• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
What I like about the new Klingons is it isn't just a new space race with a spray-painted egg box attached to their heads which is the default new alien in pretty much all of ST

Last edited:
What I like about the new Klingons is it isn't just a new space race with a spray-painted egg box attached to their heads which is the default new alien in pretty much all of ST

I always got the feeling when the make-up department had to come up with a new alien they just stuck a Cornish Pasty on someone's forehead.

I always got the feeling when the make-up department had to come up with a new alien they just stuck a Cornish Pasty on someone's forehead.

i doubt it. Cornish Pasties are sacred.

If there are Cornish Pasties around you are not going to attach it someones head unless you're a c 8nt.

Last edited:
Having chewed on it a bit, I'm warming to Discovery. Having a main character who is a disgraced officer could be quite interesting and on the klingon side I'm sure we will see more of White Chocolate, a pariah having to prove himself.

i doubt it. Cornish Pasties are sacred.

If there are Cornish Pasties around you are not going to attach it someones head unless you're a c 8nt.

Well it is Hollywood where nothing is sacred. Of course when it comes to the Ferengi all you need is a plastic bum and some glue.

Just watched episode 3 of Discovery and I'm beginning to warm to it now. The only problem is the introduction of the most annoying person in Starfleet, I can't understand why they didn't shove her in front of the monster on the USS Glenn :)

But as the captain seems to be keeping the beastie we live in hope...

Oooh! That looks good. 'Galaxy Quest' the series.

Just watched episode 4 of Discovery. Oh dearie me.
We have a navigation method straight out of Dune.
Someone doing something incredibly stupid and getting themselves killed.
More Klingons grunting, growling and making sounds like badgers clearing their throats.
Starfleet doing some really dumb salvage work on the U.S.S. Shenzhou - take the old telescope but leave a vital component of the warp drive that the Klingons can use.
The old Trek cliche of the Discovery being the "only ship in the quadrant" that can respond to an emergency.
And the best line of dialogue so far in the series:
"My ganglion remain unconvinced."
I'm going to have to work that one into a conversation :reyes:

Ironically I began watching ST Discovery and The Orville the same week. The juxtaposition is interesting to say the least. I almost feel both could be improved if they melded the two shows together.

I do have issues with the spore drive, I have no knowledge of a scientific basis for that.

Also that security officer. Bad decisions like that are usually preceded by the phrase "Hold my beer, I'm going to try something."

I do have issues with the spore drive, I have no knowledge of a scientific basis for that.

Also that security officer. Bad decisions like that are usually preceded by the phrase "Hold my beer, I'm going to try something."

Well steam engines run on coal and plant propulsion engines run on spores. It's really quite simple.

Someone probably couldn't be bothered researching any science but remembered the Guild Navigators in Dune.

Yeah, the Dune influence did stand out somewhat. At least we have one reason why no-one uses the spore drive in the future. It involves torturing animals to get it to work. Even so, you'd expect some of the more evil species to still use it.

Still, Lorca is clearly a super-villain, so I'm sure he won't have a problem with torturing animals just to make his daily commute easier.

And I was also unsure of the telescope bit. Why rescue that, and not properly scuttle the ship?

Yeah, the Dune influence did stand out somewhat. At least we have one reason why no-one uses the spore drive in the future. It involves torturing animals to get it to work. Even so, you'd expect some of the more evil species to still use it.

Still, Lorca is clearly a super-villain, so I'm sure he won't have a problem with torturing animals just to make his daily commute easier.

And I was also unsure of the telescope bit. Why rescue that, and not properly scuttle the ship?

If they didn't do that the poor old Klingons would have been stuck and none of the writers had a better idea of how to get them out of their predicament.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the spore drive beastie turns out to be a human who was mutated by the spores and that was the reason for the spore drive not being used.

You can get your own monster cub, it will just be a really small one.

Where, exactly, is Captain Kirk?

A) Ripped off by REM later.

But REM didn’t follow it up... even though it was right up their street.

Last edited:

I read elsewhere that the telescope onboard the Shenzou was a replica, and that the one passed on to Michael was the real family heirloom. How true that is, is anyone’s guess.

Good episode though. Very interested to see where they are going with the Spore Drive. For me it could go one of two ways. Either be too unreliable, or unethical to continue with, or be the basis for the formation of Section 31. I really like the look of the new Klingons, unlike many others it seems.

Mark

Possible spoilers!

Midnight's Edge After Dark
Captain Robb's Trek Log Episode 1 Discovery Ep 4 & Orville Ep 5 Roundtable
:dinner:

I read elsewhere that the telescope onboard the Shenzou was a replica, and that the one passed on to Michael was the real family heirloom. How true that is, is anyone’s guess.

Good episode though. Very interested to see where they are going with the Spore Drive. For me it could go one of two ways. Either be too unreliable, or unethical to continue with, or be the basis for the formation of Section 31. I really like the look of the new Klingons, unlike many others it seems.

Mark

Section 31 was already in existence during Jonathan Archer's time of the 2150's...

Section 31 was already in existence during Jonathan Archer's time of the 2150's...

Thanks for the correction.

Could Discovery be a Section 31 ship then, sort of a black ops military science vessel? Maybe without the majority of the crew even knowing it. Lorca is certainly shady enough.

Black alerts, black badges and biological weapons. I'm going with yes.

I'm hoping for a tardigrade versus sea monkeys fight.

How about that final scene? Good to see Star Trek adress an issue that they have ignored for so long; the importance of dental hygiene.

Back