable Snowman through the little known Himalayan kingdom of Sikkim before being unceremoniously booted out of Singapore for being "an undesirable alien."

Last edited:
:psych:

There's a surprising number of songs with lyrics about insanity and incarceration in some sort of asylum, if you stop and think about it.

Just off the top of my head:

Ozzy's "Diary of a Madman"
Nazareth's "Suitable Case For Treatment"
Motorhead's "Funny Farm"
Blue Oyster Cult's "Great Sun Jester" (arguably)
Roger Miller's "I'm a Nut" (very nearly qualifies)

...and surely a great many more.

Oh and of course this thing:

not really a "funny" song at all, if you read the lyrics.

Disturbing...

:worry:

Last edited by a moderator:
:psych:

There's a surprising number of songs with lyrics about insanity and incarceration in some sort of asylum, if you stop and think about it.

Just off the top of my head:

Ozzy's "Diary of a Madman"
Nazareth's "Suitable Case For Treatment"
Motorhead's "Funny Farm"
Blue Oyster Cult's "Great Sun Jester" (arguably)
Roger Miller's "I'm a Nut" (very nearly qualifies)

...and surely a great many more.

Oh and of course this thing:

not really a "funny" song at all, if you read the lyrics.

Disturbing...

:worry:

Both songs are quite disturbing.

Wait a minute - They're Coming to Take Me Away Ha-Ha is sung (well, spoken) from a man who has been abandoned by his dog. So how could a dog record an answer song?

A Fortean, dog-headed woman?

The widely accepted "dog" interpretation is a difficult fit for the lyrics.

"You laughed" --- Laughing dogs are few and far between.

"I cooked your food, I cleaned your house" --- Seems highly unlikely.

And, who would beg a dog not to leave?

Here's that old chestnut Love Potion #9:

And another version of the love potion formula, Kiss You by Cyndi Lauper!

The Fall have had quite a few numbers that would fit into this over the years. Here's an early one, recorded in a damp warehouse apparently.

The song UFO by Jim Sullivan:

The weird theory: that he disappeared after being abducted by a UFO

Back