• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Fog, Anyone?

I'm wondering if there could be some natural explanation for the slow drift in, or a combination of environmental factors? Any ideas, anyone? ...

An algae bloom might conceivably explain the gas.

I've not seen any data on wind conditions / direction(s) for the day, which might offer some clues as to where the haze could (or could not) have originated.

I noted on a news clip that there seemed to be at least 2 fair sized
boats under the cloud, did no one on them have any effect or were they
involved in some way.

The crew of one boat - a fishing boat I think - caught up in it was on the news - they said they noticed the effects right away with stinging eyes, breathing affected, etc, & were advised to get inside a cabin by coastguards.

Reactions: RaM
The first few minutes of R4's Inside Science last night talked about this.

The guy thinks it was an algal bloom that did it. But since algal blooms do not smell, there must have been a simultaneous burst of ozone from all the pollution nearby. I am not too convinced!

The first few minutes of R4's Inside Science last night talked about this.

The guy thinks it was an algal bloom that did it. But since algal blooms do not smell, there must have been a simultaneous burst of ozone from all the pollution nearby. I am not too convinced!

It seems wonderfully anachronistic that the world of science is baffled and nobody can say for certain--straight out of Wells.

It seems wonderfully anachronistic that the world of science is baffled and nobody can say for certain--straight out of Wells.

Indeed. I'm reading The Massacre of Mankind by Stephen Baxter at the moment, sequel to The War of the Worlds. It could come from that.

That's more likely to happen in Cromer.
Fun fact: in Cromer they call fog 'sea threat' .. you won't find that anywhere on the internet.

edit: .. and on some foggy days, the sea threat completely removes the line between the horizon and the sky so the pier looks like it's just going out into an endless blue void .. it looks pretty cool ..

Last edited:
Fun fact: in Cromer they call fog 'sea threat' .. you won't find that anywhere on the internet.

edit: .. and on some foggy days, the sea threat completely removes the line between the horizon and the sky so the pier looks like it's just going out into an endless blue void .. it looks pretty cool ..

And the Lovecraftian creatures come ashore and mate with the locals.

To be honest, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference ..

We call it haar up here in sunny Scotland, looked it up and apparently the term may have German, Dutch or Saxon origins. Interestingly it's called Sea Fret in Yorkshire and Northumberland.

It does give some cool effects, like boats appearing to float in the air.
2558265075_9d895f59a3_b.jpg

A shipwreck? Might a wartime sunken ship then.

The chemical cloud that caused a Sussex beach to be evacuated on Sunday might have come from a shipwreck, the coastguard agency has suggested.

Part of the East Sussex coast was engulfed by the cloud and about 150 people were treated for breathing problems, stinging eyes and vomiting.

The Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) said emissions from the area's many shipwrecks might be the cause.

It is also investigating discharges from passing ships or lost cargo.

Birling Gap beach was evacuated after people began suffering unexplained symptoms from a "mist" that descended.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-41130937

Back