• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Misinterpreted Headlines

The local TV news last night showed a woman in an orange jumpsuit and shackles, along with a bold title caption:

Life in Prison for Beating Death

I knew survival in this madcap world had become a daunting challenge, but I wasn't aware it had been declared a major crime.

"Chilling footage appears to show giant Bigfoot wandering through British woodland for the first time" was the headline in The Sun (link provided as evidence, but please don't give that rag any advertising revenue).

I mean, what were the chances? The first time Bigfoot takes a stroll in the British woods, and a camera was there to record it. I reckon her agent must have tipped off the paparazzi :cool:

... I mean, what were the chances? The first time bigfoot takes a stroll in the British woods, and a camera was there to record it. I reckon her agent must have tipped off the paparazzi :cool:

Hmmmm ... Maybe this is a clue in and of itself ... Bigfoot is a Kardashian!

Is this an actual weapon?

I don't know about the specimen in the photo, but yes - there were such weapons. It seems there was a fad among armorers around the 15th / 16th centuries for 'combination weapons' incorporating some form of flintlock firearm capability. A stabbing blade capability evolved into the bayonet on long guns. The axe blade version was most often seen on shorter pieces as small as flintlock pistols.

I've seen them called 'axe guns', 'axe muskets', and a variety of other labels. I'm not sure there's a commonly agreed name for the category.

Such items continued to be produced (as serious weapons) at least as late as the 18th century.

They were allegedly popular at sea as close-quarter weapons when boarding an adversary vessel (or repelling boarders). Owing to this maritime connection, you'll sometimes find them referred to as 'boarding axes' or 'boarding guns'.

It would seem combination weapons of this sort have enjoyed a resurgence among (e.g.) war-gamers, so the number of modern knock-offs probably already exceeds the number of original / historical ones.

I don't know about the specimen in the photo, but yes - there were such weapons. It seems there was a fad among armorers around the 15th / 16th centuries for 'combination weapons' incorporating some form of flintlock firearm capability.

There is a pistol with a built-in knife mentioned in Wuthering Heights.

Screen Shot 2016-09-20 at 16.13.17jpeg.jpg

Search "pistol" here -
http://www.online-literature.com/bronte/wuthering/

Unfortunately I can't work out how to copy the photo from chrome, but please Google 'apache pistol' for the definitive generic dagger, knuckleduster and revolver combination. Confusingly the weapon has no connection with the native American tribe, but takes its name from a parisian Street gang. In earlier years the firearm/edged weapon design was to upgrade a discharged weapon from a club and to mitigate the vulnerability of the user, whenever a misfire occurred.

As you can probably imagine, I spent far too many decades reading books about weapons and visiting esoteric museums.

The whole thing is made of chocolate, too, so it can be easily disposed of, as long as you don't have any chocolate or killing allergies.

It's a gun, knife and knuckleduster all in one.

... and (as is often the case with such 'Swiss Army Knife' assemblages) affording suboptimal, useless, or even dangerous versions of the subsidiary parts / functions.

Looks to be three years old! The US date format may, I suppose, be a preference setting. :confused:

When I first saw this science headline on a news aggregator site I thought it must have been truncated. Nope ...

Higher coffee consumption associated with lower risk of death

... And the first sentence in the online summary does nothing to change the first impression ...

Higher coffee consumption is associated with a lower risk of death, according to research presented today at ESC Congress. ...

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2017-08/esoc-hcc081917.php

Yet people who drink rather a lot of caffeine can get heart palpitations.

As long as it keeps beating, the details of the tempo are a secondary concern ... :evillaugh:
Haha, yes. :D
My Dad has had an irregular heartbeat for some time. We joke that it's a jazz heartbeat. It's just corrected itself recently, probably as a result of finding the right medication.

Notorious prisoner Charles Bronson wants actor Tom Hardy to father his child

Charles Bronson has revealed he wants Tom Hardy to father his child. Don’t we all, mate.

In a letter to his friend, one of Britain’s most infamous criminals has revealed that he’s feeling broody. But, seeing as he’s a notoriously violent prisoner, and has never been permitted conjugal visits at Wakefield jail, West Yorkshire, he wants hunky Hollywood actor Tom Hardy to impregnate his soon-to-be wife Paula Williamson.

Yes - I really did think there was some sex change oddity going on.

Higher coffee consumption just leads to higher alertness, so people don't die in accidents.
But...it can lead to heart palpitations and make it difficult to get a full night's sleep.

Back