• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I won't argue the point considering how many misinterpretations and outright hoax's were been plagued with.

Try doing this, go to this webpage and don't cheat by reading the article first, but scroll down to near the bottom of the page until you come to the big image with the three photos (labelled A, B, and C are). Now, one of the images is a still from the film, one is a fox taken from elsewhere and popped into the background, another is a thylacine image from Hobart Zoo dropped in there.
That is very neat. I think the body looks too short too.

One thing I miss most in my research into this is thylacines. I don't think thylacines have come into my thylacine research for weeks now. It's all osmiridium prices, birth certificates and licensee applications these days. I'm hoping to get my little bio of Elias Churchill out by Thursday, but right now it looks like it's more likely that an actual tiger will turn up on Thylacine Day than that.

I think it's 'B' that is definitely canid - it has a Eutherian penis.

Not being familiar with Eutherian penis's I'll have to take your word for it. Frankly I wasn't aware that one was in evidence. But I think we are all pretty much in agreement the picture does not show a Tasmanian Wolf, dang it.

Not being familiar with Eutherian penis's I'll have to take your word for it. Frankly I wasn't aware that one was in evidence. But I think we are all pretty much in agreement the picture does not show a Tasmanian Wolf, dang it.

I think you may be more so than you realise. Eutherians are what people used to call 'placental mammals', but that's a misleading term, so it isn't used anymore. And, as you're both a placental mammal, and a male I'd say you're as much of an expert as anyone.

What Mungoman, who clearly knows his stuff, is referring to is that in Metatherians, only represented today by the marsupials, the penis is distal to, or behind in this case, the scrotum, whereas with Eutherians it's on top. This is what gives the male thylacine it's distinctive profile where the tail meets the body. As here https://img07.deviantart.net/3497/i/2016/030/e/f/thylacine_by_fulmar1-d9pupms.png

Although, many people mistake this as a distinctive feature of both genders, whereas in fact the female's profile was much more dog like. Seen here, http://cdn1.arkive.org/media/2B/2B6...entation.Large/Thylacine-with-mouth-agape.jpg

What ever it is it seems to be lame.
front right I think. the last clip I saw
looked the same unless they have a
strange gate full stop.

What ever it is it seems to be lame.
front right I think. the last clip I saw
looked the same unless they have a
strange gate full stop.

If it's the Day video, then it's one of the rear legs that's lame, hence the hop. Something which thylacines didn't do anyway, but which some think they must have done because they're marsupials, and all marsupials hop in their eyes. Silly buggers.

I may be wrong but it seems to nod it's head as the front right goes down
and that makes think front right.

I couldn't say, it's been a while since I've seen it, but the main injury is definitely to one of the hind legs. The gait in the video, which seems to get everyone so excited, is characteristic of a canid with a wounded back leg. They can't support their weight on the injured leg, so instead of the two and two pattern of walking they just hop along.

One thing I miss most in my research into this is thylacines. I don't think thylacines have come into my thylacine research for weeks now. It's all osmiridium prices, birth certificates and licensee applications these days. I'm hoping to get my little bio of Elias Churchill out by Thursday, but right now it looks like it's more likely that an actual tiger will turn up on Thylacine Day than that.

I visited Churchill's hut. I wouldn't have liked to say there in a Tasmanian winter.

I visited Churchill's hut. I wouldn't have liked to say there in a Tasmanian winter.

Not sure Churchill did either. He was actually quite a wealthy man around the turn of the thirties, and was only ever in the Florentine for a few years. I spoke to Mike about the hut a few weeks ago.

I was hoping to bring out his life story, such as it it's recoverable, for Thursday, but I've got no chance, more like next month now. I'd say there are no explosions, gun fights, or car crashes in it, but there are. Also a £10 wallaby skin rug, and £356 of stolen osmiridium.

The picture of the man we've been given isn't the reality.

I guess you are never too old to learn something new Interesting posts.

I've met these guys and seen the film blow up on a big screen tv.

Did it convince you? All the other animals on the video were clearly identifiable - and the only fuzzy "could be anything" images were supposed to be a Tassie Tiger? It's just not terribly convincing to me, no matter how much I wish they'd still be around.

Looking for DNA samples in scat of fur might be much more useful than fuzzy videos.

Im on the track of DNA and scat every time i'm in Taz.
It looks fuzzy on a computer screen but i saw it blown up on a big screen at their house and studied it for over an hour. I don't think its a quoll, fox or dog. I think its a Tasmania wolf.

Im on the track of DNA and scat every time i'm in Taz.
It looks fuzzy on a computer screen but i saw it blown up on a big screen at their house and studied it for over an hour. I don't think its a quoll, fox or dog. I think its a Tasmania wolf.

Well, that's good to hear. I know there's a fair bit of compression with online videos and such.

All I say is: I hope it is what you think it is.

That would certainly be great news. So many nay-sayers out there.

Back